Reference to Hitchhiker's Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reference to Hitchhiker's Guide

I know this show was full of references to SG-1 (which made sense, considering the situation, IMHO).But did anybody else catch the reference to Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy in the opening scene? I really love that book, it's freakin' hilarious.

It's great when the writers "write up" like this. They really ought to do it more, after all, we are a sensitive and intelligent audience .

RIP Douglas Adams, we miss ya!

I did!

Comment

Originally posted by CptSneed View Post
      I did!
      Green for you!

Comment

can somebody fill the rest of us in?

Comment

Sheppard's walking through the jungle when McKay asks Shep if he knows how many Ancient gate addresses have no known description, and Shep says "42". In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 42 is "The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything."
          My 9-year old has heard the book on tape and he instantly got it.

Comment

I laughed when I heard it. Good times.
            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I did. *points at username* 42 is my favourite number, of course. And it's good to see that Shep has been well-educated.

Comment

Yep! I caught it, too! I loved hearing a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide in SGA!! And, somehow, I would imagine that Sheppard would be the logical one to make the reference. He seems like a Douglas Adams fan!
                If anyone HASN'T read HHGTTG, they really SHOULD. It's a great series!
                And then, if you can, try to get a copy of the original BBC radio broadcast of the story. It's worth any price!

I first heard HHGTTG on the radio and fell in love with it. The books came into my life later. I had to look for a long time to find it, but I now own the CD's of the original BBC radio show. Well worth the price!!

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                  I did. *points at username* 42 is my favourite number, of course. And it's good to see that Shep has been well-educated.
                  I didn't catch it, guess I need to rewatch the orriginal. The new one really made me sick.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by VastlySuperiorStuff View Post
                    I know this show was full of references to SG-1 (which made sense, considering the situation, IMHO).But did anybody else catch the reference to Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy in the opening scene? I really love that book, it's freakin' hilarious.

It's great when the writers "write up" like this. They really ought to do it more, after all, we are a sensitive and intelligent audience .

RIP Douglas Adams, we miss ya!
                    And here I thought I was the only one that caught that Yeah, i heard 42 and instantly thought that too.

Comment

Never even realized that, good catch.

: Green is Good.
                      sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Sheppard's walking through the jungle when McKay asks Shep if he knows how many Ancient gate addresses have no known description, and Shep says "42". In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 42 is "The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything."
                        LOL. It's been a while since I've seen it. I totally forgot about that. I'll have to watch it again.

Say hello to my little friend!!

Comment

Actually, It's the answer to the question of life the universe and everything. Sorry, I've been in a Hitchhiker phase lately, watching the movie over and over, listening to the radio show, read the book 3 times in the last week and counting... It's my favourite book. Needless to say, I got the joke. Thought it was awesome.

Comment

That was my favorite line amongst many others. I thought it interesting that Rodney didn't react. I've read that 42 derives from adding together the numerical value of a set of dice. Nice response to Einstein's "God does not play dice with the universe."

Comment

Originally posted by Susnn View Post
                              That was my favorite line amongst many others. I thought it interesting that Rodney didn't react. I've read that 42 derives from adding together the numerical value of a set of dice. Nice response to Einstein's "God does not play dice with the universe."
                              Actually, It's just a random number that Adams came up with, though that is an interesting theory... I don't think McKay would've liked the book, as it throws physics and other natural laws out the window...

Comment

Working...
                              X