Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should Sci-Fi decide on Season Five or not?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should Sci-Fi decide on Season Five or not?

First off, I don't think this should be under "Should their be a season 5..." because it's not just about season five, and it's not about whether they should continue its about how they should decide...but if its wrong, sorry!!

Anyway, I think they should change the way they decide to cancel shows. Because people watch tv with DVR all the time, my parents do it, and I am sure there are more to follow. I will do so too, soon, when I buy a EyeTV for my Mac. But how should they decide to cancel a show, like Atlantis?

I mean, lets say the actual ratings are out the roof -- people watch it like crazy. But they cancel it because of low ratings...why, you ask? Because no one watches it live! I can't catch it live until about midnight....and when I get my eyetv, I will watch it at my connivence. My parents watch at whenever they have time -- as with most DVR/TiVo fans....so how should this change?

If your customers change their policies, then the company should follow suite. But how can networks like Sci-Fi change this?

How?

Get their heads out of their asses, that's how!

Comment

Toss a coin for Head or Tails ???

Usually they base that kind of stuff on ratings, but since so many people tape or download the show, they should take more things in consideration, such as DVD sales and syndication success.

Comment

Originally posted by Caldwell's 2IC View Post
        Toss a coin for Head or Tails ???

Usually they base that kind of stuff on ratings, but since so many people tape or download the show, they should take more things in consideration, such as DVD sales and syndication success.
        Why exactly should they care how successful it is via other forms of distribution. It's MGM who gets the revenue from them. Sci-Fi only get advertiser fees from companies which advertise during the Stargate ad-breaks. Lower vieweing figures...less money to them!

Look at it another way:

You own a business, you decide to advertise on a billboard. Your only going to get new customers based on those who see it first hand. You don't care how the billboard company is doing or if it also advertises online etc. You will only get customers/work from those who get to see the specific billboard that you paid for. They don't see it = nothing new for you!

Sci-Fi have good reason not to care how it's doing everywhere else. They pay good money to help make Atlantis, so they only care about how it does on their channel. It's MGM who care about everything else becausae they are the only ones who make money from it. Say it does brilliant in China. Gets 100m viewers every week. Why would Skiffy care if it isn't being watched on their channel. It's MGM who would be making all the money from broadcasting rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
          Why exactly should they care how successful it is via other forms of distribution. It's MGM who gets the revenue from them. Sci-Fi only get advertiser fees from companies which advertise during the Stargate ad-breaks. Lower vieweing figures...less money to them!

Look at it another way:

You own a business, you decide to advertise on a billboard. Your only going to get new customers based on those who see it first hand. You don't care how the billboard company is doing or if it also advertises online etc. You will only get customers/work from those who get to see the specific billboard that you paid for. They don't see it = nothing new for you!

Sci-Fi have good reason not to care how it's doing everywhere else. They pay good money to help make Atlantis, so they only care about how it does on their channel. It's MGM who care about everything else becausae they are the only ones who make money from it. Say it does brilliant in China. Gets 100m viewers every week. Why would Skiffy care if it isn't being watched on their channel. It's MGM who would be making all the money from broadcasting rights.
          Mabey so, but they should consider other things like dvr whcih they are. But most likely they'll flip a coin.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

i think the easiest answer is for MGM and SciFi to make a financial arrangement. If the show is very profitable for MGM, but not as profitable for SciFi, then MGM could take over more of the production costs or add in some sort of compensation to scifi. It's worth it to MGM to keep the series in the public spotlight and still make a profit, and scifi would get to keep one of their top 3 ratings producing shows at a lower cost.

Comment

They don't really care who actually watches the show itself. Its all about the advertises paying them for commercial time.
              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                How?

Get their heads out of their asses, that's how!
                I agree with this statement.

Comment

They should come here and take a look at the fans feelings

Comment

That would be a bit silly considering we in no way represent the American general viewing audience. Yeah, it would probably secure us a season 5, but it would never happen lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                      They should come here and take a look at the fans feelings
                      Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                      That would be a bit silly considering we in no way represent the American general viewing audience. Yeah, it would probably secure us a season 5, but it would never happen lol.
                      They could care less how the fans feel. It's a business to them. So here is a perfect example...

Personal Decision..

Will Sci-fi renew SGA out of the goodness of their hearts and to make the fans happy?

Hell No!

Business Decision

Will Sci-fi renew SGA knowing they will lost 2 million viewers in key demographics that attract advertisers and could very well effect the entire network's ratings causing a loss in revenue if they don't?

Youbetcha!
                      Last edited by Briangate78; 20 October 2007, 09:43 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                        Mabey so, but they should consider other things like dvr whcih they are. But most likely they'll flip a coin.
                        Which is exactly what they will do!

As long as it's on their channel, then they'll count it. If it's on another form of distribution, they won't give a toss because they get no revenue from it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                          They'll consider whichever factors benefit them.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by rpmguitar View Post
                            i think the easiest answer is for MGM and SciFi to make a financial arrangement. If the show is very profitable for MGM, but not as profitable for SciFi, then MGM could take over more of the production costs or add in some sort of compensation to scifi. It's worth it to MGM to keep the series in the public spotlight and still make a profit, and scifi would get to keep one of their top 3 ratings producing shows at a lower cost.
                            That's exactly it. The show is more profitable to MGM than it is to Sci-Fi. It's in their best interests to keep it going for as long as possible.

MGM could have done some sort of deal with Sci-Fi to say guarantee 2/3 seasons. They then go & sign deals with the cast & crew. Keeping the production costs at the same level for those 3 seasons. Making the show cheaper to make.

They could have even cut it back from 20 to 18, 16 shows per year. That would save a few million off the budget. Meaning less for Sci-Fi to pay MGM. SG-1 was shown to something like 150-200 countries worldwide. MGM could have cut a few mil off the budget, especially since they were asking Sci-Fi to pay the largest part of the production budget every year. Yet all they were getting was advertsising money. While MGM were selling broadcasting rights to just under 200 networks around the world. DVD box sales, merchandising costs etc, etc. MGM were idiots & they will lose millions each year SG-1 is off the air. All because they were too greedy to come to some sort of arrangement with Sci-Fi to keep the show going on their channel.

Even look at Bridge Studios. It's the same bunch of guys & each one has multiple jobs in any given ep.

However the best solution is to give it to a brand new studio away from 'BS'. Let them take a new fresh approach to the franchise. Make a better show that fans want to see. Meaning more fans watching the show regularly. So no reason for Sci-Fi to even contemplate canning it.

As much as I want to see SG-1 & Atlantis regularly. The fault doesn't lie with Sci-Fi. It lies squarely at the feet of MGM. 1) They're too greedy with the money issues. 2) They stick with the same studio regardless despite them losing viewers every seasons. While production costs continue to rise!

MGM are the real villans in this whole piece!

Comment

It's one of SciFi's top three rated shows. Not picking up another season would be stupid.
                              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X