The window.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The window.

I realised in this episode that the stained glass window in the control room that was smashed in first strike was replaced by just normal glass.

now although i quite liked the stained glass window i do think it's good how they haven't replaced it with a brand new one. instead they use normal glass which would obviously be cheaper to do making it a tad more realisitc in my opinion.

I know it's only a very minor point but still kudos to the set department for it.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

The Stargate program costs billions each year... and they're gonna go with normal glass instead of stained glass for budgetary reasons? Not that realistic (I doubt some numbercruncher's sitting somewhere saying "Let's save on the stained glass budget).

I, however, always thought it was funny Atlantis had stained glass that wasn't much sturdier than normal stained glass. These are the Ancients we're talking about, yet they favoured design before durability?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
      I, however, always thought it was funny Atlantis had stained glass that wasn't much sturdier than normal stained glass. These are the Ancients we're talking about, yet they favoured design before durability?
      We've seen many times that they didn't feel the need to build the city structurally strong etc because they always had the shield to rely on.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
        We've seen many times that they didn't feel the need to build the city structurally strong etc because they always had the shield to rely on.
        I very much doubt they kept the shield on at all times just for fun, even when they were in the Milky Way and there were no threats around.

And a large bird crashing into the window could break it.

Comment

I very much doubt they kept the shield on at all times just for fun, even when they were in the Milky Way and there were no threats around.

And a large bird crashing into the window could break it.
          Except that it wasn't a large bird crashing into a window, but a massive energy beam.
          Last edited by rarocks24; 12 October 2007, 07:02 AM.
          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
            Except that it wasn't a large bird crashing into a window, but a massive energy beam.
            If it looks like stained glass and it breaks like stained glass, then it probably is stained glass.

That or it's super-durable Ancient stained glass...

Comment

If it looks like stained glass and it breaks like stained glass, then it probably is stained glass.

That or it's super-durable Ancient stained glass...
              This opinion being based on your extensive experience of Ancient-design stained glass and it's durability when impacted by a sustained energy beam?
              sigpic

Comment

It wasn't even hit by the beam, IIRC. It was hit by a shockwave created by the beam.

Comment

Probally done to be more realistic. i.e. they had glass there but nothing to make the stained glass. So the used what they could. They're not gonna call Earth just for some glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Icedragon View Post
                    Probally done to be more realistic. i.e. they had glass there but nothing to make the stained glass. So the used what they could. They're not gonna call Earth just for some glass.
                    They had glass there?! What, do they have a stockpile of glass somewhere? And the equipment and expertise necessary to form it? Because not all windows are the same size, so they have to cut each piece of glass to fit the window in question.

No, they probably called Earth.

Comment

It wasn't even hit by the beam, IIRC. It was hit by a shockwave created by the beam.
                      It doesn't make that much of a difference. The beam was so powerful it would have depleted our ZPM in hours. To expect a shockwave capable of shattering glass is pretty evident.

And as for the stained glass issue on hand, the Ancients were pretty cosmetic when it came to their cities.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                        It doesn't make that much of a difference. The beam was so powerful it would have depleted our ZPM in hours. To expect a shockwave capable of shattering glass is pretty evident.

And as for the stained glass issue on hand, the Ancients were pretty cosmetic when it came to their cities.
                        No one's debating that it was logical that the glass would shatter. However, the question here is whether or not the glass is just normal glass or not. And a big bird smashing into a window would break it.

Comment

What are you all talking about? The stained glass windows were back, at least in "Reunion" they were, I'm sure of it, and I watched "Doppelganger" as well but didn't notice any regular glass.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                            What are you all talking about? The stained glass windows were back, at least in "Reunion" they were, I'm sure of it, and I watched "Doppelganger" as well but didn't notice any regular glass.

Vala,
                            You are correct. The glass is back.

Comment

I was too lazy to go back and check. I just assumed P-90_177 was correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X