This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 4 off to a quality start

Edit:*This a thread for those of us that have seen Adrift, Lifeline, Reunion and maybe Doppelganger too.*

After considering how Adrift, Lifeline, Reunion and Doppelganger were, I would say Atlantis has had it's strongest start to a season yet. By this point we had already had to suffer 'Irresistable'. 4 great episodes back-to-back. I think it is excellent, and bodes well for the future. If it isn't renewed, I think these great episodes will give dvd sales (for season 4 atleast when it is released) a boost and MGM will want more Atlantis.

It seems most of the reviews have been positive. The fact that all of the cast and crew are being so positive about this season story and quality wise, makes me think the run will continue

What do you guys think? Do you think it will continue? Or is it a fluke? Or do you disagree entirely? (Pro and anti opinions are welcome here)

I personally have high hopes for 4x05, Travelers.
    Last edited by SGFerrit; 16 October 2007, 01:59 PM. Reason: Political correctness.

I have to agree Season 4 is off to becoming one of the best seasons of Stargate Atlantis. We have excellent special effects. I've not seen such great effects since like Season 1's "Rising" "The Eye" and "The Seige". The characters are becoming very 3D and have nice depth to them. They are becoming a family and the chemisty is not dry between them. They take on more risks and it's not like SG-1 where everything will be back to normal by the end of the episode. Nope, it seems SGA makes decisions that forever change it and make it more interesting to watch. SG-1 did take risks but not like SGA does. The first 3 eps of this season have been some of the best work of the entire series yet. I still have my favorite eps for the entire show, but I can see Season 4 having some eps in my top 5 by the time it's over.

It makes it more stressing for me, having to keep an optomistic attitude that SGA will get a 5th season. I still think it will happen. With how great Season 4 is starting off, it would be a shame, no make that a Sci-fi tragedy if the show does not get past season 4.
    sigpic

Comment

I have to agree -- this is the strongest start to an Atlantis season yet. All four episodes have been above average. Even the Ronon stand-alone, which can sometimes be hit-or-miss, really hit well.

I think it really helps to have more deliberately on-going story arcs. The
      Spoiler:
      Wraith-Replicator elements
      to "Reunion" really pushed it over the top, I think.

I usually don't pay as much attention to fight choreography -- but major props to BamBam. The fights this year
      Spoiler:
      -- Ronon and his friends, Ronon and Tyre, Sheppard vs. Sheppard --
      have been the best the show has ever done.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Agree with both you guys.

I was worried that I was putting season 4 on too high a pedestal, and it would not live up to my high expectations. So far, it has. And I'm sure that will continue. It really is off to the best start of any Atlantis, maybe even SG-1 season, quality wise. The arcs that are emerging will be VERY interesting to follow.

Comment

Best start to a season yet? Oh yes. I've loved all three episodes so far (have yet to see Doppelganger).

The opening two.....well, three parter, carrying over from last season was fantastic. I love that they did something completely different this year rather than another space battle, and all of the character stuff so far has been fantastic. I'm never particularly excited by a Ronon-heavy episode (aside from "Sateda"), so I was pleasantly surprised by "Reunion".

Plus, the new base uniforms look great.

Thoroughly impressed.

Comment

I agree. This i'm sure will turn out to be a fantastic season. the only problem i have are the new uniforms that look like they should be in enterprise.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I disagree. So far, season 4 is off to a lackluster start. The Asurans are nothing but rip off's of the SG-1 Replicators. From what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed.

SGA has a long way to go to bring itself back up to the quality that was S1-3.

Comment

If I were to rate each season it would go...

Season 1 = A+
                Season 2 = B+
                Season 3 = A
                Season 4 so far = A+

That is just me, a white martini drinking cartoon dog.
                sigpic

Comment

This is going to be a YMMV thread, so I hope we can keep it civil.

Personally, I haven't seen a huge change in SGA with these first 3 eps. There are improvements (Ronon and Weir get some screentime) but there are also problems that have been carried over (the Shep/McKay fighting is getting old, Weir was dumped because the writers couldn't write for her, emotional responses to big events are muted or absent). Out of these 3 eps, I would only watch one (Lifeline) again. The other two go in my "good but not good enough to rewatch" pile. That pile was the biggest one last season, so it will be interesting to see how s4 stacks up.

Comment

I have to say i prefered season 1 at the moment. although i could not give a definate statement on season 4 till i had seen the whole season to be able to compare them. (my seesawing effect everytime i watch and then rewatch an ep is frustrating beyond belief)

travellers realy worries me more than any other ep of this season.

Spoiler:
                    the sexual inuendo and women in skipmy outfits does nothing for me. neither does seeing sheppered kirking hopefully im being pessamistic and it will be ok. the only way is up when you go in with low expectations right

once i get that out of the way ill feel better
                    sigpic
                    banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Indeed it's been a great start. Regardless what the anti crowd says Atlantis has not gotten worse. it has in fact gotten better. Since Season 3 was a big disappointment for me I am very glad S4 has gotten such a good start.

Has Weirs removal impacted the show negatively? Nope.

[mod snip - please do not insult people]

We're getting another season, I am 99% sure of it.

Last edited by Madeleine; 16 October 2007, 10:09 AM.
                      We're whalers on the moon,
                      We carry a harpoon.
                      But there ain't no whales
                      So we tell tall tales
                      And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                        I disagree. So far, season 4 is off to a lackluster start. The Asurans are nothing but rip off's of the SG-1 Replicators. From what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed.

SGA has a long way to go to bring itself back up to the quality that was S1-3.
                        I personally disagree, but that's just me. In EVERY season of Atlantis or SG-1, I have found atleast 1 episode that I found to be average by this point. I personally have enjoyed all 4 episodes, and I am very happy that the majority of media reviews I have seen have been positive.

Truthfully, I didn't expect much from Reunion. I love JM as a show runner, but not so much as a writer. I was pleasently suprised. It seems ALL the characters have had moments to shine, inluding Keller, Zelenka and even
                        Spoiler:
                        Lorne in DG.

I haven't been bored once watching

Comment

Originally posted by Oka View Post
                          Indeed it's been a great start. Regardless what the anti crowd says Atlantis has not gotten worse. it has in fact gotten better. Since Season 3 was a big disappointment for me I am very glad S4 has gotten such a good start.

[mod snip]

Let's not turn this into a flame war now... If they want to continue to think that, I think we should just leave them too it I've learned there is no point in trying to try to convince someone to believe what you believe. It doesn't work lol!

I agree with the "Indeed it's been a great start" bit though
                          Last edited by Madeleine; 16 October 2007, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I agree this is an excellent start, and could it go on for several more years if this keeps up (supposing we get a 5th season).

Comment

Originally posted by Oka View Post

[mod snip]

So much for civil.... it doesn't matter if you get another season or not season 5 will be as crap as 4 just cause its on tv doesn't mean its good...
                              Last edited by Madeleine; 16 October 2007, 10:10 AM.
                              Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                              ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                              Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Working...
                              X