PDA

View Full Version : West

jds1982
October 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM
A thread for all your various theories about Claire's stalker boyfriend. A place to posit whether he's good, evil, or simply creepy. Also to talk about whether you hate or like him (apparently he's tv guides favorite new character so apparently someone likes him).

I honestly don't care for him, and I think his introduction makes Claire look like an idiot, however I don't think he's evil, merely creepy or needy, but time will tell I suppose.

eri-chan
October 24th, 2007, 07:03 PM
i agree. he doesnt seem evil, just creepy, emo and pushy. lol he became the favourite new character? then what about monica? she's leagues ahead of him in the awesomeness race.

Trek_Girl42
October 24th, 2007, 11:44 PM
jds1982, got a link to where tv guide says that he's their favourite new character, because that's just.....

I obviously don't like him one bit, he's stalkerish, creepy, Claire just had to fall for the "trust me" routine, add in the platter of not-so-fine fromage he's serving up and.....yuck. He needs to go. Soon.

And I do think that he's evil.

Claire needs a friend, like Zach was, not a nauseating boyfriend.

MarshAngel
October 25th, 2007, 03:55 AM
West is a creepy, pushy little turd. I doubt he's evil but if the goal was for him to be annoying, he's a huge success. Guys who just can't take no for answer disturb me.

Buddhawasanancient
October 25th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Not a West fan either. I think it's hilarious how EVERYONE (everyone on the few message boards I visit at least) hates West. It's either REALLY GOOD casting, or REALLY BAD casting, depending on whether he turns out to be evil or not. He could be the character you love to hate, or just a jerk...

jds1982
October 25th, 2007, 06:53 AM
http://community.tvguide.com/blog/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Cheers-38-Jeers/800058397

Jeers: Heroes Gets Lost by Adding Many Others

Jeers to Heroes for getting Lost with too many new characters. Like the castaway drama, NBC’s superpowered smash has hit a bit of a sophomore slump by bringing in a plethora of "Others" and not giving us enough of our old favorites like Niki, Ando and Hiro (where were they this week?). True, some of the new heroes are cool — I'm especially fond of Claire's high-flying new boyfriend, West. But will Alejandro and Maya ever reach the U.S. border? How long will Micah bunk with his Katrina-surviving relatives? And what's happened to the Irish gang Peter got mixed up with? All this, and Kristen Bell’s Elle hasn’t even appeared yet!

Phenix
October 25th, 2007, 08:38 AM
http://community.tvguide.com/blog/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Cheers-38-Jeers/800058397

Jeers: Heroes Gets Lost by Adding Many Others

Jeers to Heroes for getting Lost with too many new characters. Like the castaway drama, NBC’s superpowered smash has hit a bit of a sophomore slump by bringing in a plethora of "Others" and not giving us enough of our old favorites like Niki, Ando and Hiro (where were they this week?). True, some of the new heroes are cool — I'm especially fond of Claire's high-flying new boyfriend, West. But will Alejandro and Maya ever reach the U.S. border? How long will Micah bunk with his Katrina-surviving relatives? And what's happened to the Irish gang Peter got mixed up with? All this, and Kristen Bell’s Elle hasn’t even appeared yet!

I agree with those sentiments. If Peter can not get his memories back then I'm going to be pissed. Peter was the main reason I watched the show. I am a big fan of empathetic characters.

Monica is an alright addition but I could really care less about her character. How exactly does she move the story forward other than confirming that the people in the photo are indeed their relatives. That is my guess at least. And that puts the Peter/Nikki relationship into a new disturbing light.

West, he is a freak and I think he is a plant. I don't get the entire teen rebellion arc. Does Claire not realize that she is being hunted? She goes on about how she just wants to be normal but yet wants to jump from buildings still. Thats not exactly normal. And honestly how does HRG not show her the picture. I'm sure its the same old "I was just trying to protect you" routine.

And did I mention that I don't like West? If he is not plant then his character is just a waste of time. Or maybe its a way to show that Claire is growing up and realizes that she can not be seen w/ a guy who is being monitored by the company.

Or are the comic books canon? That cyber girl destroyed the satellite in the comics.

s09119
October 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I actually like West. Yes, he can be kind of stalkerish... but then, most teenagers are at one point or another. And, I mean, cut him some slack;

- He's just met an extremely attractive girl that he can relate to.
- He finally has someone to connect with and talk to about his powers.
- He seems to be a social outcast, probably because his powers have given him an outsider's view on the world.

So I like him. He can be a little creepy at times, but for the most part I hope he stays for a while.

jds1982
October 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I actually like West. Yes, he can be kind of stalkerish... but then, most teenagers are at one point or another. And, I mean, cut him some slack;

- He seems to be a social outcast, probably because his powers have given him an outsider's view on the world.

So I like him. He can be a little creepy at times, but for the most part I hope he stays for a while.

Alright I'll give you those points. My biggest issue with him is actually an issue with Claire, he was a total jerk to her and she forgives him just because he can fly. It should have at least taken a little while for her to forgive him, or at least an apology.

Mattathias2.0
October 25th, 2007, 05:09 PM

I did not think of it this way.

IcyNeko
October 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM
If the Butler house had a skylight above the bathroom, West would be the scumbag that would be there night after night, watching Claire shower. There's something unright about that kid. He needs to get tazed with more frequency.

s09119
October 26th, 2007, 11:01 AM
If the Butler house had a skylight above the bathroom, West would be the scumbag that would be there night after night, watching Claire shower. There's something unright about that kid. He needs to get tazed with more frequency.

He only spied on her once, and that was just because he knew there was something different about her but didn't know what.

Notice how, since he's figured it out, the stalkerness has gone down?

MarshAngel
October 26th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Well he doesn't have to stalk her now that she's with him willingly but I wouldn't surprised if they broke up and she found him peeping through her window. He seems pretty determined to get what he wants. He's just too pushy for my taste. Doesn't seem the type to take a breakup well if it's not his idea.

the fifth man
October 27th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I still don't know what to really think of West, either way. Time will tell if he's good or evil.

Mattathias2.0
October 27th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I am going on the side of evil regarding him. I have my reasons for beliving as such.

the fifth man
October 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I am going on the side of evil regarding him. I have my reasons for beliving as such.

Feel like sharing some of those reasons? I'm just curious.

MartianManhunter
October 29th, 2007, 03:52 PM

I like him to (for all the reasons you've posted and others that I cant think of right now) and I think that he is exactly what Claire needs right now. Someone who's gonna help her discover her limits and who will catch her when she falls.

s09119
October 30th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I like him to (for all the reasons you've posted and others that I cant think of right now) and I think that he is exactly what Claire needs right now. Someone who's gonna help her discover her limits and who will catch her when she falls.

Or drop her so she falls... (bad joke made after "The Line").

Speaking of last night, for a second I was thinking Alright, they've gone too far..., but then I stopped. I went and dug and dug until I'd found my own high school handbook (haven't seen THAT in a while...) and checked the section on drinking. According to that, the punishment was (for drinking on school grounds) a one-week suspension and being kicked off any sports teams you were on for one semester.

So actually, I guess they didn't go as far as I'd thought they did. In fact, I've been wishing that Debbie got something like that since we met her... stuck up, arrogant, ______!

MarshAngel
October 30th, 2007, 10:01 AM
This past episode repeated something he alluded to earlier. West seems to believe having abilities makes him better than others and not subject to their rules...I suspect we're going to see more evidence of this in future episodes.

s09119
October 30th, 2007, 10:31 AM
This past episode repeated something he alluded to earlier. West seems to believe having abilities makes him better than others and not subject to their rules...I suspect we're going to see more evidence of this in future episodes.

Anyone know EXACTLY what West said? I remember him saying something about powers and normal people, but I can't remember it exactly...

nekoi
October 30th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I think he'll be evil.... Maybe a company agent?

drake122
October 30th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I don't think he's a mole or another evil force... just a stupid kid :(

MarshAngel
October 30th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Anyone know EXACTLY what West said? I remember him saying something about powers and normal people, but I can't remember it exactly...
The conversation went:

Claire: ....He told me I couldn't date until I was 21
West: So?
Claire: So I have to listen to my parents, Dont you?
West: Claire, I can fly. Kinda makes the whole parental guidance thing a non-issue

yadda yadda yadda

West: But if it's that important to you we'll figure out a way to get you on the team
Claire: That's impossible. Debbie Marshall does not deem me extraordinary enough
West: Oh that's ridiculous. You're a total babe and you have a power. By definition that makes you better than she is.

On it's own this conversation isn't exactly incriminating. Combined with his attitude and actions though, you begin to get the picture that to West, having an ability means being immune to rules others have to obey because they are robots.

Phenix
October 30th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Or drop her so she falls... (bad joke made after "The Line").

Speaking of last night, for a second I was thinking Alright, they've gone too far..., but then I stopped. I went and dug and dug until I'd found my own high school handbook (haven't seen THAT in a while...) and checked the section on drinking. According to that, the punishment was (for drinking on school grounds) a one-week suspension and being kicked off any sports teams you were on for one semester.

So actually, I guess they didn't go as far as I'd thought they did. In fact, I've been wishing that Debbie got something like that since we met her... stuck up, arrogant, ______!

I don't know how old you are or where you went to school but while I was in High School from 96-00 the punishment for drinking on the grounds was expulsion for up to a year and either a semester or year off of sports. I know of one girl who got away with this by bringing in expensive lawyers but another kid was gone for the year. The punishments for any alcohol or drug offense has only increased since I've been out.

In my area the cops would have also checked the other cheerleaders to see if they were drinking or had alcohol in their cups. The red or blue cups in the scene lead me to believe that the team was indulging in some alcohol. Maybe it was part of their hazing rituals. In any case they would have checked the rest of the team and Claire...

I wonder how no one noticed the blood splatter from a rib breaking through her chest. The blood that was on her chest should have shot through and splatter on the ground.

And were you picked on in school or something? Why would you ever want someone expelled? I don't care if its fictional or in real life. Expulsion from school can seriously damage a kids chances later in life with colleges and the like.

And yea I dislike West even more for suggesting this scheme. Claire needs to work through her teen angst and daddy issues.

s09119
October 30th, 2007, 12:21 PM
The conversation went:

Claire: ....He told me I couldn't date until I was 21
West: So?
Claire: So I have to listen to my parents, Dont you?
West: Claire, I can fly. Kinda makes the whole parental guidance thing a non-issue

yadda yadda yadda

West: But if it's that important to you we'll figure out a way to get you on the team
Claire: That's impossible. Debbie Marshall does not deem me extraordinary enough
West: Oh that's ridiculous. You're a total babe and you have a power. By definition that makes you better than she is.

On it's own this conversation isn't exactly incriminating. Combined with his attitude and actions though, you begin to get the picture that to West, having an ability means being immune to rules others have to obey because they are robots.

I think the first part was a joke on his part, basically saying, "Claire, I can just fly out my window if things get too bad for me at home".

As for the second part, he was trying to cheer her up, for Pete's sake! Debbie was a ____, and he was trying to show Claire all the positive things about herself (in this case her good looks and the fact that she was fortunate enough to be given this power).

I don't know how old you are or where you went to school but while I was in High School from 96-00 the punishment for drinking on the grounds was expulsion for up to a year and either a semester or year off of sports. I know of one girl who got away with this by bringing in expensive lawyers but another kid was gone for the year. The punishments for any alcohol or drug offense has only increased since I've been out.

In my area the cops would have also checked the other cheerleaders to see if they were drinking or had alcohol in their cups. The red or blue cups in the scene lead me to believe that the team was indulging in some alcohol. Maybe it was part of their hazing rituals. In any case they would have checked the rest of the team and Claire...

I wonder how no one noticed the blood splatter from a rib breaking through her chest. The blood that was on her chest should have shot through and splatter on the ground.

And were you picked on in school or something? Why would you ever want someone expelled? I don't care if its fictional or in real life. Expulsion from school can seriously damage a kids chances later in life with colleges and the like.

And yea I dislike West even more for suggesting this scheme. Claire needs to work through her teen angst and daddy issues.

Your school was that strict? Weird, but then again we had almost zero cases of reported drug or alcohol abuse in my high school, so that might explain the low punishment thing. *shrug*

And I said "...something like that...", I didn't mean I actually wanted her expelled (although, with behavior like that, she may well have deserved it...). She at the very least deserved a suspension for just being an all-around jerk to everyone she came into contact with, and the drinking multiplies that. Sorry I don't like people like that, maybe you do?

MarshAngel
October 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I think the first part was a joke on his part, basically saying, "Claire, I can just fly out my window if things get too bad for me at home".

As for the second part, he was trying to cheer her up, for Pete's sake! Debbie was a ____, and he was trying to show Claire all the positive things about herself (in this case her good looks and the fact that she was fortunate enough to be given this power).

Interesting that you don't recognize the difference between the ability to do something and the willingness to do it. Claire can jump out her window too, it doesn't make disobeying her parents a given. Any teen can defy their parents if they want to. It's a show of respect for their authority that they don't. West doesn't respect that authority because in his view the power to defy it means he's above that.

As a stand alone the second part isn't incriminating, as I already said. In combination with the first and previous behavior, it shows a pattern of behavior that i think will eventually get Claire in trouble.

s09119
October 30th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Interesting that you don't recognize the difference between the ability to do something and the willingness to do it. Claire can jump out her window too, it doesn't make disobeying her parents a given. Any teen can defy their parents if they want to. It's a show of respect for their authority that they don't. West doesn't respect that authority because in his view the power to defy it means he's above that.

As a stand alone the second part isn't incriminating, as I already said. In combination with the first and previous behavior, it shows a pattern of behavior that i think will eventually get Claire in trouble.

Peter has also shown that he doesn't really care for higher authority, as has Nathan and Mohinder (all of them have taken the law into their own hands or crossed it to further their own goals). Are you going to tell me they're all bad people, too?

jds1982
October 31st, 2007, 06:41 AM
Did anyone else find it weird that in last weeks episode West talked all about how he would never let Claire fall and that he doesn't want to see her hurt, and in this episode he drops her?

About the blood spatter, we've seen her blood get sucked back into her before so maybe that's what happened. Although my God did that scene look fake.

Hypochondriac
October 31st, 2007, 07:04 AM
To me it looks like West is evil/company agent. I going to laugh my head off if West really is evil and Claire discovers it's her fault HRG is dead.

I also hate HRG storyline. You can't hide from a company that has those many resources. Not to mention using cellphones to conspire with your agent on the inside. If you were the company wouldn't you bug Mohinder's phone and house. I sure wouldn't trust him

s09119
October 31st, 2007, 05:52 PM
The writers say that West's ideas might end up being "self-destructive" for Claire. That doesn't necessarily mean he's going to end up evil, but it could indicate that he and Noah will ultimately be forced to opposite sides of the Claire-based battle lines.

I think that's most likely because of how close Claire is to her father. If anything could make a really interesting showdown, it would be West and Noah ending up having to face one another for her affections. Plus, most (if not all) of what happens to Claire is tied somewhat to her father, so it wouldn't surprise me.