X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THre ain't no stealth in space

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3w.html
    science says so, but seing as this ruins so many plot elements(lol) i coldn't let this rest.
    so let's hear it, can we have tha hunt for red october in space?
    Last edited by Crazy Tom; 21 October 2007, 06:55 AM.

I question the validity of your source. I couldn’t find a reliable author and there were no scientific backings. No references were listed.

But I do think the idea could be correct. But I think there is a difference between stealth and cloak. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Enter the Fargate...to steal intergalatic cable!

Comment

Interesting article but I believe it completely disregards one aspect of stealth technology which blows it out of the water.

I am pretty sure that the cloaking/stealth devices in ST/stargate distort space in such a way that they effectively create a field that bends space around it. This meaning that for all intents and purposes the field and all objects within it don't exist. This being true if you make a field large enough by the time the heat you give off leaves the field, it will have dissipated sufficiently that it has reached the ambient temperature of the surrounding environment so that it is impossible to tell it was ever heated.

There is also the fact that if they ever reach a point where space battles happen, we have no idea how other technology has advanced. In the stargate universe goa'uld technology is known to operate at above 100% efficiency. This is a standard that completely goes against our understanding of the laws of physics and thermodynamics. It is highly likely to assume that with this being true, there are other aspects that seem physically impossible today, that are standard fact to the more highly advanced.

While I believe we are becoming more highly advanced by the day, there are things accepted as fact today that will turn out to be completely wrong in the future. It used to be fact that the Earth was at the centre of the universe and everything revolved around it. It also used to be fact that the Earth was completely flat. As a popular saying goes "The only thing that is a irrefutable fact as far as science is concerned is change."

Comment

Stealth exists in space today. Due to gravity literally bending light *around* a planetary body, we can see objects that would be obscured in simple line-of-sight observation.

Comment

the question is how do u make something stealthy?

Comment

well in todays world stealth jets using special light and sensor reflecting paint, plus reduced heat signitures allow you to become invisible to sensors and using a gravity field which makes light flow around the vessel instead of bouncing off it would cloak you to the naked eye.
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
              well in todays world stealth jets using special light and sensor reflecting paint, plus reduced heat signitures allow you to become invisible to sensors and using a gravity field which makes light flow around the vessel instead of bouncing off it would cloak you to the naked eye.
              Special coatings are a large part of current stealth technology, but by far the biggest contributor is the geometry. Stealth design requires that you examine direction from which radar is likely to originate, and tailor geometry such that no perpendicular surfaces or edges return a signal. The coatings are literally just icing on the cake.

Comment

The better question remains:

Who has the sensors, and the technology to see a ship to begin with, let alone under the shimmer of a cloak?

Space as quoted so far and wide is massive (excuse the pun), up and down, left and right X,Y and Z axis, it would be a fluke of natural occular detection to see a ship that most likely more than 25km without ever knowing it's trajectory, or course, or both.

That said, size is a bonus, and if it was reflective enough, Starlight would indeed reflect off of it, and under motion, could be seen as a moving star, so the final question is:

Q: Should the idea of stealth not to be bending light, or hiding heat signatures, but to keep light, from hitting the ship, and being reflected to another source?

Ergo: the idea behind the Stealth Bomber, and people say that it's primative technology, yeah, it's not perfect, but the prinicple behind it, be that canabolised alien technology or good old fashioned human ingenuity is I would imagine, pretty much the same..........care to put your point across please
                sigpic
                In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

i don'k know these guys seem to know wht their talking about.
                  Most of the arguments on thermo and space detection run through a predictable course of responses:

1) "Space is dark. You're nuts!"
                  2) "OK, there's no horizon, but the signatures can't be that bright?"
                  3) "OK, the drive is that bright, but what if it's off?"
                  4) "But it's not possible to scan the entire sky quickly!"
                  5) "OK, so the reactors are that bright, what if you direct them somewhere else..."
                  6) "What if I build a sunshade?"
                  7) "OK, so if I can't avoid being detected by thermal output, I'll make decoys..."
                  8) "Arrgh. You guys suck all the fun out of life! It's a GAME, dammit!"

and keep in mind that radar isn't he only sensor on a spaceship, there's gona be a sensor for prety much every part of the EM spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by chicer_mister View Post
                    science says so, but seing as this ruins so many plot elements(lol) i coldn't let this rest.
                    so let's hear it, can we have tha hunt for red october in space?
                    I found this on the same website and it says that this depends on todays technology. Technology is expanding every day and I'm sure stealth technology is going to be made in the future.
                    This is with current off-the-shelf technology. Presumably future technology would be better.

Comment

awww. but wat's the fun in waiting, the more chalenging something is the funner.

Comment

With the invention of ever more exotic metamaterials in the not so distant future we will start to see a plethora of counterintuitive properties in both passive & active stealth systems that will turn a lot of what those fellows said on it’s ear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamaterial

However their assessment is spot on when it comes to off the shelf current technologies.
                        sigpic
                        Spoiler:
                        Me: “I just wanted to take the Staten Island Ferry…I wasn’t expecting the extraordinary rendition.”
                        *Three DHS guys dressed in black pop out of nowhere. *
                        DHS: “NOBODY EVER EXPECTS THE EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION!!!”
                        DHS: “Our chief weapons are shock-n-awe, enhanced interrogation techniques, and the suspension of habeas corpus.”

Comment

right near the top of the artilce it says
                          This is with current off-the-shelf technology. Presumably future technology would be better.
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

lol the internet.
                            Last edited by Argosy; 14 October 2007, 08:50 AM. Reason: To adversarial
                            sigpic
                            Spoiler:
                            Me: “I just wanted to take the Staten Island Ferry…I wasn’t expecting the extraordinary rendition.”
                            *Three DHS guys dressed in black pop out of nowhere. *
                            DHS: “NOBODY EVER EXPECTS THE EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION!!!”
                            DHS: “Our chief weapons are shock-n-awe, enhanced interrogation techniques, and the suspension of habeas corpus.”

Comment

awww.....guys. i was hoping for crazy theoryse on how to make it work now.

Comment

Working...
                              X