PDA

View Full Version : 4x05 - The Most Immature Episode Ever ~the Episode that Ruined Atlantis~

FallenAngelII
October 28th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Apparently Paul Mullie wrote this episode. No offense to Paul Mullie, but that explains a few things (he was also responsible for Suckfests "The Tower" and "Irresponsible".

I just knew I was in for a piece of (crappy) work when the episode starts with Rodney taking a shot at John volunteering to go on a boring mission because the indigenous people (and I quote) "had little to no social inhibitions" to which John responds that they were "very friendly". Oh yes, PTB, very mature.

And then, he gets taken captive and who should pop up as the leader of said captors? While all of the male captors are clad in brown possible mocha leather, she lone female (who, in according to Stargate practice is "hot") is clad in black leather... with deep cleavage. Yes, let's not just make the alien hot, but because she's got big breasts, she must have a deep cleavage.

What's next, I thought? The obvious answer (and what I immediately assumed upon seeing her) was lots of 'UST' and sexual innuendo. It starts out pretty innocently with "Be a shame to have to do too much damage" - Not bad, but you just knew it'd go downhill from there (like the line about "not shooting too fast" and how "that was probably not John's first time hearing that from a woman"). And the sexual innuendo aren't even said in a "humurous" way a la Vala where there's a twinkle in her eye and her flirting doesn't actually lead anywhere.

Highly Speculative (and possibly wrong: Then Joe Flanigan himself gave us a very shameful moment. What was said moment? I believe it was The Jamie Kennedy Experiment that once featured an experiment where a woman wore a baggy shirt and went out with a fake petition, trying to get random men on the street to stop and talk to her. Almost no one did. But once she switched into one with a big cleavage, they did. And they kept staring down at it, exposing themselves to the hidden camera in her broach or whatever. Note that this is speculation, however. Maybe he did find said chalice very interesting. Or maybe the writers called for the character of John Sheppard to ogle her boobs.

So what did Joe Flanigan do? At 06:43, his gaze inexplicably drifts from her eye-level down to her chest-level and then quickly back up again. Either he suddenly found the chalice she was holding extremely interesting in the middle of her speech or he just wanted to "sneak a peek". However, as the Jamie Kennedy Experiment proved, it's a very heterosexual male thing to do, what with breast being indoctrined as one of the most important parts of a woman's body and all, so we can't completely blame him.

This was followed by Laryn saying "There's all kinds of useful things you could do for me" followed by "goofy music". And since we know the bar's set pretty low, of course it's a double entendre.

And then I won't bore you, or myself, with the details because I'm currently too mad at the writers to view the entire episode again, but was anyone surprised they'd eventually be locked up in "close quarters" together. It's one of the ultimate clichés, The UST in the Closet-moment.

And then she was fed on. Of course, we all assumed she'd die and we'd finally get rid of the immature theme, but nooooooo. The moment the Wraith said he hadn't completely killed her (at first I was so glad, I was elated), we all knew the Gift of Life was coming (and what a sucky episode to reintroduce something so great in, much like how Kolya appeared briefly in Irresponsible only to die at the end of it). Then he bent down to "help her get up" and what the Hell was the man doing?! Who the Hell helps someone get up from the floor by putting one arm around their waist?! You do it by taking her hand(s) and pulling them up! That was soooo copping a feel.

This was, of course followed by a "his face close to hers" moment (complete with heavy breathing), followed by her stumbling and even more close-face-time (as cliché dictates). And then they kissed. We all knew it was gonna happen. By the way, see my companion thread, "Why Colonel Space Slut Should Not Be In Command", for my reaction on this.

I really thought the writers, producers and everyone involved in this show would have learned by now.

For those who don't know, which three episodes do you think got voted in as Worst Episodes in Stargate Atlantis History for seasons 1-2? Yes, that's right, Sanctuary (John x Chaya), The Tower (John x Space Slut Bimbo Princess Whose Name I Can Never Remember) and Epiphany (John x Delusional Teer). And which two episodes were the by far most hated episodes of season three (if not Stargate history)? That's right, Irresistible (by far more hated) followed by Irresponsible.

"Goofy" and "Funny" little episodes based on double entendres, sexual tension and general immatureness are not popular among Stargate fans. Maybe they assumed the fans here on Gateworld are just part of some snooty little "No Immature Boy Humour"-club, but really?

Of course, John didn't tell Rodney the entire story (good job at lying, man!), but Rodney knew right away and had to point it out. At least we didn't hear the word "Kirk".

Please tell me I'm not going insane. Please tell me that you straight guys didn't find the episode really, really entertaining and well written. As a gay man who has absolutely no sexual interest in the episode, I found it insulting. Not just to women (by how they're treated as sexual objects on Stargate) and to John (by how detrimental this episode was to his character) but to us viewers as well, that they'd resort to this adolescent boy-girl-sex-humour!

This episode will be one of the Big Six (Major Suckfests of Stargate Atlantis), Atlantis-episodes which I probably won't watch more than once.

Omigod, omigod you guys. I'm, like, gonna cry. I've got tears coming out of my nose. This is like Titanic, only no one dies.

PG15
October 28th, 2007, 11:03 PM
What, no "riots"?

Oh, and Joe Mallozzi wrote Irresponsible. Just correcting a little fact there.

FallenAngelII
October 28th, 2007, 11:05 PM
What, no "riots"?

Oh, and Joe Mallozzi wrote Irresponsible. Just correcting a little fact there.
I just assumed Imdb got it right.

PG15
October 28th, 2007, 11:08 PM
That's a false assumption.

FallenAngelII
October 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM
That's a false assumption.
How come Gateworld (and also Imdb) states that they both wrote it together?

PG15
October 28th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Because they rely on the credits and not what the writers actually say themselves.

FallenAngelII
October 28th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Because they rely on the credits and not what the writers actually say themselves.
You're missing the obvious point here. Why, if both Gateworld and Imdb, state that Paul Mullie and Joe Malozzi wrote the episode together, do you contest this?

Linzi
October 28th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Apparently Paul Mullie wrote this episode. No offense to Paul Mullie, but that explains a few things (he was also responsible for Suckfests "The Tower" and "Irresponsible".

I just knew I was in for a piece of (crappy) work when the episode starts with Rodney taking a shot at John volunteering to go on a boring mission because the indigenous people (and I quote) "had little to no social inhibitions" to which John responds that they were "very friendly". Oh yes, PTB, very mature.

And then, he gets taken captive and who should pop up as the leader of said captors? While all of the male captors are clad in brown possible mocha leather, she lone female (who, in according to Stargate practice is "hot") is clad in black leather... with deep cleavage. Yes, let's not just make the alien hot, but because she's got big breasts, she must have a deep cleavage.

What's next, I thought? The obvious answer (and what I immediately assumed upon seeing her) was lots of 'UST' and sexual innuendo. It starts out pretty innocently with "Be a shame to have to do too much damage" - Not bad, but you just knew it'd go downhill from there.

Then Joe Flanigan himself gave us a very shameful moment. What was said moment? I believe it was The Jamie Kennedy Experiment that once featured an experiment where a woman wore a baggy shirt and went out with a fake petition, trying to get random men on the street to stop and talk to her. Almost no one did. But once she switched into one with a big cleavage, they did. And they kept staring down at it, exposing themselves to the hidden camera in her broach or whatever.

So what did Joe Flanigan do? At 06:43, his gaze inexplicably drifts from her eye-level down to her chest-level and then quickly back up again. Either he suddenly found the chalice she was holding extremely interesting in the middle of her speech or he just wanted to "sneak a peek". However, as the Jamie Kennedy Experiment proved, it's a very heterosexual male thing to do, what with breast being indoctrined as one of the most important parts of a woman's body and all, so we can't completely blame him.

This was followed by Laryn saying "There's all kinds of useful things you could do for me" followed by "goofy music". And since we know the bar's set pretty low, of course it's a double entendre.

And then I won't bore you, or myself, with the details because I'm currently too mad at the writers to view the entire episode again, but was anyone surprised they'd eventually be locked up in "close quarters" together. It's one of the ultimate clichés, The UST in the Closet-moment.

And then she was fed on. Of course, we all assumed she'd die and we'd finally get rid of the immature theme, but nooooooo. The moment the Wraith said he hadn't completely killed her (at first I was so glad, I was elated), we all knew the Gift of Life was coming (and what a sucky episode to reintroduce something so great in, much like how Kolya appeared briefly in Irresponsible only to die at the end of it). Then he bent down to "help her get up" and what the Hell was the man doing?! Who the Hell helps someone get up from the floor by putting one arm around their waist?! You do it by taking her hand(s) and pulling them up! That was soooo copping a feel.

This was, of course followed by a "his face close to hers" moment (complete with heavy breathing), followed by her stumbling and even more close-face-time (as cliché dictates). And then they kissed. We all knew it was gonna happen. By the way, see my companion thread, "Why Colonel Space Slut Should Not Be In Command", for my reaction on this.

I really thought the writers, producers and everyone involved in this show would have learned by now.

For those who don't know, which three episodes do you think got voted in as Worst Episodes in Stargate Atlantis History for seasons 1-2? Yes, that's right, Sanctuary (John x Chaya), The Tower (John x Space Slut Bimbo Princess Whose Name I Can Never Remember) and Epiphany (John x Delusional Teer). And which two episodes were the by far most hated episodes of season three (if not Stargate history)? That's right, Irresistible (by far more hated) followed by Irresponsible.

"Goofy" and "Funny" little episodes based on double entendres, sexual tension and general immatureness are not popular among Stargate fans. Maybe they assumed the fans here on Gateworld are just part of some snooty little "No Immature Boy Humour"-club, but really?

Of course, John didn't tell Rodney the entire story (good job at lying, man!), but Rodney knew right away and had to point it out. At least we didn't hear the word "Kirk".

Please tell me I'm not going insane. Please tell me that you straight guys didn't find the episode really, really entertaining and well written. As a gay man who has absolutely no sexual interest in the episode, I found it insulting. Not just to women (by how they're treated as sexual objects on Stargate) and to John (by how detrimental this episode was to his character) but to us viewers as well, that they'd resort to this adolescent boy-girl-sex-humour!

This episode will be one of the Big Six (Major Suckfests of Stargate Atlantis), Atlantis-episodes which I probably won't watch more than once.

Omigod, omigod you guys[i]. [i]I'm, like, gonna cry. I've got tears coming out of my nose. This is like Titanic, only no one dies.
Yeah, I totally disagree with everything you say. Nothing new there.

I liked Travelers and thought it was a fun episode.

Also, leave Joe Flanigan out of it. You think he looked at Larrin's cleavage? Fine. You don't KNOW he did you think he did. Let's leave the actors out of it, please.

As for Larrin's outfit? It wasn't low cut and didn't show ANYTHING. Not that there's anything wrong if it did.

As for the Kirk thing? Oh for goodness sake, give it a rest. Yawn...

You know Fallen, heterosexual men do find attractive women appealing. That's a fact of life. There's nothing wrong with that, it's not shameful or sinful, it's human nature. It's nothing to scoff at, it is the natural order of things. A lot of people like seeing chemistry between male and female characters. That's a fact. You're not one of them, fine. But others are.

PG15
October 28th, 2007, 11:22 PM
You're missing the obvious point here. Why, if both Gateworld and Imdb, state that Paul Mullie and Joe Malozzi wrote the episode together, do you contest this?

I contest, because Joe Mallozzi himself said that he wrote Irresponsible.

Now, if it was a toss up between trusting a fansite, IMDB (LOL!), or the showrunner of the show...it's kind of easy to pick which one I'll trust.

FallenAngelII
October 28th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I contest, because Joe Mallozzi himself said that he wrote Irresponsible.

Now, if it was a toss up between trusting a fansite, IMDB (LOL!), or the showrunner of the show...it's kind of easy to pick which one I'll trust.
Do you have the episode? Could you go back and check the writing credits? Also, did Malozzi say "I, and only I wrote this episode"? Or is it a habit of his to always also credit co-writers, the omission of which would automatically indicate he had no such co-writer?

FallenAngelII
October 28th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Also, leave Joe Flanigan out of it. You think he looked at Larrin's cleavage? Fine. You don't KNOW he did you think he did. Let's leave the actors out of it, please.
I thought long and hard on whether that section should have been included. I'll add a speculation-alert to it.

As for Larrin's outfit? It wasn't low cut and didn't show ANYTHING. Not that there's anything wrong if it did.
It had cleavage. And was made out of black leather...

Why? Can you give me any reasoning besides "Because"?

You know Fallen, heterosexual men do find attractive women appealing. That's a fact of life. There's nothing wrong with that, it's not shameful or sinful, it's human nature. It's nothing to scoff at, it is the natural order of things. A lot of people like seeing chemistry between male and female characters. That's a fact. You're not one of them, fine. But others are.
Would you be equally not-unnerved if the show suddenly started doing this to male characters? Hot scantily clad men appearing time and time again to romance Teyla with Teyla responding? While she's on dangerous missions and being captive prisoner or attacked by the Wraith?

I have no problems seeing chemistry between male and female characters. I, however, have a problem with such chemistry when it's illogical to plot or pure fanservice (and other reasons). I have never once complained about chemistry between people when, say, they go out on a date on Atlantis or when being overly-friendly with the local populace.

However, when John does it, it's in an illogical and Atlantis-endagering way (see my companion thread for more on this subject). In this episode in particular, he starts making out of his Would-Be-Killer (threats to jetison him into space, exposure to deadly radiation and repeated torture for, instance) when a Wraith had been in the same room just a minute earlier (it could've come back at any minute and killed them both).

Not only was this endangering himself and Laryn, it was endangering the entire galaxy. Imagine the damage the Wraith could do if they ever came in possession of an Aurora-class ship!

PG15
October 28th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Once again, as I mentioned, the credits aren't as accurate as you might think. It's based on money and contracts, after all, and not creative decisions.

Anonymous #3 writes: “Of the scripts you've written, which in your opinion was the bigger disappointment The Tower or Irresponsible?”

Answer: 1) Paul wrote The Tower. 2) Far from being a disappointment, I actually liked The Tower. Granted, it was an atypical episode, but I thought Paul did a great job creating some very entertaining guest characters. 3) Irresponsible.

So Paul wrote Tower, and he wrote Irresponsible.

nekoi
October 28th, 2007, 11:35 PM
While I'm sure many Men enjoy checking out cleavage, at the same time, it's common for someone to look over who they're talking to if confronted within their personal bubble (safety procaution, usually). Many people have looked me over at work (I've noticed) and of course, I've done it myself... But when someone wears something abit too revealing that may surprise someone or stand out alittle too much, isn't staring expected? (How does the cliche go? Car crash? Can't look away?)

Her outfit, however, wasn't low cut and was rather modest by Sci Fi's standards.

As for your comment regarding the female antagonist being hot or not, that's entirely based on opinion. Personally, I believe she was.

SaberBlade
October 28th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Not only was this endangering himself and Laryn, it was endangering the entire galaxy. Imagine the damage the Wraith could do if they ever came in possession of an Aurora-class ship!

It was actually endangering two galaxies, because if the Wraith were able to backwards engineer those engines, they could be having chinese, indian or even french for dinner. Stupid of John to leave the systems running knowing Wraith were onboard and are drooling for intergalactic hyperspace. But hey, a hot alien chick was in danger. Can't expect him to think clearly on that.

I have to agree that chemistry between characters is good, but if you have a character who keeps going after the hot alien chick who will never return again, you sort of just keep providing fanservice, especially when they are walking around in black leather and have a big chest.

FAII, You also forgot to include Norina from "Inferno" (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2/images/219_15.jpg.shtml). Sheppard was putting on all his charm to make sure he wooed her instead of McKay, acting like two school kids trying to chat up the first girl in their class to develop.

FallenAngelII
October 28th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Once again, as I mentioned, the credits aren't as accurate as you might think. It's based on money and contracts, after all, and not creative decisions.
So you're saying Mullie had nothing to do with the writing of "Irresponsible"? However, Imdb does state that Malozzi wrote "The Tower" despite him contesting it...

KiLL3r
October 29th, 2007, 12:18 AM
you must live in a near womenless world because if you think she was scantily clad you obviously dont go outside much.

she didnt show off enuf tbh

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 12:23 AM
you must live in a near womenless world because if you think she was scantily clad you obviously dont go outside much.

she didnt show off enuf tbh
I never claimed that Larrin was scantily clad. We've, however, seen tons of such women on Atlantis, yet very few men (and none of them have flirted with the female or even male expedition members, or anyone else for that matter).

If scantily clad and sexually promiscuous people are such a normal occurence, then it should be equal opportunity.

Pegasus_SGA
October 29th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Oh Fallen... this is going to be a fun debate. http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/Scully_album/devil-2.jpg

*cough*

Oh yes, I couldn't agree more very immature, because men just don't have that banter in real life do they? None of the men I know would tease the other in that manner, or talk about women that way, or how sexy they are. How would you define no social inhibitions then FAII? Have you never had any banter like this with your friends? Very friendly can have a variety of connotations, maybe it's just your dirt mind FAII? Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with having a dirty mind, it's all good, especially the images it conjures up.

*looks at her own ample cleavage and smiles proudly* And showing off cleavage equals? Just incase you didn't know Fallen, BIG BOOBS = BIG CLEAVAGE! You might want to trust me on this one. ;) I speak from experience. :D

What's next, I thought? The obvious answer (and what I immediately assumed upon seeing her) was lots of 'UST' and sexual innuendo. It starts out pretty innocently with "Be a shame to have to do too much damage" - Not bad, but you just knew it'd go downhill from there.

Oh yes, UST should just be banished, because it's just so wrong having a male and female attracted to each other. How dare they enjoy flirting? Don't they realise that it's just sinful and they should each of them be wearing chastity belts and not make any eye contact whatsoever. It's disgraceful that a man and woman should find themselves attracted to each other. TPTB should be ashamed of themselves. Actually the best innuendo line was, "Don't shoot too early... I'm sure that's not the first time you've heard that for a woman!" ;)

Then Joe Flanigan himself gave us a very shameful moment. What was said moment? I believe it was The Jamie Kennedy Experiment that once featured an experiment where a woman wore a baggy shirt and went out with a fake petition, trying to get random men on the street to stop and talk to her. Almost no one did. But once she switched into one with a big cleavage, they did. And they kept staring down at it, exposing themselves to the hidden camera in her broach or whatever.

Okay, work with me her FAII JF is the actor... Shep is the character. Let's try and keep the two seperate shall we? Okay throwing this out to the guys out there (and some gay men who like the female form) What man hasn't checked out a woman's cleavage? And SHEP ;) staring at Larrin's cleavage this is something new for a man... how? I mean it's not like a lot of men don't like T&A is it? Sorry boys I do seem to be generalising. :P I mean i've never known a man to flirt, or to buy porn or girl mags or talk to a woman's cleavage... IIRC, Rodney is a bigger tart than Shep is. He's the one who always talks about hot women, getting captured by them, checks them out, legs, butt, boobs, smiles, flirting... shall I list said episodes?

06.43? Well, I guess timing really is everything. larrin did say Shep shouldn't shoot his load too early, so I guess someone had to keep an eye on the clock. So what you're actually saying here then is that you agree with me. I knew you'd come round to my way of thinking... everyone does eventually. :D And it's Shep, not Joe... again felt the need to clarify. And i'd be greatful if you could post a cap of said shameless looking at boobs, please.

Ahhhh I see the scene you mean... it's the one where he's looking up at her from a seating postion as she leans precariously over him... *watches scene again* Oh yes, that scene was shamefull wasn't it? How dare you look directly into her eyes when he should be looking at her boobs!! What sort of a man is he? He should be ashamed of himself... or do you mean that little nanosecond that he looks down and thinks about what she's said... yeah I guess that could be construed at looking at her boobs. :rolleyes: Trust me hon, you know someone's looking at your boobs when they talk to your chest first then to you!

As for the double entendre, I guess it all depends on how your mind is set, your's is obviously set to 'dirty'. Don't panic, it doesn't mean that you're bad, it simply means it just means you're extremely shallow. ;) Welcome to the gutter btw! Besides I think you'll find that it's Larrin who was the smut Queen. If you can give me ONE example of Shep initiating the innuendo, then i'll give you some green jello. I bet you won't find one!

Oh please bore me, i'm having a touch of insomnia at the moment. So you could really help me out there! Thanks!

Don't knock the closet until you've tried it. ;)

Damn those PTB for their continuity with the gift of life! Have they no shame? Did you really see the it coming? Just thought i'd clarify, that no it wasn't a double entendre, that was just your dirty mind again. :D

Don't fall off your chair FAII! BUT, I actually agree with you that CG was a great ep. I think this is a first, but don't go feeling special as i'm not done yet. I'm saving myself for the final climax :D

:eek: Tell me he didn't bend down and pick her up of the floor!!! That's absolutely disgracefull! He should have kicked her while she was down and just taken advantage of the opportunity! Oh wait isn't that what you're implying? :P So, putting your arm round someone's waist is considered??? I gather you're not a first aider then? He wasn't sure whether she could stand and thought he might have to carry her so the arm went to the back first, then to the waist when she was standing... have you NEVER supported someone by the waist if they were feeling woozy? So if he'd have dragged her up by the arms, that would have suited you better? So he grabbed her by the waist? That automatically makes him what?

Oh trust me if Sheppard was heavy breathing i'd have been the first to notice. :D Her stumbling, was Larrin using her faminine wiles... some women are sneaky like that, and if done correctly can bring a man to his knees.... :P

Actually she kissed him. Hehehe oh I so look forward to visiting that thread... unless of course you don't want someone like me visiting, and posting. ;)

Figures please compared to the other ones. Thank you. :D

And you know this by what? Asked the whole viewing fandom, conducted a poll, got a focus group together? Facts and figures, please FAII.

Ah you forgot to add that it was Rodney that wanted to be taken by the sexy alien. And you also obviously forgot about Teyla's rolling of eyes... she's obviously used to it... and wasn't phased by it all. Why was that do you think? :D

Would it make you feel better if I said you weren't as nutty as a fruit cake, and are taking this way to seriously. Sorry can't help you there. I think you've blown this way out of proportion and can only see Shep as being the 'Kirker' i'm sure I could provide you of so much material of Rodney 'kirking'. You know, just to keep things in perspective. :D

Didn't you know that sex sells?

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Oh yes, I couldn't agree more very immature, because men just don't have that banter in real life do they? None of the men I know would tease the other in that manner, or talk about women that way, or how sexy they are. How would you define no social inhibitions then FAII? Have you never had any banter like this with your friends? Very friendly can have a variety of connotations, maybe it's just your dirt mind FAII? Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with having a dirty mind, it's all good, especially the images it conjures up.
It was not the banter itself that I was complaining about, it was the obvious allusion to sex the writers were making. Why would John volunteer for a boring baby-sitting job, anyway? The writers are obviously indicating that while the indigenous people might not have been having rampant sex on the streets, they might not have been heavily clad or had any qualms about making out on the streets or fondling John.

*looks at her own ample cleavage and smiles proudly* And showing off cleavage equals? Just incase you didn't know Fallen, BIG BOOBS = BIG CLEAVAGE! You might want to trust me on this one. ;) I speak from experience. :D
The problem is that she's got big boobs. The problem is that whenever a Stargate actress has boobs, the writers give her something that shows off said boobs.

Oh yes, UST should just be banished, because it's just so wrong having a male and female attracted to each other. How dare they enjoy flirting? Don't they realise that it's just sinful and they should each of them be wearing chastity belts and not make any eye contact whatsoever. It's disgraceful that a man and woman should find themselves attracted to each other. TPTB should be ashamed of themselves. Actually the best innuendo line was, "Don't shoot too early... I'm sure that's not the first time you've heard that for a woman!" ;)
Because it's detrimental to John's character. We already have such lowpoints as Sanctuary, The Tower and Epiphany, voted three worst episodes of Seasons 1-2 here on Gateworld

Okay, work with me her FAII JF is the actor... Shep is the character. Let's try and keep the two seperate shall we? Okay throwing this out to the guys out there (and some gay men who like the female form) What man hasn't checked out a woman's cleavage? And SHEP ;) staring at Larrin's cleavage this is something new for a man... how? I mean it's not like a lot of men don't like T&A is it? Sorry boys I do seem to be generalising. :P I mean i've never known a man to flirt, or to buy porn or girl mags or talk to a woman's cleavage... IIRC, Rodney is a bigger tart than Shep is. He's the one who always talks about hot women, getting captured by them, checks them out, legs, butt, boobs, smiles, flirting... shall I list said episodes?
The question is why did they add it into the episode?! Rodney talks the talk, but John walks the walk. Also, Rodney was equally immature in this episode, only he didn't actually Kirk himself.

06.43? Well, I guess timing really is everything. larrin did say Shep shouldn't shoot his load too early, so I guess someone had to keep an eye on the clock. So what you're actually saying here then is that you agree with me. I knew you'd come round to my way of thinking... everyone does eventually. :D And it's Shep, not Joe... again felt the need to clarify. And i'd be greatful if you could post a cap of said shameless looking at boobs, please.
Oh yes, I forgot about the shooting too early. Another low point. Why should I post a cap because you're too lazy to revisit the episode?

Ahhhh I see the scene you mean... it's the one where he's looking up at her from a seating postion as she leans precariously over him... *watches scene again* Oh yes, that scene was shamefull wasn't it? How dare you look directly into her eyes when he should be looking at her boobs!! What sort of a man is he? He should be ashamed of himself... or do you mean that little nanosecond that he looks down and thinks about what she's said... yeah I guess that could be construed at looking at her boobs. :rolleyes: Trust me hon, you know someone's looking at your boobs when they talk to your chest first then to you!
He doesn't look down to the ground. He does that later. He does, however, look down at her chest-level. At least he had enough class not to start out staring at her boobs.

As for the double entendre, I guess it all depends on how your mind is set, your's is obviously set to 'dirty'. Don't panic, it doesn't mean that you're bad, it simply means it just means you're extremely shallow. ;) Welcome to the gutter btw! Besides I think you'll find that it's Larrin who was the smut Queen. If you can give me ONE example of Shep initiating the innuendo, then i'll give you some green jello. I bet you won't find one!
Are you denying the fact that the episode was chock-full of innuendo? And pray tell, point out a single sentence in my posts where I have claimed that John "initiated an innuendo". This is not the "John Sheppard Is A Bad Man"-thread (that's the other thread). This is a thread about the bad writing of this episode. I'm blaming the writers for the double entendres (and by proxy also Larrin's character). Read before you respond.

Damn those PTB for their continuity with the gift of life! Have they no shame? Did you really see the it coming? Just thought i'd clarify, that no it wasn't a double entendre, that was just your dirty mind again. :D
I was just pointing out the pointlessness of reintroducing it in such a pointless episode.

:eek: Tell me he didn't bend down and pick her up of the floor!!! That's absolutely disgracefull! He should have kicked her while she was down and just taken advantage of the opportunity! Oh wait isn't that what you're implying? :P So, putting your arm round someone's waist is considered??? I gather you're not a first aider then? He wasn't sure whether she could stand and thought he might have to carry her so the arm went to the back first, then to the waist when she was standing... have you NEVER supported someone by the waist if they were feeling woozy? So if he'd have dragged her up by the arms, that would have suited you better? So he grabbed her by the waist? That automatically makes him what?
It's part of the big ball of wax. Had it just been that arm snaking around her waist, then I wouldn't have minded. But as part of the big ball of wax, yah.

Oh trust me if Sheppard was heavy breathing i'd have been the first to notice. :D Her stumbling, was Larrin using her faminine wiles... some women are sneaky like that, and if done correctly can bring a man to his knees.... :P
Smart men who don't think with their penises would not fall for it.

Actually she kissed him. Hehehe oh I so look forward to visiting that thread... unless of course you don't want someone like me visiting, and posting. ;)
She was the first leaned in, but he opened his mouth and leaned forward slightly. While she initiated the make-out session, John had no problems going with it. This is not a case of "She kissed him and he didn't have enough time to react!". After all, it wasn't just a chaste kiss, they had initiated a make-out session (as the wet sound of two open mouthed kisses indicate).

And you know this by what? Asked the whole viewing fandom, conducted a poll, got a focus group together? Facts and figures, please FAII.
Polls. Conducted here on Gateworld with over 150 votes. "Sanctuary", "The Tower" and "Epiphany" took Top3 of "Worst Episodes in Stargate History" with most of the voters citing the Kirking and immature Kirk-humour back before Season 3 aired.

Then "Irresistible" and "Irresponsible" aired and another poll decided that they were the worst episodes of Season 3.

Ah you forgot to add that it was Rodney that wanted to be taken by the sexy alien. And you also obviously forgot about Teyla's rolling of eyes... she's obviously used to it... and wasn't phased by it all. Why was that do you think? :D
And this makes the episode less immature how?

Would it make you feel better if I said you weren't as nutty as a fruit cake, and are taking this way to seriously. Sorry can't help you there. I think you've blown this way out of proportion and can only see Shep as being the 'Kirker' i'm sure I could provide you of so much material of Rodney 'kirking'. You know, just to keep things in perspective. :D
I have never once claimed that Rodney's never Kirked in his entire life. Try to find a single word in my post where I claim that. The fact that Rodney might or might not have Kirked in the past does not in any way redeem John. It's like saying you killed 10 children, but someone else just killed 25, so your crime is really "not that bad":

Also, Rodney has never in his Stargate history Kirked. While he's tried flirting with random aliens, he's always failed in the past. That is not the definition of Kirking. And he's only done it twice, once upon the insistance of John ("The Brotherhood") since he didn't even notice the perceived UST until John pointed it out to him. Then he might've tried something with Norrina. It's hardly on the same scale as John.

Did you know that in the Middle East, a woman can be stoned to death by having an affair while men aren't? Does this make it right? Just because something happens does not make it right.

Redhooks
October 29th, 2007, 01:09 AM
The problem is that she's got big boobs. The problem is that whenever a Stargate actress has boobs, the writers give her something that shows off said boobs.
I think the costume had a wonder bra or padding in it because Jill Wagner is a 34B. I don't consider those big, but maybe just about right. ;)

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I think the costume had a wonder bra or padding in it because Jill Wagner is a 34B. I don't consider those big, but maybe just about right. ;)
Then it's even worse. If an actress doesn't have breasts that are "big enough", the producers will have her wear a wonderbra and/or padding to make them even bigger!

Salas1
October 29th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Did you know that in the Middle East, a woman can be stoned to death by having an affair while men aren't? Does this make it right? Just because something happens does not make it right.

Wow talk about clutching at straws.

Men are frequently used as sex objects as well if you hadn't noticed, by the way, Ronon is as 'scantily clad' in all episodes he's been in as Larrin was in this single episode. But he doesn't have big boobs, so it's alright by you.

Also, that banter is well written and is pretty much exactly how it would be reacted to in a real situation.

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Wow talk about clutching at straws.

Men are frequently used as sex objects as well if you hadn't noticed, by the way, Ronon is as 'scantily clad' in all episodes he's been in as Larrin was in this single episode. But he doesn't have big boobs, so it's alright by you.
Point out a single man that's been used as Kirking material for a female member of the expedition.

Also, Ronon is scantily clad, you say? In which episodes would these be? Or do you count no sleeves as scantily clad? Because his normal attire is a sleeveless shirts of some kind and leather pants (brown) followed by boots. The only arts of his body not covered are his arms and head.

And really, that's not scanty.

Also, that banter is well written and is pretty much exactly how it would be reacted to in a real situation.
Wow, the sexual banter was well written and not cliché or stupid at all?

"Don't shoot to early" - "I'm sure that's not the first time you've heard that from a woman".

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Oh Fallen... this is going to be a fun debate. http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/Scully_album/devil-2.jpg

*cough*

*looks at her own ample cleavage and smiles proudly* And showing off cleavage equals? Just incase you didn't know Fallen, BIG BOOBS = BIG CLEAVAGE! You might want to trust me on this one. ;) I speak from experience.

Oh yes, UST should just be banished, because it's just so wrong having a male and female attracted to each other. How dare they enjoy flirting? Don't they realise that it's just sinful and they should each of them be wearing chastity belts and not make any eye contact whatsoever. It's disgraceful that a man and woman should find themselves attracted to each other. TPTB should be ashamed of themselves. Actually the best innuendo line was, "Don't shoot too early... I'm sure that's not the first time you've heard that for a woman!"

Okay, work with me her FAII JF is the actor... Shep is the character. Let's try and keep the two seperate shall we? Okay throwing this out to the guys out there (and some gay men who like the female form) What man hasn't checked out a woman's cleavage? And SHEP staring at Larrin's cleavage this is something new for a man... how? I mean it's not like a lot of men don't like T&A is it? Sorry boys I do seem to be generalising. :P I mean i've never known a man to flirt, or to buy porn or girl mags or talk to a woman's cleavage... IIRC, Rodney is a bigger tart than Shep is. He's the one who always talks about hot women, getting captured by them, checks them out, legs, butt, boobs, smiles, flirting... shall I list said episodes?

Oh please bore me, i'm having a touch of insomnia at the moment. So you could really help me out there! Thanks!

Don't knock the closet until you've tried it.

Damn those PTB for their continuity with the gift of life! Have they no shame? Did you really see the it coming? Just thought i'd clarify, that no it wasn't a double entendre, that was just your dirty mind again.

Don't fall off your chair FAII! BUT, I actually agree with you that CG was a great ep. I think this is a first, but don't go feeling special as i'm not done yet. I'm saving myself for the final climax

Oh trust me if Sheppard was heavy breathing i'd have been the first to notice. Her stumbling, was Larrin using her faminine wiles... some women are sneaky like that, and if done correctly can bring a man to his knees....

Actually she kissed him. Hehehe oh I so look forward to visiting that thread... unless of course you don't want someone like me visiting, and posting.

Figures please compared to the other ones. Thank you.

Ah you forgot to add that it was Rodney that wanted to be taken by the sexy alien. And you also obviously forgot about Teyla's rolling of eyes... she's obviously used to it... and wasn't phased by it all. Why was that do you think?

Would it make you feel better if I said you weren't as nutty as a fruit cake, and are taking this way to seriously. Sorry can't help you there. I think you've blown this way out of proportion and can only see Shep as being the 'Kirker' i'm sure I could provide you of so much material of Rodney 'kirking'. You know, just to keep things in perspective.

All I can say to your post is :lol:, I agree with everything you say, when I don't always ;), and I'm laughing so hard my stomach hurts! Oh yeah, you rock! :)

tombraider
October 29th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Good post, FallenAngel.

Cleavage. Could not agree more. How freaking practical is cleavage in space??? Spandex space suit might have been no less sexy but more realistic, especially comparing to the men's travelers suits.

Stupid banter with sexual cliches. Absolutely agreed. The line about shooting early is nothing but cringeworthy. Writing for Vala and her comic delivery were SOO much better. I miss Vala.

Overall I think that the episode suffers from both bad writing and bad choice of an actress. Even the sexual tension could have been better with better acting. I heard it somewhere that when in doubt, hire a comedy actor/actress. Their range is always better. But generally I agree that too much sexual tension hurts sci-fi. Kiss was not necessary. It would have been so much classier if they had twinkles in their eyes instead. But such subtlety is rare. *sigh*

Prior_of_the_Ori
October 29th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Personally, I quite liked the episode and don't see what the problem is about but meh.

tombraider
October 29th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Personally, I quite liked the episode and don't see what the problem is about but meh.

Peole have different tastes and different opinions. That what the forums are for, sharing them! I shared mine, you shared yours.

Maltrancko
October 29th, 2007, 05:38 AM
For all things sacred Fallen, give it a rest, you have posted enough whiny threads to last a lifetime

your points are annoying and simply the over the top political correctness of the post-feminism...

women have cleavage - straight men like cleavage - straight men watching = ratings

besides it's a show made to entertain - so just watch it or not.. end of story...

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 05:48 AM
For all things sacred Fallen, give it a rest, you have posted enough whiny threads to last a lifetime

your points are annoying and simply the over the top political correctness of the post-feminism...

women have cleavage - straight men like cleavage - straight men watching = ratings

besides it's a show made to entertain - so just watch it or not.. end of story...
Straight men like a lot of things. Doesn't make it right. Or any less demeaning and offensive to the non-straight men (that is the men who aren't straight and the women) watching. And the show has really hit a low point if the writers can't come up with better things to write than a woman with a stuffed bra and ample cleavage flirting with and making out with the male hero to boost ratings.

Whatever happened to trying to come up with good dramatical storylines to make a good sci-fi show?

It's easy to be high and mighty and call people politically correct whiners and use the word "feminist" almost like a slur when you're part of the group of people who wins on things staying the same way they are. As part of a minority (I'm actually part of many minorities), it's easy however to feel empathy with other minority groups, not that women actually are one since they make up statistically approximately 50% of the world's population.

tombraider
October 29th, 2007, 05:50 AM

I am sorry to barge in, but he has a point. When a show is relying on cleavage for ratings instead of good writing, this is a bad sign for the show. I do not mind cleavage now and then at all when the story is good. That was not the case here.

:cool:

SG-25CSAR
October 29th, 2007, 06:27 AM
You are a work of art, in a good way. With out you this place would be a boring. All I ask is to hold back every now an then cause responding to huge posts can be a drag.

I actually liked "The Tower" It was the first Atlantis Episode that I watched and it got me hocked on the Series. So this is more opinion than anything. It's a good normal Stargate episode, go through the gate-get in trouble- get out of it-and go home.

That is just a awesome display of Mckay Vs Shepperd. There was nothing out of Character about it. Not liking something about a character is one thing but turning a "Negative" trait into bad writing is grossly inaccurate.

have you ever watched none trek Sci-fi? That was expected and it will always be in every show. From Female System Lords to Vala to Larrin to anything else. It is nothing new. And what if she likes to Show off her cleavage? WHat if that's a commander's standard Garment? We know nothing about these people.

What's next, I thought? The obvious answer (and what I immediately assumed upon seeing her) was lots of 'UST' and sexual innuendo. It starts out pretty innocently with "Be a shame to have to do too much damage"
Just some foreshadowing of said material. Nothing bad, kind off funny considering the character's personality.

- Not bad, but you just knew it'd go downhill from there (like the line about "not shooting too fast" and how "that was probably not John's first time hearing that from a woman").
I found that Funny.

And the sexual innuendo aren't even said in a "humurous" way a la Vala where there's a twinkle in her eye and her flirting doesn't actually lead anywhere.
Pure opinion, and nothing wrong with your opinion, I just don't share it.

Highly Speculative (and possibly wrong: Then Joe Flanigan himself gave us a very shameful moment.
The Actor may off looked, but that does not mean that He was supposed to look. One of the Forum rules is to Leave the Actors alone.

What was said moment? I believe it was The Jamie Kennedy Experiment that once featured an experiment where a woman wore a baggy shirt and went out with a fake petition, trying to get random men on the street to stop and talk to her. Almost no one did. But once she switched into one with a big cleavage, they did. And they kept staring down at it, exposing themselves to the hidden camera in her broach or whatever. Note that this is speculation, however.
Interesting experiment. They should have had better controlled situations. I'd hardly call it scientific. And it has nothing to do with the Episode.

Maybe he did find said chalice very interesting. Or maybe the writers called for the character of John Sheppard to ogle her boobs.
Reread my comment on the actor.

So what did Joe Flanigan do? At 06:43, his gaze inexplicably drifts from her eye-level down to her chest-level and then quickly back up again. Either he suddenly found the chalice she was holding extremely interesting in the middle of her speech or he just wanted to "sneak a peek".
Or like I do when talking to Guys or gals He just took an Eye brake and looked down. Note that I, A straight man, also mentioned Guys. It's a perfect human action during a conversation.

However, as the Jamie Kennedy Experiment proved, it's a very heterosexual male thing to do, what with breast being indoctrined as one of the most important parts of a woman's body and all, so we can't completely blame him.

Once again, leave the Actor out of this. and reread what is writen above.

once again, funny. Pure opinion.

Did anyone noticed that it was their best chance to survive and Both of them hated it? It was once again funny.

And then she was fed on. Of course, we all assumed she'd die and we'd finally get rid of the immature theme, but nooooooo. The moment the Wraith said he hadn't completely killed her (at first I was so glad, I was elated), we all knew the Gift of Life was coming (and what a sucky episode to reintroduce something so great in, much like how Kolya appeared briefly in Irresponsible only to die at the end of it).
Opinion, and do you really think that the Good Guy would just let her die?

Then he bent down to "help her get up" and what the Hell was the man doing?! Who the Hell helps someone get up from the floor by putting one arm around their waist?!
My Mom did when I fell of my bike while learning how to ride, does that mean she is a disgusting freak? Pure opinion based on a dirty mind, sorry.

You do it by taking her hand(s) and pulling them up! That was soooo copping a feel. But how to you keep them from falling back down?

This was, of course followed by a "his face close to hers" moment (complete with heavy breathing), followed by her stumbling and even more close-face-time (as cliché dictates).
No, as TV dictates

And then they kissed. We all knew it was gonna happen. By the way, see my companion thread, "Why Colonel Space Slut Should Not Be In Command", for my reaction on this.
Jack, Daniel, Carter, Teal'c have done this...Oh my:eek: Stargate's a porn show!!

Learned what? That people can kiss on TV?

Or it could be that the small portion of Fan dome that is Gateworld of who decided to vote didn't like these episodes as much as others.

Actualy...Statistics on a Fanwebsite aren't that accurate when it comes to the big picture.

once again, Rodney VS Mckay

Please tell me I'm not going insane. Please tell me that you straight guys didn't find the episode really, really entertaining and well written.
It wasn't the best out there. I found it slitly funny and it got rid of 1 hour. I rate this as average.

As a gay man who has absolutely no sexual interest in the episode, I found it insulting
Well, some women didn't

Not just to women (by how they're treated as sexual objects on Stargate) and to John
You mean on TV. TV.TV.TV That's why its not good to watch too much TV. It is bad to get into TV too much maybe even sinful.

(by how detrimental this episode was to his character) but to us viewers as well, that they'd resort to this adolescent boy-girl-sex-humour!

Perhaps they were targeting an Adolescent Audience?

I won't say that this made my "rewatch" list but it wasn't bad. And once agian this is a matter of opinion

Omigod, omigod you guys[i]. [i]I'm, like, gonna cry. I've got tears coming out of my nose. This is like Titanic, only no one dies.

What????

Ebinia
October 29th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Hi

I just posted in the 'general discussion' thread something I hardly ever do. However the huge suckiness of this episode compelled me to tell the writers just how crap they were. I agree with everything you've written here and will definitely stop watching the show if it carries on like this, it was painful and awful to watch.

Ebinia

valaareyn
October 29th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Hi

I just posted in the 'general discussion' thread something I hardly ever do. However the huge suckiness of this episode compelled me to tell the writers just how crap they were. I agree with everything you've written here and will definitely stop watching the show if it carries on like this, it was painful and awful to watch.

Ebinia

Ditto.!!!!!!!!!!!

and I will add that "in my opinion" it was just embarrasing for the writers. They can and have done better.

sweetsamurai
October 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM
And then she was fed on. Of course, we all assumed she'd die and we'd [b]finally get rid of the immature theme, but nooooooo. The moment the Wraith said he hadn't completely killed her (at first I was so glad, I was elated), we all knew the Gift of Life was coming (and what a sucky episode to reintroduce something so great in, much like how Kolya appeared briefly in Irresponsible only to die at the end of it). Then he bent down to "help her get up" and what the Hell was the man doing?! Who the Hell helps someone get up from the floor by putting one arm around their waist?! You do it by taking her hand(s) and pulling them up! That was soooo copping a feel.

[/i].
HAHA - I wanted her to die also, lol.

I agree with everything you said in your post.

I didn't hate this episode but still it did annoy me with all the sexual cheesy one liners and innuendos. One of the biggest reasons I love Stargate is because they didn't do this at the start.

Why is it that if the leader is a woman, she has to be booby pushing and all sexual in getting what she wants. As a straight woman I am fed up with seeing this on TV and in films! UGH, Stargate is better than this! It is intelligent TV that does not have to stoop to such levels.

I didn't like how JOhn is being turned into a stupid fool and a slut. I really like Sheppard but no-one or I don't like sluts. I am loosing all respect for Sheppard.

Sheppard is not so stupid as to be fooled by her kiss at the end. He is special ops trained for goodness sake. And when she kept punching him, did he not know how to block a punch?

Ugh, poor writing, I could have done better in my sleep.

"Don't shoot too fast. I bet that isn't the first time a woman has said that to you." Classy, so classy.

sweetsamurai
October 29th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Post feminism? It has nothing to do with feminism. It's about basic human respect.

women have brains - people like intelligent TV - intelligent Tv breeds intelligent people = Less dumb bums roaming the streets.

Also, is there not enough dumb Tv out there for THE red blooded males to watch that we 'PC' people who want intelligence over candy and puke can not simply be given ONE TV show without cheese?

Fallen - you keep posting - I liked you post!

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Not to mention that kids are impressionable (read: stupid). Yes, kids are (kinda) stupid. They have problems differentiating between whatäs right and wrong, what's real and not and what's black and white or something.

If they're constantly bombarded with the message that unless you're sexy, scantily clad, thin and young, you're not good enough (if you're a woman), then the girls will want to be that kind of girls, despite what they themselves might want as being that kind of girl will get them "respect".

If shows keep bombarding the kids with messages like "Girls are sluts, but guys are players" and that the female body is something to be exploited, if it really any surprise that so many rapes occur yearly that's actually just the guy being dumwitted and not realizing that "No means no" or guys beating their girlfriends or treating them like dirt?

Because heterosexual men like it when they see heterosexual men get the little slutty girls and be the hero and be all manly. Meanwile, this will teach the next generation that "unmanly" guys are to be ridiculed and beaten up and that girls are just sluts waiting to be picked.

Niteshadow
October 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM
why not just post this in the anti thread :rolleyes:

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 07:55 AM
why not just post this in the anti thread :rolleyes:
Because I'm not anti season 4. I'm anti-this-particular-episode.

Niteshadow
October 29th, 2007, 07:56 AM

it only lost me in the middle but overall i did like the episode too.

Jumper_One
October 29th, 2007, 08:01 AM

I agree with some of Fallen's points (not about the cleavage and some other stuff though). but you're right there are way too many threads about this

Niteshadow
October 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM
now if it was a male that was beating on Sheppard the whole episode would you like it more???

Jumper_One
October 29th, 2007, 08:04 AM
now if it was a male that was beating on Sheppard the whole episode would you like it more???

might be possible...dunno

Ebinia
October 29th, 2007, 08:08 AM
HAHA - I wanted her to die also, lol.
Why is it that if the leader is a woman, she has to be booby pushing and all sexual in getting what she wants. As a straight woman I am fed up with seeing this on TV and in films! UGH, Stargate is better than this! It is intelligent TV that does not have to stoop to such levels.

I know I'm bringing my own agenda to the table here but if this really is how the show runners think women in charge should be portrayed then I guess it explains why they got rid of Weir. How long will it be before Carter starts showing more cleavage?

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Not once did I complain about the fact that Larrin beat Sheppard to a bloody pulp. I am not an avid lover of whumping nor do I really mind as long as it's got a logical context.

It's the sexual crap I'm complaining over.

Xaeden
October 29th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Well I rather enjoyed it, not because I saw/enjoyed any sexual tension, but rather because it made fun of Sheppard's Kirk like status. The episode started off by reminding us of this with his trip to planet funtime. Very Sheppard like. Then after being taunted by Lirren's little remarks (which was clearly just a tactic on her part - they were playing good cop, bad cop so it was perfectly logical for her to say those things) he finds himself being kissed by her and dives right in, unaware that she isn't really in love with him after he just saved her life twice. I was rather bemused by that.

As far as comments like Telya acting like that, of course that would be a bad thing as she is a completely different person and as such it would be massively out of character for her to do something like that. However, if they were to introduce a female Kirk I'd have no issue with it. Also, he didn't run down to save her and leave the controls on because she was hot. He did so because he happens to care what happens to other people and would've done the same thing even if a male character was in her place.

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Well I rather enjoyed it, not because I saw/enjoyed any sexual tension, but rather because it made fun of Sheppard's Kirk like status. The episode started off by reminding us of this with his trip to planet funtime. Very Sheppard like. Then after being taunted by Lirren's little remarks (which was clearly just a tactic on her part - they were playing good cop, bad cop so it was perfectly logical for her to say those things) he finds himself being kissed by her and dives right in, unaware that she isn't really in love with him after he just saved her life twice. I was rather bemused by that.
I didn't see any making fun of John's Kirk-status except by the end and that was Rodney whining.

John, meanwhile got some partial Alien Tail (as usual).

IcyNeko
October 29th, 2007, 08:54 AM
_I_ wasn't checking out her cleavage. Her attitude was enough of a put off that I wanted the episode to end.

Overture
October 29th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Wow. Just re-read this before I posted, and realized it's a freaking essay. So skip ahead if you haven't got the patience. Please, if you're going to read on, read it all.

For what it's worth, I am a bisexual male with only a passing interest in the sexual aspect of this episode. She had a great body, and eyes that reminded me of Diana Krall. Then again, so does Joe Flannigan.

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here since as you can probably tell by my number-of-posts that I don't post all that often.

Still, I felt that general rage towards perhaps the easily observed and obvious parts of this episode has cast a shadow over an entertaining episode, and some good character development for John. I am also sick to death of female sexuality being used as a vehicle for complaint.

I shall start, not by defending the innuendo of the episode, which I agree was poorly written (A statement that I'm sure will be forgotten by the end of this post), and childish at times. I start by what I thought the point of the episode was.

John is such the martyr-hero. He will take punches to the face, risk his life etc all for the sake of saving someone who is too stupid to see reason. Or in this case, too set in the survival-paradigm to be able to trust. (A little arrogant on his part, but methinks John is a classic 'save the universe' type rather than the 'show the universe that they're wrong' type. And in the end, he is only human. Correct me if I'm off the mark here.

This episode appears to me to be about John learning that perhaps not everyone can easily be taught or reasoned with, despite the obvious fragility of their circumstances, whether through sheer belligerence or force of habit / survival instinct.

At the end of it, I believe that he has, at least a little bit, questioned his undying faith in the ability of reason and diplomacy to prevail over naivety. Which it did in the end, sadly, letting the point down I thought, but more on that later.

NOW I'll defend the sexuality of the episode.

One of the reasons why Firefly made such good sci-fi is because it was a more likely vision, and closer in part to human nature than many sci-fi shows manage to achieve. So, why then does 3 episodes out of 3-and-a-bit seasons qualify as excessive? In sci-fi we are all such perfect, sterile, no-longer-human versions of ourselves? Discipline doesn't enter into it; ask a random sample of 'founded-on-discipline' armed forces people how often they think about sex whilst on duty, esp. if they see a particularly well-dressed or salacious member of the opposite sex. I will bow down and genuinely admit defeat if it's less than your average joe in the street.

Secondly, breasts are attractive why? Well, on a primal level it's the ability to provide food for a child, and in the male mind this translates to sexual attraction, in order to propagate the species via the most likely to survive scenario. This is academic, your average anthropology student will tell you as much.

Now. Why do women wear clothes that show off their cleavage? Well, many reasons. The greater is to outshine other women. With apologies to my fellow males, most of the time women don't wear that stuff for us, they wear it because they know what they have, and they want to outshine other women.
It's a survival tactic. Some DO however use their sexuality in displays of body parts in their favor. Be it for sexual gain, or to unbalance the opposite sex, it's a potent and effective technique. Why? Because our existence is geared / programmed, down to our very genes, to propagate, to survive.

The Travelers are trying to survive, and by any means necessary. Their nature is to attempt to take what they need to survive, with diplomacy later.
As a result, they are going to use any advantage they have. That's quite obvious when she takes the radiation shields down. She knows how to play to her strengths. That would appear to include her body. That's just the type of person she is. Everything, down to her body, breasts, lips and kiss, can be used to her advantage. This doesn't make her a bimbo, or a show-off. Just wily, and realistic.

Now, somehow John is a slut because he's attracted to members of the opposite sex, with sexually attractive bodies (at least, by the average standard, I can't speak for everyone's tastes here), who happen to know they have sexually attractive bodies? Since direct and shocking language tends to be the most effective (and therefore offensive) I shall just go out and say it (with censorship for the weak-of-heart). Men like to F$ck. We are programmed to spread our seed, to sleep with as many women as possible. Which is part of the reason (only part) that men so often stray, and why we are *******s. No, we are. Don't fight it guys.

Now, the decision of having this episode:

Yes, sexual tension attracts viewers, male more often that not.
To be honest, if they'd actually slept together, I'd have been happy for John, but the narrative would have been destroyed then, the characters would have betrayed their nature in the end, and this entire point would collapse like a Wraith in the Australian desert. Personally, if she hadn't grabbed John's weapon so quickly, I believe he would have come to his senses and pushed her away.

Sadly, John in his arrogance as a human and a hero, believed that he'd gotten through to her, and in all his male weakness, lost his concentration and took the kiss as a sign of her relenting. It's amazing what a near-death experience can do for one's sexual appetite, and so he may have found it plausible.
I don't think he was arrogant enough to think he DESERVED the kiss (see also: Kirk), but wasn't surprised by it either. Poor *******. Hell, that long in space, the grief of losing Elizabeth, maybe he was just really toey. (which is a nice way of saying 'horny'), or had a need for physical comfort that hadn't been satisfied in some time.

If I have ANY complaints about this episode, it's that it's your typical 'Hero Human shows alien humanoids the error of their ways and teaches them to be a better people' episode, a theme that to be honest, gets a little old. Humans are not perfect (a fact which makes us infinitely interesting), but our arrogance seems to know no bounds.

On top of that, in the beginning the female lead seems to be ignorant to the position they are in, and unable to listen to reason, and then at the end of the episode she talks down to John about his offer of alliance, as if she has totally forgotten how she forced his hand from the start, and threw any olive-branches he offered back in his face for the previous 40 minutes. Well, 5 hours, but you get what I mean. I still think this ep is about John though, not her. She was quite forgettable I thought, apart from smacking John around a bit.

Really, I found that the sexual part of the show was quite forgettable all-in-all.

I'm sorry if this episode has spoiled some peoples view of an utterly sexless perfect, straight-edged Utopian future. If humans ever reach this point in my lifetime, I shall become public enemy No. 1. So why show it on the show? Well, I don't expect to see episodes where John is sitting on the toilet, but sex is such an integral part of what we are as humans, and the show is all about what makes us human and defines us in the universe.

It seems to me that critics and critical people tend to be very one-note. THat is to say, they have complaints about the same sorts of things, especially if they don't personally agree with them.

After taking a chance and ignoring what critics say about films that I thought I might enjoy, I have learned a valuable lesson. Ignore critics. It introduces negative feelings into what should be a fun, interesting or just entertaining experience. This episode was by no means one of the best, I thought the plot was shallow and the peripheral characters were ultimately forgettable, although the character development was good. Perhaps you've been spoiled by the last few episodes where the character dev has been heavy, and spread around among two or more characters esp. duo's.

This entire rant is subjective by the way, and I'm looking forward to seeing my entire post pulled apart and analyzed piece-by-piece thus missing the entire point of the whole piece. And I will no doubt continue to see this same behavior aimed at episodes. Such is the nature of critics.

So after all that, if you stayed with me to the end of this rant, thanks for at least hearing me out. I'm quite happy to debate any point here, and I'll even admit when I'm wrong, so bring it on. Hell, I want the guy who wrote the episode to come in here and say "Hey, that's wrong, the episode was just to prove that tits get high ratings because we really wanted a 5th season, and by the way John is a slut", if that is true. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong.

Love you all, because you all love the show.

David :)

EDit: Just realized that this site edits out the word "[email protected]". Having been born 8 months before my parents were married, I am technically one of those. If readers are likely to be offended by this word, it's no bloody wonder you got upset about sexuality.

Xaeden
October 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I didn't see any making fun of John's Kirk-status except by the end and that was Rodney whining.

What happened on the planet was unimportant. It was just meant to remind us of his personality and put him in a good mood. However, because he jumped at the opportunity to do that he got captured, beaten up and almost released into space. To top it all off he at one point thought he was going to get lucky again and Lirren turned the tables on him with a Wraith blast to the stomach. This never happens to a Kirk character. To think that he would not get the girl after saving her life (twice no less) and that all this happened because he chased after women to begin with is totally anti-Kirk.

VSS
October 29th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I agree with FallenAngelII, although I was so hoping to avoid this crap, what with M & M coming on board. It was adolescent sexual humor at its worst, and did nothing whatsoever to advance Sheppard as a character (at least not in any positive light). As soon as Larrin said "There are a lot of things you could do for me," I turned off the TV and went to do something more useful- like brush the dog.

But I knew what was coming because of the spoilers- "Shoot too soon" Oh, please! So I saw as much as I needed to see.

I'm really trying to like Shep, but this kind of behavior is disappointing and really speaks to why the guy could never lead Atlantis. Kinda wondering if he should be leading anything at all. He could be a strong leader, and still be his sarcastic, sexy self but they're turning him into a cliche- for what? What a waste of an episode.

LoneStar1836
October 29th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I would have because it then eliminates the writers' opportunities for writing scenes of Sheppard with the sexy alien of the week. I always cringe at those opportunities because I don't particularly like the way they write for Sheppard when they put him in those situations. I have come to tolerate it because I don't foresee the writers altering their portrayal of the character, but just because I tolerate it doesn't mean I like it.

Sheppard got what he deserved when Larrin lifted his stunner and then shot him. Reminds me of a scene in Firefly from the episode Trash, when Mal gets his sidearm lifted by Saffron who then proceeds to tell him to strip and leaves him behind...stark naked. Mal had already been burned by this woman in another episode, yet he let his guard down and she played him for the fool for buying into her sobbing. It was a great scene for the Mal character in terms of character insight/development. The one in Travelers had zero substance when compared to the one in Firefly, but then that whole episode...heck just that one friggin scene...had way more substance than Travelers and it was a generic robbery/heist formula which Joss worked his magic on, but I suppose it's unfair to compare Stargate shows to Joss Whedon shows because in my eyes there is very little comparison when it comes to overall quality of writing...Joss wins hands down.

Joss Whedon was great at writing sexual tension and innuendo in his various shows....he didn't do it from a 12 year old boy mentality. Stargate writers not so much. That's why I have never been impressed by them when it comes to that. That's why I am anti-ship when it comes to Stargate and why I have very little confidence in them to write Sheppard and "hot alien chicks" in the same scene. If the writers of Stargate could actually take a mature approach to sexual relationships, situations, innuendo, etc. I would not mind them incorporating it into Stargate, but since they can't, I wish they wouldn't.

So a man in the place of Larrin would have done the trick for me. Travelers would have been a better episode because maybe the writers would have had a different focus. The episode as a whole fell flat for me...it was unimaginative.

As far as the most immature episodes go, look no farther than Prometheus Unbound and the nut cracking fire extinguisher and those nasty Irresistible/Irresponsible episodes. I loath them all. Travelers has nothing on them, imo.

metabog
October 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM
She was really hot.

End of story.

SG-25CSAR
October 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM
If this is more of a Character discusion and the way women are treated on SGA, then here is my Opinion.

First of all the Episode was OK, It's not one of the ones that I would rewatch. Sheppered has never been my favorite nor close to it. Some of you have pointed out why. He is always doing the same thing that gets him in trouble. I like Mckay,He knows how to treat a lady...err, maybe not.

I never did fall for the whole Vala thing. Was it funny? yes, but out of place. I would rather not see these kindoff episodes witch the Writers want to show. I don't think its as bad as Irresistable or its Carbon copy. I prefer the old episode style. Go through the gate, get in trouble, and get out of trouble. I loved Season 1 of SG-1 for that reason. Atlantis started on that foot as well. Instead of makeing episodes one can watch again and again and agian and again, you get the point, they make average epsiodes filled with sexual sillyness.

for the record I never noticed cleavlege on Larrin. I also can understand why some women could fined that general treatment of women charactors on TV. I just think that they could of done a MUCH worse epsiode if they were out to do what some of you say they are doing.

stclare
October 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I shall start, not by defending the innuendo of the episode, which I agree was poorly written (A statement that I'm sure will be forgotten by the end of this post), and childish at times. I start by what I thought the point of the episode was.

John is such the martyr-hero. He will take punches to the face, risk his life etc all for the sake of saving someone who is too stupid to see reason. Or in this case, too set in the survival-paradigm to be able to trust. (A little arrogant on his part, but methinks John is a classic 'save the universe' type rather than the 'show the universe that they're wrong' type. And in the end, he is only human. Correct me if I'm off the mark here.

This episode appears to me to be about John learning that perhaps not everyone can easily be taught or reasoned with, despite the obvious fragility of their circumstances, whether through sheer belligerence or force of habit / survival instinct.

At the end of it, I believe that he has, at least a little bit, questioned his undying faith in the ability of reason and diplomacy to prevail over naivety. Which it did in the end, sadly, letting the point down I thought, but more on that later.

snipped for length

David :)

You see i didnt get anything new about shep in this ep. i certainly dont think he learnt anything. thats what disapoints me so much. this was a shepcentric ep and yet i learnt nothing i didnt already know about him :(

i would have been more bothered by this ep if id felt there was any sexual chemistry between them, i however thought there was none,zilch nada ;)

elbo
October 29th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I liked the episode, i don't find it more mature or immature than the rest (i really have to ask what 'mature sci-fi' means?) and i don't get the 'ruined Atlantis' part.

However i must say that even if was considerate a 'development character' episode and a Sheppard centric, it didn't add to Sheppard character but just point out what we already knew about him: he is not gay.

Then i don't see what is the problem with the leather, it looks cool and give the modern sci-fi theme impression. Even the Wraith wear it ... i hope you don't suggest somethingelse ...

What i really find an exageration was the Wraith Queen in 'The Hive' flirting with Sheppard, i mean come on! And kissing with Weir in 'the Long Goodbye', probably the most incompatible characters in the show, it seem so unnatural!

PG15
October 29th, 2007, 12:24 PM
So you're saying Mullie had nothing to do with the writing of "Irresponsible"? However, Imdb does state that Malozzi wrote "The Tower" despite him contesting it...

Why do you trust IMDB so much, despite the fact that anyone registered there can edit it?

Mullie had to do with Irresponsible as much as any of the other writers and SciFi, i.e. they gave notes, but JM was the one that did most of the writing. By the way, I love how if the actual writers working in the studio say something that goes against a completely anonymous-edited site, he's "contesting" it.

Not to mention that kids are impressionable (read: stupid). Yes, kids are (kinda) stupid. They have problems differentiating between whatäs right and wrong, what's real and not and what's black and white or something.

If they're constantly bombarded with the message that unless you're sexy, scantily clad, thin and young, you're not good enough (if you're a woman), then the girls will want to be that kind of girls, despite what they themselves might want as being that kind of girl will get them "respect".

If shows keep bombarding the kids with messages like "Girls are sluts, but guys are players" and that the female body is something to be exploited, if it really any surprise that so many rapes occur yearly that's actually just the guy being dumwitted and not realizing that "No means no" or guys beating their girlfriends or treating them like dirt?

Because heterosexual men like it when they see heterosexual men get the little slutty girls and be the hero and be all manly. Meanwile, this will teach the next generation that "unmanly" guys are to be ridiculed and beaten up and that girls are just sluts waiting to be picked.

What horrible parents to let kids of such young age watch Atlantis.

Landers
October 29th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I'll be politically correct and say "Sheppard" here, but I've also noticed MANY episodes where Sheppard stares at female chests when speaking to them. He does it a LOT. Whether JF just does it, or whether the director tells him to do it, doesn't matter. It is very noticible and I too wish it would stop.

Yes men and women check each other out, but this show is for entertainment purposes. Its for scifi and adventure. It isn't a soap opera, it isn't a romantic show, it isn't comedy, though I have no problem seeing small elements of all in episodes "now and then", but Sheppard HAS become a bit of a male slut. What he does isn't soap, it isn't romantic, it isn't adventurous, its juvenile attempts at potty humor by the writers, and they are ruining what could be a handsome, heroic character.

I hope we don't see Slut Shep ever again!

PG15
October 29th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I'm sure a lot of fans wouldn't mind a Slut Shep in their house...

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Overture - I really enjoyed reading your post, and agree with much of it. You explained your perspective and ideas very clearly and eloquently.

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I'll be politically correct and say "Sheppard" here, but I've also noticed MANY episodes where Sheppard stares at female chests when speaking to them. He does it a LOT. Whether JF just does it, or whether the director tells him to do it, doesn't matter. It is very noticible and I too wish it would stop.

Yes men and women check each other out, but this show is for entertainment purposes. Its for scifi and adventure. It isn't a soap opera, it isn't a romantic show, it isn't comedy, though I have no problem seeing small elements of all in episodes "now and then", but Sheppard HAS become a bit of a male slut. What he does isn't soap, it isn't romantic, it isn't adventurous, its juvenile attempts at potty humor by the writers, and they are ruining what could be a handsome, heroic character.

I totally disagree that Sheppard stares at women's chests. I've never seen that personally. But, I guess you can see anything if you want to, if you stare long enough ...

bluealien
October 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Post feminism? It has nothing to do with feminism. It's about basic human respect.
What is?

women have brains - people like intelligent TV - intelligent Tv breeds intelligent people = Less dumb bums roaming the streets.

What point are you trying to make?

Also, is there not enough dumb Tv out there for THE red blooded males to watch that we 'PC' people who want intelligence over candy and puke can not simply be given ONE TV show without cheese?

Well I'm not a red blooded male and still managed to enjoy the show.. and what has "PC" got to do with anything. Didn't see anything "dumb" either.

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I'm sure a lot of fans wouldn't mind a Slut Shep in their house...
I sure wouldn't mind a Shep in my house, but he is not a slut, in my opinion - I know you're not saying he is here, PG. He kisses a woman, and he's a slut? A kiss she initiates? Blimey, some folks have very different ideas to me... I honestly get the impression some people are stuck in a time warp, and I genuinely mean that. Guys do kiss attractive women if they come on to them and they're free and single, but who knows what Shep would've done if Larrin hadn't have pulled the gun? Personally, not a lot, I think.

FoolishPleasure
October 29th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I totally disagree that Sheppard stares at women's chests. I've never seen that personally. But, I guess you can see anything if you want to, if you stare long enough ...

Check out Aurora and Inferno. Off-hand that is two I can think of. Shep does do a lot of oogling of the female anatomy.

I didn't watch Travelers because it looked like another Skanktuary or Tower-type episode. Interesting to see reactions from it as it seems TPTB brought back the ShepHo in all his glory. I really thought ShepHo was done and buried because we didn't see him in season 3. Instead we got "shy-guy" Shep who didn't know how to express himself (at least that's what he told Teyla). Sorry to hear he is still a "player".

PG15
October 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM
As far as I'm concerned, there wasn't an ounce of "Shep-Ho"-ing all through the episode, until that kiss that Larrin initiated (as a thanks for saving her life twice, of course)...and then it disappeared right after.

You should really give it a try instead of relying on others' opinions.

Anywho, I'll admit right here that I do check out a pretty girl if she happens to wander by; and yes, I do sneak a glance at her breasts if they're particularly voluminous. All sane male do, even those who say they don't. They're worse, actually, since they're liars too.

And that's the ugly truth.

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Check out Aurora and Inferno. Off-hand that is two I can think of. Shep does do a lot of oogling of the female anatomy.

I didn't watch Travelers because it looked like another Skanktuary or Tower-type episode. Interesting to see reactions from it as it seems TPTB brought back the ShepHo in all his glory. I really thought ShepHo was done and buried because we didn't see him in season 3. Instead we got "shy-guy" Shep who didn't know how to express himself (at least that's what he told Teyla). Sorry to hear he is still a "player".
Well I've watched both of those episodes many times, and like the 'licking of the lips' I've seen Sheppard accused of when he's supposedly ogling women, which he has never done, by the way, despite some claims, I think you're seeing things, or projecting there, honey.

As for Shep 'Ho'. Good grief, talk about broken record...

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 01:06 PM
As far as I'm concerned, there wasn't an ounce of "Shep-Ho"-ing all through the episode, until that kiss that Larrin initiated (as a thanks for saving her life twice, of course)...and then it disappeared right after.

Anywho, I'll admit right here that I do check out a pretty girl if she happens to wander by; and yes, I do sneak a glance at her breasts if they're particularly voluminous. All sane male do, even those who say they don't. They're worse, actually, since they're liars too.

Yes, it is. It's human nature. All guys do it, if they're het, I'm sure. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It's the way of things. I'm surprised some folks are so offended by the fact that humans like looking at one another. Not that I think Sheppard does it more or less than anyone else. It's easy to imagine things if you have an agenda...

Heaven
October 29th, 2007, 01:15 PM
why do people always stick it to Shep?
I don't remember anyone complaining when Rodney drools over Carter or that Taranan scientist, or that chick who stole the ZPM from us, or that Wraith who wanted to be an ancient

Ltcolshepjumper
October 29th, 2007, 01:19 PM
wraith who wanted to be an ancient? Oh, the male Wraith who was pretending to be an Ancient lady. got it.

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I don't remember anyone complaining when Rodney drools over Carter or that Taranan scientist, or that chick who stole the ZPM from us, or that Wraith who wanted to be an ancient
Hmmm, good question. Er, Rodney's not the dashing, handsome hero? Or people feel threatened by Sheppard's good looks? Or maybe quite a few people would like to see Sheppard with another character of their choice? Maybe, it's because Rodney's the geeky scientist, so it's ok for him to drool and lust? He's not the hero, he's Mr Ordinary? Well, other than him being a raving genius! There aren't many of those around! Not that I mind if Rodney does drool etc, I think it's sweet, personally. :)

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 01:21 PM
wraith who wanted to be an ancient? Oh, the male Wraith who was pretending to be an Ancient lady. got it.
I got really confused there for a minute!

FoolishPleasure
October 29th, 2007, 01:22 PM
.... ogling women, which he has never done, by the way, despite some claims, I think you're seeing things, or projecting there, honey.

There's our boy!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/joesmom1/thetower300.jpg

No, its not Inferno, but I just happened to have this on hand. :)

PG15
October 29th, 2007, 01:23 PM

They're jealous. I mean, what man wouldn't want to be Shep? He gets all the chicks, he can fly and shoot anything he wants, he's far away from all his ex girlfriends and family members, he's got a Johnny Cash poster, he's not going bald, etc.

but I just happened to have this on hand. :)

Which is amusing all by itself. :p

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 01:23 PM
There's our boy!

Yeah, that's shock, dear, hence his next line being 'I never see this coming'.

As for Inferno, I have that to hand, and, er, no ogling of boobs there, I'm afraid.

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 01:25 PM
They're jealous. I mean, what man wouldn't want to be Shep? He gets all the chicks, he can fly and shoot anything he wants, he's far away from all his ex girlfriends and family members, he's got a Johnny Cash poster, he's not going bald, etc.

Which is amusing all by itself. :p
And us girls know he doesn't shoot too soon after his impressive display in Travelers ;)

SG-25CSAR
October 29th, 2007, 01:29 PM
There's our boy!

well, what would you do if the person belonging to the sex you are attracted to just out of nowhere stripes themselves naked in front of you in a second?

FoolishPleasure
October 29th, 2007, 01:31 PM
well, what would you do if the person belonging to the sex you are attracted to just out of nowhere stripes themselves naked in front of you in a second?

Well, he COULD have said, "Put your clothes on and LEAVE!" but instead we get the "I never see it coming" with a fade-to-black. He is "how" old? She was "how" old? He COULD have said NO. He is a representative of Earth/Atlantis and IS commanding officer. Just comes across as terribly immature IMO.

s09119
October 29th, 2007, 01:34 PM
There's our boy!

In this case, the directors TOLD HIM to do that, as it was part of the episode's central plot of Shep and this girl flirting a lot. That wasn't just him randomly scaning her chest.

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 01:36 PM
In this case, the directors TOLD HIM to do that, as it was part of the episode's central plot of Shep and this girl flirting a lot. That wasn't just him randomly scaning her chest.
Indeed. :) People will try and manipulate facts to suit their own purposes.

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Well, he COULD have said, "Put your clothes on and LEAVE!" but instead we get the "I never see it coming" with a fade-to-black. He is "how" old? She was "how" old? He COULD have said NO. He is a representative of Earth/Atlantis and IS commanding officer. Just comes across as terribly immature IMO.
What has age got to do with anything? Mara was over 21 after all. And,Sheppard did say no, as has been discussed by the writers of the episode on several occasions...but this is all old hat now and water under the bridge... Time to move on, I think. :)

Pegasus_SGA
October 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Can you say hell yeah!! But then you weren't asking me were you? :o

I know I'm bringing my own agenda to the table here but if this really is how the show runners think women in charge should be portrayed then I guess it explains why they got rid of Weir. How long will it be before Carter starts showing more cleavage?

No this isn't how they see women in charge, look at Teyla, Carter and Weir each one of them are strong women. Larrin is a different type of leader, and she may have felt that the only way she would get the respect of the men was to play at their games. How long? Ooh I give it about a week. :D

I'll get to you in a bit, hon! You're special and deserve a post just for you

She was really hot.

End of story.

:lol:

You see i didnt get anything new about shep in this ep. i certainly dont think he learnt anything. thats what disapoints me so much. this was a shepcentric ep and yet i learnt nothing i didnt already know about him

i would have been more bothered by this ep if id felt there was any sexual chemistry between them, i however thought there was none,zilch nada ;)

I saw lots about Shep that I didn't know, such as he's actually quite good at mechanics, and fixing the ship as well as using his ATA gene to very good effect. :D

Really? Funny that he actually makes a point of making very good eye contact with the women! Teyla, Weir, Larrin... to name but a few. :D I can assure you that JF looks you in the eyes, and that's very much a Sheppard thing to. Care to point out the eps you mean?

So you'd rather they acted not like real people then? They are still human, you know! :lol: If they didn't react to... stimuli, shall we say, wouldn't people be moaning that their not behving as people normally would? Maybe you'd like to take a wander over to FAII's many threads, in particular the Shep is a slut thread, now renamed due to popular demand, shep isn't fit for command, and i'll meet you over there. ;) I'm sure we could have a very good debate on this particular subject... in fact you might want to read my post to FAII, as I think I coverd this particular subject.... Just a thought! :D

Oggling in Inferno? Did I miss that bit? He's a young heterosexual man, so he enjoys looking at women... even married men do that! ;) So let me get this straight, you've come into a thread specifically about that ep... and you haven't even watched it. Tell you what FP, go watch it, and i'll be happy to debate this further with you, but i'm not going to debate with someone who hasn't seen the ep. Sorry.

Agreed. You take a look at other woman's boobies! PG15 i'm shocked! Have you no shame at looking at pretty women. ;) Thank you for being honest. :D

They do it because he's an easy target hon. And it's called double standards!

There's our boy!

Hmm looks to me that Shep is a bit shocked that there's a nekkid woman stripping off just for him. I didn't think men who kirked got shocked, particularly as that's what they're aiming for... hmmm fancy that!

Oh here's another one for you FP under the spoiler for size

http://www.atlantis.stargatesg1971.com/screencaps/season3/303/HDTVsga-3x03-1434.jpg

Goodness me, that can't be our Rodney kirking/leering our Teyla could it?!! The dirty lil minx. ;)

And us girls know he doesn't shoot too soon after his impressive display in Travelers ;)

*spews coffee over her keyboard* :lol: :lol: :lol:

beire
October 29th, 2007, 01:54 PM

*cough*

Don't knock the closet until you've tried it. ;)

Don't fall off your chair FAII! BUT, I actually agree with you that CG was a great ep. I think this is a first, but don't go feeling special as i'm not done yet. I'm saving myself for the final climax :D

Figures please compared to the other ones. Thank you. :D

Would it make you feel better if I said you weren't as nutty as a fruit cake, and are taking this way to seriously. Sorry can't help you there. I think you've blown this way out of proportion and can only see Shep as being the 'Kirker' i'm sure I could provide you of so much material of Rodney 'kirking'. You know, just to keep things in perspective.

WOOW
a few minutes ago i have registered this account because normally i never post anything.. but i needed to tell you this
Pegasus_SGA, you are great, i think i love you ;)
and i found it a great ep

PG15
October 29th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Agreed. You take a look at other woman's boobies! PG15 i'm shocked! Have you no shame at looking at pretty women. ;) Thank you for being honest. :D

I'm nothing if not (brutally) honest. :D

Get in line. :p ;)

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 02:00 PM
WOOW
a few minutes ago i have registered this account because normally i never post anything.. but i needed to tell you this
Peg, you're getting quite a fan club now. First Ing, then PG, now beire, who next, you little minx? ;)

luvmac
October 29th, 2007, 02:07 PM

If it was a male that was beating on Sheppard (and the leader of the Travelers) I doubt anyone would be having this debate. There wouldn't have been the stupid kiss towards the end and Sheppard NEVER would have dropped his guard if Larrin were a male.

The thing I kept thinking about when watching was how Sheppard dealt with Larrin and the Travelers and how he dealt with Cowen and the Genii. Throughout most of this episode Sheppard used his smarts, training and a little charm, much like he did with Cowen and the Genii. But with Cowen he never underestimated him/the Genii and after they showed they couldn't be trusted not to betray them (even though they had a tenuous alliance) he still had enough wisdom and foresight to bring extra cloaked jumpers to prevent Cowen getting the upper hand. At the end of Travelers he didn't do that with Larrin and the only reason I could see for that was the fact that she was a woman he was interested in. He dropped his guard and that was one of the dumbest, boneheaded moves I think I've ever seen him do. There was no excuse for it. It could have cost him his freedom and the Atlantis expedition their most experienced military officer (at least in the Pegasus Galaxy).

SoulReaver
October 29th, 2007, 02:09 PM
BIG BOOBS = BIG CLEAVAGE! You might want to trust me on this one. [...]
Didn't you know that sex sells?exactly - writers must keep aBreast of latest trends http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/jap.gif

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM
exactly - writers must keep aBreast of latest trends http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/jap.gif
:lol: My keyboard nearly got water on it AGAIN! :)

SoulReaver
October 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
:lol: Touché. Good job I'd just finished my mouthful of water when I read your post, or my keyboard would be very unhappy right now!
:lol: My keyboard nearly got water on it AGAIN! :)?!! excuse me, you're not flirting are you ? such indecent behaviour would be highly inappropriate http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/non.gif
and most appreciated http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/bitman.gif

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 02:21 PM
?!! excuse me, you're not flirting are you ? such indecent behaviour would be highly inappropriate http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/non.gif
:lol: I'll tell you now, my keyboard isn't going to last much longer...;) Good job it's not wine I'm drinking, it'd be such a waste otherwise! :eek:

SoulReaver
October 29th, 2007, 02:28 PM
:lol: I'll tell you now, my keyboard isn't going to last much longer...;) what can I say ? I've always known how to press the right buttons http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/sol.gifon women's keyboards, of course

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 02:28 PM
what can I say ? I've always known how to press the right buttons http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/sol.gifon women's keyboards, of course
:lol: You're killing me here!

Pegasus_SGA
October 29th, 2007, 02:29 PM
WOOW

*hugs* Thank you, why I do believe you've just made me blush hon. Welcome to GW. :D

I'm nothing if not (brutally) honest.

Get in line. :p ;)

That you are hon. Ahhhh PG15, you do still luff me! *huggles* Do you think hugs counts as being a slut? ;) One can only hope :D

Peg, you're getting quite a fan club now. First Ing, then PG, now beire, who next, you little minx? ;)

hehehe I told ya it's the feminie wiles, brings the men to thier knees every time. ;) Or it could be that I just broadcasted it to the whole of Gateworld that I have big boobs. :lol: Point proven I think! :P

I think Inte has gone off me now... thankfully there's another to take his place...

Only joking Inte! You know I luffs ya babe!

oh man I really am a slut!! Go me!! :D

exactly - writers must keep aBreast of latest trends http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/jap.gif

*spews coffee of the keyboard* Thanks for that hon it was about due for a clean. ;) I couldn't agree with you more. :D

:lol: My keyboard nearly got water on it AGAIN! :)

Water? Not wine? Linz I do believe you're slipping. :P

?!! excuse me, you're not flirting are you ? such indecent behaviour would be highly inappropriate http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/non.gif

*snort*

*grabs a towel* That's twice. Oh hon she's a horrendous flirt, worse than me would you believe? :D

Pegasus_SGA
October 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM
what can I say ? I've always known how to press the right buttons http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/sol.gifon women's keyboards, of course

:lol: You're killing me here!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried to green you, but apparantly I have to be a slut and spread the luff around! :P

SoulReaver
October 29th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Or it could be that I just broadcasted it to the whole of Gateworld that I have big boobs. :lol:I'm afraid pics will be required to confirm this
(not for my sake of course, just anticipating the other guys http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/ange.gif)

Do you think hugs counts as being a slut? ;) are you kidding ? of course hugging denotes licentious intent

personally I would never hug a lass before marriage, and would be quite shocked at those who would

beire
October 29th, 2007, 02:56 PM
*hugs* Thank you, why I do believe you've just made me blush hon. Welcome to GW. :D

thanks i guess but you won't see me much here :) i prefer seeing the eps then talking about it.. but i like to read what everyone has to say about them :D

OobeDoobBenubi
October 29th, 2007, 02:58 PM
If you hate the show so much then stop watching. All you have been doing is whine this season it seems. Go find a new show

Linzi
October 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM
thanks i guess but you won't see me much here :) i prefer seeing the eps then talking about it.. but i like to read what everyone has to say about them :D
I understand that. I hope we'll see you again after Tabula Rasa? :)

Pegasus_SGA
October 29th, 2007, 03:05 PM
that's what they all say http://www.fintoys.net/yabb/yabbimages/smilies/pleased.gif

I'm afraid pics will be required to confirm this
(not for my sake of course, just anticipating the other guys http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/smilies/ange.gif)

are you kidding ? of course hugging denotes licentious intent

personally I would never hug a lass before marriage, and would be quite shocked at those who would

*snort* Alas they're to big to show on this forum. ;) Silly me, when has size ever mattered to you guys? ;)

:eek: It denotes lisaciousness? Well had i known that early, i'd have hugged a hell of a lot more people! :P

PG15
October 29th, 2007, 03:06 PM

That you are hon. Ahhhh PG15, you do still luff me! *huggles* Do you think hugs counts as being a slut? ;) One can only hope :D

Well, seemingly any human contact seems to be slutty in this thread, so yes!

Yay sluts! :D

Pegasus_SGA
October 29th, 2007, 03:08 PM

You should come and play after the next ep! Most of us are very friendly, and we'd love to have your input. :D

If you hate the show so much then stop watching. All you have been doing is whine this season it seems. Go find a new show

Hon, they have a right to post their grievances. They just want something different to us. Don't worry, things will settle down. :D

Agent_Dark
October 29th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Or it could be that I just broadcasted it to the whole of Gateworld that I have big boobs. :lol:
pics pls

beire
October 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I understand that. I hope we'll see you again after Tabula Rasa? :)

I think you will :)
You just need to own someone like Pegasus_SGA did and then you'll see me posting a message :P
but now i go to sleep :)

goodnight
beire

OobeDoobBenubi
October 29th, 2007, 03:18 PM
pics pls

Indeed pics or your boobs are smaller then Erica Durances before her boob job if you do the talk

Pegasus_SGA
October 29th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Well, seemingly any human contact seems to be slutty in this thread, so yes!

Yay sluts! :D

Woohoo talking of slut talk? Where did FAII go with his words of wisdom?

I think you will :)
You just need to own someone like Pegasus_SGA did and then you'll see me posting a message :P
but now i go to sleep :)

goodnight
beire

:D *hugs* nite Beire. Oh believe me there are a few of us who have very big mouths and we're not afraid to use them. So you'll see us hanging out quite a bit. :D

Oh my that whole sentance was a double entendre. Won't FAII be pleased, I've derailed his thread even further. :D

pics pls

Indeed pics or your boobs are smaller then Erica Durances before her boob job if you do the talk

Alas I fear my boobs would just end up like Alf! Modded! :P The cleavage is out there, you just need to know where to look. ;)

SoulReaver
October 29th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Indeed pics or your boobs are smaller then Erica Durances before her boob job if you do the talkwatch out PGA !it's a booby trap

OobeDoobBenubi
October 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Alas I fear my boobs would just end up like Alf! Modded! :P

Thats what pms are for dont be shy ;)

Agent_Dark
October 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Alas I fear my boobs would just end up like Alf! Modded! :P The cleavage is out there, you just need to know where to look. ;)

if the admis delete teh boobie pics then they have no integrity ;)

ie links pls :P

Lythisrose
October 29th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Why, after reading this thread, do I feel the need to defend the whole concept of boobs? After all, they probably do a fine job of standing up for themselves (at least before a certain age...).
Sheesh, if you wanted a show about beings who have no sexual attraction to each other, maybe you could campaign for "Stargate - Asura", then all interaction would be machine based and those pesky hormones would be eliminated.
I work with some highly intelligent men (and women) who on occasion do make life and death decisions, and they are certainly not above being influenced by the charms of the opposite (or not) sex....

Redhooks
October 29th, 2007, 03:44 PM

hehehe I told ya it's the feminie wiles, brings the men to thier knees every time. ;) Or it could be that I just broadcasted it to the whole of Gateworld that I have big boobs. :lol: Point proven I think! :P

I think Inte has gone off me now... thankfully there's another to take his place...

Only joking Inte! You know I luffs ya babe!

oh man I really am a slut!! Go me!! :D :D
*Iz hurt* :(
No mention of me Peg??? After all you are the only one that can call me... you know. ;)

OT: By the way, when you and Linzi are talking FMB, are you talking about a brand of boots?

Pegasus_SGA
October 29th, 2007, 03:56 PM
watch out PGA !it's a booby trap

:lol: Did I not say that men could be brought down by feminine wiles?! ;) Little did I know that my point would be proven quite so accurately. :D

Thats what pms are for dont be shy ;)

:lol: See know to prove FAII right, (even though he's not) and that men realy can't be outsmarted by a women. I think i'll let you figure it out where I would post such a pic. ;)

if the admis delete teh boobie pics then they have no integrity ;)

ie links pls :P

:lol: Careful AD, Sky will be out with her wet noodle of doom and you really don't want to be on the recieving end of that! Or maybe you would?

*runs and hides*

Why, after reading this thread, do I feel the need to defend the whole concept of boobs? After all, they probably do a fine job of standing up for themselves (at least before a certain age...).
Sheesh, if you wanted a show about beings who have no sexual attraction to each other, maybe you could campaign for "Stargate - Asura", then all interaction would be machine based and those pesky hormones would be eliminated.
I work with some highly intelligent men (and women) who on occasion do make life and death decisions, and they are certainly not above being influenced by the charms of the opposite (or not) sex....

*snort* I couldn't agree more hon. I think that FAII made the biggest booby when he started this thread. :lol: I really didn't think it would take too long before this thread went tits up. :P

Hey, FAII, what happened with the other 3 threads you did of this subject? Did you get much support, or was it a bust? ;)

Pegasus_SGA
October 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM
*Iz hurt* :(
No mention of me Peg??? After all you are the only one that can call me... you know. ;)

OT: By the way, when you and Linzi are talking FMB, are you talking about a brand of boots?

Oh babe i'm sorry :( You know I luffs you and Mitch to. I just didn't want people to think that i've got a harem... :P A girl could get a reputation, ya know! :D

I like to keep some things close to my chest. ;) Hope you weren't too offended, Red. *hugs*

As for your last bit... Ummm, yeah we were. But given the name, we can't braodcast what they're called on a PG forum. :lol:

Redhooks
October 29th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Oh babe i'm sorry :( You know I luffs you and Mitch to. I just didn't want people to think that i've got a harem... :P A girl could get a reputation, ya know! :D

I like to keep some things close to my chest. ;) Hope you weren't too offended, Red. *hugs*

As for your last bit... Ummm, yeah we were. But given the name, we can't braodcast what they're called on a PG forum. :lol:
No problem, I was just messing with you. :P :D
I wanted to make sure it wasn't a brand name of boots with me being ignorant of such things. I see my first guess was right. :rolleyes:

SoulReaver
October 29th, 2007, 04:23 PM
hehehe I told ya it's the feminie wiles, brings the men to thier knees every time. ;)or perhaps some of us feign submission & kneel only to contemplate our prey from a better...vantage point http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/bitman.gif http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/djezee.gif

Pegasus_SGA
October 29th, 2007, 04:39 PM
No problem, I was just messing with you. :P :D
I wanted to make sure it wasn't a brand name of boots with me being ignorant of such things. I see my first guess was right. :rolleyes:

I know hon, you're a sweetie :D http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/1.gif

yeah about those boots... :o its my friend's fault she calls them that and it kinds stuck. :lol: She's a bad influence on me. I used to be so innocent at one time and so quiet. I've been corrupted!! :eek:

or perhaps some of us feign submission & kneel to contemplate our prey from a better...vantage point http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/bitman.gif http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/djezee.gif

:lol: no wonder my boss always used to sit down when i walked in. ;) That explains a lot! :P

Anyway before I head off for the night, I just want to make a formal apology to FAII for derailing another one of his threads! FAII I humbly apologise for any wrongdoings in derailing your fab thread, it really wasn't my intention to cause anarchy, chaos and bedlem.

http://www.cartonionline.com/gif/CARTOON/disney/pinocchio/piocchio03.gif

Good night... oh before I go. FAII could you post the links to your other 3 Travelers, Shep is a slut and should be banished thread. I've found one already... as you know. ;) If not, no worries, i'm sure i'll find them on my own. :D

ETA: Why PG15 you do surprise me with your knowledge of women's shoes... is there something you'd like to share with the thread? ;) :P :D

Pegasus_SGA
October 29th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Succinct and to the point, Mitch! This I need to learn. :D

Right I am going now. :D