Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: Horizon

STARGATE: HORIZON

Stargate: Horizon is a script based virtual spin off series. It takes place in the known Stargate universe, and is set shortly after the end of the Goa'uld war. It is conceived as a series to premiere after SG-1 finishes its run.

We are publishing episodes weekly; we also release special features for episodes every now and then, and very soon we hope to have 3D graphics and CG images for the episodes available. We've also just recently released our first original musical theme, and it's safe to say that many more will follow, including a main title theme. Currently there are ten people involved in the team behind Stargate: Horizon, and we are still growing. For more info, just visit our homepage on www.stargatehorizon.com.
    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 22 January 2005, 06:35 PM.
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Isn't this more appropriate in the Fan Fiction section, you know, like where you just posted about it as well?

Comment

This sounds like it will be a very cool and ambitious project! I look forward to the premiere!
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel John Grant
        Stargate: Horizon, the first fan-fiction spin-off (set after the premiere of Stargate: Atlantis) will be starting it's episode publishing on November 4 on GateWorld.
        Not wishing to get picky here, but I've been putting out my SG-7 series for several months now, the Gorgons series started up last month, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the first to write an SG-1 spin-off series (although it is possible I'm one of the first to have fan fiction written based on my fan fiction).

I'm just saying, 'first' is a bit of a claim.
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

It's certainly NOT the first fan-fiction series, I agree that sounds wrong. But what I meant was, it's PROBABLY the first to be written as scripts for one hour episodes (45 - 50 pages). Off course I could be mistaken. Sorry, if I am.... I don't want this to sound wrong. I'm well aware that there are a lot of GREAT fan-fiction stories and series out there. In fact, I've just had a look at the SG-7 series; I wasn't aware of that one until now. I think it's really great.
          Last edited by Alex Rubit; 04 November 2004, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks; you just caught me on a nit-picky day. I'll be sure to check out Horizons and see how you manage.

Comment

Actually, "virtual seasons" have been going on for a while. Can't say I've gotten deeply into any of 'em, but I'm sure that at least a few were script-based. Heck, SDJ did a virtual S6 just so they could have Daniel in it. And I know Cupid did a virtual season after the show got cannned. I've heard of others over the years. It's a fun if ambitious project and more power to you for the attempt, but I don't understand the need to bill it as "first" or "unique". If it's good enough, people will read it no matter what. The fact that it's a spinoff of Stargate should be enough of a hook without any additional pumping up needed. Let the stories stand on their own merits.

EDIT: OK, realising "virtual season" and "virtual spinoff" aren't quite the same, but as Prophet said, it still isn't a unique concept. And as far as I'm concerned, virtual seasons ARE a spinoff.

Comment

there have been other virtual seasons.

the sdj one that shadow mentioned, Laura Jo did one that un-did heroes. There was one set s6 where the events of Meridian never happened (that one sorta died)
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

OLD POST - deleted because not up to date.
                  Last edited by Alex Rubit; 22 January 2005, 06:39 PM.

Comment

If it had McKay or Jonas in it, I might be able to do something, but they're the only two characters I'm comfortable writing.

Comment

Okay; I had a skim of your homepage and there's something I noticed: I have no idea what your lead character looks like or how old he is, but I know that you have not one but two female characters who are in their twenties yet precociously skilled, and one of whom is an explicitly sexy alien chick. I also note there is a wise old alien.

The fact that the bad guys are lizard men and have a Q in their names is worrying enough in itself, even if they weren't called the Draque (dra-kway?) and served mysterious employers who look like mobile shadows - with red eyes no less.

I'm not saying you deliberately ripped anything off here, nor even that a little ripping off is a bad thing, but in the space of a page you've got seven or eight of the major SF cliches turning up. These may be matters to address, particularly as a few minor changes would make so much difference. Still, at least you don't have a fifteen year old science prodigy on the team.

Also, if the team is international, the SGC probably isn't USAF anymore and you should definitely try for an international flavour, more akin to Atlantis than SG-1: Think IASA, rather than NASA. You might think about making one of the leads something other than American and there should almost certainly be some international recurring characters. If the Stargate is public and the SGC has members from many countries, it would probably be a UN- or NATO-derived body - even if still US led - explicitly responsible for the Stargate programme and with a multinational security and expeditionary force with a status and hierarchy equivalent to UN Peacekeeping forces.

On the upside, this is definitely an ambitious project and you do have some good ideas in there. In particular, the negative Ancients is a concept that has legs and I certainly hope that you can make it run.

I hope this hasn't come across as too critical, ut I think that there are a few major flaws in the basement level of a potentially interesting project which, left unchecked, will grow and reduce the thing to the level of farce. If you can cut down on the cliches and bring yourself to add ten years to at least one of your female leads, I think this bird might just fly.

Comment

To be honest, the general tone of the advertisement, and the fact that you felt the need to spam Gateworld about it really turned me off and made my chance of being interested in it just about zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                          but I know that you have not one but two female characters who are in their twenties yet precociously skilled, and one of whom is an explicitly sexy alien chick. I also note there is a wise old alien.
                          Oooo, bad. Bad bad bad. I hadn't actually gotten around to checking the site out yet, but I can say that that right there is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Precocious teenyboppers whose purpose is to be a female with "skills" rather than a skilled character who also happens to be female. *sigh* It's one of the most aggravating cliches in ANY fandom, but particularly scifi. Is the Wise Old Alien also enigmatic? Speaks in riddles or talks about some ancient book of knowledge/ancient ways? The brainy bimbos, though, that tells me this project is definitely male-oriented. *sigh*

Those poor Dracs get recycled all the time, don't they? Might be interesting to see some kind of scifi spoof about a lizard-people who rebel against unfair stereotyping of their people.

I'll lead the rebellion against unfair stereotyping of Shadows, myself.

Anti-Ascended, nega-Glowies, whatever you want to call them, I LOVE this idea. I've actually expected them to show up on Stargate. Either in connection with Anubis or as the Wraith. Alas, neither option seems viable now, but someone dealing with it would be fun.

Are these... casting problems things that could be fixed now, or is it already too late? I know there's something to be said for taking stereotypes and twisting them into something new, and I guess I'll have to skim over the project to see just how bad it is, but speaking only for myself, there are few things I loathe more than a female character topheavy with unlikely skills and other endowments.

There's that, too, MF. Multiple messages about it in various folders... very much not necessary. The advertising leaves much to be desired and if the product itself doesn't match up...

Bah. Whatever. Good luck with it, but I think I'm gonna skip it. Too much effort.

Comment

Well, what's been published so far is only a little intro, to give people an idea what it's all about. Changes are pretty likely, which is the whole reason why the pilot is not gonna be ready for publishing before November 4 (first Thursday in November).

I can assure everyone that the name Draque is not stolen from anywhere; if there in fact are aliens, which sound similar it's coincedence. I haven't seen all sci-fi shows out there (so it's possible). But I do like the idea of reptilian aliens (worked pretty well on Star Trek: Enterprise - Season 3). This is although also not ripped off, because as I've said I began working on this two years ago before the reptilians showed up on Enterprise. I agree ripping off is not neccecarily a bad thing; the key of making it work anyway is to not hide it. (Just have a character mention the movie it's from, which can be quite funny.)
                            These shadow beings, which are described will be named in one of the upcoming episodes. In the pilot they only appear briefly and are not named (Shadow Appearance is merely what one of them is called in the script). There are some interesting ideas about their origin, conections to the Ancientes, which are going to be explored.

Regarding the characters; I have even given it some thought which actors I'd like to play them, if this were in fact a real show. And, here's a surprise; the ideal guy to play Colonel Grant I believe is none other than Kiefer Sutherland (so that gives you an idea of what he looks like). He's the one I'd try to get if I were actually hiring actors and if he were available. I've also got some casting ideas for the other characters. Also there are several INTERNATIONAL reoccuring characters, that are not mentioned among the leading characters.

I appreceate everyone's oppinion and comments (if good or bad), and as you see I'll take the time and try to adress them all. I realize it's hard to really know what to make of this, without yet having a chance to read an episode. But I assure you it will be out as soon as possible. Is this advertising thing all a little early? I personally don't think so; because it's also an ideal way to find people who might be willing to join this project. If you become a writer on the show and get familiar with it, you're certainly gonna have something to say; it's not like you won't be able to make desicions regarding stories or anything. I hope this can become a collaborative project with plenty of talented people giving their input.
                            You'll also see that (unlike if it might sound like it) we try to avoid cliches, and if there is a cliche one of the characters themselves might just mention it (as O'Neill does so well). If you listen to audio commentaries on the Stargate DVDs, as I do, you'll notice that that's the writers/producers/directors themselves say that's just the way to make it work. If something like that were to come up, don't hide it. Use it to bring in some humor. The whole idea of making a show like this work, is to not having it taking itself TOO serious. The characters on Stargate can be in a life threatening, dangerous situation, but still somehow be funny every now and then. That's the way this show is gonna be as well. I've learned a lot from listening to all these commentaries. They're like my education for script writing and production.

And (ShadowMaat) the wise alien does NOT speak in riddles (although he sometimes has a funny way of talking). The characters are focused on their skills, not on their looks. The fact that some might be attracktive doesn't have to be bad, I think. And this show is definately NOT male oriented.

(Major Fisher) I agree that posting it in different folders was not neccacary; it was the first time I ever posted something here, so no harsh feelings. I will do better from now on.
                            Last edited by Alex Rubit; 11 October 2004, 01:54 PM.

Comment

sounds really awesome (i just read the thing about it) and i cant wait to read, maybe even help write the scripts. ive always had a thing for writing.

the character names are really cool. the name thomas galloway is my favorite.

like i said, cant wait

dont you think that draque kind of sounds like wraith?
                              ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X