PDA

View Full Version : Oberoth... why are there large human form replicators?

youngjediboy
October 8th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I don't know if it's been asked before... but I was just wondering. I guess the bad guy in charge has to stand out in some way. They didn't use the 'evil mustache' but went with a [mod snip] instead?

gange57
October 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Too many nanite cookies with transfat?

prion
October 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I wondered that myself. If they can create themselves, why don't we have a seas of Brad Pitts, or Joe Flanigans? ;) Unless they're not vain like us humans, and just copied faces/images from an Ancient database??

Mattathias2.0
October 8th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Because they emulate Ancients who were not perfect.

rarocks24
October 8th, 2007, 04:34 PM
A whole race of Brad Pitts...

Why does this conversation remind me in some way of that scene in John Malkovich when John Malkovich goes into John Malkovich?

parisindy
October 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
whats wrong with being fat?

rarocks24
October 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Oberoth has a secret RP fantasy.

he wants to be Santa

AutumnDream
October 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
whats wrong with being fat?

Unhealthy, impractical.

ToasterOnFire
October 8th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Wouldn't excess weight on an Asuran be an impractical use of nanites?

WingedPegasus
October 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Wouldn't excess weight on an Asuran be an impractical use of nanites?

Not unless he could use the extra ones to repair minimal structural damage to a ship. :D

I think the person who said they're emulating the Ancients is probably right.

Mana
October 8th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Hmm. Season 3, Ep. 5

. . . We have achieved much since our second birth. We have evolved to take the form of our creators . . .

So, it would be safe to ascertain that they have taken the forms of ancients in a database. ^^

Ltcolshepjumper
October 8th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Oberoth= Moros/Merlin + FAT

andromeda_dan
October 8th, 2007, 06:13 PM
replicators are believers in equal opportunity body type emulation and distribution;)

youngjediboy
October 9th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Hmm. Season 3, Ep. 5
So, it would be safe to ascertain that they have taken the forms of ancients in a database. ^^

Actually, on this note... if they are taking forms of actual Ancients in a database, do they take anything more than just how they look? How about personalities or memories? Like someone else mentioned that Oberoth is like Merlin + fat... but would there possibly be an Asuran Merlin running around too? That wouldn't be good!

Agent_Dark
October 9th, 2007, 05:14 AM
I doubt the physical appearance of a human body affects a replicator in the slightest...

AGateFan
October 9th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Fat and bald?
Fat would seem an unnecessary use of nanites, but then so does hair and they sure grew it back on Weir quickely enough.

Could be the database thing, which begs to question why wouldnt the Ancients with all their knowledge be living healthier lifestyles...and is there no cure to baldness......Wait, maybe the original intention of nanites was to cure baldness.

(*One could assume the Ancients had evolved beyond the obessive interest in personal apperance but as they are fairly arrogant I doubt it.)

Actionhank
October 9th, 2007, 07:44 AM
The answer is easy: Fat people make good bad guys. :D

Honestly: I think they don't care about the outward experience too much. Maybe they have a hierarchic structure - the thicker the higher the rank. Explanation? Hmmm, maybe they can carry more nanites with them that way. More nanites, more computing power (=more intelligent) or whatever...

Homeslice55
October 9th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I agree. Bad guys are great when they are either:

Dark and mysterious: Baal

Fat and Akward: Oberoth

** I am a little "big boned" myself, and it does have its advantages. I am always warm, even in the winter. I can look really intimidating and mean - therefore, people don't mess with me. Also, I can make really big "belly flops" in a pool.

Actionhank
October 9th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Not to forget: Nerus and Anubis (I mean the "ascended appearance" with Daniel in the Cafe).

Homeslice55
October 9th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Not to forget: Nerus and Anubis (I mean the "ascended appearance" with Daniel in the Cafe).

Good call, i forgot about that!

wise one
October 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM
its not like he has feelings

actaully i could be wrong since he gets angry

maybe he grabs himself and throw nanite blobs at people

Actionhank
October 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM
its not like he has feelings

actaully i could be wrong since he gets angry

maybe he grabs himself and throw nanite blobs at people
You mean like a low-tech Borg? :D

Ltcolshepjumper
October 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM

** I am a little "big boned" myself, and it does have its advantages. I am always warm, even in the winter. I can look really intimidating and mean - therefore, people don't mess with me. Also, I can make really big "belly flops" in a pool.

Okay....
Back to Oberoth- I think he wanted to be distinguished from the others. Actually, if that's how he started out, fat, then I assume his nanites must have decided that fat was the way to go.

padr49904
October 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Ok they said they took the form of their creators and not all the ancients were skinny probably. Mabe all the replicators we see now, there form was once of an ancient that lived in atlantis.

Mabe thats the reason they tried to wipe them out the replicators were mean and liked to mimmick them like a little kid mimmicks an older sibling to make them angry.

AutumnDream
October 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM
The Asurans were created by man
They evolved
They rebelled
There are many copies
And they have a plan

Lord batchi ball
October 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Maybe the head Asurans can choose what they look like and he wanted to look different .

Or..........he could be a great actor that works very well as a evil villian and he is a little over weight.

I wonder..............

Daniel Jackson
October 9th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I don't know if it's been asked before... but I was just wondering. I guess the bad guy in charge has to stand out in some way. They didn't use the 'evil mustache' but went with a fat guy instead?
I was wondering the exact same thing. I'm fat, but if I were made of nanites, I'd make myself look like a young Tom Cruise or some other handsome dude. Perhaps Oberoth is based on a fat ancient? ;)

Darren
October 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Not to be excessively politically correct here, but please keep in mind the forum's rule about respecting the show's actors in this thread. This can be an interesting discussion topic, but let's avoid terms like "fat guy." I think we can talk about this with a little more tact than that.

Thanks.

DocumentN
October 10th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Not to be excessively politically correct here, but please keep in mind the forum's rule about respecting the show's actors in this thread. This can be an interesting discussion topic, but let's avoid terms like "fat guy." I think we can talk about this with a little more tact than that.

Thanks.
So, what should we say? Is there any reason to suspect that he'd object to that particular term, when many other people don't? It seems pretty innocuous to me; I certainly wouldn't have classified it as "criticizing".

Homeslice, Jackson, parisindy? Any backup here?

Mattathias2.0
October 10th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I agree with Darren.

I also think some forum members could take offense to it as well. And we should all be showing some respect to others: actors on the show, and other forum members alike.

jenks
October 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
If we tried to censor everything that some user might find offensive then we'd probably never get to say anything at all...

Mana
October 10th, 2007, 08:58 PM

Thanks.

I concur. I believe the politically correct term is "obese." Another slightly less offensive term is "overweight." :3

Daniel Jackson
October 10th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Thanks.
Darren, I am fat, and I do not find the term "fat guy" to be offensive. Relax. :)

I concur. I believe the politically correct term is "obese."
I do find this offensive, but that doesn't mean I'm going to tell people what they can and cannot say. Telling people they can't say something because it might offend someone is very PC and annoying as well. I offend people sometimes, and they sometimes offend me. The adult response is to just let it go if it's not mallicious.

majorsal
October 10th, 2007, 09:16 PM
i'm thinking oberoth was overweight because of the *wonderful actor they chose to portray him* happened to be.

sally :hammond04:

Daniel Jackson
October 10th, 2007, 09:25 PM
That's deffinately the real world answer. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if one is fat or not. I mean, really. If you don't have health problems, it doesn't matter. Being described as fat isn't offensive. Being called fat and laughed at is. Big difference. ;)

PG15
October 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Please. The large body frame of David Ogden Stiers is filled with AWESOME, not fat.

AGateFan
October 11th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Yes the actor is awesome but its still a logical question. It seems like the unnecessary excess would be as inefficient for a machine as it is for any living being (unless you in for a long cycle of minimal resources, like a bear or something). The machine would be better at controlling that excess and if they are programmed off the personalities of Ancients wouldnt the excess be seen in a more negative light? I mean if overweight was in style for Ancients wouldnt more of them be so? So if its not in style then one would think the basic personality template would have them be not so fond of it. Of course if Oby is based of a specific person (like the doctor from Voyager) then the imperfections in the design would make much more sense.

jenks
October 11th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Considering they're made out of nanites, I don't see how a bigger Asuran would be less efficient anyway...

Defiant
October 11th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Thought they just evolved over time like the one's in the Alpa system

http://gateworld.net/omnipedia/characters/links/fifth.shtml

KnightCrusader
October 11th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Well he is the leader of the Asurans, so maybe he wants to make sure he can communicate with all the others so he has a larger "concentration" of nanites on his body than the others do. Plus, wouldn't the extra nanites give him more collective strength and power over the skinny ones?

Actionhank
October 11th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Well he is the leader of the Asurans, so maybe he wants to make sure he can communicate with all the others so he has a larger "concentration" of nanites on his body than the others do. Plus, wouldn't the extra nanites give him more collective strength and power over the skinny ones?
That's what I meant. I agree if they ever want to explain it in the series then this would be a way to go...

Besides - I wrote the term fat because it was in the thread title - no pun intended :)

youngjediboy
October 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Wow, I can't believe the term "fat" got censored...
Of course there was no offense intended... but I'm sure that fat is a completely accurate and valid adjective. "Large" is such a vague word... and could mean that he's a giant or really tall or muscular, etc. If you have to be so PC, let's be REALLY specific and change "large" to "above average weight." :P

Anyway, back to the topic...
I was thinking about the replicator logic... since if you remember back in SG-1 when they met their first group of human form replicators, 5th was considered weak for having emotions (like humans do). So following that logic, wouldn't they consider a larger than average weighted body to be inefficient and therefore weak? Doesn't seem like a good choice for the leader. If anything, shouldn't the leader take on some kinda large and muscled Herculean physique to stand out?

Of course I do agree that the actor is awesome and plays villains very well!

Sauron18
October 16th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Wow, I can't believe the term "fat" got censored...
Of course there was no offense intended... but I'm sure that fat is a completely accurate and valid adjective. "Large" is such a vague word... and could mean that he's a giant or really tall or muscular, etc. If you have to be so PC, let's be REALLY specific and change "large" to "above average weight." :P

Anyway, back to the topic...
I was thinking about the replicator logic... since if you remember back in SG-1 when they met their first group of human form replicators, 5th was considered weak for having emotions (like humans do). So following that logic, wouldn't they consider a larger than average weighted body to be inefficient and therefore weak? Doesn't seem like a good choice for the leader. If anything, shouldn't the leader take on some kinda large and muscled Herculean physique to stand out?

Of course I do agree that the actor is awesome and plays villains very well!

Well, there's two problems with the "replicator logic" you present there:

a) Those were replicators, not Asurans, and they are very different creatures in more ways than just culturally.

b) Fifth's probelm dealt with emotions, the mind, which affects and controls how everything else works. Oberoth may have a unique body frame amongst Asurans, but we've definitely seen that it does not hinder him in any way. If anything it makes him look more....grandfatherly.

I would really like it if we got an episode where the finer points of Asuran culture and science were touched upon, perhaps from an imprisoned Weir's point of view? We certainly know very little of how their general lives are like....

RanCorX2
October 21st, 2007, 04:52 PM

haha, he reminded me of goldfinger...

/off topic

watch STNG 4x22 the actor who plays Oberoth is in that episode, i'm watching it atm, he's was a bit larger back then, but he wasn't evil.

from IMDB:

# "Star Trek: The Next Generation" .... Timicin (1 episode, 1991)
... aka Star Trek: TNG (USA: promotional abbreviation)
- Half a Life (1991) TV Episode .... Timicin

Merlin's_Legacy
October 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Here's a few things to consider... Way back when being "large" was a sign of wealth and power. They didn't realize it wasn't healthy.

Now consider the ancients... The only major health problem they had to worry about was the virus and external physical violence. Maybe some of the ancients tended to follow old traditions and kept themselves large as sor tof a status symbol.

Now as far as replicators are concerned, they could simply be mimicking the Ancients who were following those old traditions. They could also be simply creating diversity among their race to mimic the diversity of humans in the galaxy.

Being large for a replicator could also be a defense mechanism. If a person doesn't know he's a replicator then they think he's just an un-athletic guy that won't be too much of threat.

Could also be that since Oberoth is sort of in charge, maybe he requires more "digital mass" to provide extra processing power, communications linkage, or whatever to keep in contact with/manage all aspects of the collective.

rushy
August 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
I think the Replicators just replicated random people(not real Ancients from the database but similar) and they don't care about fatness whatsoever.

garhkal
August 3rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Actually, on this note... if they are taking forms of actual Ancients in a database, do they take anything more than just how they look? How about personalities or memories? Like someone else mentioned that Oberoth is like Merlin + fat... but would there possibly be an Asuran Merlin running around too? That wouldn't be good!

Or worse, an asuran who emulated that scientist..

Here's a few things to consider... Way back when being "large" was a sign of wealth and power. They didn't realize it wasn't healthy.

Very true.. Romans felt being chubby was a sign of power..