PDA

View Full Version : Replicator prisoner reprogrammed?

andromeda_dan
October 13th, 2007, 01:27 PM
when the replicator dropped to the floor and start marching towards the SG team while being shot at by a hail of gun fire, it looks like it gave the team a glance, stopped short of attacking the team when it was at arms lenght, then turned away and headed towards the door.

Was the replicator's pause caused as a recognition by it that the team is not the enemy? Or it's prerogative to attack the team over written when it saw the wraiths show up at the door?

If it was the first, maybe other than Rodney's reactivation of the base code to destroy the Wraith, maybe EW also had an influence on the replicators, reprogamming it not to attack the humans?

P-90_177
October 13th, 2007, 01:36 PM
i personally think it was just the wraith programming taking over when they entered the room. If they haddn't the asuran would have killed them.

Xaeden
October 13th, 2007, 01:39 PM
It looked to me like he just walked in an L which means that he walked down from his cage and turned left so he could walk out the door rather than walking directly towards it. In which case he may never have had any attention of bothering with them. But, anyway he couldn't see the Wraith as they were down the hallway to the left of the door so unless he can detect them non-visually he wouldn't have known that they were there.

He knew that he was in a Wraith complex though so maybe he just went off to seek the Wraith or maybe his plan was to get back to his people. Sheppard and co stopped firing on him just before he turned so maybe if they continued to fire he would've went after them where as the Wraith kept firing and were blocking his path so he took them down. Anyway that's enough maybes for one post so I'll end it by saying that I don't have a clue, but I'm looking forward to them expanding on it.

SGFerrit
October 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Hmm, interesting... Could it be a subtle hint that Weir has done something so that the Replicators don't attack humans? Or am I looking too much into it lol...

Afterall, we know Rodney activated the protocol to kill the Wraith, but there is NOTHING to say they still don't wish to kill humans. Or perhapse the 'Kill All Wraith!' protocol just takes priority over the 'Kill All Humans!' one?

marty2006
October 13th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Hmm, interesting... Could it be a subtle hint that Weir has done something so that the Replicators don't attack humans? Or am I looking too much into it lol...

Afterall, we know Rodney activated the protocol to kill the Wraith, but there is NOTHING to say they still don't wish to kill humans. Or perhapse the 'Kill All Wraith!' protocol just takes priority over the 'Kill All Humans!' one?

i think killing wraith is their primary goal now but they certainly havnt forgotten about us

Avenger
October 13th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Probably looked at the team, tagged them as a lesser threat and went after the Wraith.

andromeda_dan
October 13th, 2007, 03:44 PM
The lanteans did install a 'do not harm your lantean master' program that was turn off by the replicators after Rodney screwed with the base code, giving the replicators access to their base code, so it maybe possible that when EW got linked up to the replicator network, she patched up the program together and added a 'do not harm humans' order?

marty2006
October 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM
The lanteans did install a 'do not harm your lantean master' program that was turn off by the replicators after Rodney screwed with the base code, giving the replicators access to their base code, so it maybe possible that when EW got linked up to the replicator network, she patched up the program together and added a 'do not harm humans' order?

dont think so man then the asurans arnt a threat to us and that wouldnt be any fun now would it :)

garhkal
October 13th, 2007, 03:59 PM
That is a big possibility... But i say lets watch and wait mroe before we speculate if it was wier that put that in..

the fifth man
October 13th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Probably looked at the team, tagged them as a lesser threat and went after the Wraith.

I'd probably have to go with that as being the case. It definitely seems more likely.

Ltcolshepjumper
October 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM
when the replicator dropped to the floor and start marching towards the SG team while being shot at by a hail of gun fire, it looks like it gave the team a glance, stopped short of attacking the team when it was at arms lenght, then turned away and headed towards the door.

Was the replicator's pause caused as a recognition by it that the team is not the enemy? Or it's prerogative to attack the team over written when it saw the wraiths show up at the door?

If it was the first, maybe other than Rodney's reactivation of the base code to destroy the Wraith, maybe EW also had an influence on the replicators, reprogamming it not to attack the humans?

I think it was moreso the fact that the Wraith were higher priority. that and the Asuran was probably captured while attacking the Wraith (probably beamed up in a dart). The Asuran probably just wanted to return to asuras. Apparently he and Mdckay had a chat, according to JoeM.

elbo
October 13th, 2007, 05:41 PM
The Asurans free will, have been neutralise once with the code activation. Now they will only work to achive that task, command. They will not attack someone else untill either the Wraith are destroy or the cod deactivated. They may became hostile to a third party, if they evaluate that party like an obstacle in their task to eliminate the Wraith. Tipical machine thinking.

I think that in 'Reunion' was ovious that. The replicator prisoner evaluate the human team like not being Wraith and their weapons not a threat and moved on. After he killed the 2 Wraith drones he continue with the task and not turning back to the humans who were watching. So the priority kill theory don't stand.

Sarge300491
October 13th, 2007, 09:11 PM
i think he was just walking to the door turned left and exited, and the programming kicked in once he saw the wraith.

FallenAngelII
October 14th, 2007, 01:06 AM
My interpretation was that as long as there are Wraith nearby, the Asurans are bound by their programming to kill them first before doing anything else.

Anubis-
October 14th, 2007, 03:48 AM
I think, that Rodney same time, when he activated wraith kill-code, put something in, that saves humans from them.

HyperspaceDaemon
October 14th, 2007, 08:55 AM
My interpretation was that as long as there are Wraith nearby, the Asurans are bound by their programming to kill them first before doing anything else.

I fully agree: the humans were not a target at that time and that's why
the Asuran went for the target with higher priority. I would add that the Asuran's attitude had something Borg-ish in it.

Lord batchi ball
October 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM

I like that theory. It would be a great ark to wier.

To me the Asuran never looked like he was going to harm the team, but that sheppard over reacted and shot at it, plus why would he shoot at it unless he wants to waste some ammo.

JSPuddlejumper
October 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Replicator did a Borg like walk to the exit?

When the kill Wraith code was activated, it could mean that the Replicators will not harm any other creatures until the Wraith are destroyed.

Replicators will definitely wipe out the Wraith, unless something drastic happens.

Replicators have many things going for them:

1) Far faster building capability
2) Much harder to kill than the Ancients
3) Same technology, if not slightly above the Ancients

HyperspaceDaemon
October 15th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Replicators will definitely wipe out the Wraith, unless something drastic happens.

Replicators have many things going for them:

1) Far faster building capability
2) Much harder to kill than the Ancients
3) Same technology, if not slightly above the Ancients

Yes, in hand-to-hand combat a Replicator would easily kill many Wraiths.
But the war has just begun , so I guess that it will last many episodes until
we'll know the winner.

The Wraiths have their own advantages as well :
- they come in huge numbers
- they live in ships spread around the whole galaxy - so it would take a long time to
hunt all of them
- they already have the beaming technology installed on their darts : so it's a very
plausible solution to capture the Asurans one by one with the beams and never re-materialize them. The big problem to this approach are the powerful shields
that would need to be de-activated before cleaning a city of nasty replicators.

wise one
October 15th, 2007, 07:41 AM
i think it detected wraith lifesigns or something and the program kicked in totally ignoring humans and went for the wraith

well there was amention of wier between shep and carter saying whether wier was alive or not...so maybe she could of done something

garhkal
October 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM
- they already have the beaming technology installed on their darts : so it's a very
plausible solution to capture the Asurans one by one with the beams and never re-materialize them. The big problem to this approach are the powerful shields
that would need to be de-activated before cleaning a city of nasty replicators.

That is a good point. Just fly over lots of asurans and beam them up... Then wait till you are in space and reintergrate them right into a sun..

andromeda_dan
October 15th, 2007, 03:33 PM
The wraith's beaming technology looks like it works only when there is a biologically element attached to it, that's why people get beamed up with their clothes and weapons on but not the surrounding non-biological objects. But it's not to say that the wraith can't adapt their beaming technology to beam in to a specific signature emitted by the replicators.

In anycase, after hearing from the wraith boss that it was them that introduced the 'non-aggression to wraith' program into the replicators, it may well be also be possible that the wraith made a program to turn the replicators against the Ancients, which in turn may have in resulted in forcing the Ancients to use the ARW at them.

The Ancients may not have known that the replicators have been compromised by the wraith in the beginning. So instead of trying to figure out what caused the replicators to turn against them, the Ancients assume that the replicators is just another one of their failed inventions and started to eliminate them with their ARW's, instead of fighting a 2-fronted war.

Out of threat of being eliminated by the Ancients, the replicators may have negotiated a truce with the ancients, giving the Ancients the upper hand to temper the condition of the truce with the introduction of a non-aggression program towards the Ancient.

but, Quoting SGFerrit...Or am I looking too much into it lol...

wise one
October 16th, 2007, 06:48 AM
the wraith said in reunion to mckay that once they had defeated the ancinets the galaxy was theres until these things appeared

WRAITH: Many thousands of years ago. We had defeated the Ancients -- the galaxy was ours, and then these things appeared.

McKAY: I take it you’re not a big fan ...

WRAITH: They are an abomination. They’re not even alive.

McKAY: In other words, you can’t eat them, so they’re no good to you.

WRAITH: They are machines. Machines can be reprogrammed.

so it was after the ancients left the galaxy is when the wraith found out about them, and maybe before they left they tried to destroy the replicators since their experiment got out of hand

andromeda_dan
October 16th, 2007, 04:34 PM
either there's a plot hole or the wraith is just spouting propaganda to Rodney.

Xaeden
October 16th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Wait, what? You think it was propaganda or a plothole that the Asurans attacked the Wraith after the Ancients left for Earth? That makes no sense. Nothing that has been said previously contradicts this. In fact, we know that the programming that made it so the Asurans couldn't attack the Ancients was still intact by the time Humans came across them. It was also previously stated that the problem the Ancients had with the Asurans was that they evolved into sentient beings. I find it highly unlikely and out of character that the Ancients would've allowed these beings to run around the galaxy with their weapons and technology (it's more likely that they figured out how to duplicate it all on their own). The original project was to infect the Wraith with nanites that would spread from Wraith to Wraith, killing every last one of them, and when the nanites joined together and evolved into replicators on their own the project was deemed a failure.

Also, you originally said that the Ancients used anti-replicator weapons on the Asurans and that is not the case. They bombarded their planet through normal means. As far as we know the Ancients never thought to develop such technology. It currently appears that some Ancients built the device on Dakara at around the time Atlantis was leaving this galaxy (thus they may not even know how others of their kind built it) and when O'neill had access to the knowledge they spread around the Milky Way (possibly just before dying of the plaque) he had the knowledge which allowed the device on Dakara to be built and was able to figure out a way to use that technology as a weapon against the replicators. The fact that the Asurans survived (because they used normal weapons to bombard their planet) supports this as if the Ancients had a weapon that could be used to break apart and kill their nanites they would've used that instead and had they used that there was no chance a nanite could've survived to go on to build the Asuran civilization.

andromeda_dan
October 16th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I'm leaning more towards the propaganda side than a plot hole. It's more likely that the ancients have refined the replicator design during the course of, 30,000,000 years, since Reese. What was shown to Wier by Niam maybe nothing more than just a fiction implanted by the Wraith when they got access to their programming. Why would the wraith stop at just reprogramming the replicators aggression to Wraith and not push forward to totally reprogramming them to kill the ancients for them? The only thing that stopped the replicators from killing the ancients were the failsafe programiing they had in the replicators base code.

Plus, it has also been theorized that the weapon in the temple of Dakara was used by the ancients to seed life in the Milky way galaxy, so if that's the case, the ancients do have a weapon to use to fight the model t-1 of the replicators when they first went bonkers. Remember it was Selmak who convinced Carter that the weapon should not be destroyed because he found writings that indicate that the Dakara weapon can, not only create life, but also reset to destroy. Reese was discovered in an area that maybe shielded from the Dakara weapon when it was first activated by the ancients to kill off the first replicator scourge. One of the reasons I can see as to why there is a difference in the Milky way replicators to the Pegasus replicators is that the Ancients had 30 million years to fix the bugs (or features) that need tweaking, like the ability to form ships and other structures by replication, which is what the MWR version can do but is an ability not found in the PR.

It's in this line of thought that made me believe that there is more to the replicator history than what Niam told Weir.

Heaven
October 16th, 2007, 11:47 PM
what makes you think Reese is 30 million years old?
if that was the case the replicators would have infested the entire universe long ago
she was probably created by the Lantians who returned to Earth

I think what happened is the ancients decided to abandon the Asuras project and destroy them, and by the time the replicators who survived managed to restore their civilization the ancients had already lost the war.

Xaeden
October 17th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I'm leaning more towards the propaganda side than a plot hole. It's more likely that the ancients have refined the replicator design during the course of, 30,000,000 years, since Reese.

Where do you get this stuff from? There is not a shred of evidence to suggest that Reese wasn't created within the last few thousand years. Most people who try to speculate about a connection between the two replicator lifeforms at least say that perhaps an Ancient created her after they came to Earth. Which there isn't an evidence for either.

What was shown to Wier by Niam maybe nothing more than just a fiction implanted by the Wraith when they got access to their programming.

The Wraith are so advanced now that they can create entire false realities in their minds?

Why would the wraith stop at just reprogramming the replicators aggression to Wraith and not push forward to totally reprogramming them to kill the ancients for them?

Because the Wraith don't have that kind of technology. If they can could reprogram the Asurans so completely why not program them to think that it's a good idea to fly into a sun? They created a virus which was able to turn off one command. That was the best they could do.

The only thing that stopped the replicators from killing the ancients were the failsafe programiing they had in the replicators base code.

Wait so now the Wraith were not able to modify their programming so they could attack the Ancients? But I thought you said they were able to create a false reality for them. How could they do that, but not figure out how to turn off the failsafe?

Plus, it has also been theorized that the weapon in the temple of Dakara was used by the ancients to seed life in the Milky way galaxy, so if that's the case, the ancients do have a weapon to use to fight the model t-1 of the replicators when they first went bonkers. Remember it was Selmak who convinced Carter that the weapon should not be destroyed because he found writings that indicate that the Dakara weapon can, not only create life, but also reset to destroy.

You missed my point. We know that the device on Dakara was created to seed life. However, it appears as if it was created by the best minds the Ancients had as they dying of the plaque - They wanted to make sure their species would continue to exist so they used their DNA to create themselves and thus Humans were born. If they did indeed just create this in their last breathes it's unlikely that the Ancients who left for the Pegasus galaxy would've known about it since they survived by having no contact with plaque victims and therefore would not have had access to the work plaque victims were doing elsewhere. Just like we know they wouldn't have been aware of the time travel device that they tried to create to save themselves from the plaque.

As I said before, given that the Ancients did not use anti-replicator weapons on Asuras it suggests that they not only had no knowledge of the technology behind the Dakara device but also that they had no knowledge of replicators ever existing.

Reese was discovered in an area that maybe shielded from the Dakara weapon when it was first activated by the ancients to kill off the first replicator scourge.

Reese was an Android so if the device was turned into a replicator weapon it would not have effected her. More so if you're saying they used the device on replicators in the Milky Way at some point you are mistaken since it doesn't explain how the Asgard got infected with them.

One of the reasons I can see as to why there is a difference in the Milky way replicators to the Pegasus replicators is that the Ancients had 30 million years to fix the bugs (or features) that need tweaking, like the ability to form ships and other structures by replication, which is what the MWR version can do but is an ability not found in the PR.

You're making it sound like the Ancients created the replicators in the Milky Way even though we know it was Reese. We also know that everyone on the planet was afraid of her toys and wanted them gone right away. So basically your theory is that the Ancients recreated the technology that an Android came up so they could use it fight the Wraith. Even though they never had any intention of making thinking machines and just wanted to create nanites that would infect the Wraith and kill them from the inside - They were shocked when they evolved into sentient beings.

It's in this line of thought that made me believe that there is more to the replicator history than what Niam told Weir.

Well of course there's more, but I don't think Niam lied or was tricked into believing what he said was the truth.