PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Mini-Series?

Liam Kincaid
October 7th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I don't know if this is the right section for starting this thread, but what about the idea of producing Stargate mini-series for Sci-Fi as another way of continueing the SG-1 story? They could be like 5 or 6 episodes long and based upon a single story line. Some possible ideas for stories would be perhaps, Loki having survived the Asgard suicide, the Tokra story, Tealc and the new Jaffa nation, Jack going back in time to save his son, or really anything at all from the past or future of the SG-1 universe.

P.S.
I give up any claim to any of those ideas if the are ever actually used. (I think everyone should add a disclaimer like that when posting suggestions that they would like TPTB to really do.)

kirmit
October 7th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I think it would've been a better idea to do a miniseries to finish off the Ori storyline than a movie. Mind you a movie means alot more money, so likely bigger, better action :D. I also hear the movies were delayed so they'd have the best possible cgi, so big movie quality I reckon, with a miniseries it'll just be like more episodes so just the usual standard.

Freekzilla
October 7th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I don't know if this is the right section for starting this thread, but what about the idea of producing Stargate mini-series for Sci-Fi as another way of continueing the SG-1 story? They could be like 5 or 6 episodes long and based upon a single story line. Some possible ideas for stories would be perhaps, Loki having survived the Asgard suicide, the Tokra story, Tealc and the nee Jaffa nation, Jack going back in time to save his son, or really anything at all from the past or future of the SG-1 universe.

P.S.
I give up any claim to any of those ideas if the are ever actually used. (I think everone should add a disclaimer like that when posting suggestions that they would like TPTB to really do.)

I actually have thought of something like this before. Although, my idea was not as limited in scope or duration. I've tried to look for ways and benefits for doing something like this, everything from production costs and actor availability to plot possibilities. I've worked out something that would be quite cost efficient because it reuses some existing sets, some stock footage, and most importantly would expand the SG universe immensely. The best part is that it would give a fantastic way to keep the SG-1 DVD movies going. I am currently putting together a presentation and looking for an opprtunity to present it to MGM Execs. I'm not going to divulge my idea because it is so brilliant, IMHO. I honestly believe it would give the SG franchise enough range and flexibility to go for another 20 years non stop easily. The only problem I am having is finding a way to present my idea to the right people. :S

Platschu
October 7th, 2007, 09:55 AM
We don't need mini-series. They should order more DVD-film at least 2 per year! :o

Freekzilla
October 7th, 2007, 10:21 AM
We don't need mini-series. They should order more DVD-film at least 2 per year! :o

You can only accomplish so much in a DVD movie. The franchise is more than just the DVD movies, and it could be much more with my idea. Also, a mini-series doesn't necessarily have to be about SG-1.

Platschu
October 7th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Okay, but the DVD-films are not Stargate SG-1 : Ark of Truth, but Stargate : Ark of Truth. The movies will be 90-110 minutes long. I hoped that they will be 2*90 minutes long like Farscape : Peacekeeper Wars, but 100 minutes have to be enough to tell interesting scifi stories in SG universe. :)

What type of mini-series should they make? Stargate : Nox, Stargate : Rhee'tou, Stargate : Asgard, Stargate : Haaken or something totally new, but I have to say again, these stories can be made as a DVD-film too. They should make them with SG-1, Atlantis and Universe actors, because they live in a common fictional world, so they should work together to save the galaxies. :D

Daniel Jackson
October 7th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Why make a mini-series when there are movies in development? I've yet to see a good mini-series, so I am glad they are making movies instead. Besides, wouldn't a mini-series effectively be three or four 90-minute movies aired over the coarse of a week? I'd much rather have 2-hour movies on a bigger budget, each with their own story.

Freekzilla
October 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Okay, but the DVD-films are not Stargate SG-1 : Ark of Truth, but Stargate : Ark of Truth. The movies will be 90-110 minutes long. I hoped that they will be 2*90 minutes long like Farscape : Peacekeeper Wars, but 100 minutes have to be enough to tell interesting scifi stories in SG universe. :)

What type of mini-series should they make? Stargate : Nox, Stargate : Rhee'tou, Stargate : Asgard, Stargate : Haaken or something totally new, but I have to say again, these stories can be made as a DVD-film too. They should make them with SG-1, Atlantis and Universe actors, because they live in a common fictional world, so they should work together to save the galaxies. :D

Well, the DVD movies such as "The Ark of Truth" are SG-1 based after all. Just because it's not in the title, atleast right now, doesn't mean they represent the entire scope of the franchise, SGA & Universe. The SG world has more than just SG-1, there are other SG teams not to mention many other parts to the SG program and related agencies, IE N.I.D., Area 51, the Antarctic research station, Alpha, Beta, and Gamma sites. The midway station, the Trust (if they still exist). But there are also other aspects such as, the Free Jaffa Nation, Lucian Aliance, and even the Goa'uld. I know, the Goauld are defeated and in hiding, but not all of them are dead. They've got to be a bit ticked off at Earth and the Free Jaffa. And who says we've seen every aspect of the Goa'uld, or the Aschen or anyone else for that matter. There's a lot that could be explored that doesn't need a full series but could make for a good mini-series. It doesn't need to be 5 or 6 episodes long, even 4 episodes would be fine. There's just soooo many possibilities that could be very interesting.

Why make a mini-series when there are movies in development? I've yet to see a good mini-series, so I am glad they are making movies instead. Besides, wouldn't a mini-series effectively be three or four 90-minute movies aired over the coarse of a week? I'd much rather have 2-hour movies on a bigger budget, each with their own story.

<color snip>

But that's JUST for SG-1. I don't see SGA doing any DVD movies anytime soon. There's more to the franchise than just SG-1 and SGA. Why not explore it. There haven't been any good mini-series? WHAT!?!? Are you kidding? What about "Band of Brothers"? That was an AWESOME mini-series. And yes, it was classified as a mini-series, it was serialized episodes less than a full season's worth. Granted, it was sort of a docu-drama, it was still a mini-series. Or how about the BSG mini-series? There have been plenty of good mini-series throughout television. Maybe not much in the SciFi genre, but they do exist.

Platschu
October 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Yes, I feel the same. I think they are capable of making better, more action and CGI heavy stories, but if the viewers don't watch the series on TV, than they won't get chance. :( I think the DVD movies will be a great financial success. They cost "only" 7-7 million dollar. They had more than 2 million dollar for costumes, sets, props, salaries and special effects. They will sell it for international television channels, there will be a SciFi Channel premiere too. If we count so, that next to these they can sell at least 0,5-1 million DVD around the globe, than they will earn back the MGM's money, so they will order more. :D I would like to see an Atlantis DVD movie next year, because they can make such things from extra budget, what they could never have on a simple TV episode. I think they should build an off-world Pegasus gate set and find new film location or make them in blue-box. The actors should make more live-action movements, not only walking from A to B. They should climb mountains, swim in lakes etc., when the storyboard need it. ;)

kirmit
October 7th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Yes, I feel the same. I think they are capable of making better, more action and CGI heavy stories, but if the viewers don't watch the series on TV, than they won't get chance. :( I think the DVD movies will be a great financial success. They cost "only" 7-7 million dollar. They had more than 2 million dollar for costumes, sets, props, salaries and special effects. They will sell it for international television channels, there will be a SciFi Channel premiere too. If we count so, that next to these they can sell at least 0,5-1 million DVD around the globe, than they will earn back the MGM's money, so they will order more. :D I would like to see an Atlantis DVD movie next year, because they can make such things from extra budget, what they could never have on a simple TV episode. I think they should build an off-world Pegasus gate set and find new film location or make them in blue-box. The actors should make more live-action movements, not only walking from A to B. They should climb mountains, swim in lakes etc., when the storyboard need it. ;)

I thought the movies had an 11 million dollars budget each? Least I'm sure that's what Joe Mallozzi said.

Platschu
October 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I remembered for 7-7 million dollar. 11 million would be a bit too much, don't you think? An average episode costs 2-2,5 million dollar, so a two-parter (= 88 minutes long) episode's budget is near 5 million dollar. :)

Daniel Jackson
October 7th, 2007, 11:55 AM
But that's JUST for SG-1. I don't see SGA doing any DVD movies anytime soon. There's more to the franchise than just SG-1 and SGA. Why not explore it. There haven't been any good mini-series? WHAT!?!? Are you kidding? What about "Band of Brothers"? That was an AWESOME mini-series. And yes, it was classified as a mini-series, it was serialized episodes less than a full season's worth. Granted, it was sort of a docu-drama, it was still a mini-series. Or how about the BSG mini-series? There have been plenty of good mini-series throughout television. Maybe not much in the SciFi genre, but they do exist.
Right now, Stargate is effectively defined as being a TV show wether that be SG-1, Atlantis, or the upcoming Universe. The only reason why MGM is making movies is because SciFi cancelled SG-1, a show which MGM feels should have continued. Besides, you don't want to oversaturate the market. The recently cancelled SG-1, Atlantis, next year's SG-1 movies, and the in-development Universe TV show... really, isn't that enough? :S We all have a favorite episode or story arc that we'd like to see expanded on, but you also have to factor in real world issues that would warrant such a movie, mini-series, or TV series.

kirmit
October 7th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I remembered for 7-7 million dollar. 11 million would be a bit too much, don't you think? An average episode costs 2-2,5 million dollar, so a two-parter (= 88 minutes long) episode's budget is near 5 million dollar. :)

Well the movies are like 2 hours long, which is 2 and a half episodes, so that's only about 6 millions dollars and they've said this movie will be bigger and better than your average SG-1, I don't see them doing this with an extra million. I'm pretty sure Joe said it when asked in his blog, perhaps the original estimate was 7 million but has be upped to 11 million, I sure hope so :P.

Platschu
October 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM
These are the most important scifi DVD films:

Farscape : Peacekeeper Wars
Babylon 5 : The Lost Tales
Battlestar Galactica : Razor
Stargate : Ark of Truth
Stargate : Continuum

I think they postponed the movies not only because of the slowly making of CGI effects, but they didn't want to be a competition for Razor too. :o But with this move they lost the Christmas DVD sales factor, so I don't know whether it was a good decision.

I hope SciFi will decide about Atlantis season 5, the Universe and more DVD films at the end of October, so the US fans have only 2-3 Atlantis episode to show theirs support. :o

Daniel Jackson
October 7th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum are not SciFi productions, they are being made by MGM with no connections to SciFi. If they air on SciFi, it will only be because SciFi bought the airing rights like they would for any movie.

Freekzilla
October 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM
These are the most important scifi DVD films:

Farscape : Peacekeeper Wars
Babylon 5 : The Lost Tales
Battlestar Galactica : Razor
Stargate : Ark of Truth
Stargate : Continuum

I think they postponed the movies not only because of the slowly making of CGI effects, but they didn't want to be a competition for Razor too. :o But with this move they lost the Christmas DVD sales factor, so I don't know whether it was a good decision.

I hope SciFi will decide about Atlantis season 5, the Universe and more DVD films at the end of October, so the US fans have only 2-3 Atlantis episode to show theirs support. :o What? Why? Huh? Why would you want the decision to be made only based on 2 or 3 episodes? Things could pick up later on and they'd miss out on it then. Or are you saying you want the series to end and not get a 5th season? :confused:

Right now, Stargate is effectively defined as being a TV show wether that be SG-1, Atlantis, or the upcoming Universe. The only reason why MGM is making movies is because SciFi cancelled SG-1, a show which MGM feels should have continued. Besides, you don't want to oversaturate the market. The recently cancelled SG-1, Atlantis, next year's SG-1 movies, and the in-development Universe TV show... really, isn't that enough? :S We all have a favorite episode or story arc that we'd like to see expanded on, but you also have to factor in real world issues that would warrant such a movie, mini-series, or TV series.

Heck no, I want an ALL SG channel! :cool: Just kidding, or maybe I'm not. LOL! No, I don't think a mini-series would oversaturate things at all, IF it was done right. I say, do a min-series that is 4 episodes long, and have it right before the regular season starts for SGA, then another mini during the hiatus, and in the same time slot. It would help keep people familiar with the timeslot, something a little different to watch but still SG while the regular show is not on, brings in new ideas and directions they could explore thus keeping it fresh. And it would also, something you may not have thought about, keep the production crew working which would let them earn a paycheck and keep their talents in tip top shape. We all get rusty on our time off. Seriously, I've REALLY thought about it. I've even took what people on here have said into consideration. Then put everything I've learned and came up with what I think is an excellent concept. I really and honestly believe it would work, and work very well, if it was done the right way. I just don't see the SG franchise as being just a TV show or DVD movies. I want it to defy that typical definition.

Freekzilla
October 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum are not SciFi productions, they are being made by MGM with no connections to SciFi. If they air on SciFi, it will only be because SciFi bought the airing rights like they would for any movie.

I'm guessing he meant scifi as in Science fiction, not the channel. But I could be wrong. That's why I often use the term skiffy when refering to the channel. ;)

Platschu
October 7th, 2007, 01:04 PM
The SciFi will decide about season 5 at the end of October or the beginning of November. There will be a one week long pause, so they will make announcement after 4x05 or 4x06. So the US fans should watch the next episodes, if they want new season. :o I am a bit sad that I don't live there, so I can't do anything. :(

We need new order of SG-1 DVD films too, because they can release them (the third, the fourth etc.) only in 2009!

Daniel Jackson
October 7th, 2007, 01:13 PM
No, I don't think a mini-series would oversaturate things at all, IF it was done right. I say, do a min-series that is 4 episodes long, and have it right before the regular season starts for SGA, then another mini during the hiatus, and in the same time slot. It would help keep people familiar with the timeslot, something a little different to watch but still SG while the regular show is not on, brings in new ideas and directions they could explore thus keeping it fresh. And it would also, something you may not have thought about, keep the production crew working which would let them earn a paycheck and keep their talents in tip top shape. We all get rusty on our time off.
I would much rather see Atlantis get an extra 2-4 episodes a year than have a between-seasons mini-series. :S As for keeping the production crew busy, do you really think Atlantis is the only show they work on? :confused:

The SciFi will decide about season 5 at the end of October or the beginning of November. There will be a one week long pause, so they will make announcement after 4x05 or 4x06. So the US fans should watch the next episodes, if they want new season. :o I am a bit sad that I don't live there, so I can't do anything. :(
Why would SciFi make the decission to renew the show after just five or so episodes when this season will be featuring twenty episodes? That's idiotic! :rolleyes:

Platschu
October 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM
This is simple mathematic. :)

2007. October 12. - 4x03 Reunion
2007. October 19. - 4x04 Doppelganger
2007. October 26. - 4x05 Travelers

2007. November - pick-up for season 5
2007. November-December : they begin to spin, they write the first episodes
2007. December-2008. January: they build the new sets, they make new props, they have to make castings
2008. February : They will begin to shot the first episodes
2008. Junius or July : They are on holiday for 3-4 weeks.
2008. July or September : The new premier
2008. October : They finish the 5x20 episode.

They make an episode for 5-8 day, so in the worst case it is 20*8 = 160 day = 32 week (Monday-Friday) = 8 months, so the February-October is correct.

^ This can be used for Stargate : Universe too, so SciFi haven't got too much time to decide. :o

Daniel Jackson
October 7th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Regardless, I still think they should wait for the season to finish before deciding to order a fifth season. What if the first five episodes are crap, then the rest is great? What if the first five episodes are great and the rest is crap?

Freekzilla
October 7th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I would much rather see Atlantis get an extra 2-4 episodes a year than have a between-seasons mini-series. :S As for keeping the production crew busy, do you really think Atlantis is the only show they work on? :confused:

Why would SciFi make the decission to renew the show after just five or so episodes when this season will be featuring twenty episodes? That's idiotic! :rolleyes:

But that is exactly what Skiffy, AKA The SciFi Channel, is doing. SGA only has a handful of episodes to earn a fifth season. And yes, we all know it is idiotic. Would you expect anything less from Skiffy?

Now, no I don't think the production crew only works on Atlantis. I know they work on other things. However, they don't work year round. There is some down time each year. I'd like an extra 2-4 episodes each year too. But that will not happen with Skiffy involved, not ever ever ever. Twenty is the most we will ever get. So, why not have the next best thing? Given the choices and possibilities, I'd much rather have an extra mini-series than nothing. One show is nice, two is even better. ;)

the fifth man
October 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
A mini-series from time to time would be nice, I'll admit that. But if these first two Stargate movies work out, the movie route may be the way to go. I'd be happy with either though, as long as stories involving Stargate are still being written and produced in some fashion.

Major_Griff
October 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah, that have to renew it by the end of this month other wise they'd be late starting the new season. If they waited till the end then we'd have to wait forever until new eps came out. It would be idiotic not to renew or cancel now.

Daniel Jackson
October 7th, 2007, 06:50 PM
But that is exactly what Skiffy, AKA The SciFi Channel, is doing. SGA only has a handful of episodes to earn a fifth season. And yes, we all know it is idiotic. Would you expect anything less from Skiffy?
I'm amazed they have any original programming still on the air. :S If Star Trek followed this, none of the spin-off shows would have lasted more than one season. :rolleyes:

Now, no I don't think the production crew only works on Atlantis. I know they work on other things. However, they don't work year round. There is some down time each year. I'd like an extra 2-4 episodes each year too. But that will not happen with Skiffy involved, not ever ever ever. Twenty is the most we will ever get. So, why not have the next best thing? Given the choices and possibilities, I'd much rather have an extra mini-series than nothing. One show is nice, two is even better. ;)
Well, that down time is called vacation... ya know, that time they spend with their families. ;) Why do you say SciFi will never expand SG:A's seasons? After SG-1 moved from Showtime to SciFi, it continued to have 22-episode seasons until SG:A was ordered alongside SG-1. Both shows then had 20-episode seasons to reduce various expenses. I was hoping SG:A would bump up to 22 episodes with SG-1 off the air, but sadly, that didn't happen. As for having a summer mini-series so we can have two Stargate shows, they're already working on a new show, it's called Stargate: Universe. If they go with the anual mini-series route, we'll effective have three shows. That is overkill. :eek:

Freekzilla
October 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I'm amazed they have any original programming still on the air. :S If Star Trek followed this, none of the spin-off shows would have lasted more than one season. :rolleyes:

Well, that down time is called vacation... ya know, that time they spend with their families. ;) Why do you say SciFi will never expand SG:A's seasons? After SG-1 moved from Showtime to SciFi, it continued to have 22-episode seasons until SG:A was ordered alongside SG-1. Both shows then had 20-episode seasons to reduce various expenses. I was hoping SG:A would bump up to 22 episodes with SG-1 off the air, but sadly, that didn't happen. As for having a summer mini-series so we can have two Stargate shows, they're already working on a new show, it's called Stargate: Universe. If they go with the anual mini-series route, we'll effective have three shows. That is overkill. :eek:

Nah, there can NEVER be too much Stargate, as long as it is good Stargate. That's the only thing, as long as it is good, then who cares if there is two, three or 10 SG shows. Besides, Universe won't be on until SGA goes off the air, most likely. Universe hasn't even gone past the concept phase yet. So it'll be a while yet before it even airs.

Daniel Jackson
October 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM
First off, it's not necessary to quote me when there's no posts between me and you. ;) Second, you have to look at it from the audience's point of view, not just yours alone. There might not be such a thing as too much SG for you, but that doesn't apply to everyone else. Obviously, SG kept going strong with two shows, but I think any more than that is pushing it, will dilute the production teams, and ultimately milk the franchise dry. As far as TV shows go, we have Stargate: Atlantis and the upcoming Stargate: Universe which may air as soon as the fall of 2008. Most likely, SG:A will still be on when SG:U comes out unless SciFi decides to cancel SG:A.

akren
October 7th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Wouldn't mind a mni-series, plus on-going movies. :D Up TPTB I guess & dependant on sales from the DVD movies, etc; but the franchise is still going strong.

Can't wait for the new Season of SGA to start here in Oz (hint hint Sci-Fi Australia! :mckay:), as well as TAoT & SG:C to come out on DVD. Buying S3 of SGA & S10 of Sg-1 on DVD ASAP (moving back in my parents is gonna help me save some serious $$$, which i can naturally spend @ conventions & other SG-realted obessions I have. :D ;) :D), as well as signing up for SG: Worlds when it comes out next year.

Getting back to the mini-series idea, there have been some really good mini-seires that have taken place before or after the launch of a seires; & many successful t.v. series have gone on to continue the stories told in a mini-series - like BSG - & so on & so forth; so I don't see why SG couldn't do the same to launch the 3rd series, etc.

MechaThor
October 9th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Maybe we could have two movies tired into ecah other? That way its kinda like a miniseries, Like the Farscape Peacekeeper Wars (a quality film).

However with hopefully a 5th series of Atlantis, and A new series Stargate Universe I would say its a while till a 3rd film is made let alone a mini series!

Daniel Jackson
October 9th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Maybe we could have two movies tired into ecah other? That way its kinda like a miniseries, Like the Farscape Peacekeeper Wars (a quality film).
Redundant, since MGM is already making two Stargate movies based on SG-1. The plots will be separate, but they will be tied together in that they resolve the main villains of the TV show: the Ori and Ba'al.

However with hopefully a 5th series of Atlantis, and A new series Stargate Universe I would say its a while till a 3rd film is made let alone a mini series!
There will be a third movie if the first two SG-1 films sell well.

kirmit
October 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM
There will be a third movie if the first two SG-1 films sell well.

If the first 2 succeed, which if all SG-1 fans buy them they should, I'm sure there will be several more movies, TPTB have said as much, 2 a year sounds alright to me.

jenks
October 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they green lighted another film before these two are even released to be honest...

Freekzilla
October 9th, 2007, 02:34 PM
First off, it's not necessary to quote me when there's no posts between me and you. ;) Second, you have to look at it from the audience's point of view, not just yours alone. There might not be such a thing as too much SG for you, but that doesn't apply to everyone else. Obviously, SG kept going strong with two shows, but I think any more than that is pushing it, will dilute the production teams, and ultimately milk the franchise dry. As far as TV shows go, we have Stargate: Atlantis and the upcoming Stargate: Universe which may air as soon as the fall of 2008. Most likely, SG:A will still be on when SG:U comes out unless SciFi decides to cancel SG:A.

Sorry about quoting. It's a habit, so I can keep thing straight without misunderstandings. Are you implying that I am SG obsessed? Ok ok, guilty as charged. ;) I liked the two show deal we have before. It was like not having to choose between chocolate and vanilla. It made it sooo much more of a "can't miss" night with two shows. I still honestly believe a properly done and executed mini-series shown right before the season starts or during the mid season break would be a good thing. Not a lot, maybe 4 episodes or so. Just a little taste so to speak. But, that is just my opinion.

Now, as far as Universe goes, I really don't think it will air until atleast spring 2009. The reason is, there is a lot going on in the entertainment world right now. A possible strike of the Writers Guild could happen as soon as Nov. 1 because their contracts end Oct. 31. The Directors and Screen Actors guilds expiring soon after, which could have them striking as well. The negotiations with the writers guild are not going very well either right now. If all three do strike, then it would probably be 6 months until anything gets done, at the very least. That would bring us to around late spring/early summer before work began again. Since Universe is so early in it's development, with no scripts ready to go and no filming done already, a fall 2008 premier of Universe is very unlikely. Unless of course the strike doesn't happen, or if in the case it does, they work like crazy madmen day and night to get it done after the strike ends. If the 3 strikes happen and is of any duration, then Universe won't likely come out until spring 2009 at the earliest. So, by the time Universe does air, SGA could be gone or close to ending. Who knows, SGA could be put on hold too if the strike happens, if it's still around that is. So you see, I really don't think a 4 episode mini-series twice a year would "milk the franchise dry". Especially if the storyline of the mini was not tied to SG-1, SGA, or Universe. I do however agree that maybe it would be too much to have another full series if both SGA and Universe are on, for some people but not me of course. :D

But who knows how things will go in the next few weeks/months.

Daniel Jackson
October 9th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Sorry about quoting. It's a habit, so I can keep thing straight without misunderstandings.
That's fine if you're going to respond to parts of the post instead of the whole thing or if other people have posted since, but if you're going to quote it all in one quote when my post is directly above, well... it just seems redundant. I'm not asking you to stop, I'm just saying it's unnecessary, but if you want to, that's fine. :)

Are you implying that I am SG obsessed? Ok ok, guilty as charged. ;)
No, but I am saying you aren't being objective. ;)

I liked the two show deal we have before. It was like not having to choose between chocolate and vanilla. It made it sooo much more of a "can't miss" night with two shows. I still honestly believe a properly done and executed mini-series shown right before the season starts or during the mid season break would be a good thing. Not a lot, maybe 4 episodes or so. Just a little taste so to speak. But, that is just my opinion.
The production crew is very happy to only be working on one show this year. If I had the choice between a between-seasons mini-series or extending the season by four episodes, I'd rather have a longer season. :sheppard:

Now, as far as Universe goes, I really don't think it will air until atleast spring 2009. The reason is, there is a lot going on in the entertainment world right now. A possible strike of the Writers Guild could happen as soon as Nov. 1 because their contracts end Oct. 31. The Directors and Screen Actors guilds expiring soon after, which could have them striking as well. The negotiations with the writers guild are not going very well either right now. If all three do strike, then it would probably be 6 months until anything gets done, at the very least. That would bring us to around late spring/early summer before work began again. Since Universe is so early in it's development, with no scripts ready to go and no filming done already, a fall 2008 premier of Universe is very unlikely. Unless of course the strike doesn't happen, or if in the case it does, they work like crazy madmen day and night to get it done after the strike ends. If the 3 strikes happen and is of any duration, then Universe won't likely come out until spring 2009 at the earliest. So, by the time Universe does air, SGA could be gone or close to ending. Who knows, SGA could be put on hold too if the strike happens, if it's still around that is.
Stargate is a Canadian production, so it won't be effected. :cool:

So you see, I really don't think a 4 episode mini-series twice a year would "milk the franchise dry". Especially if the storyline of the mini was not tied to SG-1, SGA, or Universe. I do however agree that maybe it would be too much to have another full series if both SGA and Universe are on, for some people but not me of course. :D
I just think a mini-series is pointless when we already have Stargate: Atlantis. I think the whole reason of launching a third show while SG:A is on the air is so that it can have an established audience when SG:A ends.

Freekzilla
October 10th, 2007, 06:48 PM
There, no quoted post. Do I get a cookie now? LOL! (just teasing you)

Well, of course it's not objective. It's only my opinion. No opinion can be 100% objective. There's always atleast a tiny bit of bias. But you can't fault me for having good taste atleast. :)

Of course the production crew is happy to be working on only one show, they're all just slackers. JUST KIDDING! A mini-series wouldn't be a huge production strain. It's no piece of cake, but they could handle it pretty well. They have been doing two full series after all.

The vast majority of people involved with SG are also members of the American guilds. Now, even though the production side is Canadian, the funding and management is American, not to mention some of the actors. So, trust me, it could be affected by an American strike. One of the contentious items on the table is "profit sharing" on DVD sales. So that could affect SG. Though I hope not. The strictly Canadian productions should be free and clear of any problems though. One thing I am not sure about is, how international productions work concerning guild agreements and such. I'm starting to get a headache just thinking about all the different angles and aspects.

Now, I personally think a mini-series that is NOT about Atlantis or SG-1 would be great. As long as it is done well. One of the things that concerns me, is the long hiatuses they seem to have more and more often now. Having something good to fill in the down time would go a long way to diminish the pain of the dreaded hiatus. I mean, we're not talking about a full series or 20+ episodes. Just 4 episodes or so. I just feel there is a lot they could explore that is not related to SGA and SG-1, and that it could be very interesting. But hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Daniel Jackson
October 10th, 2007, 07:11 PM
No, you don't get a cookie. You get a cute little cat that will destroy all of your furniture. :D

I know it's your opinion, and there's nothing wrong with that. I was merely pointing out that in the TV business, you have to be objective, because there are so many variables at play. The writing strike only effects American writers. SG:A's writers are Canadian, therefore SG:A won't be effected. If they wanted to make a mini-series, they'd be making that instead of Stargate: Universe. If you simply want to shorten the hiatus, the cheaper route is to extend the length of Atlantis's seasons by a few episodes instead of creating an entirely new production which would last just as long. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the concept of a mini-series nor new, original ideas. I just feel that a mini-series isn't necessary when you already have a successful weekly TV show. :)

Freekzilla
October 11th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Oh no! Not a cat! I hate cats! And they don't seem to like me either; not to mention that I am a little allergic to them. *snif snif* No cookie. :(

I can certainly understand being as objective as possible. But there is such a thing as being too objective. Casr in point, Trek the original series. The objective opinions of studios and execs cancelled that series because of the expensive nature of it, and the low ratings. And just look at the franchise now. If a few people hadn't been a bit biased and not as objective as the "business" would have prescribed, it would never have been as big as it is. What I'm saying is, sometimes you just have to take a chance, especially if it's something you really believe in.

One of the reasons I feel that a mini would be a good thing, is that it could bring something completely new to the franchise. Just doing series after series could get stagnant after a while. I'm just trying to be creative to keep it fresh. And I hope the writers/producers try to do the same thing. That's why I think the DVD movies are a good thing. It's new, fresh, and I like that.

Daniel Jackson
October 11th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I can certainly understand being as objective as possible. But there is such a thing as being too objective. Casr in point, Trek the original series. The objective opinions of studios and execs cancelled that series because of the expensive nature of it, and the low ratings. And just look at the franchise now. If a few people hadn't been a bit biased and not as objective as the "business" would have prescribed, it would never have been as big as it is. What I'm saying is, sometimes you just have to take a chance, especially if it's something you really believe in.
Star Trek is a different situation. It was an NBC sci-fi show that struggled in ratings, because the ratings system of the time was inaccurate. NBC cut the budget and moved it to a late-night time slot for the third season, then cancelled the show. Syndicated reruns in the 70's lead to a movie revival. The fourth movie was so hugely successful that the TV show was revived in the form of the spin-off show TNG, and that lead to everything else. However, oversaturation ended up watering Star Trek down into a bland show, ultimately leading to it's demise. I'd rather this not happen to SG.

One of the reasons I feel that a mini would be a good thing, is that it could bring something completely new to the franchise. Just doing series after series could get stagnant after a while. I'm just trying to be creative to keep it fresh. And I hope the writers/producers try to do the same thing.
Doesn't SG:A do that on a weekly basis when it's not a Wraith or Asuran episode? :confused: This is one more reason why I think a mini-series is a bad idea. It's just one, big story. Blah... Where's the variety? That's why I love Stargate over today's modern shows, it's not the same thing week in and week out, each episode is something new and fresh unless, of coarse, it's continuing a story arc. If you want something new and original, write the SG:A team, and ask them to do less arc episodes and more stand-alones. :)

That's why I think the DVD movies are a good thing. It's new, fresh, and I like that.
For now, any SG movies made by MGM will be based on SG-1.

By the way, since you keep pushing new and original, why not rent movies instead of asking for an SG mini-series? :confused:

jdog
October 15th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Id like to see a STARGATE: AREA 51 series..

Eureka meets atlantis......they could move the stargate there too....

Ganthet Jr.
October 22nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Regardless, I still think they should wait for the season to finish before deciding to order a fifth season. What if the first five episodes are crap, then the rest is great? What if the first five episodes are great and the rest is crap?

Ideally, that'd be great. But the producers start work on the next season during the airing of the previous season, so I don't know how they'd make that work.

Liam Kincaid
October 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM
No, you don't get a cookie. You get a cute little cat that will destroy all of your furniture. :D

I know it's your opinion, and there's nothing wrong with that. I was merely pointing out that in the TV business, you have to be objective, because there are so many variables at play. The writing strike only effects American writers. SG:A's writers are Canadian, therefore SG:A won't be effected.

I don't see how a Writer's strike would affect Stargate Atlantis. All they are doing is re-using SG1 scripts, with a few minor changes. What do they need writers for? If the Xerox machines and White-Out manufacturers went on strike, now, then they would be in trouble!

Daniel Jackson
October 29th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Did you read my post? I said that SG:A's writing team is Canadian and thus uneffected by the writer's strike. As for SG:A's scripts being recycled SG-1 scripts... they're not. However, they do occasionally reuse an old sci-fi concept that's been overused like this week's amnesia episode. :S

Wraith_Boy
October 31st, 2007, 10:02 AM

Two 90 minute movies per year compared to a regular season cannot be compared. Even a mini-series would get them far more screen-time. 90mins isn't enough to finish off major arcs. They spent 2 years with the Ori storyline, yet are planning to wrap it all up in 90 mins. Multiple galaxies, Ancients, Ori ships, Ori followers, Priors, Doci, Adria, + another enemy etc, etc.

What they should have done was a mini-series to end it like with what Farscape did with 'The Peacekeeper Wars'. Tell the story in 4/5 hours, rather than jamming it all into 90 mins.

StarG8fan
November 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Anything IMO.....just keep Stargate going!

Daniel Jackson
November 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Two 90 minute movies per year compared to a regular season cannot be compared. Even a mini-series would get them far more screen-time. 90mins isn't enough to finish off major arcs. They spent 2 years with the Ori storyline, yet are planning to wrap it all up in 90 mins. Multiple galaxies, Ancients, Ori ships, Ori followers, Priors, Doci, Adria, + another enemy etc, etc.
The movies will be two hours each, not 90 minutes. That's not to say they'll be exactly 120 minutes each, but it'll be closer to 120 than 90. Two years were spent with the Ori story, but it ultimately boils down to the Ori who may all be dead, Adia who ascended, Ori warships which the Oddyssey can now fight, Ori armies who now lack a leader, and those creepy Priors who's powers can be neutralized if a Prior-power-neutralized is close by. A two hour movie would be plenty of time to wrap all of that up. After all, the Goa'uld and the Replicators were wrapped up in just two episodes (84 minutes total).

What they should have done was a mini-series to end it like with what Farscape did with 'The Peacekeeper Wars'. Tell the story in 4/5 hours, rather than jamming it all into 90 mins.
You don't want a pair of 90-minute movies, yet you want it to be like Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars which was a pair of 90-minute movies? :confused: