PDA

View Full Version : John = Gay (or European)? ~the Covert Mission to Sneak Gayness into Stargate~

FallenAngelII
October 28th, 2007, 10:38 PM
One of the male captors said "We assume he blew them out into space" when referring to Laryn. We know it was Laryn because (s)he later said "I really will jestison you into space" to John.

Does this mean Laryn was a man posing as a woman? ZOMG! John kissed a guy and didn't care! McShep is more probable than ever!

This is a joke thread but considering the overral immature tone of the episode, it wouldn't really surprise me if this was the writers' way of introducing a Gay Character and Gay Moment to the show. Years from now, when questioned about why there were never any gay characters on Stargate, the writers will cite Laryn.

So, random goof (and really, someone should've caught that, I immediately reacted) or is he gay (or European)?

Disclaimer: The thread title is a reference to "Legally Blonde ~the Musical". It is in no way disaparaging Europeans, after all, the only way one would be able to take offense to it would be to think that being gay (or fey) is a negative thing.

SaberBlade
October 28th, 2007, 11:24 PM
With a rack like hers, I really hope she wasn't a man or i'd be going to hell.

However I think missed that little faux pas when he refered to Larrin as possibly being a dude.

FallenAngelII
October 28th, 2007, 11:33 PM

However I think missed that little faux pas when he refered to Larrin as possibly being a dude.
Maybe they're special implants (easily taken out) used to trick people into thinking he's a woman? After all, said trick worked on John. His libido got the best out of him and the ship fell into Larrins big manly hands.

Once the mission was over, Larrin could just remove the voice distortoner and special implants through Asgardesque beaming without leaving any scars.

nekoi
October 28th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I seriously doubt it.

I heard them say "She."

FallenAngelII
October 28th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I seriously doubt it.

I heard them say "She."
Funny. I'm re-watching the episode as we speak and he clearly says "he".

DigiFluid
October 29th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Random capitalization and excessive character use makes my eyes bleed.

Shan Bruce Lee
October 29th, 2007, 12:52 AM

For somebody that hates the episode so much you really are spending a lot of time watching it and talking about it.

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 12:57 AM
For somebody that hates the episode so much you really are spending a lot of time watching it and talking about it.
I make it a point to not argue about something I am clueless about.

borgteddy
October 29th, 2007, 01:11 AM
I seriously doubt it.

I heard them say "She."

That's what I thought too, since he's referring to Laryn, it makes more sence for it to be she. But I've just rewatched that part of the conversation (twice just to be sure) and he is saying he.

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 01:18 AM
That's what I thought too, since he's referring to Laryn, it makes more sence for it to be she. But I've just rewatched that part of the conversation (twice just to be sure) and he is saying he.
So now do you agree on that John might be (or European)? Or at least that Larrin might've been male? :D

Franklyn Blaze
October 29th, 2007, 01:22 AM
For someone so ( or European) he's surely in denial. (given his record n all :D)

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 01:31 AM
For someone so ( or European) he's surely in denial. (given his record n all :D)
The Coalition of Protectors of Sheppard's Virtue will claim that he never touched any of those women other than kissing. So, really, that was just him putting on airs.

Jedted
October 29th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Okay, i watched just watched that scene over and the guy distinctly says "YOU blew him out into space", I didn't here any he/she.

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 01:39 AM
What scene are you refering too exactly?
When John's being interrogated. Larrin (the might-be-man) enters and says "Tell him what happened to the last man who disappointed me" followed by one of the guys saying "We don't know. We never found his body." followed by the last guy saying "We assume he (Larrin) blowed him out into space.".

So, obviously, Larrin is a man.

Jedted
October 29th, 2007, 01:46 AM
(Edited previous post)

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I can only say "Rewatch it again and adjust your volume". Put it on the highest setting and perk up your ears. He does not state "You".

Jedted
October 29th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I can only say "Rewatch it again and adjust your volume". Put it on the highest setting and perk up your ears. He does not state "You".

I heard it clear enough to know he wasn't refering to Larrin as "He". He was responding to Larrin while letting John know what happened to the last prisoner.

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 02:04 AM
No, he said 'you', sweetie. A bit of wishful thinking on your part? ;)

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I heard it clear enough to know he wasn't refering to Larrin as "He". He was responding to Larrin while letting John know what happened to the last prisoner.
Who was this "he" who blew the last prisoner out into space, then, if it wasn't Larrin? The only possible "he" he could've been referring to would've been the prisoner himself, but then he would've also added the word "himself".

We know the person referred to by "he" (which is clearly the word used here) is Larrin because she later threatens to "really jetison" John into space.

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Who was this "he" who blew the last prisoner out into space, then, if it wasn't Larrin? The only possible "he" he could've been referring to would've been the prisoner himself, but then he would've also added the word "himself".

We know the person referred to by "he" (which is clearly the word used here) is Larrin because she later threatens to "really jetison" John into space.
There was no 'he', the guy says 'you'. He does swallow the word, and it sounds a bit breathy, but he's looking directly at Larrin when he answers, and if you watch his lips clearly he says 'you' :)

Jedted
October 29th, 2007, 02:12 AM

Get it through you your head, Larrin is NOT man. Nobody used the word "he" in referance to Larrin.

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 02:19 AM
A lot of shows get re-dubbed in the studio to make speech clearer. What the lips say do not necessarily correspond to what is said. A lot of times, lips will stay unmoving while speech is uttered.

Also, while the lip movement is kinda weird for "he", it's even weirder for "you", as you form a round shape with your lips (however briefly) when you say "you", yet he didn't.

I hear no breathiness in his speech.

And as a side note, the guy isn't even looking at Larrin (not that I doubt that whom he's referring to). For one thing, Larrin's standing to his left, but he stares straight ahead. When the camera zooms out, he's clearly looking at John and then throws a quick look at Larrin.

prion
October 29th, 2007, 09:02 AM
One of the male captors said "We assume he blew them out into space" when referring to Laryn. We know it was Laryn because (s)he later said "I really will jestison you into space" to John.

Does this mean Laryn was a man posing as a woman? ZOMG! John kissed a guy and didn't care! McShep is more probable than ever!

This is a joke thread but considering the overral immature tone of the episode, it wouldn't really surprise me if this was the writers' way of introducing a Gay Character and Gay Moment to the show. Years from now, when questioned about why there were never any gay characters on Stargate, the writers will cite Laryn.

So, random goof (and really, someone should've caught that, I immediately reacted) or is he gay (or European)?

I found the word 'blew' to be odd as I would have said jettisoned. Perahps it means the Travelers don't know that word, or don't know many big words <G> or the writers were trying (and failing) to insert some sexual innuendo in that sentence. But, nah, don't see any gay agenda.

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I found the word 'blew' to be odd as I would have said jettisoned. Perahps it means the Travelers don't know that word, or don't know many big words <G> or the writers were trying (and failing) to insert some sexual innuendo in that sentence. But, nah, don't see any gay agenda.
I assumed people would be insightful enough to realize that this is a joke-thread based on facts (that he said "he").

The Travelers know the word "Jetison" as Larrin later threatens to "really jetison [John] into space".

Poubelle Man
October 29th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Hey!

What do you mean "European" ???
I'm a proud non-gay European !!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

stclare
October 29th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Didnt John mention something about a spa? perhaps thats where he gets his hair and nails done. although i think a waxing may be in order ;)

jds1982
October 29th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Hmm I just rewatched it and the guy does say he, maybe just a flubbed line no one caught.

s09119
October 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Hmm I just rewatched it and the guy does say he, maybe just a flubbed line no one caught.

I disagree. I just rewatched the scene and I believe it went like this:

Larrin: Tell him what happened to the last man who disappointed me.
Guy 1: We don't know. We never found his body.
Guy 2: We assumed you blew him out into space.

I think the reason Guy 2 was looking vacantly ahead was just because that's how some bad guy thugs talk in TV. I've seen episodes of Alias where, in order to intimidate someone (but usually Syd), some thug will just stare off into space while telling someone about some torturous thing, in this case Larrin's jetisoning someone into space.

And why does gay now equal European...? That's kind of offensive.

SoulReaver
October 29th, 2007, 01:56 PM
There was no 'he', the guy says 'you'. He does swallow the wordhttp://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/ouch.gif such openly Covert, implicitly blatant intent to Sneak sexual innuendo into Gateworld is downright Immature & outrageous ! http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/mad.gif

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 01:58 PM
http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/ouch.gif such openly Covert, implicitly blatant intent to Sneak sexual innuendo into Gateworld is downright immature & outrageous ! http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/mad.gif
:lol: Touché. Good job I'd just finished my mouthful of water when I read your post, or my keyboard would be very unhappy right now!

Jeffer
October 29th, 2007, 03:07 PM
he Def says "We assumed you blew him out into space"

Atlantis1
October 29th, 2007, 04:29 PM
http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/ouch.gif such openly Covert, implicitly blatant intent to Sneak sexual innuendo into Gateworld is downright immature & outrageous ! http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/mad.gif

:D

Mitchell82
October 29th, 2007, 04:37 PM

I strongly suggest you watch it again because he says YOU not he. As much as you obvioulsy hate this ep and season 4 in general you seem to be making up things to hate.

prion
October 29th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I assumed people would be insightful enough to realize that this is a joke-thread based on facts (that he said "he").

The Travelers know the word "Jetison" as Larrin later threatens to "really jetison [John] into space".

It's hard to tell on GW what's a joke and what isn't ;)

KiLL3r
October 29th, 2007, 05:35 PM
i think it sounds like he after rewatching it but this DOES NOT mean the larrin is a man. That reasoning is totally retarded. This whole thread is GAY tbh

Agent_Dark
October 29th, 2007, 05:37 PM
This whole thread is GAY tbh
oh noes, don't use that word to represent something othet than homosexuality! you wouldn't want to get redded by fallenangell!

Michelle05
October 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I don't know... to me the way John and Rodney have interacted in the last two episodes, it seems the European-ness has crossed over from covert to overt, and I'm enjoying it very much!

Mattathias2.0
October 29th, 2007, 06:46 PM
First off, what does being European have to do with anything? I completely misunderstand, and from what I get from it - it could be taken offensively.

Second off, this is one of those Going-Into-Far-Too-Much-Detail type of things. Larrin is not a man, the the guy was not referencing to her but to Sheppard in regards to the previous prisoner (you know, as a way to freak him out).

Third off, there is no need to state anyone is in denial, etc., etc. because we can be civilized in discussion with eachother.

jds1982
October 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Rewatching it it is kind of hard to tell if the guy says he or you, although it sounds like he to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTaDljJkyZo
The scene is about five minutes in.

travis
October 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Oh for god sake, who cares if its a he, she, shim or damn hippopotamus lol does it really matter. I guess what ever that tickles your fantasies.:D

Cambo
October 29th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Here is the Transcript:

LARRIN: Well, don't get my hopes up and then disappoint me. (She looks at Silas.) Tell him what happened to the last man that disappointed me.

SILAS: We don't know. We never found his body.

NEVIK: We assumed you blew him out into space.

SHEPPARD: I get it.

He definately says YOU!! Why suddenly does everyone want our hero's to be gay? Is everyone so keen to join the JK Rowling Fanclub? Dumbledore Gay - Oh Please!!!!

Vapor
October 29th, 2007, 08:15 PM

AutumnDream
October 29th, 2007, 10:50 PM

wow

Willow'sCat
October 29th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Why suddenly does everyone want our hero's to be gay? Everyone? Yep my 70 year old dad was saying just the other day he wished there were more gay fictional hero's out there fighting crime. ;)

FAII has started clearly now that this as a bit of a joke thread based on a rather loose assumption, which I can't even remember in the episode and I am dammed if I will be watching it again just to find it *once was more then enough*

Lighten up, worse things happen at sea... for a start you could get eaten by an "evolved" Whale. :P:D:rolleyes:

Anyway we all know McKay is bi so obviously Sheppard is gay, it just makes sense. :cool: And if you need further proof just look at Sheppard's hair. :P

*DISCLAIMER - no insult intended to homosexual men, their hair or those that love them and no I do not confuse the fictional characters of any show with the actors who play them and my dad is really 67*

female Wraith
October 29th, 2007, 11:37 PM

Hmmm, may be your question had to be is he a gay or just comes from Sweden?? I don't find anything funny to put an equal gay=European. Most of the European males are not gays. Fact.:D

Overture
October 30th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Point of grammar

Surely the correct wording would be

The covert mission to sneak gaiety into Stargate

No? What the hell is Gayness? And why is it capitalized?

:cool:

FallenAngelII
October 30th, 2007, 02:05 AM
"Gay of European" is a reference to Legally Blonde, the musical.

I still maintain he clearly said "He".

nekoi
October 30th, 2007, 02:19 AM

You speculate. Remember that people are known to misenterpret what they hear.

Jedted
October 30th, 2007, 02:33 AM

I geuss we'll be debating this fact till the end of time so we might aswell just end the thread here.

Willow'sCat
October 30th, 2007, 02:34 AM
"Gay of European" is a reference to Legally Blonde, the musical.Well he does have the smirk I suppose. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkWQ_tWQ30c);)

FallenAngelII
October 30th, 2007, 03:08 AM
You speculate. Remember that people are known to misenterpret what they hear.
Half of the people who watched the episode (and rewatch it) say "He", half say "You". It's not speculation or misinterpretation. It's that some people hear different things from the mumbled speech.

Your interpretation is in no way more right than mine as long as the actor who uttered the line himself doesn't state what he really said.

Alipeeps
October 30th, 2007, 06:44 AM

From the script of the episode:

SILAS
We don't know. We never found his body.

NEVIK
We assumed you blew him out into space.

End of discussion. You can speculate all you like over what you think or claim you heard in the episode but you can't argue with the FACT of the written dialogue from the script.

FallenAngelII
October 30th, 2007, 08:02 AM
From the script of the episode:

SILAS
We don't know. We never found his body.

NEVIK
We assumed you blew him out into space.

End of discussion. You can speculate all you like over what you think or claim you heard in the episode but you can't argue with the FACT of the written dialogue from the script.
1) Where was this script found.
2) And you've never heard of bloopers or improv before? I don't speculate. I clearly hear him saying "He".

The script can state whatever it will state. Not everything is always done as the script says.

Alipeeps
October 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM
1) Where was this script found.
2) And you've never heard of bloopers or improv before? I don't speculate. I clearly hear him saying "He".

The script can state whatever it will state. Not everything is always done as the script says.

1. The usual places one gets scripts from.
2. So you're saying that either a) the actor screwed up and TPTB didn't re-film it and left the "blooper" in or b) the actor improvised, changing the line so that it means something different from what is in the script, and, again, TPTB just decided to leave it in? *shakes head in disbelief*

You can argue this until you're blue in the face and all you're going to achieve is to make yourself look more foolish. This is not a matter of opinion - it's a matter of fact. You are arguing against proven fact - therefore, you are wrong. Not often we get chance to say that on GW as, as we all like to try and keep in mind, no one opinion is any more right or wrong than any other.. however, in this case, as we have conclusive fact that contradicts your opinion, then I'm afraid you are simply wrong.

You can't GET any more canon than the script. Just because the actor may have mumbled his words a little and you think you can here something else, doesn't change what the script is and therefore what the intent of the writers is for that scene.

Yes, small changes happen from script to screen and here's a good example... the line directly after what I quoted above is, in the script:

SHEPPARD
I get the idea.

In the aired episode, Sheppard actually says, "I get it." So, yup, a minor change from the script. A change however, that does not in any way alter the meaning of the line or scene. Changing a pronoun to one that completely alters the gender referred to in the scene is not the kind of minor change that happens during filming as in the example above.

In terms of logical, reasoned argument, which option would you find more reliable.. someone's unsubstantiated claim to have heard something or an official written record of the dialogue?

FallenAngelII
October 30th, 2007, 10:23 AM
1. The usual places one gets scripts from.
2. So you're saying that either a) the actor screwed up and TPTB didn't re-film it and left the "blooper" in or b) the actor improvised, changing the line so that it means something different from what is in the script, and, again, TPTB just decided to leave it in? *shakes head in disbelief*
1) And where would that be? And is there any proof said script came straight from Bridge Studios or that it was simply a fan transcribing the episode?
2) Far worse bloopers have been left in the show before.

You can argue this until you're blue in the face and all you're going to achieve is to make yourself look more foolish. This is not a matter of opinion - it's a matter of fact. You are arguing against proven fact - therefore, you are wrong. Not often we get chance to say that on GW as, as we all like to try and keep in mind, no one opinion is any more right or wrong than any other.. however, in this case, as we have conclusive fact that contradicts your opinion, then I'm afraid you are simply wrong.
What proven fact? The script. The script proves nothing.

You can't GET any more canon than the script. Just because the actor may have mumbled his words a little and you think you can here something else, doesn't change what the script is and therefore what the intent of the writers is for that scene.
I don't "think". I specifically hear "he".

In terms of logical, reasoned argument, which option would you find more reliable.. someone's unsubstantiated claim to have heard something or an official written record of the dialogue?
What official written record? Show the script and proof that it came straight from the PTB. And the script still proves nothing if I (and many others) distinctly hear "He".

Uber
October 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Half of the people who watched the episode (and rewatch it) say "He", half say "You". It's not speculation or misinterpretation. It's that some people hear different things from the mumbled speech.

Your interpretation is in no way more right than mine as long as the actor who uttered the line himself doesn't state what he really said.Actually, by definition a misinterpretation has occurred, since he can't have said both "he" and "you." One of the interpretations is right and one is a MISinterpretation.

For the record...he didn't say "he", he said..."you."

Not only did I hear it, I checked closed-captioning to confirm what I heard. The CC text read as follows: "We assumed you blew him out into space."

Alipeeps
October 30th, 2007, 11:03 AM
1) And where would that be? And is there any proof said script came straight from Bridge Studios or that it was simply a fan transcribing the episode?

Yes, there's proof. I am actually intelligent enough to know the difference between a transcript and a script (especially given that I have had this script since before the episode aired). I'm not about the share the document with you so I guess you can either believe me or call me a liar. :)

What proven fact? The script. The script proves nothing.

I'm going to leave the discussion here because really, this just says everything about your ability to reason and debate in a logical manner. :lol:

FallenAngelII
October 30th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Closed captioning most often follows the script and CC can also be wrong. And the script still proves nothing. They're called bloopers because they're mistakes. Far worse bloopers have been left in episodes of Stargate, like when Jacob claimed he'd only been with Selmak for two years when it had been, like, 5.

There's no proof that the actor didn't accidentally say "He" and no one noticed. Such proof would have to be the actor himself stating that he did indeed say "You". I clearly her "He".

The script proves the intention of the writers, not what's actually in the episode itself.

Uber
October 30th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Closed captioning most often follows the script and CC can also be wrong. And the script still proves nothing. They're called bloopers because they're mistakes. Far worse bloopers have been left in episodes of Stargate, like when Jacob claimed he'd only been with Selmak for two years when it had been, like, 5.

There's no proof that the actor didn't accidentally say "He" and no one noticed. Such proof would have to be the actor himself stating that he did indeed say "You". I clearly her "He".

The script proves the intention of the writers, not what's actually in the episode itself.But to be a blooper, he has to have actually said "he"...and he didn't. Just because you heard it come out that way does not make it so.

So to clarify, the script is wrong, the transcript is wrong, closed captioning is wrong and I and everyone else who heard "you" are wrong. And you didn't misinterpret or misunderstand because you heard him say "he" and thus it must be so even though usage of the pronoun "he" doesn't make any sense given the context of the sentence or the scene as a whole.

O........kay.

*backs slowly away from thread*

Jumper_One
October 30th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Actually, by definition a misinterpretation has occurred, since he can't have said both "he" and "you." One of the interpretations is right and one is a MISinterpretation.

For the record...he didn't say "he", he said..."you."

Not only did I hear it, I checked closed-captioning to confirm what I heard. The CC text read as follows: "We assumed you blew him out into space."

ehm I just watched it again and honestly can't say I'm sure what the guy said, could've been 'you' or 'he', I dunno. but since 'he' wouldn't make any sense and you checked, it has to be 'you'

FallenAngelII
October 30th, 2007, 11:13 AM
But to be a blooper, he has to have actually said "he"...and he didn't. Just because you heard it come out that way does not make it so.

So to clarify, the script is wrong, the transcript is wrong, closed captioning is wrong and I and everyone else who heard "you" are wrong. And you didn't misinterpret or misunderstand because you heard him say "he" and thus it must be so.
I am not the only one who head "He".

The script is not wrong, the closed captioning is not wrong. They are both "right", because that's what the writers of the show intended for the actor to say. But what I hear is "He", so in my opinion, the actor made a blooper and the producers missed it and left it in.

The actor was wrong.

Uber
October 30th, 2007, 11:16 AM

The script is not wrong, the closed captioning is not wrong. They are both "right", because that's what the writers of the show intended for the actor to say. But what I hear is "He", so in my opinion, the actor made a blooper and the producers missed it and left it in.

The actor was wrong.Right. The actor was obviously wrong since you couldn't possibly have misunderstood what he said.

Makes sense to me.

Jumper_One
October 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM
does it really matter that much if he said 'you' or 'he'? I mean really I couldn't care less, maybe the actor made a mistake maybe not. we all know he meant Larrin

Atlantis1
October 30th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Anyway we all know McKay is bi so obviously Sheppard is gay, it just makes sense. :cool: And if you need further proof just look at Sheppard's hair. :P

Okay. Enlighten me on the hair thing. Sheppard and MacKay are more like brothers. Where do you see MacKay as bi?

nekoi
October 30th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Your interpretation is in no way more right than mine as long as the actor who uttered the line himself doesn't state what he really said.

You're still making a ridiculous assumption based on the fact that you misheard what he said.

The fact that you're rewatching only to hear him say it again, means you will because you're going to make excuses in your mind just to hear him say it.

Take for example the Disney urban legend in regards to Aladdin telling teenagers take off their clothes: the only way you can hear it is if you THINK you're going to hear it or if you misentreprate it.

Just because you misheard something doesn't make it right. The script says "you." Get over it.

Alipeeps
October 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM

The actor was wrong.

Sooo.. in the context of your thread title - that there is a covert mission to sneak gayness into Stargate - then the covert mission must be entirely on the part of the bit-part actor playing Nevik? Right? Seeing as you accept that the script, and therefore the writers' intent, has the word as "you", then IF it was changed to he by the actor during filming, then it is that single, sole, here-for-one-episode-and-killed-off-after-about-10-lines actor who has this secret agenda to "gayify" Stargate, right?

P.S. The generally accepted process in a debate when faced with irrefutable fact that disproves your argument is to gracefully accept that your argument has been proven false... not to change the content of your argument so that you can insist that you are still "right".

FallenAngelII
October 30th, 2007, 11:33 AM
You're still making a ridiculous assumption based on the fact that you misheard what he said.

The fact that you're rewatching only to hear him say it again, means you will because you're going to make excuses in your mind just to hear him say it.

Take for example the Disney urban legend in regards to Aladdin telling teenagers take off their clothes: the only way you can hear it is if you THINK you're going to hear it or if you misentreprate it.

Just because you misheard something doesn't make it right. The script says "you." Get over it.
I didn't have to hear it again and again and again to hear "He". The first time I saw the episode, I heard "He". The second time I went back to re-check, I heard "He". The 3rd, 4th, 5th and up to 10th times I re-checked because some people claimed he said "She" while others claim he said "You", I still heard "He".

I have yet to hear "You".

Why is it in your mind absolutely impossible for the actor to have misspoken when many more than just I hear "He"? No matter what the script says, mistakes can creep in.

BTW, in case you've missed it, this is a joke thread. I am not actually claiming that John is gay or that the producers intended for the character of Larrin to be female. However, I stand by the point that I clearly hear Nevin or whatever his name is say "He".

nekoi
October 30th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I didn't have to hear it again and again and again to hear "He". The first time I saw the episode, I heard "He". The second time I went back to re-check, I heard "He". The 3rd, 4th, 5th and up to 10th times I re-checked because some people claimed he said "She" while others claim he said "You", I still heard "He".

I have yet to hear "You".

Again...

Why is it in your mind absolutely impossible for the actor to have misspoken when many more than just I hear "He"? No matter what the script says, mistakes can creep in.

BTW, in case you've missed it, this is a joke thread. I am not actually claiming that John is gay or that the producers intended for the character of Larrin to be female. However, I stand by the point that I clearly hear Nevin or whatever his name is say "He".

Because it's ridiuculous and many people have heard different things based off different enterpretations. We have proof he said something else and you've been excessively arguing a silly and miniscule point to the episode only to drag onto your multi-thread march to bashing the exact same aspects of Sheppard that you personally found unappealing.

You have reason to have heard "he"-- we get it... but the fact is that he didn't; you're right that mistakes can creep in, but you also forget pronounciation and stuttering as a factor. It's obvious that the editors and directors heard "you," so let it go.

elbo
October 30th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Funny but i didn't notice Sheppard having an european flag on his vest. :D

FallenAngelII
October 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM
elbo: But, once again, you have proof that the writers intended for him to say "You". I am not arguing that! Of course the writers intended for Larrin to be a female, after all, she flirts and kisses him. You have proven the intention, not what was actually said.

Must I remind you that I am not alone in hearing "He" instead of "You" (though those people don't seem to be hanging around in the thread any more)?

I did not have to hear it again and again to hear "He" and I'm not hearing it again and again to delude myself. I've always heard "He". The only reason why I had to go back was:
2nd time: To make sure
Consecutive times: To make sure again since other people claimed they heard other things

I still hear (and always have) heard "He". Why is it so inconceivable in your mind that the actor misspoke? It happens all the time. And producers miss misspeakings all the time, as well.

You hear "You", I hear "He". You cannot prove that what he actually says is "You" if there's enough doubt for some people to still hear "He" and yet others to just not be able to discern whether it's "He" or "You".

I have, once again, never contested the fact that the writers and the script called for "You".

SoulReaver
October 30th, 2007, 02:19 PM
btw what the guy said was neither "he" nor "you", it was "I"

(just to cause more confusion hehe...)

Jumper_One
October 30th, 2007, 03:21 PM

hahaha thanx for making me laugh :) this thread is way too serious ;)

Jill_Ion
October 30th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Any chance this thread could just die a natural death?

KiLL3r
October 30th, 2007, 04:48 PM

i say we burn it so it can never come back again

Salas1
October 30th, 2007, 04:54 PM
So now do you agree on that John might be (or European)? Or at least that Larrin might've been male? :D

What the hell are you on about saying Europeans are gay? Cough padded rugby cough.

Niteshadow
October 30th, 2007, 05:59 PM

:jack_new_anime07: well said this is what thread 6 now on travelers ???

nekoi
October 30th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Mishearing words: SERIOUS BUSINESS.

travis
October 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM

you sure? I swear I heard him say " supercololfragalipsticespealadociuos(sp?) ":D

FallenAngelII
October 31st, 2007, 01:07 AM
The same can be said about you & "He" what makes you so special that everyone has to agree & believe what you think ?. Let it go already you are a sorry ass excuse for a fan.
I am not strictly saying "I am right, you're all wrong". I'm saying that what I hear is "He" and I am not alone.

At least I'm not insulting anyone for hearing otherwise, as opposed to, say, you.

Salas1
October 31st, 2007, 02:28 AM
I am not strictly saying "I am right, you're all wrong". I'm saying that what I hear is "He" and I am not alone.

At least I'm not insulting anyone for hearing otherwise, as opposed to, say, you.

No, but you appear to be insulting Europeans as gay, which is hilarious if you are from America as you have a far higher percentage (3% in Europe to 6.5% in America) of homosexuals.

FallenAngelII
October 31st, 2007, 02:38 AM
No, but you appear to be insulting Europeans as gay, which is hilarious if you are from America as you have a far higher percentage (3% in Europe to 6.5% in America) of homosexuals.
There's is no such thing as a lower percentage of homosexuals in Europe.

Gay (or European) is not an insult to Europeans. It's a reference to Legally Blonde ~the musical~ where it's stated that while someone might be considered "gay" in America for being too "fey", it's simply the way you act in Europe, indicating that Europeans are more open-minded, free-spirited and less prejudiced.

Skydiver
October 31st, 2007, 03:35 AM
you want it to die a natural death....don't post in it

Willow'sCat
October 31st, 2007, 03:53 AM
Okay. Enlighten me on the hair thing. For him to be in the military and straight with hair like that is just laughable to me. And the way he sometimes carries himself speaks volumes.:D
Where do you see MacKay as bi?In every slash fic I read. ;) And it is McKay.;)

FallenAngelII
October 31st, 2007, 03:58 AM
Funny, in a lot of the fics I read, Rodney's gay.

Anyway, John's hair is, at the least, out of regulation. But let's get back on topic.

Willow'sCat
October 31st, 2007, 04:04 AM
Funny, in a lot of the fics I read, Rodney's gay.Gay, bi or curious I don't care. ;)

But let's get back on topic.Well that is my cue to leave. Bye.;)

Skydiver
October 31st, 2007, 07:36 AM
At the end of the day, fans see what they want to see.

on the SG1 side, some view Rite of Passage as 'the episode where cassie has two moms', or Prometheus - where colonel simmons gets tossed out the air lock and jack and teal'c - after both fighting him - share this (what i see) 'thanks for saving my butt man' look as 'the slashiest look ever'

There are still others that see the 'spacemonkey' scene from Serpents Lair as confirmation that jack and daniel are a couple.

Fans will see what they want to see. Those that support john/teyla will see every exchange as a confirmation, while those that support john/weir will see every exchange as a confirmation. The same with any other pairing out there.

At the end of the day, TPTB don't have to 'sneak' homosexuality into the show, the fans do a perfectly good job all on thier own

Salas1
October 31st, 2007, 08:15 AM
There's is no such thing as a lower percentage of homosexuals in Europe.

Gay (or European) is not an insult to Europeans. It's a reference to Legally Blonde ~the musical~ where it's stated that while someone might be considered "gay" in America for being too "fey", it's simply the way you act in Europe, indicating that Europeans are more open-minded, free-spirited and less prejudiced.

First of all, do your research, there is.

Second of all, it's offensive if you imply a mass of people are gay. Fact.

Silly little girl.

FallenAngelII
October 31st, 2007, 08:45 AM
First of all, do your research, there is.

Silly little girl.
1) Yeah, show me said research (you made the claim - back it up with facts). It's like Mahmoud Whatever saying "There are no homosexuals in Iran" (or as later retconned "There are less homosexuals in Iraq than in the United States"). Approximately 10% of the world's population is homosexual or bisexual. Whether they're open or not does in no way decrease said numbers. Certain countries have laws against homosexuality. Of course the numbers will be kinda skewed in said countries because, really, who wants to go to jail? Show me reliable research that proves there are approximately only half as many homo- and bisexuals in Europe as in the United States.
2) The thread title says gay or European. This in no way means that being an European equals being gay. It implies that the Europeans are "less macho" than non-Europeans (after all, we hug and kiss on greeting).
3) I'm not a girl and I take offense at being called "Silly little girl". If I were a girl, I'd take even more offense.

Atlantis1
October 31st, 2007, 09:43 AM
For him to be in the military and straight with hair like that is just laughable to me. And the way he sometimes carries himself speaks volumes.:D In every slash fic I read. ;) And it is McKay.;)

Oh, so it is just fandomism.

SoulReaver
October 31st, 2007, 02:15 PM
you sure? I swear I heard him say " supercololfragalipsticespealadociuos(sp?) ":Dinteresting...yes it could be
bummer now I'm even more confused :(

but somehow it didn't quite sound like "supercololfragalipsticespealadociuos", more like "you" (or "he" (or "I"))
not 100% sure though - I'll have to relisten again more carefully, you could be right

BerrySciFi
October 31st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Some people will hear what they choose to hear. FAll hears "he", I hear "Take the COLTS and the points against the patriots this weekend." To each his or her own.

Agent_Dark
October 31st, 2007, 03:20 PM
oi wtf, stop talking about gay because you keep making these gay gay ads come up :| start talking about lesbians ftw ;) ;) :P

s09119
October 31st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Just out of curiosity... why would it be so bad if John and Rodney were bisexual/curious/homosexual? There's absolutely nothing wrong with it...

jenks
October 31st, 2007, 05:42 PM
Too many people find it disgusting, it would kill Atlantis. Whether it is right or wrong is a matter of opinion.

Skydiver
October 31st, 2007, 05:45 PM
these writers have proven that they can't write a het relationship worth beans. They all end up being the cliche to end all cliches.

do you REALLY want them to tackle homosexuality?????

KiLL3r
October 31st, 2007, 07:11 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with it...

what beside them being gay?

if atlantis introduced a gay character whose first line was something like "Oh Hai Guyz" i would never watch another stargate episode ever again

SaberBlade
November 1st, 2007, 01:04 AM
what beside them being gay?

if atlantis introduced a gay character whose first line was something like "Oh Hai Guyz" i would never watch another stargate episode ever again

Wasn't that the first thing Lucius Lavin said in Irresponsible?

Starpass
November 1st, 2007, 04:24 AM
Neither McKay or Sheppard are gay.
Larrin is not a man. and yes the guy did say he blew the last guy into space but it doesn't necessarily mean it was Larrin who did the deed.
The guard was probably referring to the guy who pushed the button to blow the last prisoner into space.

Alipeeps
November 1st, 2007, 04:45 AM
Larrin is not a man. and yes the guy did say he blew the last guy into space but it doesn't necessarily mean it was Larrin who did the deed.
The guard was probably referring to the guy who pushed the button to blow the last prisoner into space.

No, he didn't. You might think he did... but that's your opinion, not fact. And your posited meaning makes no sense in the context...

Starpass
November 1st, 2007, 07:57 AM
No, he didn't. You might think he did... but that's your opinion, not fact. And your posited meaning makes no sense in the context...
Posited? I know some big words too; like marmalade and elephant.;)
Maybe the guy made a mistake; saying 'he' instead of 'she'.
And don't tell me the guard didn't say he, because he did say 'he'
And what's this 'out of context' crap? You must think you are quite intelligent, don't you.
I've posted many times on other 'Stargate' sites and this is the first time anyone has said anything that even comes close to what you said, so, is it your habit to pick on newbies to the site or do you do it to everyone?

bluealien
November 1st, 2007, 08:01 AM

He said "you" actually..

Alipeeps
November 1st, 2007, 08:21 AM
And don't tell me the guard didn't say he, because he did say 'he'
And what's this 'out of context' crap? You must think you are quite intelligent, don't you.
I've posted on lot on certain 'Stargate' sites and this is the first time anyone has said anything that even comes close to what you said, so, is it your habit to pick on newbies to the site or do you do it to everyone?

I agree that it's possible that the actor made a mistake and said "he" when it should have been "you" (and we know that it should have been you from the script). However, you stated it as fact (not opinion) that the actor definitely said he. This is not fact. You may have heard he, others hear you. I guess the only person that could conclusively state as fact what was actually said would be the actor.

I didn't say "out of context", I said "in the context". As in, in the context of the scene - i.e. given what we saw in the scene, the people present, the topic of conversation etc - the alternative meaning that you suggested (if you prefer that word to posited) does not make sense. It does not make sense for Nevik to refer by a personal pronoun to someone not in the room and not previously referenced.. it makes his statement nonsensical.

I'm sorry if you feel that disagreeing with you constitutes picking on newbies - I was merely pointing out the flaws in your argument and I did so quite calmly and without attacking or insulting you. If you find being disagreed with offensive, then it's possible the discussion threads are not the best place for you... these threads are about free discussion of all opinions and people disagree with each other all the time in here.. :)

Starpass
November 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM
OK. I apologize for taking things you said to me the wrong way.
I just watched the scene in question, again.

Larrin: *to guy beating on Sheppard* "Tell him about the last man that disappointed me."
guy beating on Sheppard: "We don't know. We never found his body."

other guy: "We assumed he blew him out into space."

I have to say "it's a fact," not an opinion." I watched the same scene three times and the guy definitely says "He"

Alipeeps
November 1st, 2007, 08:54 AM
I have to say "it's a fact," not an opinion." I watched the same scene three times and the guy definitely says "He"

My point is that you can't state it as fact just because you hear it as "he". Many other people are equally certain that they hear "you" (and tbh, this is more likely given that that's what's in the script). A fact is something that is demonstrable, incontrovertible - the very fact that people can hear different words in this scene means that you cannot state any one interpretation as fact.

To a certain extent we humans will hear what we want - or expect - to hear so if you're convinced he said he then every time you listen again you will probably hear he. Have you tried listening and seeing if it could be you?

An entertaining example to illustrate my point... years ago on a radio programme people wrote in with examples of song lyrics that they had misinterpreted or that they felt were open to misinterpretation... one such example was Cyndi Lauper's "I Drove All Night" where the line in the song "crept in your room" does sound very much like she is singing "crapped in your room"! :lol: And ever since hearing that, whenever I hear the song, even though I KNOW the lyrics, as written and as sung, were "crept in your room", I can't help hearing "crapped in your room"! :lol: :lol:

Starpass
November 1st, 2007, 09:10 AM
Maybe some people are relying on their memory, and they think they heard something other than "he."
I just watched it again, (wow; talk about obsessive eh?) which makes it four times now. I distinctly heard him say "he".

Alipeeps
November 1st, 2007, 09:15 AM
Maybe some people are relying on their memory, and they think they heard something other than "he."
I just watched it again, (wow; talk about obsessive eh?) which makes it four times now. I distinctly heard him say "he".

There you go then. Open to interpretation. I've watched it several times and I definitely hear him say "you".. but I can see how people could hear it as "he", the actor does kinda swallow the word a little and it's not 100% clear.

I guess my point is that both the script and the context of the scene make it clear that the word is definitely supposed to be "you". If the actor did say "he" then it was definitely a mistake... however, I personally don't think he did say "he". :)

P.S. Have I ruined that Cyndi Lauper song forever for you now? ;)

Southern Red
November 1st, 2007, 09:21 AM
I just stumbled upon this thread and since I can't resist a challenge I reviewed the sentence in question.

Previously I had thought the guy said "he". Nothing would have changed my mind because I know what I heard. The discussion in this thread made me go back and take another look.

Now I have completely changed my mind. I reran the bit several times on my monitor where I could get a very close look. Keeping in mind that the position of the lips when saying the words "he" and "you" are vastly different, I turned the volume way up and watched carefully. His lips form the word "you" and when observing that I could hear it as well. Try it.

Not that it matters, but this proves that much is left up to the interpretation of the viewer.

Starpass
November 1st, 2007, 10:05 AM
A friend of mine just popped on over and we both watched said scene again and watching the guys lips and listening to him he definitely says "he".

At any rate I have had enough of this rather silly thread.

Mitchell82
November 1st, 2007, 10:51 AM

Which is pointless since the transcript and close to everyone here proves otherwise.

Linzi
November 1st, 2007, 11:07 AM
I just stumbled upon this thread and since I can't resist a challenge I reviewed the sentence in question.

Previously I had thought the guy said "he". Nothing would have changed my mind because I know what I heard. The discussion in this thread made me go back and take another look.

Now I have completely changed my mind. I reran the bit several times on my monitor where I could get a very close look. Keeping in mind that the position of the lips when saying the words "he" and "you" are vastly different, I turned the volume way up and watched carefully. His lips form the word "you" and when observing that I could hear it as well. Try it.

Not that it matters, but this proves that much is left up to the interpretation of the viewer.
I did exactly the same thing! :o

I can understand why some think it's 'he'. As I said in my original post here, it's sort of breathy and lazily said, sort of swallowed, but the lips and sounds when turned up clearly show the actor said 'you', and as the script said 'you', and we all know he meant 'you', because he was talking to Larrin, I'm puzzled as to the whole existence of this thread! :lol:

SoulReaver
November 1st, 2007, 12:53 PM
I can understand why some think it's 'he'. As I said in my original post here, it's sort of breathy and lazily said, sort of swallowed, but the lips and sounds when turned up clearly show the actor said 'you', and as the script said 'you', and we all know he meant 'you', because he was talking to Larrin, I'm puzzled as to the whole existence of this thread! :lol:hey everyone's entitled to their fantasies :|

Linzi
November 1st, 2007, 01:07 PM
hey everyone's entitled to their fantasies :|
:lol: They certainly are! :)

Starpass
November 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
hey everyone's entitled to their fantasies

The guy was looking right at Sheppard when he said "we assume he blew him out into space"
If he said "we assume you blew him out into space" shouldn't he have been looking at Larrin?
My son saw the scene. He agrees with me. Fantasy? I think not.
The guy was probably supposed to say "you blew him out into space" but he screwed up and said "he."
Because of this crazy argument I've now seen the clip 7 times, so I guess you might say you guys have driven me round the bend.
What's that? Did I hear; "Mission Accomplished?" hehe
The episode gave me the idea we will see Larrin and her band of travelers again.
Anyway, I didn't mean to come off as an a**h**e. I do have a rather extreme case of what is known as Bipolar disorder where my mood swings sometimes get the best of me.

stevearm07
November 1st, 2007, 04:10 PM
And why does gay now equal European...? That's kind of offensive.

So being gay is an insult then is it?

stevearm07
November 1st, 2007, 04:12 PM
Why suddenly does everyone want our hero's to be gay? Is everyone so keen to join the JK Rowling Fanclub? Dumbledore Gay - Oh Please!!!!

And the problem with characters being gay is what exactly?

The author says Dumbledore is gay. Then sorry mate, Dumbledore is gay.

stevearm07
November 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM
Hmmm, may be your question had to be is he a gay or just comes from Sweden?? I don't find anything funny to put an equal gay=European. Most of the European males are not gays. Fact.:D

Agreed, 9 in 10 are straights.

stevearm07
November 1st, 2007, 04:18 PM

So being gay is a bad thing then is it?

stevearm07
November 1st, 2007, 04:20 PM

How do you know? Did you ask them?

s09119
November 1st, 2007, 04:31 PM

No, i rather like gay people .They're usually a hell of a lot more fun to hang around than uptight straight folk like myself...

I meant that insinuating that all Europeans act like gays (which could be taken as offensive) is rather rude. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, but it's usually seen in a bad light in the West, so it could be taken as an insult. That's all.

stevearm07
November 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM
I meant that insinuating that all Europeans act like gays

And I take it you think that all gay men act like poofy camp queens then? Oh please.

Please don't stereotype gay men as upbeat, girly, prissy, sensitive, neat individuals who don't watch sports and prefer to go shopping. Because believe me you'll get the shock of your life when you realise that most gay guys are just like straights. And that it's just the camp ones that get the exposure and enter the general public's minds as the 'image of gaydom'.

PG15
November 1st, 2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with being gay, but the hard truth is that SOME people view it as offensive. That's a fact, whether you like it or not.

stevearm07
November 1st, 2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with being gay, but the hard truth is that SOME people view it as offensive. That's a fact, whether you like it or not.

Good, and there's nothing wrong with being straight either.

Personally I couldn't give a toss if people find it offensive, homosexuality is a fact of life and if they don't like seeing it brought up in SGA (were it ever brought up) they can ***** right off.

Agent_Dark
November 1st, 2007, 04:57 PM
lol rage

Salas1
November 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM

To heterosexuals, yes it is. There is no doubt about that.

Plus, saying Europeans are gay is in the modern world inciting racial hatred. I personally don't care seeing as I assume the person doing it is an American, which makes it ironic for the reasons I've posted earlier in this thread.
Then there's all the camp sports. Having to wear a big bucket shape glove to catch a ball is comical at best, that paired with tight outfits on male 'athletes', priceless, then there's the whole football' padding thing, same level of physical risk as Rugby, but Rugby players are mountainous men, while your football players are sprinters in armor, yes I do appreciate they are brilliant athletes compared to your average beer swilling bloke.
Lol, only in the 1990s the yanks tried to make goalkeepers in football, the real football, wear full on helmets.

Top stuff.

Oreo
November 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM
I'M NOT GAY I'M BRITISH!

Even the Scotish, not part of Britain :P, know that. :lol:

Alipeeps
November 2nd, 2007, 01:04 AM
And I take it you think that all gay men act like poofy camp queens then? Oh please.

Please don't stereotype gay men as upbeat, girly, prissy, sensitive, neat individuals who don't watch sports and prefer to go shopping. Because believe me you'll get the shock of your life when you realise that most gay guys are just like straights. And that it's just the camp ones that get the exposure and enter the general public's minds as the 'image of gaydom'.

Now who's stereotyping people? ;)

I think the point being made is that people's sexuality is entirely their own business and is an issue that some people find sensitive and to imply that an entire race/culture of people are of a particular sexual persuasion is a) wrong and b) could be offensive to some people. Sweeping generalisations are, in general, unhelpful.

Also, if I'm correctly understanding the background to FAII's "quote" (I haven't seen the Legally Blondes movies myself, let alone the musical), the insinuation in the phrase "gay - or just European" is that Europeans act in a more "gay", or less "macho" or "manly" way than (I assume) Americans. And I can also see how some people might find that kind of sweeping generalisation annoying, if not offensive.

P.S. Rather than making multiple posts in a row, there is a relatively new feature on GW that lets you multiquote posts to reply to... if you click on the "+ button at the bottom right of each post you want to reply to (it turns orange and becomes "-) and then click Post Reply, the reply box will appear with all of your chosen posts quoted in it, ready for you to reply to in one post. :)

KiLL3r
November 2nd, 2007, 01:51 AM
too cheeky? :)

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6940/560ej1.jpg

stevearm07
November 2nd, 2007, 03:20 AM
To heterosexuals, yes it is. There is no doubt about that.

Nice sweeping generalisation there. Trust me that it's also offensive to call a homosexual person heterosexual. No doubt about that.

You're the type of person who would be shocked and digusted if a pro rugby player cme out as gay

Alipeeps
November 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM
Nice sweeping generalisation there. Trust me that it's also offensive to call a homosexual person heterosexual. No doubt about that.

You're the type of person who would be shocked and digusted if a pro rugby player cme out as gay

Again with the sweeping generalisations. Please don't make comments about other forum users - a) it's against GW rules and b) you don't know this person and are not able, or entitled, to judge what their reactions would be.

Some heterosexual people would be offended if it were implied they were homosexual and some homosexual people would be offended if it were implied that they were heterosexual. Thus proving the original point made above - sexuality is a sensitive area and making sweeping generalisations/implications about the sexuality of an entire race/culture/ethnicity *is* very likely to cause offence.

Skydiver
November 2nd, 2007, 04:23 AM
And i think this thread has gone waaayyyy off topic.

If folks want to debate whether they said 'he' 'she' or 'you' do it in the episode thread please. Let's not even get into the topic of homosexuaity and whether it is 'right' or 'wrong' because I give that topic about an hour before it turns into a flame fest.