Amanda Tapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amanda Tapping

Wow. I mean, she's always been gorgeous, but wow. AT was absolutely stunning in this episode. She seems to be one of those women who just looks better and better with age.

Performance in the episode was just spot-on as well. I mean, I know she's been playing the character for more than 10 years now and should be comfortable in the role, but she executes it with a grace few television actresses can manage.

Props to her.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

No offense to AT, but I actually found her acting far more impressive in early SG-1. She really hits it out of the park in episodes like Singularity and Solitudes. Even more recent Seasons like 7... she did wonderfully in Heroes II. The last few years it feels kinda empty. I used to really like Carter but now I'm indifferent, and not because of any particular thing she's done. Maybe AT got tired of the writing of questionable quality and lost enthusiasm?

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnDream View Post
      No offense to AT, but I actually found her acting far more impressive in early SG-1. She really hits it out of the park in episodes like Singularity and Solitudes. Even more recent Seasons like 7... she did wonderfully in Heroes II. The last few years it feels kinda empty. I used to really like Carter but now I'm indifferent, and not because of any particular thing she's done. Maybe AT got tired of the writing of questionable quality and lost enthusiasm?
      No offense to you but I disagree. AT wasand still is very good at her job. She did great in every season. There are eps that really stand out for me with her in every season. You mentioned two great ones in season 1 but she did great in "Tok'ra 1 and 2", "In the Line of Duty", and many more. Season 3 had "Seth", "Jolinars Memories and The Devil You Know", and "Nemesis". Season 4 had "Upgrades", "Divide and Conquer", Window of Oportunity", "2010", "Prodigy", "Entity", and "Exodus". Season 5 had "Ascension", "Red Sky", "Between Two Fires", "2001", "Desperate Measures", "48 Hours" and "Fail Safe". Season 6 had "Redemption 1 and 2", "Frozen", "Prometheus", "Unnatural Selection", "Parradise Lost", "Metamorphosis", "Memento", and "Prophecy". Season 7 had "Heroes 1 and 2", "Fallen and Homecoming", I know these two arent favorites but they are good IMO and great eps for Carter "Avenger 2.0 and Space race", "Evolution part 2" is a great one showing Carter in command, "Grace", "Fallout", and "Death Knell" are more shining examples, as well as "Lost City". Season 8 had many as well, "New Order", "Covenant", "Endgame", "Gemini", "It's Good to be King", Reckoning 1 and 2 and Threads", and "Moebius 1 and 2". There are many more that shows how good AT is and hasnt lost her touch and if she was frustrated with TPTB she wouldnt have stayed on.
      Last edited by Mitchell82; 09 October 2007, 09:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Yes, she was good in most of those episodes you listed. However, the fact that there were none listed after Moebius Part II sort of proves my main point about the last couple of years. Any loss of enthusiasm (or whatever other reasons) would have occurred in that particular timeframe, as I specified in my last post.

Comment

Yes, she was good in most of those episodes you listed. However, the fact that there were none listed after Moebius Part II sort of proves my main point about the last couple of years. Any loss of enthusiasm (or whatever other reasons) would have occurred in that particular timeframe, as I specified in my last post.
          sam/amanda barely got anything to 'do' in sg1's last two seasons. the only eps i actually liked (as in record it to keep) were 'the scourge' and 'line in the sand').

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

one reason for no great AT episodes in the last 2 seasons of SG-1 may be that TPTB had cope with a lot of change. RDA was gone and 3 new actors and a new enemy were there so I guess they focused more on these things since they had done a lot of stuff with the Carter character in seasons 1-8. just one reason I can think of...

also we didn't really see much of her in Adrift or Lifeline so I'd wait a little longer to judge her performance. obviously she wouldn't have joined the cast if she had gotten tired of playing Sam Carter
            sigpic
            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              sam/amanda barely got anything to 'do' in sg1's last two seasons. the only eps i actually liked (as in record it to keep) were 'the scourge' and 'line in the sand').

sally
              You got that right! Sam was made a wallflower in the last 2 seasons-definitely underutilized. The character of Sam was glossed over, but she still did an amazing job being regulated to an "extra" especially in season 9. Amanda's great acting still shone through.
              sigpic
              Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Actually the reason 1 didn't is my fingers got tired. But there are quite a few that stand out for Sam in the last 2 in season 9, "Beachhead", "Fourth Horseman 1 and 2", Colaterall Damage", "Ripple Efefect" "Ethon" and "Camelot" in season 10 " "Morpheus", "Pegasus Project", "Counterstrike", "Memento Mori", "Company of Thieves", "The Quest 1 and 2", "Line in the Sand", "Road Not Taken", "The Shroud", "Dominion" and "Unending".

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

sally
                  Actually I disagree with you on that one. She had quite a few but as you know I was very much pro seasons 9 and 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                    Actually the reason 1 didn't is my fingers got tired. But there are quite a few that stand out for Sam in the last 2 in season 9, "Beachhead", "Fourth Horseman 1 and 2", Colaterall Damage", "Ripple Efefect" "Ethon" and "Camelot" in season 10 " "Morpheus", "Pegasus Project", "Counterstrike", "Memento Mori", "Company of Thieves", "The Quest 1 and 2", "Line in the Sand", "Road Not Taken", "The Shroud", "Dominion" and "Unending".
                    She wasn't nearly as good in any of those as she was in the first batch you mentioned.

Comment

I actually thought she was quite good in "Unending", especially since her character was substantially aged and different.

As for the start of season 4... some of it ok some of it really good, I'll wait for episode 3 and 4 before I make up my mmind.

Comment

amanda tapping pwns noobs.

Comment

Or it could be the last couple of years was filled with bad writing, particularly for the Carter and Teal'c characters (even Daniel characterization was off). So I wouldnt necessarily chaulk it up to boredom on the actors part as much as a "change of direction" on the showrunners part.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                            Or it could be the last couple of years was filled with bad writing, particularly for the Carter and Teal'c characters (even Daniel characterization was off). So I wouldnt necessarily chaulk it up to boredom on the actors part as much as a "change of direction" on the showrunners part.
                            that's exactly what I think happened. it's not the actor's fault if the writers screw up
                            sigpic
                            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson View Post
                              I actually thought she was quite good in "Unending", especially since her character was substantially aged and different.
                              sam was the only thing i really liked about 'unending'.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X