This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only 20 episodes?

Are there only 20 episodes this season (season 8)or are there only 17 listed on gateworld at the mo cos further information hasn't been released?

Love and peace.

I remember reading at Gateworld that there will only be 20 episodes this time due to money-reasons. It is a bit expensive for the SciFi-Channel to buy both Atlantis and SG-1 so they reduced the number to 20 episodes each.
    Correct me if I am wrong...
    www.savestargatesg-1.com

Comment

The other speculation is that the reduced schedual is because of the expensive of building the Atlantis sets.

Comment

I had thought that the reduced number was attributed to the possible last season. But I would rather think it was due to money concerns. I very much hope for another season.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominique
          Are there only 20 episodes this season (season 8)or are there only 17 listed on gateworld at the mo cos further information hasn't been released?

Love and peace.
          My guess is that instead of having Atlantis have a short first season, they decided to ballance out SG-1 Season 8 & SG:A Season1, so both seasons have 20 episodes.

Comment

I think they're still building to have a film.

Sy~
            A lady came up to me on the street and pointed to my sued jacket...
            "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" She sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone...
            "I diddnt know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you to!"

Sy~

Comment

If they shortened the season for both of them to 20 episodes, then I think it makes it obvious that I was right about the purpose of SG: Atlantis. As stated from the thread I started a couple days ago, I believe that Atlantis was invented so that viewers could have two hours of Stargate a week.

If SG-1 were truly ending this season and SG: Atlantis was invented to take over after SG-1 stopped production then I would think that they would have shortened SG-1 much more and made SG: Atlantis the standard 22 episode season. Also, I would think they would have shortened SG-1 further if there was to be a film directly after this season.

A much more likely reason is that if it is because of production costs for a SG film, then hopefully they are preparing for a film after a ninth or tenth season ... in which case, the 20 season episodes might become standard till the end of SG-1.

Of course, there is always a chance that there won't be a ninth season or simply a short ninth season for SG-1 from which a point will made for the movie to continue and bring SG-1 to a closing. In which case, of course, I would be proven wrong with my assumption that SG: Atlantis was to give the viewer a second hour of Stargate. But once again the storylines are different enough that I think the purpose of Atlantis is to accompany SG-1 and not to replace it.

Comment

I'm all up for believing TPTB, especially since JM repeated this only a few days ago, that they do not know if season eight is the last season. They've functioned so much on the basis that the current season (be it sixth or seventh or eighth) is their last that they aren't about the make those kinds of plans for two more years and or a movie....

Comment

I can't get as enthused about a Stargate SG-1 feature film after the X-Files debacle. The Star Trek films were hit and miss. I'd rather have RDA say I'll commit to do one more season, then we're done.
                  Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                  O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                  O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel_Thunder
                    If they shortened the season for both of them to 20 episodes, then I think it makes it obvious that I was right about the purpose of SG: Atlantis. As stated from the thread I started a couple days ago, I believe that Atlantis was invented so that viewers could have two hours of Stargate a week.
                    I hate to shoot your theory to pieces, but the original plan was to end SG-1, do a movie, then do Atlantis - it's most deffinately a replacement for SG-1. The only reason why both shows are on at the same time is becuase SCIFI wanted an 8th season, so the 2nd movie was pushed back with the script used for the Season 7 finale.

If SG-1 were truly ending this season and SG: Atlantis was invented to take over after SG-1 stopped production then I would think that they would have shortened SG-1 much more and made SG: Atlantis the standard 22 episode season. Also, I would think they would have shortened SG-1 further if there was to be a film directly after this season.
                    Maybe they just wanted both seasons to be the same length.

A much more likely reason is that if it is because of production costs for a SG film, then hopefully they are preparing for a film after a ninth or tenth season ... in which case, the 20 season episodes might become standard till the end of SG-1.
                    I doubt it. When Star Trek: Deep Space Nine premiered durring Star Trek: The Next Generation's 6th season, DS9 had a 20 episode 1st season while TNG had a 26 episode 6th season. It's just a budget thing, due to set construction and series development.

Of course, there is always a chance that there won't be a ninth season or simply a short ninth season for SG-1 from which a point will made for the movie to continue and bring SG-1 to a closing. In which case, of course, I would be proven wrong with my assumption that SG: Atlantis was to give the viewer a second hour of Stargate. But once again the storylines are different enough that I think the purpose of Atlantis is to accompany SG-1 and not to replace it.
                    There's no need to have a short 8th or 9th season to do a movie. Star Trek: The Next Generation had a full 26 episode final season which ended just 4 months before the movie Star Trek: Generations was released.

Comment

Technically you didn't shoot my theory to peaces. The ORIGINAL plan may have been such, but that is not to say that there isn't a newer plan that makes more sense. As I've stated in the other thread, I don't believe that Stargate Atlantis could stand on it's own legs for more than a season or two after Stargate SG-1 is no more (at least not without a replacement for SG-1). Refer back for more details. Either way, this original plan sounds more like wishful thinking than reality on the part of the producers. I simply can't see how in the next 10 episodes that they would be able to form some sort of worthy end for SG-1 unless of course it is a rush job (even with a long detailed movie). So I'm not saying it couldn't be done, it is just that if the eighth season really is the end before a movie, the end for SG-1 probably won't be as thorough as it probably should be.

As for both seasons being the same length, I just don’t see such mathematical perfection in show business. Stories are laid out as art, not math. So I don’t believe the chances lie in favor for Stargate SG-1 ending this season for that fact alone.

In the third section you analyzed, I was trying to stress that there will more than likely BE a ninth or tenth season - the statement that the 20 show season would become standard was only a possibility.

The reason why I listed a short ninth season (or possible short tenth) is because as I stated above, I don’t see any other way it could end so soon unless of course the end for SG-1 isn’t as clearly thought out as it probably should be. In other words, if it ends this season, I foresee a crappy ending. If they at least made half a ninth season, then I could possibly see a worthy and well covered ending with a movie afterwards. The other minimum would be for the show to end at the end of a full ninth season.

Comment

atlantis is 22 eps right? well if s8 is the last season, atlantis will get more eps wen sg1s finished.

would be nice to have a film later on tho, a film that ends the goa'uld war!
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

no, i'm pretty sure atlantis was ordered 20 also

Comment

Originally posted by walter_MacChevron
                            no, i'm pretty sure atlantis was ordered 20 also
                            It was...both SG-1 and Atlantis were only ordered 20 episodes this season. I suspect that if this is truely the last season for SG-1, Atlantis will receive an order for 22 episodes. And everything will return to normal...

Ace
                            "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Steel_Thunder
                              Technically you didn't shoot my theory to peaces. The ORIGINAL plan may have been such, but that is not to say that there isn't a newer plan that makes more sense.
                              Hmm...

As I've stated in the other thread, I don't believe that Stargate Atlantis could stand on it's own legs for more than a season or two after Stargate SG-1 is no more (at least not without a replacement for SG-1).
                              This just doesn't make sense to me. Atlantis is a replacement series, it's not ment to be a "side show" to SG-1. It is the successor to SG-1. I don't understand why you're in denial of this.

Refer back for more details. Either way, this original plan sounds more like wishful thinking than reality on the part of the producers.
                              Whut's wrong with thinking big? Back in Season 1, did you think Stargate would be where it is now? Did you know they had the entire franchise planned out as early as before SG-1's series premiere hit the TV screens?

I simply can't see how in the next 10 episodes that they would be able to form some sort of worthy end for SG-1 unless of course it is a rush job (even with a long detailed movie).
                              Star Trek: Deep Space Nine wrapped up in 10 episodes. Why can't SG-1?

So I'm not saying it couldn't be done, it is just that if the eighth season really is the end before a movie, the end for SG-1 probably won't be as thorough as it probably should be.
                              The ending shouldn't be thorough if there's going to be a movie.

As for both seasons being the same length, I just don’t see such mathematical perfection in show business. Stories are laid out as art, not math. So I don’t believe the chances lie in favor for Stargate SG-1 ending this season for that fact alone.
                              Actually, TV is about money, not art, unfortunately. However, that doesn't stop creative TV producers from giving us shows like Stargate SG-1. MGM or SCIFI probably figured that instead of giving SG-1 a full season and Atlantis a short season, that fans would appreciated having a long SG-1 8th Season and SG:A 1st Season via balancing out the episode order. If it were me, I'd do the same.

In the third section you analyzed, I was trying to stress that there will more than likely BE a ninth or tenth season - the statement that the 20 show season would become standard was only a possibility.
                              It's very unlikely that there will be a 9th season, and I won't believe that there will be a 10th season untill SCIFI or MGM says so. RDA's been wanting to leave the show and retire from acting to spend more time with his daughter. He really expected Season 6 to be the end of the show. Why do you think we have O'Neill-lite episodes in Season 7 and General O'Neill in Season 8? If SG-1 goes for Season 9, one of two things will happen - either O'Niell is reduced to a Hammond-type role (in terms of stories, not his character's rank) with Amanda Tapping as the star of SG-1, or RDA leaves the show and makes guest appearances. I think the show could pull off Season 9 with 5 or so heavy RDA episodes, but Season 10... that'd just be pushing it. I'd rather stick with Atlantis then watch SG-1 go down the drane like The X Files did.

The reason why I listed a short ninth season (or possible short tenth) is because as I stated above, I don’t see any other way it could end so soon unless of course the end for SG-1 isn’t as clearly thought out as it probably should be.
                              I'm sorry, but it shouldn't take a year or two to wrap up a TV show, no matter how complicated. Seasons 5-7 were all thought to be the last. With Season 8, it's possible it's the last season too. 10 episodes should be plenty of time to wrap up a sci-fi show.

In other words, if it ends this season, I foresee a crappy ending.
                              I don't think you're giving the producers enough credit.

If they at least made half a ninth season, then I could possibly see a worthy and well covered ending with a movie afterwards. The other minimum would be for the show to end at the end of a full ninth season.
                              I just don't get it... it doesn't take a YEAR to wrap up a TV show. I've seen lots of shows have to wrap up in 5 or less episodes. DS9 got lucky in that they new Season 7 was it, so they had a 10-episode arc to end the show. With SG-1, I suspect they'll do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X