X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wormhole physics

I have a few questions about wormhole physics

When did SG 1 establish that wormhole travel is
    one way only? (i don't remember it being said in the first season and i missed a lot of the seasons between 1 and 4 because of the leaving and starting college)

When was the 38 minutes thing establisged i ask this cause every time its metioned it seems to be broken like the prime directive on star trek

thtats it for now basically

1] My first recolection of the 38 minutes was in the end of season 1, or the first episode of season two, serpents lair or den I think the former.
    The claim was later in season 2 in the episode "Matter Of Time" where the wormhole did not terminate at the 38 minute mark, drawing it's power from the blackhole on the other side, in essence the wormhole in that episode was opened relatively speaking for around 2 weeks!! the longest ever I think?

2] The one way was I don't believe was introduced in season one, My earliest recolection is again, the same episode as above, where in the time dialation feild exposes it'self back through the stargate and then begins to bubble fourth and cause time lag in the mountain, in essence as above, the gate had been opened around (and don't quote me pls) and hour to 2 hours, and becuase of time dialation that was the only think to be able to translate through the gate, much like radio signals like the IDC signatures from SG teams, again the 2 hours of so, was relatively speaking for the outside prespective2 weeks.

Now this has me thinking, why can radio waves and gravity translate back and fourth, but not matter, the thermodynamics of the Stargate in this regard are elusive to even a seasoned fan of SG, I don't ever remember hearing a fact to support the above question.

Please add to this, if it's been explained and I've missed it?

thanks
    sigpic
    In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

I think the one way system of the gates is due to the matter stream only being able to be sent in one direction. It could be that the receiving gate expects to reintegrate matter, not demolecularise it at the event horizon and send it through.

This brings up a strange point, we know the Radio waves can be sent both ways through the wormhole a Stargate creates, so shouldn't all forms of EMR be transmitted both ways? Including visible light.

EDIT: Just realized this same point was brought up on another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by FreakyMcD View Post
        This brings up a strange point, we know the Radio waves can be sent both ways through the wormhole a Stargate creates, so shouldn't all forms of EMR be transmitted both ways? Including visible light. [/I]
        Maybe the stargate event horizon works like a wall in a house. It allows radio wave through but not visible light.
        Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Comment

its one way of thinking of it, a wall in a house....hmmm.

I think these points may be valid and I will try to put these in easy to read terms, so here goes:

[1] The stargate is a device, that takes apart the molecules in a person for example.

[2] It then transmits the body in the de-molecularised state in about 0.3 seconds to the recieving Stargate.

[3] The gate contacts the other gate when it is dialed, the gate is expecting the data transmission and is currently active.

[4] The Original Stargate transmits one way to the other gate only.

[5] The subspace connection that was refferenced in "Avenger 2.0" is a signal connection that works by subspace, the same Subspace the Gate uses to transmit people in 0.3 seconds.

So in esence, that subspace connection may be enough to keep a two way connection between to gates and allow for radio waves, but the gate travel of matter, is only performed by one gate taking apart a person, transmitting it, and the second gate reconstructing the person.

Any Stargate dialed and awaiting a transmission (matter or a person) is connected by a subspace wormhole as we know it is, and this is open to any type of radio interference both ways.

If people are curious the following episodes that come to mind that touch on the subject of some aspects of gate travel are:

"Solitudes" - The second Stargate is found, using the old one to find Jack and Sam

"Matter of time" - Gravity from a blackhole translates through the Stargate, a first in the SGU, since nobody knew it could!

"avenger 2.0" The subspace connection between all stargates is mentioned, this keeps locations up to date and makes sound sense in science.

"redemption part 1 and 2" Anubis' weapon uses the wormhole to cause a build up in the Earth Gate.

"A Hundred Days" Sokar's iris burning device is reconstructed by Sam to save oneil when the gate is burried.

"Window of Opportunity" The Ancient time loop device creates a subspace bubble between 14 Gates, causing time to loop in all four planets including Earth, the subspace connection theory is valid and makes very much sense.

"Watergate" The Alien Stargate seems not to allow the water back through the gate, possibly a detection feild or more complex wormhole physics involved.

"Chain Reaction" The Naquahdah Exlosion on the test planet almost blows the Earth Stargate up, energy is translated back from an outgoing wormhole to the test planet, and video feedback in key to the mission also!

"Red Sky" A Superheavy element interupts the outgoing wormhole to K'tau, it basically joins the wormhole from a planet on the way, this episode shows that outside interference can effect a one way wormhole, leading the element to contaminate the K'tau sun.

"48 Hours" - The stargate transmits data and traps Teal'c in the gate before he can be materialised by the natural process of gate travel, further supporting the idea that the subspace wormhole acts ahead of the actual transition of gatetravel!

"Beachhead" - The gate acts as an anchor and the blackhole keeps the wormhole open, not ideal to the idea of two way subspace travel but a top episode never the less lol!!

If you can add anything to this please do,

Please excuse any ommisions from the list, now these episodes may seem off the mark, but in each episode, or in part of the episodes, the physics of the Stargate are explored and may add some reference material to this thread.
          sigpic

Comment

It's also worth pointing out that in the early seasons it took several seconds for the person/object to be sent through the wormhole. The average 0.3 seconds seems to be a new addition. I think it's the episode Enigma is S1 when we first meet the Tollan, Carter says the UAV is holding course in the wormhole and will reach the destination in x amount of seconds. This implies that an object can "fall out" of the wormhole en route, and I think this method was used to try and fix K-tau's sun in Red Sky.

Comment

It's interesting to see how they have expanded on the Stargate ideas.

Aside from being for more laughs the episode "Avenger 2.0" did fill a gap that was missing, by adding to the show, the idea of all the stargates being connected either constantly, or when neccessary by a subspace network is perhaps key to full understanding how the Stargates work.

So Stellar drift would in theory make the addresses of some stargates far out from Earth obsolete without the updates sent through the network by each other, so this could explain how two way radio contact is possible, if the subspace wormhole was always present from the second the gate was active to it's shut down.
              sigpic

Comment

Radio waves and energy can transmit through the gate because it doesn't require matter integration. It's the matter integration that seems to be the one-way thing.

Comment

finally going to put in my $0.02

Just a thought bouncing about in my head, but maybe since power is delivered by the outgoing gate to BOTH gates (or something like this, I recall), maybe there's only enough power for the receiving gate to power its buffer...there's too much powere being used by the outgoing wormhole to deliver sufficient energy to that gate's buffer.
                  Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                  Check out my Flickr

Comment

The one-directional travel was established in the original movie. It was a major part of the plot as they had to figure out how to activate the gate from their end to get home.

Why only one directional? Perhaps it's simply because one gate is set to send matter, and the other to receive matter. If it were 2-directional, what happens when you exit the gate, but are still partly in the event horizon. Could you get sucked back the other way? How does the gate know which direction you want to go? Maybe you could get stuck bouncing back and forth between gates!
                    Maybe the Ancients had problems with matter getting mixed up when trying to send both directions at once, and so it's simply a safety feature programmed in to the gate. Non-matter, like radio signals wont result in people being wrongly reintegrated, so can be allowed go both ways.

Comment

I remember in the pilot episode, that Apophis left the star gate to kidnap the women for a host and just walked right back in. He nor his jaffa, dialed as there is no DHD at earth's gate.
                      Also, how do they always know what the point of origin is? In the movie they brought Daniel along to find out what it was, and he had trouble figuring it out but in every episode they have absolutely no trouble figuring it out.

Comment

I think I remember an episode where an enemy jumps through the gate and Teal'c walks in partially and pulls the enemy back. I believe it was RepliCarter.

Comment

a wormhole is twoway. the gate only works oneway, cause it would be hazardous if two people enter at once

Comment

Originally posted by Ramses818 View Post
                            I remember in the pilot episode, that Apophis left the star gate to kidnap the women for a host and just walked right back in. He nor his jaffa, dialed as there is no DHD at earth's gate.
                            If you watch closely the wormhole does disengage, they probably dialled manually when they left.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanAgro View Post
                              I have a few questions about wormhole physics

When did SG 1 establish that wormhole travel is
                              one way only? (i don't remember it being said in the first season and i missed a lot of the seasons between 1 and 4 because of the leaving and starting college)

When was the 38 minutes thing establisged i ask this cause every time its metioned it seems to be broken like the prime directive on star trek

thtats it for now basically
                              One way travel goes all the way back to the movie

BROWN
                              Yes, please. If we're not back soon, they'll just turn on the 'gate from the other side.
                              FERRETTI
                              Oh, no. It doesn't work that way. You see, if you don't turn it on from here, we're screwed. So I'm telling you guys, we're not going anywhere!
                              People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Working...
                              X