Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was Legend of the Rangers going somewhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was Legend of the Rangers going somewhere?

i mean they introduced a new villain and all and what with the previous JMS efforts B5 and Crusade having pre planned arcs was there one for this pilot? i cant find any info on it if anyone could shed some light on this i'd be very interested to find out what was planned.
    To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Well, "To Live and Die in Starlight" was supposed to be the pilot episode to an entire Legend of the Rangers series, but it never got picked up so all we have is that one episode.
    Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
    Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
    Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
    --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

No it was never going anywhere, except maybe the $2 bin at WalMart
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

It was meant to be another 5 season arc. JS likes stuff in fives. The movie was essentially going to be similar to 'the gathering' for B5.

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
        Funny. It's actually still 15 pounds in shops over here. Lost tales is only 12.99.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I think part of the problem with both Crusade and Legend of the Rangers goes back to B5 itself. I loved some of the plotlines of B5, but much of it was cheesy and poorly done. It was only as successful as it was because of the superb acting of Mira Furlan, Andreas Katsulas, and Peter Jurasik, and the neat subtleties put into their characters by Stephen Furst and Bill Mumy, and to a lesser extent, Bruce Boxleitner. The acting of Jerry Doyle and Claudia Christian wasn't all that good, but their characters were at least memorable. In my view it wasn't the show itself that was particularly good, it was the accidental coming together of an awesome ensemble cast that made the show more than a second rate cheesy scifi serial.

When you look at Crusade (and what little we have of LotR (hahaha, same as LotR)), you see exactly the same so-so writing as B5 had, but without the great cast to back up that writing and make it into something wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
            It was meant to be another 5 season arc. JS likes stuff in fives. The movie was essentially going to be similar to 'the gathering' for B5.

i'd like to believe that what with the previous two both having planned arcs. just wish i could find out what the story was, say what you will about JMS's writing (which i am about to) he sure can spin a yarn!

completely agree gopher65 although i love B5 and JMS's writing in general, it is cheesy and clunky as hell at times this might be down to the fact that he writes comics as well, ive found that rarely can a writer cross from one to the other successfully, his writing style seems far more suited for comics IMO just like kevin smith (although i may be in the minority there) because you can get away with that sort of dialogue in a comic but as you say on tv its all down to an actors interpretation, i didnt think crusade was too bad except for Peter Woodward hamming it up but the show got sabotaged from within i hear so i let it off for most of its crumulence.
            yeah and LOTR () was well, kind of poor i thought but like most sci fi it would grow better as the series went on, but it didnt get a chance and now we'll never know!
            To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post

Funny. It's actually still 15 pounds in shops over here. Lost tales is only 12.99.
              Ah it was more a comment on the quality of Legend of the Rangers, than it's actual price, although I seriously doubt one could actually find it at Walmart.
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I think the reason the show was never picked up was because of low ratings. Though it didn't help when the show aired at the same time as the super bowl grand final.
                sigpic
                "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                Signature made by RJB

Comment

Just watched Legend and thought parts of it were surprisingly good. For those who love B5 and have not seen it, it is certainly worth a look. I borrowed a copy, so I did not feel robbed having watched it.

Pluses

The assortment of characters brought together for the crew of the haunted ship. I thought they were well acted and diverse. They each had things to offer and seemed to complement each other. They and the ship had just a bit of the Firefly feeling. Got a big laugh with the big guy whose inner truth was that "He carries heavy things.." I liked that whole scene.

The Captain, David was good as acted, but needed to be refined through more careful writing. I liked him at first blush more than the Captain in Crusade.

G'Kar: You could put him in a Polka band and I would love him.

Minuses

Changing the Rangers into a warring frat house. Much too much silly conflict, jealousy, trivial ambitions. What happened?

The virtual reality weapons chamber. A really stupid idea...

The all too familiar Starship against the odds plot, complete with exploding panels ad nauseum. This has so been done to death, there just is no saving it.

Overall, I give the film a C+ ......

Comment

To me, "Legend of the Rangers" was ok but some of the stuff in the film, as mentioned in other posts, was pretty lame.

Then you sort of had an alternate universe story with "The Hand"...beings more powerful than the Shadows...imprisoned by some ancient race (force of light?) as being the new uber bad guys. So one has to make a leap of faith and assume they were part of "The First Ones", which Lorien belongs to. Without a more comprehensive backstory, nobody but JMS knows anything about them or why they would bother to come back.

That being said, "Legend of the Rangers" did have promise, but it seemed like it was going to be a B5 version of Star Trek.
                    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
                      Just watched Legend and thought parts of it were surprisingly good. For those who love B5 and have not seen it, it is certainly worth a look. I borrowed a copy, so I did not feel robbed having watched it.
                      Whoa there! You borrowed a copy? You do realize that is just as illegal as downloading right? It is considered "unauthorized viewing" for anyone but the original purchaser to watch a DVD. Hurray for a copyright law that doesn't protect the audience or the artists (just as the striking WGA writers), but allows megacorps to sue their customers. WooT!

Comment

If that were true, libraries would pretty soon go out of business. Lending without paying is still legal among private citizens in most parts of the world.

Inviting a bunch of friends over to your home, whether 1 or 100, to watch a movie you've rented or bought, isn't public performance either. As long as you don't ask people to pay for it. Bringing snacks and drinks isn't paying.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                          you get a point. That being said if you look at it you will see there is a lot of set up. I mean the whole heart of the ship seems little more than to tell us who these people are and where are they going. I think if it had been given a chance it would have gotten better but I love my b5
                          "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Originally posted by wilson359 View Post
                            I think the reason the show was never picked up was because of low ratings. Though it didn't help when the show aired at the same time as the super bowl grand final.
                            The rating as jms has said was largely of function of Scifi being the really stupid people they are put it up against Football Playoffs not hard to see who is going to win that fight
                            http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1...&query=ratings
                            "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                              If that were true, libraries would pretty soon go out of business. Lending without paying is still legal among private citizens in most parts of the world.
                              Cool. Can I borrow your MP3 collection?

Comment

Working...
                              X