X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Episode- Bad Guys

Hello.

I am just asking a question to all to figure out why this happens.

In the SG-1 Season 10 Episode "Bad Guys" ("SG-1 realizes they have stepped through the gate into another planet's museum -- but are mistaken for a band of zealous rebels who have taken hostages." - Gateworld discription.) near the end, SG-1 are standing infront of the gate wanting to go home but are held back by the security, but the thing is, they are standing there for awhile with the Stargate fully opened and ready for them to step through - They'res nothing going in/through the eventhorizon of the Stargate, and no messages back and forth until later.

My question is: How come in some episodes as soon as they step through the portal closes, and in others, it stays open for a long time waiting for them? I just don't get this.. I was thinking what was stoping it from closing, but I couldn't figure it out.

If anyone can give me a good reason why or why not i'd appreciate it

Thanks,
    Regards.
    -Saris

Two possibilities.

A - They had their radio's on and they were sending live signals to the SGC, so as such it kept the gate open.

B - It's a plot device.

I suspect it is B.
    Disliked a recent episode?
    Hate the current season Stargate Atlantis or SG1?
    The writers killed off your favourite character?

Well suck it up Cupcake. It is only a Television Show.

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Templar View Post
      Two possibilities.

A - They had their radio's on and they were sending live signals to the SGC, so as such it kept the gate open.

B - It's a plot device.

I suspect it is B.
      Technically speaking, there's always radiation going through the gate, whether that radiation be visual light, infrared, ultraviolet or radio. Natural radio sources (like the star the planet orbits) would have the same ability to keep the gate open as the teams radios broadcasting.

So, in other words, it's a plot device.
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

The thing i want to know about that episode is the ancient weapons store or whatever it was, that they were looking for before they ended up there

Comment

Probabily was never there..

Comment

Another plot device.

Just as a side note, since SG-1 is finished, things like the Clavus Infatorus (I think that is what it is) will remain unanswered until either the movies deal with it or SG:U deals with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
              Technically speaking, there's always radiation going through the gate, whether that radiation be visual light, infrared, ultraviolet or radio. Natural radio sources (like the star the planet orbits) would have the same ability to keep the gate open as the teams radios broadcasting.
              Yes, but they would be constant.

The EM from a radio would be an unusually high strength signal coming from in front of the gate.

p.s. I love your sig.

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
              Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Comment

if there was radition going through the gate say by natural light all the time the gate would stay open for the whole 38 mintues a time. it is weird bout how long it can stay open
                sigpic
                [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

Speaking of this episode, did you notice the chevrons engage the wrong way ?
                  I mean they started with chevron 6 ... to 1

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Templar View Post
                    Another plot device.

Just as a side note, since SG-1 is finished, things like the Clavus Infatorus (I think that is what it is) will remain unanswered until either the movies deal with it or SG:U deals with it.
                    Clava Igsorus ignatus iirc.. But i would like to see it addressed again, maybe in the third movie.

Comment

Simple explanation that seems to cover most cases of off-world gates that I've seen:

Motion detectors/people detectors mounted in the gate that determine if there are still travelers standing ready to embark.

Find me a case with an off-world gate and this should fit it fairly well, but is probably not perfect.
                      Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

What does this thread have to do with science and technology of stargate?Well i guess this could count as a technology. Why the stargate stays open, but i guess its because of radio signals.

Comment

Answered your own question Sullivan.

Comment

Maybe the gate stays open initially until either a non-natural radio signal is sent or something walks through it.
                            Then after something goes through it waits until there has been a long enough pause in activity for it to close.

Comment

Working...
                            X