Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi Serious Question..... Do you think we really do have our own spaceships

Semi series quesiton.....

I'm not with the tinfoil hat brigade but just gotta ask this.

Do you think its possible, however unlikely that we reall do have our
    own spaceships, just that they're hidden out of the way and used
    in a very clandestine manner to protect Earth?

And why would you want to keep it secret?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Sure we do, we've had them since the late 50's early 60's, and they've been pretty public. If you mean advanced spaceships with hyperspace and phasers, probably not but one could hope.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      Sure we do, we've had them since the late 50's early 60's, and they've been pretty public. If you mean advanced spaceships with hyperspace and phasers, probably not but one could hope.
      quoted for truth
      Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
      Check out my Flickr

Comment

Lol, the "space" (more correctly, 'orbit') technology we have today doesn't protect earth.

O'Neill: "Well, we have a number of... shuttles."
        Bra'tac: "These shuttles, they are a formidable craft?"

:-P

Comment

Well NASA is pursueing shield technology for their "long-distance" manned space journeys.

Comment

Im pretty sure we have shuttles with some sort of guns on them out there...or at least I think there is...

I maybe wrong here.
            Visit my Website

Comment

You're not a Reswell believer are you ???

I used to but I am not that sure any more

Comment

I'm not sure our shuttles technically could be considered "space travel worthy" vessels. If they left the protection of our Van Allen belts, the crews aboard our shuttles would be subjected to radiation that we currently don't have a way to shield against. The crews we sent to the moon were exposed to enough radiation that they could only make so many trips before being put in danger from radiation poisoning. That's one of the main concerns around sending crews back to the moon or to Mars.

And that's just the radiation inside our own heliopause....the radiation outside of our own system is (supposedly) even more deadly. Until we actually develop "energy shielding", our travel through space is going to be largely done by robotic probes.
                "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

Comment

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
                  You're not a Reswell believer are you ???

I used to but I am not that sure any more
                  What in my statement would lead you to believe that? I was talking about space shuttles and space capsules and such, I have no idea about Roswell I haven't seen enough evidence to convince me one way or the other.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

What in my statement would lead you to believe that? I was talking about space shuttles and space capsules and such, I have no idea about Roswell I haven't seen enough evidence to convince me one way or the other.

Just when you said late 50's and 60's I thought you meant something
                    other then the tiny one man capsules that NASA sent up. And the
                    late 50's they only used animals...

But watching BSG gee a lot of the stuff they use on the show down to
                    the ships looks very late 20th or early 21st level tech apart from the FTL

Comment

i think if the governments really wanted to build awesome spaceships, they could, but at the time being it is more financially viable to make atmospheric aircraft. everyone knows area 51 exists, everyone has seen the google earth photos, the US government is not even trying to cover it up. who knows, maybe there are crashed alien craft there, being studied, but i think what the USAF is learning it is incorperating into aircraft, not space craft... not yet anyway, who knows, in 30 years time there may be the first ever orbital war, then we'll see what everyone has
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

Heck the worlds goverments have had the technology to make viable interstellar spacecraft since the 50's... the Orion technology. If they REALLY wanted to we would all be riding repeated directed nuclear explosions at disturbing speeds to other stars.

Comment

well orion needed a bit more research, but if they'd used the orion prgram instead of appollo back in the 60's we'd definately be more spread out across the solar system, i wouldn't say orion was interstellar though, a lot more effective interplanetary however
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

sadly enough.......orion works best(eficyency) for earth orbit missions, that's why it never got off the ground... that and the hippies.

Comment

Well Orion has never been launched, although it wouldn't really surprise me to find out that the US has a few fully constructed and ready to launch encase an extinction level event is about to happen.

But as to the OP's original question.

It wouldn't surprise me much at all if tomorrow the US publicly stated that we have a base on Mar's or that aliens were real or that we had some truly advanced tech.

The US military's black budget is actually around 400 billion dollars per year. And has been for more than 10 years. NASA's budget runs less than 10 billion a year and is a public entity, meaning it is more expensive. The US could easily run a full space program bigger than NASA and hide it without any real problem.

A good rule of thumb told to me by a few people involved in black projects is that anything that the military publicly acknowledges possessing is at least 3 generations out of date. A superior weapons system is ready to go into full production, one superior to that is in the prototype phase, and one superior to that is in the planning phase.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it came out that the US had put up a Thor Shot system. The price tag for a full system is only like 500 billion, at least last time I heard real numbers for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X