Critical Myth Review: Stargate: Atlantis 4.4: "Doppelganger"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critical Myth Review: Stargate: Atlantis 4.4: "Doppelganger"

This episode was billed as an homage to “Cold Lazarus”, and in some respects, that is a good description. There have been several re-tooled “SG-1” episodes during the course of this series, however, and that is not always a sign of weakness. Even if a concept is overly familiar, it can work again if applied to new characters and handled properly.

While the final showdown with the “dream predator” in this episode centers on Sheppard and McKay, the story itself highlights Dr. Keller. Jewel Staite is doing a capable job in what could be a thankless role, considering the popularity of Dr. Beckett. Dr. Keller is still very much an outsider in this episode, and she seems to be unsure of her ability to handle the challenges of Team Atlantis. That’s a nice way of incorporating the challenges faced by the actress into the role itself.

This episode also includes the death of Dr. Heightmeyer. I have to wonder if there was something else to the story behind her exit, because this seems like an unnecessary death, especially after so many other losses to the cast. Heightmeyer was only a recurring character, but she was useful, especially when the writers needed someone for the characters to confide in, as a form of exposition. The death was clearly designed to underscore the threat posed by the alien, but it came across as gratuitous.

Despite the action-packed final act (probably based on yet another network note demanding thrills over character development), most of the episode was character exploration. In fact, I would say that this episode was just as important as “Reunion” in that regard. The previous episode introduced Carter as the new authority for Team Atlantis; this time, she was dealing with the transition more organically. She may have had some answers to provide, but she didn’t come across as high-handed with her suggestions. This could be a good sign.

There’s also more grist for the Sheppard/Teyla mill. The third season episode “Sunday” hinted at movement on their attraction, and this would seem to confirm it. By “Stargate” standards, this is deep romance, so one might assume that they’ve been dancing around each other for quite some time. In any case, it would be nice to see something more than brief glimpses of relationships, given how long these characters have been struggling together.

In the end, this episode will not be the best episode of the season, but it managed to take a familiar concept and give it a relatively fresh spin. I’m not particularly pleased with how they chose to escalate the situation, but the writers may have been looking for a way to counter the “retread” vibe. The focus on Dr. Keller helped to make up for it, and the additional character development was more than welcome.

John Keegan
    Reprinted with permission
    Original source: c. Critical Myth, 2007
    All rights reserved
    Link: http://www.criticalmyth.com

personally I disagree, I thoguht it was an excellent episode from start to finishh, the best so far. While it did tred on the shep teyla thing it also opened the possibility for a shep keller thing with Ronans comment

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
      personally I disagree, I thoguht it was an excellent episode from start to finishh, the best so far. While it did tred on the shep teyla thing it also opened the possibility for a shep keller thing with Ronans comment
      I liked Reunion more but I felt that this was also a very strong episode. I really enjoy character development episodes especially episodes that develop secondary characters with out sacrificing the roles of the main characters.

I also enjoy episodes where Rodney's whining is minimized. Hopefully the introduction of Carter will allow for some balance with McKay. I really can not stand it when McKay cries about an impossible situation and its no surprise that I liked this episode since McKay was not whining and he actually faced his fears.

Comment

Originally posted by entil2001 View Post

This episode also includes the death of Dr. Heightmeyer. I have to wonder if there was something else to the story behind her exit, because this seems like an unnecessary death, especially after so many other losses to the cast. Heightmeyer was only a recurring character, but she was useful, especially when the writers needed someone for the characters to confide in, as a form of exposition. The death was clearly designed to underscore the threat posed by the alien, but it came across as gratuitous.
        I completely apathetic towards the character. It didn't seem all that significan when she died (to me anyway) and instead of everybody confiding in her it would help develope the relationships between the team if they turned to each other. Just think about the fact that SG-1 never featured a shrink.
        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

they did for an episode, when they thoguht Daniel was crazy

Comment

This was a very interesting episode. Except for the extra blood and guts they had with Dr. Keller's dream. I'm desperately hoping the series doesn't turn into a gory show...

Comment

Originally posted by MightiMidget View Post
              This was a very interesting episode. Except for the extra blood and guts they had with Dr. Keller's dream. I'm desperately hoping the series doesn't turn into a gory show...
              i think that may just be the writers taking advantage of the new, later, timeslot.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Actually, I'd call it a cross between Lockdown and Cold Lazarus because the entity jumped bodies and was evil. It was an interesting episode, but I don't think it did anything for Keller's character. Here we have a doctor who's uncertain in her abilities, and then she has a dream where she's incompetent. Doesn't exactly build up the character, IMHO. I think it was an excellent for Shep and Carter- everyone else, not so much.

Comment

I agree, great episode. I loved seeing evil Sheppard. I imagine Joe F. had some fun playing evil for a little while.

Comment

Working...
                  X