Does Atlantis have a new gate address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Atlantis have a new gate address?

Now that Atlantis has moved planets does this mean they have a new gate address or just that there point of origin has changed when they dial out?

Logically, it would warrent a new gateaddress, since the 6 star systems pinpointing their location would've changed. They will also have a new point of origin.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Logically, it would warrent a new gateaddress, since the 6 star systems pinpointing their location would've changed. They will also have a new point of origin.
      Exactly. They are in a completly different section of space. The spacial cooridinates would no longer be valid not to mention the point of origin. It would be a completly new address since there was no gate there.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I thought as much. I had some jeans airbrushed with a stargate and the address to get to Atlantis from Earth. I guess they are now out of date but I think I will wear them anyway. Here is a picture of them http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd299/Shrap_photos/

Comment

Originally posted by shrap View Post
          I thought as much. I had some jeans airbrushed with a stargate and the address to get to Atlantis from Earth. I guess they are now out of date but I think I will wear them anyway. Here is a picture of them http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd299/Shrap_photos/
          Not bad and if not you could sell them on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            Nope, they'll have the same point of origin (the symbol at least), it's just that when they set off a correlative update, the network will change the location for that particular symbol...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              Nope, they'll have the same point of origin (the symbol at least), it's just that when they set off a correlative update, the network will change the location for that particular symbol...
              Not unless Mckay somehow alters the dialing system b/c from what I know to use that point of origin you would have to be on that planet. The origin symbol would have to be different. To quote Daniel Jackson from the season 1 finale Carter: "We launched or left orbit so..." Daniel:"The point of Origin isnt valid anymore."

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                Not unless Mckay somehow alters the dialing system b/c from what I know to use that point of origin you would have to be on that planet. The origin symbol would have to be different. To quote Daniel Jackson from the season 1 finale Carter: "We launched or left orbit so..." Daniel:"The point of Origin isnt valid anymore."
                Because the gate system hadn't updated yet, so the point of origin would have still been Earth. Every DHD has a unique symbol which is the point of origin, the points of origins update every now and then to compensate for stellar drift or being moved, it's the reason our gate could only go to the nearest planets at first, because we didn't have a DHD to keep our gate up to date. Atlantis will have a new 6 symbol address, but the seventh symbol will be the same.

Comment

Thats really good!

Comment

I-incredible...

Comment

I thought it was established the the PoO is just a symbol for telling the gate that the address is completely dialed, and to establish the wormhole. The Ancients just put them there for completion of dialing without the DHD and for decoration.

So... the PoO will always be the same for that gate, but the other 6 chevrons will most definetly change.

Comment

The PoO is a point in space, the gate needs it's own co-ordinates to connect the wormhole.

Comment

Actually, the PoO refers to the gate itself, not the point in space. Each gate has a unique PoO that never changes no matter where the gate is in the network. The only thing that changes if it is moved it the address that you need to dial to that gate.

This thread covers a lot of the PoO inconsitencies: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=22291
                          Some of the posts put a lot of reason to what is obviously a big plot hole that was left over from the original movie.

Comment

The PoO is the point in space. All of them are updated periodically and sent to each DHD to keep each gate's up to date, that's why originally the SGC could only gate to gates that were close by, because we didn't have a DHD so the gate didn't have accurate co-ordinates for the worlds that were too far away due to stellar drift.
                            Last edited by jenks; 12 October 2007, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Nope, it can't be. It has already been established, as well as shown, in the series that gates can be moved from one place or another. Especially in the cases in SG-1, the gates moved but the PoO always stayed the same. Its just a termination symbol that is local to that gate.

And, say, if it did get a new PoO according to your explanation, what would it be? Would the gate randomly generate a pattern of dots? This new planet doesn't have a Stargate (that we know of) so we have no idea what the PoO would be for that point in space.

The updates you speak of only happen in the Milky Way that we know of, but it would be safe to assume that the Pegasus ones do as well. However, they only send updates to fix the coordinate system to dial a destination address, not to update the PoO.

If you still do not understand where I am coming from, please read http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....2&postcount=65 as a reference to what I am talking about here. I don't want this to turn into a 12-page thread argueing about the PoO like it did in that one. :-)

Now I am open to the idea that the Pegasus gates, being more "digital" like in their makeup than their Milky Way cousins, could change their PoO since it is just a sequence of lights on the ring. However, I seriously doubt this because it would go against how the Milky Way gates work and they (so far) seem to follow the same protocol for operation; its just the Pegasus ones have been updated to look more asthetically pleasing.

Comment

Working...
                              X