This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season Nine could include ...

I have seen a lot of posts along the lines of future seasons being pointless or not as fulfilling. But considering how the Simpsons still have new episodes coming out after more than 15 years, I can't see how Stargate could be anywhere NEAR being finished.

As far as I can tell, there is only two ways season nine will be a no show. One - All four stars quit. If RDA quits, then there would go the fan base that simply watches for him, but as for the position he holds, well there has been about four people who have held the office so far. I don't see why they couldn't find another "General" to head the Stargate program. If Daniel or Samantha quits, then you could always pull Jonas Quinn from whatever planet he's stuck on back onto the team. If Teal'c quits, then who says you can't replace him with another shol'vah (even though they wouldn't be THE traitor), or perhaps even a Tokra could replace him. Anything is workable.

Some of you are probably thinking that it simply wouldn't be the same. But when you think about it, as much as I like the current cast, as long as you can get a group of actors together that can act and entertain you as much as the next show then who cares? Stargate is simply a more intricate Slider show. I'm pretty sure that if they ever decided to stop filming Stargate episodes that Sci-Fi would think to replace Stargate with another Slider/Stargate type show (or more likely that's what Atlantis is). But regardless of what Atlantis is or isn't, it has given us another hour of Stargate like material to entertain ourselves with. Obviously Sci-Fi realizes that they hit a bull’s-eye on entertainment value and I think they would be idiots to stop filming Stargate episodes after this season.

And no one should be saying that they are few ideas left to explore. I can think of a few immediately off the top of my head: meeting a live ancient colony, finding more info on the Furlings, meeting the Nox again, possible Wraith mix in, replicators are obviously still out there, more new enemies, ... and of course finding new weapons or technology.

I apologize if I've upset any of you. It's late where I live and so I haven't tried too hard to make out a thoroughly thought out post, but I figured I better throw out my idea and see what people make of it. I just want to make sure that this one point was received before I end this post: whether it’s a Friends type show or a Stargate type show … all that should matter is whether you are entertained. When people stop following a show just because some cast member left, all they do is end the show abruptly and then they simply start the same show all over again under a different name with a slightly different angle. I would like to see Stargate continue no matter what to see if those writers can squeeze out some more truly unique ideas.

Examples of what I thought were unique from past shows are: scientific theories being explored such as those about black holes, ascension – at least the way it was portrayed, the production of the super-soldiers and in how they are killed, and of course there are occasions where certain political or possible every day circumstances that occur within the show once in awhile that appear to be somewhat unique simply because the ideas may be talked about from time to time, but never really show up on TV shows – such as symbiotic relationships.

Originally posted by Steel_Thunder
    I have seen a lot of posts along the lines of future seasons being pointless or not as fulfilling. But considering how the Simpsons still have new episodes coming out after more than 15 years, I can't see how Stargate could be anywhere NEAR being finished.
    Apples and oranges... Nuff said.
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Yeah and look at how **** the simpsons is now.

Comment

Longevity does not automatically equal good tv. ER will be going into it's 12th season, and if any show needs to be put out of its misery, that's the one. X-Files lasted way too long for its own good.

Some of you are probably thinking that it simply wouldn't be the same. But when you think about it, as much as I like the current cast, as long as you can get a group of actors together that can act and entertain you as much as the next show then who cares? Stargate is simply a more intricate Slider show. I'm pretty sure that if they ever decided to stop filming Stargate episodes that Sci-Fi would think to replace Stargate with another Slider/Stargate type show (or more likely that's what Atlantis is).

Well, I don't watch Atlantis. And, I didn't sign up for "Generic Sci-Fi show that vaguely resembles Stargate. I also didn't sign up to watch Stargate Command and "whatever actors you can find." I signed up to watch Stargate: SG-1.

And, if it doesn't matter who's on it, why should the show stay on? As you've pointed out, they've got their shiny new Atlantis. Isn't that the same thing as just using all different actors on a show that has the name "SG-1"?
        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

i believe that there should be some kind of conclusion to the show. Like a few movies or a season 9 that's an all out war to take out the Goa'uld.. Maybe a huge alliance with the asgard and the tokra. i think that 8 season with no conclusion would be a big waist. Too much unfinished business out there to just end everything all together. what i would like to see is either a season 9, a "mini series" with about 5 episodes or even a couple movies to conclude the war with the Goa'uld..thats just my thoughts on the subject, enjoy..
          I am JJ, the Supreme Commander of the Furling Fleet!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
            And, if it doesn't matter who's on it, why should the show stay on?
            Because we enjoy the Stargate universe, the plotlines, and we have an understanding that their reality is fluid and can accept new characters.

The converse of your argument is "Why should we care about the story as long as they have the same actors?" That's called a logical fallacy.

As you've pointed out, they've got their shiny new Atlantis. Isn't that the same thing as just using all different actors on a show that has the name "SG-1"?
            Not at all; Atlantis has a very different storyline (although there are similarities) just about everything else is different. You couldn't bring Jack, Sam, Teal'c, and Daniel to Atlantis and have the same show. An SG-1 with new characters would still operate in the established "Stargate SG-1" universe.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Well, all I can say is, I watch mainly for the characters. In fact, characters are the first things I look for in any show. Give me characters I care about, and I don't care if it's a sci-fi show, a medical show, a family show.

Other shows have dropped the majority of the original cast, thinking "Oh, as long as it's called the same thing no one will care." Chicago Hope got rid of half its cast in one fell swoop, and didn't last another season, despite still being about a hospital, and bringing back one of the most popular characters. And, they got rid of half the cast of The Practice, and it only lasted a season more. They moved Spader to the shiny new Boston Legal, or whatever the new show is called.

Why should we care about the story as long as they have the same actors?" That's called a logical fallacy.
              Ah, but you're the one who said that, not me. I think I've argued with enough people who say, "I'll like the show no matter what they do to it" to show that I don't think anything goes as far as story. But, the characters are *just* as important to the show as the story.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Ah, but you're the one who said that, not me.
                You quoted me out of context.
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Okay:

Because we enjoy the Stargate universe, the plotlines, and we have an understanding that their reality is fluid and can accept new characters.

The converse of your argument is "Why should we care about the story as long as they have the same actors?" That's called a logical fallacy.
                  The converse doesn't always hold true. To me, the universe and the characters have a symbiotic relationship (if I'm using the term correctly) with the characters taking an edge.

Comment

If a fourth member of SG-1 had been added for season eight, I think season nine might have worked out, but with a three-man team and a new commander for the SGC? I probably wouldn't come back to watching it.
                    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

I kinda think that Season Nine would not be a go if RDA didn't come back. I mean, I wish it wasn't so... contingent on that, but it seems that way. I mean, this is the guy whose name comes before the title. For me, it'd be SO weird not being able to see him anymore.

And, at the risk of sounding melodramatic, it would be tragic - and mainly because of the similarities between SG-1 and The X-Files (bad, bad, bad!). I mean, I loved the show, but still... It got sad towards the end, and not in a good way. Stargate SG-1 totally deserves better than its predecessor.

I was lucky enough to start watching the series at "Full Circle," so I wasn't as affected by "Meridian" as those who had watched the show for years. Otherwise, I think I would have had some serious issues.

If they had brought Jonas back this season, that would have rocked. I think the excuse that "his character is too similar to Daniel's" is lame. That's like saying, "McKay's character is too similar to Sam's." Anyway, if it had been a five-character show this season, I would have been more likely to except RDA's MAJORLY reduced schedule next year. However, at this rate, though I'd watch the show, I would be seriously depressed.

Besides, this season's finale should be awesome and create a great lead-in for the movie.

Comment

If RDA left I wouldn't be that bothered. As long as the other three were there, and the story lines were good, and they actually went on some missions it'd be fine.

If they end it without any kind of conclusion it won't be good. The whole show has been about fighting the Goa'uld and saving the planet, if they have an open ending, with no specific conclusion, then what's it all been for, we're right back where we started, only a few people have died along the way.

I don't mind an open ending to the series as long as the do conclude it with a movie. If they are not doing a movie, I would like a good conclusion the series.

Comment

Steel_Thunder, nice ideas, but if SG-1 ends, that won't be the end of Stargate. That's whut Atlantis is for. Stargate SG-1 is about the SG-1 team. Once you no longer have any of the original team, it just wouldn't be the same. Could you all new people and really call them SG-1? Why not just go along with Atlantis which already has a new cast of characters? I'd prefer SG-1 end on a high note like Star Trek: The Next Generation did and move to the big screen with a movie. If that's a success, we might see the movie become an SG-1 film series! As for Stargate on TV, no worries, we have Atlantis.

I'm open to Season 9, as long as that doesn't mean we're trading in a movie for a 9th season.

Comment

If they started switching people left and right, there really wouldn't be a point any more.

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                              If they started switching people left and right, there really wouldn't be a point any more.
                              Darn right. The show is called Stargate SG-1, not Stargate Team-of-the-Week.
                              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Working...
                              X