The best thing that happened in 'Lifeline'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best thing that happened in 'Lifeline'

There were both bad and good things to be said about 'Lifeline'.

The bad things first.
    During the previous season, i had become more and more unhappy about the
    uneven power balance in the Pegasus galaxy: the SGA team had extremely
    powerful enemies and no friendly races at all. Even if the humans are the fifth
    race and have great potential, the truth is that the SGA team always survives
    thanks to incredible amounts of luck.
    This makes some of the plots a little too exaggerated for my taste .

I had this feeling in 'Lifeline' as well : the team has escaped too easily from an
    impossible situation.

For instance: the fact that dr. Weir is able to control her nanites in such a fine grade
    that allows her to totally hack into the Asuran mainframes.
    I can conceive that McKay connects his laptop to the nanites and uses them as
    proxy for connecting further to the mainframes .
    But I can't conceive that the human brain can instantly learn how to intuitively control
    and interact with the nanites. In just a few seconds.
    This is exactly as if i were connecting an usb stick to my fingers with some wires
    and i were starting to read e-books directly from there !

The good things:
    However, I am happy to forget about the exaggerated plot twists because the
    writers have managed to significantly improve the city's strategic position in
    only 3 episodes:
    - the location of Atlantis is now unknown to others
    - the bad ones will probably be at war with each other
    - the city is properly fueled with energy

On conclusion : i am finally seeing a less exaggerated power balance in the
    Pegasus galaxy. Now i'll be able to accept more easily that the SGA team
    sneaks around unnoticed while the bad guys are busy with their war.

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post

For instance: the fact that dr. Weir is able to control her nanites in such a fine grade
    But I can't conceive that the human brain can instantly learn how to intuitively control
    This is exactly as if i were connecting an usb stick to my fingers with some wires

The good things:
    However, I am happy to forget about the exaggerated plot twists because the
    writers have managed to significantly improve the city's strategic position in
    only 3 episodes:
    - the location of Atlantis is now unknown to others
    - the bad ones will probably be at war with each other
    - the city is properly fueled with energy

On conclusion : i am finally seeing a less exaggerated power balance in the
    Pegasus galaxy. Now i'll be able to accept more easily that the SGA team
    sneaks around unnoticed while the bad guys are busy with their war.

Well if you remember Daniel Jackson was able to control the Replicator collective when he was linked to Rep Carter in Reckoning just through concentration of his mind, and considering that the Pegasus replicators are really the same in many ways then it is possible for Weir to do that as she was linked to Oberoth who in Pegusus terms is the same as Rep Carter.

I agree that Season 4 should be interesting with the new location and everything (I want to see that snake monster on the mainland they were talking about).

I think they could have stolen more than one ZPM though, they had a great opportunity to get as much as they could because they couldn't be detected until they went for the computer core.
    Betrayed

Comment

and i were starting to read e-books directly from there !
      If McKays laptop can control the Asuran mainframe, then why not Weirs brain. A human brain is a million times more powerful than a laptop. It is also much better at adapting to new problems and situations, whereas a laptop would stop at the first unexpecting thing that happened.

On top of this, Weir is pretty smart, and already speaks about 100 languages, so she must be good at communication. And the organic nature of her brain may be something the Asurans have simply not encountered before. They could be good at dealing with the rigorous logic of a computer, but completely flummoxed by the emotion and imagination of a human brain.

Comment

i will qoute what a great mind once said

" space is quite vast"
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
          i will qoute what a great mind once said

" space is quite vast"
          buahahahaha! good one.
          sigpic

Sam Carter Tribute

Comment

The replicators can use their beaming weapon to destroy the wraith from their own home. Who needs to leave the couch now?

Comment

Originally posted by Bakhesh View Post
              On top of this, Weir is pretty smart, and already speaks about 100 languages...
              She speaks five languages, six if you include Ancient.
              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by InUtero View Post
                Well if you remember Daniel Jackson was able to control the Replicator collective when he was linked to Rep Carter in Reckoning just through concentration of his mind, and considering that the Pegasus replicators are really the same in many ways then it is possible for Weir to do that as she was linked to Oberoth who in Pegusus terms is the same as Rep Carter.

I agree that Season 4 should be interesting with the new location and everything (I want to see that snake monster on the mainland they were talking about).

I think they could have stolen more than one ZPM though, they had a great opportunity to get as much as they could because they couldn't be detected until they went for the computer core.
                I think Daniel was able to control the reps because of the Ancient Knowledge that Repla-Carter was retrieving from his mind. He was learning as she was learning and used that knowledge to gain temporary control.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAccended View Post
                  I think Daniel was able to control the reps because of the Ancient Knowledge that Repla-Carter was retrieving from his mind. He was learning as she was learning and used that knowledge to gain temporary control.
                  Mabey but he was connected to the subspace link due to Replicarter having him in "her" world. Weir has milions of nanites in her blood the same kind that make up the Asurans and as someone else pointed out the human brain is a more effective computer than anyone could build. Weir was able to manipulate him because of that.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakhesh View Post
                    If McKays laptop can control the Asuran mainframe, then why not Weirs brain. A human brain is a million times more powerful than a laptop. It is also much better at adapting to new problems and situations, whereas a laptop would stop at the first unexpecting thing that happened.

Stating that "the human brain is more powerful than a laptop" is an
                    over-simplification because the human brain and a computer are
                    totally different things, with different origin and different purpose.

Unlike the human brain, a computer:
                    - shines at raw calculations
                    - does not understand the meaning of the data that it is processing
                    - it needs clear, step-by-step instructions
                    - doesn't think
                    - is much faster
                    - is completely incapable to do most of the things that are natural for
                    a human being to do (interpreting sound and images, speaking, etc).

In comparision, the human brain is amazing , but is very limited at
                    calculations and raw speed.
                    Last edited by HyperspaceDaemon; 15 October 2007, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Stating that "the human brain is more powerful than a laptop" is an
                      over-simplification because the human brain and a computer are
                      totally different things, with different origin and different purpose.

Unlike the human brain, a computer:
                      - shines at raw calculations
                      - does not understand the meaning of the data that it is processing
                      - it needs clear, step-by-step instructions
                      - doesn't think
                      - is much faster
                      - is completely incapable to do most of the things that are natural for
                      a human being to do (interpreting sound and images, speaking, etc).

In comparision, the human brain is amazing , but is very limited at
                      calculations and raw speed.
                      If you have ever had to write the programs for the computer, you wouldnt think that. The Human Brain is adaptive. A computer ONLY does what a person has told it to do. Everything a computer does has to be conceived by the brain of a human first. I remember once I watched a show where a Mathematician calculated a sum times itself an unset number of times faster than the calculator the other guy was holding could just by pressing equals over and over. Our brains are far more capable of doing things than you seem to want to accept. You could be holding yourself back!

That said, there is no set definition about how nanites work. They put her in an imaginary world. Its fair to say this kind of mental connection with the nanites was always to be expected.
                      : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                      : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
                        If you have ever had to write the programs for the computer, you wouldnt think that.
                        Actually, I am writing computer programs. Daily.

That's why I'm saying that the two are not comparable : the brain is not a "powerful
                        computer". And a computer is not "a pathetic brain".

The computer is not supposed to duplicate what the human brain can do. It is
                        created to aid with certain data processing that are hard to do mentally or can't be
                        done at all by the brain.

The Human Brain is adaptive. A computer ONLY does what a person has told it to do. Everything a computer does has to be conceived by the brain of a human first. I remember once I watched a show where a Mathematician calculated a sum times itself an unset number of times faster than the calculator the other guy was holding could just by pressing equals over and over. Our brains are far more capable of doing things than you seem to want to accept. You could be holding yourself back!
                        Oh yea? How fast can a human calculate the md5 sum of my "password" ? Or
                        create the HTTP, TCP, IP and ethernet data packets necessary for sending this posting
                        to the forum.gateworld.net server ? Or watch the favourite SGA episode by reading
                        the avi in hexadecimal and decode it mentally ?

Your example refers to a specific way of multiplying certain kinds of numbers. The
                        comparision is unfair: the computer is using the slow standard algorithm but the
                        mathematician is using a completely different, optimized, one. If the computer
                        was programmed to use the same optimized algorithm you can be sure that
                        the mathematician had no chance to calculate faster...

On the whole, the brain is superior. But not when it comes to speed and calculations.

That said, there is no set definition about how nanites work. They put her in an imaginary world. Its fair to say this kind of mental connection with the nanites was always to be expected.
                        That's true : debating what's possible in a SF show is often a waste of time because
                        it depends on what the authors want to make possible.

Yet, the idea of instant learning how to control some nanites simply doesn't fly
                        for me. It's too convenient for the plot .
                        Not to mention that the Asurans have no kind of authentication or security in
                        place - which is laughable.

Comment

Actually, I am writing computer programs. Daily.

That's why I'm saying that the two are not comparable : the brain is not a "powerful
                          computer". And a computer is not "a pathetic brain".

The computer is not supposed to duplicate what the human brain can do. It is
                          created to aid with certain data processing that are hard to do mentally or can't be
                          done at all by the brain.
                          Then you understand that its not fast until you get to the other end and have a working program.

Oh yea? How fast can a human calculate the md5 sum of my "password" ? Or
                          create the HTTP, TCP, IP and ethernet data packets necessary for sending this posting
                          to the forum.gateworld.net server ? Or watch the favourite SGA episode by reading
                          the avi in hexadecimal and decode it mentally ?

Your example refers to a specific way of multiplying certain kinds of numbers. The
                          comparision is unfair: the computer is using the slow standard algorithm but the
                          mathematician is using a completely different, optimized, one. If the computer
                          was programmed to use the same optimized algorithm you can be sure that
                          the mathematician had no chance to calculate faster...

On the whole, the brain is superior. But not when it comes to speed and calculations.
                          How does a computer get the "same optimized algorithm"? Its a function of a man's brain - not a program. Considering the guy had to verbalize every result, that slow calculator should have been able to keep up.

That's true : debating what's possible in a SF show is often a waste of time because
                          it depends on what the authors want to make possible.

Yet, the idea of instant learning how to control some nanites simply doesn't fly
                          for me. It's too convenient for the plot .
                          Not to mention that the Asurans have no kind of authentication or security in
                          place - which is laughable.
                          The "control" you spoke of in the first post, was not Weir hacking the mainframe. Her nanites are linked to the mainframe - always had been. Thats why Shep said No to using them to save Weir. McKay had to stop them transmitting to the asurans to save her life.
                          Then McKay, who is smart with these things, used that link to hack the mainframe, not Weir.
                          Finally, I doubt the Asurans expect people to infiltrate them that way, they are after all, arrogant - so lack of authentication seems reasonable. That, or McKay hacked his way through that as well.

You are crediting weir with far too much. McKay did it all, including reconnect her to the nanite network.
                          : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                          : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
                            Then you understand that its not fast until you get to the other end and have a working program.

How does a computer get the "same optimized algorithm"? Its a function of a man's brain - not a program. Considering the guy had to verbalize every result, that slow calculator should have been able to keep up.
                            A computer needs to be programmed with both algorithms and with criteria for
                            choosing the best algorithm for a particular pair of numbers to be multiplied.
                            There is no such thing as "self-programming" computer, except in SF.

The "control" you spoke of in the first post, was not Weir hacking the mainframe. Her nanites are linked to the mainframe - always had been.
                            Not at all ... they've been disabled (like in "powered off") for a long time.

Thats why Shep said No to using them to save Weir. McKay had to stop them transmitting to the asurans to save her life.
                            Then McKay, who is smart with these things, used that link to hack the mainframe, not Weir.
                            Finally, I doubt the Asurans expect people to infiltrate them that way, they are after all, arrogant - so lack of authentication seems reasonable. That, or McKay hacked his way through that as well.

You are crediting weir with far too much. McKay did it all, including reconnect her to the nanite network.
                            I'm wondering whether we've watched the same episode.
                            Weir did not stand still (as a proxy) while McKay was "hacking" the network with
                            his tablet .

But instead : McKay has reconfigured the nanites to be unable to take control of Weir
                            and then re-enabled them to connect to the Asuran network.
                            After this, Weir was the one who started to visiualize the city , give step-by-step
                            instructions to the team, and even play games with the mind of the Asuran leader on
                            his own ground . So, I am indeed crediting dr.Weir for a lot of what happened in that
                            episode.

Comment

I liked the bit when Shepherd refers to the nanites as little b@stards.

I hope that this season really is darker than the previous ones, I want more action, more blood, more gore, basically more everything...

Comment

Working...
                              X