PDA

View Full Version : The Wraith's Prisoner

FoxyEX
October 13th, 2007, 02:35 PM
How did the Wraith manage to capture the imprisoned Replicator? We know their energy stun weapons are ineffective against them as evidenced later in the episode and it appears the Asurans can't be overpowered physically either.

Xaeden
October 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Maybe they caught him with a dart.

garhkal
October 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM

That is possible, though i wonder more on what that 'field was' that kept him prisoner..

HyperspaceDaemon
October 14th, 2007, 09:07 AM
... did the Wraith manage to capture the imprisoned Replicator? We know their energy stun weapons are ineffective against them as evidenced later in the episode and it appears the Asurans can't be overpowered physically either.

The Wraith have surely developed some technology capable to capture
Asurans and study them in order to find effective ways to fight.

The stun weapons are specifically built for dealing with humans: it makes
perfect sense to stun the food without damaging it.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wraith inventing new weapons: they
are a technologically evolved species.

The question is valid though: why weren't the Wraith prepared to deal
with the Asuran in case he escaped the force field?

talyn2k1
October 14th, 2007, 09:22 AM

THey probably knew that it couldn't get out unless
1. Humans attacking the base cut main power
2. Humans attacking the base shut the field down

Neither of these would've even come to mind. If it weren't for us, the Asuran probably never would've escaped.

wise one
October 14th, 2007, 09:34 AM
its possible the field creates some sort of em field that stops the replicator from being active

Lord batchi ball
October 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM

I thought a dart would only pick up people or inother words organtic tissue.

That is The reason why the darts don't pick up buildings and other non-living things.

So how would they be able to pick up a Asuran since it is a machine?

Elite Anubis Guard
October 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM
its possible the field creates some sort of em field that stops the replicator from being active

It was active. It turned to look at McKay. As the Wraith said, they fought the Asurans thousands of years ago. I'm sure they've got gear for dealing with them.

Xaeden
October 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM

How should they have been prepared? There is only one weapon in the universe which we know will do anything to them and that came about only thanks to Jack and his Ancient knowledge. The Asgard fought them for years and came up with nothing that could stop or slow them down (then Humans came around).

It probably was a lot of work in and of itself just for them to capture him - We know normal prisons can't hold them since they can just walk through them and we know no weapon would do anything to them besides the anti-replicator gun. So I don't see how they would've been able to stop him once he got out of the field.

That is The reason why the darts don't pick up buildings and other non-living things.

So how would they be able to pick up a Asuran since it is a machine?

And yet it has no problem with clothes or weapons - It probably works like other forms of beaming technology in which it can be set to demateralize something and then takes everything attached to them. So the reason it normally doesn't pick up branches on the ground is because it's set for life signs. However, it's logical to think that they could easily adjust it so it demateralizes something else. Although, if that were not the case (which I seriously doubt) it should just be a matter of having a Wraith touching an Asuran when the beam passes over them for it to work.

Major Tyler
October 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM

So how would they be able to pick up a Asuran since it is a machine?Well, the beam is clearly capable of taking non-organic materials (otherwise people would be beamed out of their clothes) so I'm sure they could modify it to pick up machines.

cavalierlwt
October 14th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Now, if you guys had a sharp eye like I do, you would have noticed a very important memo sitting on the control console by that force field. The note said:

***MEMO***
Please install battery backup system on Replicator Containment Field device ASAP!
We do *NOT* need to have a Replicator running around in the unlikely event of a power failure.

Thank you for your prompt attention,

-Boss Wraith

:D

SoulReaver
October 14th, 2007, 05:22 PM
more interesting was how the forcefield was able to contain the replicator

we know that replicators can go through at least some types of forcefields (must be their 'adaptation' thingie since they can adapt & become resistant to various techs) which means the forcefield used to confine that replicator must have been quite advanced

HyperspaceDaemon
October 15th, 2007, 03:03 AM
How should they have been prepared? There is only one weapon in the universe which we know will do anything to them and that came about only thanks to Jack and his Ancient knowledge. The Asgard fought them for years and came up with nothing that could stop or slow them down (then Humans came around).

It probably was a lot of work in and of itself just for them to capture him - We know normal prisons can't hold them since they can just walk through them and we know no weapon would do anything to them besides the anti-replicator gun. So I don't see how they would've been able to stop him once he got out of the field.

With a secondary safety field that uses a backup power source - just in case that the
main field gets deactivated for some reason.
Or, with a portable beam generator (adapted from a dart).

Come on ... if you have a lab where you are studying a dangerous enemy it's
illogical not to have any backup strategy for re-capturingt it.

In fact, the beaming technology could be already used effectively by the Wraith :
once a dart captures an Asuran with the beam it would be surely possible to just
erase the energy buffer and never re-materialize the replicator ... quick and dirty.
Or, re-materialize the Asuran next to a blackhole or star .

SoulReaver
October 15th, 2007, 04:40 AM
In fact, the beaming technology could be already used effectively by the Wraith : but replicators can adapt to many things, including teleporters (sg1 s8 New Order - a humanoid replicator has made itself resistant to asgard teleportation)

HyperspaceDaemon
October 15th, 2007, 05:37 AM
but replicators can adapt to many things, including teleporters (sg1 s8 New Order - a humanoid replicator has made itself resistant to asgard teleportation)

As a true Wraith worshipper, I think that the Wraith would be capabale to find ways to
erradicate the Asurans if given the chance by the show writers. But probably
they'll give all the credit to the SGA when the right moment comes.

I'd really like to see an episode with the Wraith-Asurans war , from the Wraith
perspective . I mean : to see the Wraith on a hive ship preparing for attack , and
then watch a battle without the involvement of the Atlantis team at all .
I'm probably dreaming - it must be too expensive to do such episodes.

JSPuddlejumper
October 15th, 2007, 05:41 AM
And these Replicators can replicate themselves many times.

Now would a Replicator only create 1 version of itself? Which makes sense in the sense that they are copying the Ancients.

But according to episode 5 of Season 3 there are BILLIONS of replicators in Asuras. Good luck trying to capture them all via beaming tech.

Like mentioned before, being Replicators they will adapt to all technology.

wise one
October 15th, 2007, 07:35 AM
its quite possible the replaicator took some damage from like a dart or a tree squashed it.

like when in return part 2 sheppard came through the gate in the jumper and ran over 2 asuran replicators

maybe the one in reuinon got knocked out somehow allowing the wraith to capture it via dart or wraith labout we dont know.

i think the field somehow keeps the asuarn in some sort of animation or draws power from the replaicator itself so that the asuran wont be able to function since when nanim was ejected out into space in progeny and mckay said it was unable to function due to hrase could eviroments and reading on low energy reading

HyperspaceDaemon
October 15th, 2007, 10:11 AM
And these Replicators can replicate themselves many times.

Now would a Replicator only create 1 version of itself? Which makes sense in the sense that they are copying the Ancients.

But according to episode 5 of Season 3 there are BILLIONS of replicators in Asuras. Good luck trying to capture them all via beaming tech.

Like mentioned before, being Replicators they will adapt to all technology.

From my point of view the invulnerability of the Asurans is a bad idea : it makes
them boring. Noone can actually negociate to them. They are just "bad".

I prefer to see the Wraith finding ways to fight them , rather than to see the Asurans
victorious in thirty episodes until they suddenly get destroyed by the SGA team in
just a two-part episode.

garhkal
October 15th, 2007, 03:14 PM
but replicators can adapt to many things, including teleporters (sg1 s8 New Order - a humanoid replicator has made itself resistant to asgard teleportation)

The difference there is they had already assimilated Asguard tech and had control of other asguard ships.... Not sure if teh Asurans have done that with wraith stuff.

SoulReaver
October 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM
The difference there is they had already assimilated Asguard tech and had control of other asguard ships.... Not sure if teh Asurans have done that with wraith stuff.hmm good point - we don't know if that replicator adapted to the asgard beam or simply used its knowledge of already assimilated asgard tech to make itself resistant to it (and the latter is more likely), like replicarter did with the arw

nevertheless replicators do have the ability to adapt to various techs so the risk is there - besides the asurans have ancient tech knowledge, this makes them even more dangerous, and more likely to adapt to more advanced tech (which even the ida replicators could not adapt to)

wise one
October 16th, 2007, 06:34 AM
the milkyway replicators can adapt to any tech even ancient, its just the fact they havent come across ancient technology before(maybe they have)

they were made by a android who created them to be her toys and then some time after they replicated everything and sometime later took over asgard ships in the war..

small machines that can take over asgard ships that were originally toys i would say they can adapt to anything, and even with the knowledge they had now, the ancient tech will still be as technology to them as if was asgard.

but the asurans are limited to imitating ancient tech and would not adapt to any other tech then their own or they will find a way to use it from hurting their race

Actionhank
October 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Now, if you guys had a sharp eye like I do, you would have noticed a very important memo sitting on the control console by that force field. The note said:

***MEMO***
Please install battery backup system on Replicator Containment Field device ASAP!
We do *NOT* need to have a Replicator running around in the unlikely event of a power failure.

Thank you for your prompt attention,

-Boss Wraith

:D
Probably it was the operator's first day at the prisoner's station. They should send him the memo directly to his mail account with priority. :D

SoulReaver
October 28th, 2007, 03:54 PM
the milkyway replicators can adapt to any tech even ancientnope

Jovian Diplomat
November 11th, 2007, 09:28 PM
indeed.
The MW replicators needed to cheat and gain some serious intel on the AR gun before they built up a resistance.
Whereas Asurans, with their rather detailed knowledge of ancient technology didn't need to worry about gaining intel, they only need limited scans of the fields and a couple of suicide runs to figure out how to counteract it.
And OMG I want a gif of that Asuran breaking free, getting shot and punching a wraith in the face!