PDA

View Full Version : Ronan's Gun

Gelasius
October 27th, 2007, 05:46 PM
so now we know where his gun comes from, i'm curious how he got it and why he didn't know anything about these people when they got into sensor/visual range. hey may know the people but not their ships but its interesting that we've gone 3 seasons and in the 4th season we finally find out where the uber pistol comes from. one question, how does he reload?

gelasius

the fifth man
October 27th, 2007, 06:16 PM
so now we know where his gun comes from, i'm curious how he got it and why he didn't know anything about these people when they got into sensor/visual range. hey may know the people but not their ships but its interesting that we've gone 3 seasons and in the 4th season we finally find out where the uber pistol comes from. one question, how does he reload?

gelasius

That's a very good question about his reloading. Ronan never seems to have a problem with it not working, yet the one Sheppard was using sure ran out of "ammo".

WingedPegasus
October 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM
It's been theorized that the gun used in Travelers is an older, less efficient model than Ronon's.

SG13-NightOps
October 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM

On the first, she did say they had been leaving people on planets because they are running out of room. He must have gotten it from one of those.

And that bugs me... Who the hell makes a Plot Hole THAT BIG???

SoulReaver
October 27th, 2007, 07:09 PM
one question, how does he reload?since it's an energy gun & therefore needs energy to reload maybe the "power outlets" on Atlantis can do the trick (110V perhaps -)

btw remember Larrin must have used max power setting to burn a hole in that blast door (with several shots) which explains why the gun was drained so quickly

markaudette
October 27th, 2007, 08:53 PM
You know, all I saw was a lame excuse to not have to develop and build a small cache of new prop guns. That's all I was seeing.

But don't think I don't approve. It's very evident in this new season that a lot of cost cutting actions are being taken to keep the show afloat. And showing that Ronan got the gun from the Travellers is logical and understandable. Despite this last statement making sense, it was still a ploy to reuse old props.

Ripple in Space
October 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM
one question, how does he reload?

Mallozzi says the cells recharge over time. Think about those watches that charge from movement. It could also be solar power. Or it could be a material like Naquadah, and it just has to produce usable energy from a block of solid material, which takes time.

You know, all I saw was a lame excuse to not have to develop and build a small cache of new prop guns. That's all I was seeing.

But don't think I don't approve. It's very evident in this new season that a lot of cost cutting actions are being taken to keep the show afloat. And showing that Ronan got the gun from the Travellers is logical and understandable. Despite this last statement making sense, it was still a ploy to reuse old props.

Actually, it is the only explanation that makes sense. While the gun may be based off of Lantean tech, the physical design doesn't appear Lantean. That leaves only one known race who could've built an energy weapon for Ronon to find, the Olesians. And it wouldn't make sense for Ronon to get a weapon from their world. So it had to be a new race.

Mitchell82
October 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM

Wow you really want to find any excuse to bash this show don't you. All the theories I have heard about the reload makes sense I mean she used a hell of alot of power to burn through that door.

sparky
October 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM

You may well be correct... however, from memory the only copy of Ronan's gun I've seen is the one carried by Ronan so unless they bulk ordered the prop they would have had to spend more money making the extra props.

I would also point out that there are plenty of other guns that have been used in SG-1 and Atlantis that could be re-used with a different colour or CG firing effect.

Don't get me wrong I think cynicism is ok in moderation but I'm not sure how justified it is in this case.

rosey_angel
October 27th, 2007, 10:10 PM
i'd been thinking this, too, and you guys make a lot of sense; it would take a lot of energy for the gun to blast through the door, and it might have been much much older than ronons. and he could have got it from the ppl left on a planet, or during a trade.

also with ronon and recharging, he has heaps of knives on him, maybe he has a few of those ammo balls or whatever they were with him, too

Xaeden
October 27th, 2007, 10:12 PM
We've seen Ronon replace the power cell before and on Joe's blog he said it recharges itself. So he probably has two power cells and once one runs out of power he switches to the other and when that runs out of the power the first is recharged enough so he can keep shooting. How exactly such a device can recharge itself I don't know.

rosey_angel
October 27th, 2007, 10:21 PM
We've seen Ronon replace the power cell before .

when was this? i don't recall

p-pos
October 27th, 2007, 11:41 PM
maybe ronon's gun is not a travellers gun and they just trade or pick up some on a planet could explain why they have an older version that needs to be reloaded.

i have never even heard ronon say his gun was running low and he doesn't have a back up gun just knives.

SG13-NightOps
October 28th, 2007, 01:25 AM
We've seen Ronon replace the power cell before and on Joe's blog he said it recharges itself. So he probably has two power cells and once one runs out of power he switches to the other and when that runs out of the power the first is recharged enough so he can keep shooting. How exactly such a device can recharge itself I don't know.

Information that needs to make it into the show if they are actually going to OPEN that can of worms. Not everyone reads Joe's blog (I do, but I have been lazy recently), and so a great deal of non readers are going to be sat there thinking WTF? :ronananime25:

P-90_177
October 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Information that needs to make it into the show if they are actually going to OPEN that can of worms. Not everyone reads Joe's blog (I do, but I have been lazy recently), and so a great deal of non readers are going to be sat there thinking WTF? :ronananime25:

well it doesn't HAVE o be addressed. just look at the whole 3 shots from a zat plot hole that was never properly dealt with.

SG13-NightOps
October 28th, 2007, 02:39 AM
well it doesn't HAVE o be addressed. just look at the whole 3 shots from a zat plot hole that was never properly dealt with.

You are absolutely correct.. But it really does encourage a weeks rest from the forum. ;)

Anubis-
October 28th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Season 2. episode 7. litte bit over 5 minutes from begin.

jds1982
October 28th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Hmm maybe this thread should be merged with this one http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=7269459#post7269459

Azriel
October 28th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Indeed, it was Season 2, episode was called Instinct. They are in the tavern talking about the "creature" in the woods which they believe to be a Wraith and Ronan reloads his gun with an energy cell.

Anubis-
October 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM
btw remember Larrin must have used max power setting to burn a hole in that blast door (with several shots) which explains why the gun was drained so quickly

I'm wondering, why that is possible? Asgard got antiblast-technology, whitch prevent you making shot inside ship (like SG-1, season 3), why Ancients did not have? Why are able shoot inside Aurora-class ship?

Azriel
October 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I'm wondering, why that is possible? Asgard got antiblast-technology, whitch prevent you making shot inside ship (like SG-1, season 3), why Ancients did not have? Why are able shoot inside Aurora-class ship?

Indeed, especially as she was shooting through the access door to the weapons control room - would've thought that that particular door would've been deliberately resistant to forms of particle weapons.

wise one
October 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM

but then if in a war like the ancients, why let the wraith aboard, shouldnt they have some sort of wraith detecters and stops them with force fields or something.

and shouldnt the ancients biult a program that didnt allow their own weapon firing agaisnt them like that drone

Anubis-
October 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM
but then if in a war like the ancients, why let the wraith aboard, shouldnt they have some sort of wraith detecters and stops them with force fields or something.

and shouldnt the ancients biult a program that didnt allow their own weapon firing agaisnt them like that drone

There can be somekind other bomb. Like sunday. Other accident etc.

And shield, detecters could be damaged

SoulReaver
October 28th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I'm wondering, why that is possible? Asgard got antiblast-technology, whitch prevent you making shot inside ship (like SG-1, season 3), why Ancients did not have? Why are able shoot inside Aurora-class ship?t'was an old ship - like, thousands of years old with hardly any maintenance (not by lantean engineers anyway). perhaps the energy-dampener tech or whatever wasn't working either
a fully functional ship wouldn't have deadly radiation leaking all over the place
heck maybe even a hatak might've been able to take on that ship

edit> or perhaps the energy dampeners aren't designed to prevent handheld weapons-fire (in case they're needed if the enemy boards the ship)

Anubis-
October 28th, 2007, 10:25 AM
t'was an old ship - like, thousands of years old with hardly any maintenance (not by lantean engineers anyway). perhaps the energy-dampener tech or whatever wasn't working either
a fully functional ship wouldn't have deadly radiation leaking all over the place
heck maybe even a hatak might've been able to take on that ship

edit> or perhaps the energy dampeners aren't designed to prevent handheld weapons-fire (in case they're needed if the enemy boards the ship)

Those lantian thousand years old technology got better weapon and shields than Asgard nowdays, there must be knowledge about antiblast-technology.

SoulReaver
October 28th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Those lantian thousand years old technology got better weapon and shields than Asgard nowdays1) we don't even know that, especially the shields, since there never was a good comparison between the two and 2) those lantean ships were never properly maintained during all those years (just look at the state of the interior of those ships, looked like the inside of a jawa sandcrawler -)

Anubis-
October 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
1) we don't even know that, especially the shields, since there never was a good comparison between the two and 2) those lantean ships were never properly maintained during all those years (just look at the state of the interior of those ships, looked like the inside of a jawa sandcrawler -)

We can assume things, but as you say, we do not got facts about it. But I strongly believe that, what I write before.

garhkal
October 28th, 2007, 02:07 PM
That leaves only one known race who could've built an energy weapon for Ronon to find, the Olesians.

Who are these Olesians??

PG15
October 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Weren't they the guys from "Condemned"?

sparky
October 28th, 2007, 04:23 PM
As far as Asgard anti-blast technology goes, it would make sense for it to be installed on Asgard ships as they seem only to be crewed by a single Asgard. So preventing intruders from having explosives etc reduces the sabotage risk and (slightly) shifts the balance back towards the physically weak Asgard.

WingedPegasus
October 28th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Not really. Did you see all those special effects? Not cheap.

FallenAngelII
October 29th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Wow you really want to find any excuse to bash this show don't you. All the theories I have heard about the reload makes sense I mean she used a hell of alot of power to burn through that door.
Plot hole. As far as we know, Ronon's gun only has two settings:
Stun and Kill. Also, John riddled that one Wraith tons of shots and he still survived. Ronon usually doesn't need to hit them more than three times before they die.

techjunkie
October 29th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Plot hole. As far as we know, Ronon's gun only has two settings:
Stun and Kill. Also, John riddled that one Wraith tons of shots and he still survived. Ronon usually doesn't need to hit them more than three times before they die.

**Banging head on desk**

Plot hole, yes. Arguable, yes. Waste of time, yes.

So I add to the mess:

John took more shots, because he is less skilled with that particular weapon to get the same desired effect.
It's also entirely possible that they are not the exact same guns, although I like the idea of a Traveler origin.
As for the supply of ammunition / energy a simpler writers ploy might indeed be very simple. "I recharge them from DHD's... see - I just plug in Lantean plug A into Lantean slot B, and wait 15 minutes."

or less plausibly
Self regenerating weapons have been in movies and television for decades. You know what I mean... wink wink, nudge nudge six-shooters firing 31 times without reloading? It's called "suspension of disbelief", or in the case of the 31-shot six shooter "holy cr4p, the writers never thought that through and hoped we'd not notice it of disbelief"
We don't know if his gun has really any settings at all. We're just guessing. Tech Junkie

Dalario
October 29th, 2007, 07:04 PM
We don't know if his gun has really any settings at all. We're just guessing.[/LIST]

That would make sense... Maybe he only got a power level setting switch.... power level 1 only hurt, power level 2 stun, power level 3 kill, power level 4 blast through door...

John didn't know about those setting, so he was shooting on power level 1 or 2...

Or...

When the lovely lady blasted the door she wasted a lot of power, so the shots on the wraith were weaker...

Oh, and for the origin of the gun, they said that they were trading from time to time, maybe they traded a gun for food (If I was eating their food, I would trade all my guns for real food) or like other said... it's from one of the abandoned guys... hell, maybe they traded with Ronon's planet once and that's where they got the guns... *shrug*

Overture
October 29th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Maybe Ronon found himself on board a Traveler ship for whatever reason, stranded without weapons, and stole a prototype version of the gun that regenerates more efficiently, thus contributing to the lack of trust the Travelers have in other species in the universe!

Hey, it's as plausible as any other theory, right?

Redhooks
October 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM
JM did say that on his blog about the recharging and somewhere in the four or five threads :rolleyes: started about Ronon's (not Ronan!) gun or energy pistol (as it was called on the TV Guide InFANity SGA special) there is a drawing of it that shows three settings IIRC. About the recharging power cell, I think that is why Sheppard pulled out the power cell to see if it was recharging just before he crept up behind the Wraith who had just drained most of Larrin's life out of her.

Ltcolshepjumper
October 30th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Maybe Ronon found himself on board a Traveler ship for whatever reason, stranded without weapons, and stole a prototype version of the gun that regenerates more efficiently, thus contributing to the lack of trust the Travelers have in other species in the universe!

Hey, it's as plausible as any other theory, right?

Why would a prototype recharge more efficiently?

Overture
October 31st, 2007, 06:04 AM
Why would a prototype recharge more efficiently?

Erm....because it's a prototype?

People make prototype weapons because they're supposed to be an engineering test-version of the latest and greatest features, which could include, for example, greater firepower, greater range, or better recharging efficiency. Such is the nature of prototypes.

Edit: Perhaps you thought I meant prototype of the same version they now use. I meant a prototype version that was to supercede their current weapons, and they since haven't re-created the newer prototype. My bad, shouldn't have assumed.

Alipeeps
October 31st, 2007, 04:35 PM
maybe ronon's gun is not a travellers gun and they just trade or pick up some on a planet could explain why they have an older version that needs to be reloaded.

Interesting to note, from the script pages available to download from MGM's official SGA website:

Sheppard's line, "My friend's got a gun just like this. I always wondered where he got it," was originally written as, "I have a friend who has one just like this. I always wondered where he got it. Must've taken it off one of your people."

I wonder if they dropped/changed this line as a deliberate decision to have Ronon not be aware of the existence of the Travelers... after all, in the final scene Ronon seemed never to have heard before of this race that live mostly on ships and if he'd gotten his gun from one of the Travelers, surely he would make the connection when Sheppard told them about the Travelers (and mentioned they had guns like Ronon's)..?

Overture
October 31st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Interesting to note, from the script pages available to download from MGM's official SGA website:

Sheppard's line, "My friend's got a gun just like this. I always wondered where he got it," was originally written as, "I have a friend who has one just like this. I always wondered where he got it. Must've taken it off one of your people."

I wonder if they dropped/changed this line as a deliberate decision to have Ronon not be aware of the existence of the Travelers... after all, in the final scene Ronon seemed never to have heard before of this race that live mostly on ships and if he'd gotten his gun from one of the Travelers, surely he would make the connection when Sheppard told them about the Travelers (and mentioned they had guns like Ronon's)..?

You know, the same thought went through my head when I was watching it; why didn't Ronon mention that he recognized them?

Redhooks
October 31st, 2007, 06:00 PM
You know, the same thought went through my head when I was watching it; why didn't Ronon mention that he recognized them?
Maybe Sheppard hadn't told him yet about them having the same type of guns as he does? A writing error/omission in my opinion and not the only one in the episode. I've noticed that a lot of info we have about tech stuff comes out in other ways than in the episode itself. Heck, would we know that the Travelers scavange stuff from culled worlds if JM or PM hadn't said so in some interviews? No, because that kind of stuff rarely comes out in an SGA episode because of the writers they have. Also, because they have a group of writers working on a number of episodes at the same time, we rarely get to see the aftermath of a previous episode unless it is a known two-parter. That is the biggest weakness to me with the writing on SGA. Of course, I think a show that has a lot of story links running through most, if not all, episodes creating an overall story-arc throughout at least part of a season normally leads to something more enjoyable to see.

Overture
October 31st, 2007, 06:58 PM
Maybe Sheppard hadn't told him yet about them having the same type of guns as he does? A writing error/omission in my opinion and not the only one in the episode. I've noticed that a lot of info we have about tech stuff comes out in other ways than in the episode itself. Heck, would we know that the Travelers scavange stuff from culled worlds if JM or PM hadn't said so in some interviews? No, because that kind of stuff rarely comes out in an SGA episode because of the writers they have. Also, because they have a group of writers working on a number of episodes at the same time, we rarely get to see the aftermath of a previous episode unless it is a known two-parter. That is the biggest weakness to me with the writing on SGA. Of course, I think a show that has a lot of story links running through most, if not all, episodes creating an overall story-arc throughout at least part of a season normally leads to something more enjoyable to see.

True true. I always liked it when Minor details from previous episodes carried through as a thread. The large ones always make it through, i.e. serious plot points, but it seems this season is going to be filled with "Oh, I remember this problem from SG1" threads, you know, large references, not the little ones that make them feel more like a group of people living together, and less like a group of actors meeting per-episode.

beale947
November 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
The travellers left some of their own people on planets, so maybe he came across one of those 'colony's' and got the gun from them.

letterdisser
November 10th, 2007, 09:10 AM
The travellers left some of their own people on planets, so maybe he came across one of those 'colony's' and got the gun from them.
Yes, but what about the munition? After 3 years it should be empty. Or is the energymagazine able to charge his own power? So he neednĀ“t to reload it?

gopher65
November 10th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I know what you mean about little references. I've been rewatching ST:DS9 lately and I just watched seasons 3 and 4. There were a bunch of references to them switching from a 3 shift to a 4 shift rotation and a couple other similar minor matters. Just little things. Even though they were pointless references from a plot standpoint, it helped to add some life to the show. It made it feel like things were going on even when the camera wasn't on.

I like little background references like that, not blatantly obvious "yeah, we did that in SG-1 season 4 episode 16" references. Those annoy me.

e1atlantis
November 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Could Ronon have gotten a modified version of the gun? They were trying to reverse engineer a system to let any human fly a Lantean warship, maybe they found a way to make their guns with unlimited ammo...in which case, why didnt the lovely lady have the same gun?
Maybe Ronon stole the prototype.

Overture
November 12th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Could Ronon have gotten a modified version of the gun? They were trying to reverse engineer a system to let any human fly a Lantean warship, maybe they found a way to make their guns with unlimited ammo...in which case, why didnt the lovely lady have the same gun?
Maybe Ronon stole the prototype.

YOu know, I said exactly the same thing on Page 2 of this thread. Or was it page 1?

:ronan:

Nope, page 2. :)

e1atlantis
November 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM
YOu know, I said exactly the same thing on Page 2 of this thread. Or was it page 1?

:ronan:

Nope, page 2. :)

Sorry - didnt see that.

Overture
November 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Sorry - didnt see that.

Dude, don't be sorry! It's nice to have consensus! Besides, someone questioned me about it, I'm glad I'm not the only one who came to that possible theory.

:sheppard:

Ancavge
November 14th, 2007, 01:34 PM
So is it now a fact that ronon reloaded his gun? and/or that it recharged over time by movement or whatever. Someone said that ronon reloaded his gun in "instinct" season 2, did that really happened in that episiode. Well in episiode "Common Ground" Season 3 where it seem ronon reloaded his gun or swiched power cell ammo. And ronon's gun recharging by movement if that so, it is like the faraday flashlight that you shake and it had like 5 mins of power.

wolcano
November 23rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
If I looked right gun seem to have a energy magazine but I can not be sertain. but if it is so when ronon reloads it

Skydiver
December 16th, 2007, 08:22 AM
and the topic is ronan's gun, not other posters

randomguy
December 16th, 2007, 02:20 PM
not any more

Skydiver
December 16th, 2007, 05:05 PM
If you're not willing to keep this thread on topic, you won't be allowed to post, so please, back to ronon's gun, or keep it to yourself

randomguy
December 16th, 2007, 09:06 PM
oops, moderator, my bad...

so ya, nice gun

Spimman
April 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM
With all of these cool weapons we have seen through SG-1 and Atlantis up to this point, I get confused on why most people still use old-school bullets...but maybe that's just me.

shepard137
May 6th, 2008, 08:32 PM
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4002/weaponrononsblasterabi5wn9.png
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3971/blasterriflejb0ac6.png

Redhooks
May 6th, 2008, 10:46 PM
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4002/weaponrononsblasterabi5wn9.png
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3971/blasterriflejb0ac6.png
First off, you need to either put the images under a spoiler tag or use a thumbnail version of the images because they are stretching out the page and that is against the rules on this forum.

Nice pics of Ronon's/Travelers' energy pistols. Where did they come from? I have never seen a rifle version of the pistol before.

Orion25
September 22nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Just a thought of how the weapon reached to Ronon's hand. It was possible he might have crossed paths with a fellow runner who was a Traveler in some planet (just like when he met Ford) and for some unforeseen circumstances, this Traveler could have been dying from injuries and gave Ronon his weapon so he'd an edge in surviving the game. The other theories on board are good possibilities too. I hope they'll explore more the origin of the weapon. It would have been interesting if we have scenes where Ronon was trying to find materials compatible for his weapon to make recharging possible.