PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Tapping

DigiFluid
October 6th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Wow. I mean, she's always been gorgeous, but wow. AT was absolutely stunning in this episode. She seems to be one of those women who just looks better and better with age.

Performance in the episode was just spot-on as well. I mean, I know she's been playing the character for more than 10 years now and should be comfortable in the role, but she executes it with a grace few television actresses can manage.

Props to her.

AutumnDream
October 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM
No offense to AT, but I actually found her acting far more impressive in early SG-1. She really hits it out of the park in episodes like Singularity and Solitudes. Even more recent Seasons like 7... she did wonderfully in Heroes II. The last few years it feels kinda empty. I used to really like Carter but now I'm indifferent, and not because of any particular thing she's done. Maybe AT got tired of the writing of questionable quality and lost enthusiasm?

Mitchell82
October 6th, 2007, 04:39 PM
No offense to AT, but I actually found her acting far more impressive in early SG-1. She really hits it out of the park in episodes like Singularity and Solitudes. Even more recent Seasons like 7... she did wonderfully in Heroes II. The last few years it feels kinda empty. I used to really like Carter but now I'm indifferent, and not because of any particular thing she's done. Maybe AT got tired of the writing of questionable quality and lost enthusiasm?

No offense to you but I disagree. AT wasand still is very good at her job. She did great in every season. There are eps that really stand out for me with her in every season. You mentioned two great ones in season 1 but she did great in "Tok'ra 1 and 2", "In the Line of Duty", and many more. Season 3 had "Seth", "Jolinars Memories and The Devil You Know", and "Nemesis". Season 4 had "Upgrades", "Divide and Conquer", Window of Oportunity", "2010", "Prodigy", "Entity", and "Exodus". Season 5 had "Ascension", "Red Sky", "Between Two Fires", "2001", "Desperate Measures", "48 Hours" and "Fail Safe". Season 6 had "Redemption 1 and 2", "Frozen", "Prometheus", "Unnatural Selection", "Parradise Lost", "Metamorphosis", "Memento", and "Prophecy". Season 7 had "Heroes 1 and 2", "Fallen and Homecoming", I know these two arent favorites but they are good IMO and great eps for Carter "Avenger 2.0 and Space race", "Evolution part 2" is a great one showing Carter in command, "Grace", "Fallout", and "Death Knell" are more shining examples, as well as "Lost City". Season 8 had many as well, "New Order", "Covenant", "Endgame", "Gemini", "It's Good to be King", Reckoning 1 and 2 and Threads", and "Moebius 1 and 2". There are many more that shows how good AT is and hasnt lost her touch and if she was frustrated with TPTB she wouldnt have stayed on.

AutumnDream
October 6th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Yes, she was good in most of those episodes you listed. However, the fact that there were none listed after Moebius Part II sort of proves my main point about the last couple of years. Any loss of enthusiasm (or whatever other reasons) would have occurred in that particular timeframe, as I specified in my last post. ;)

majorsal
October 6th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Yes, she was good in most of those episodes you listed. However, the fact that there were none listed after Moebius Part II sort of proves my main point about the last couple of years. Any loss of enthusiasm (or whatever other reasons) would have occurred in that particular timeframe, as I specified in my last post. ;)

sam/amanda barely got anything to 'do' in sg1's last two seasons. the only eps i actually liked (as in record it to keep) were 'the scourge' and 'line in the sand').

sally :)

Jumper_One
October 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM
one reason for no great AT episodes in the last 2 seasons of SG-1 may be that TPTB had cope with a lot of change. RDA was gone and 3 new actors and a new enemy were there so I guess they focused more on these things since they had done a lot of stuff with the Carter character in seasons 1-8. just one reason I can think of...

also we didn't really see much of her in Adrift or Lifeline so I'd wait a little longer to judge her performance. obviously she wouldn't have joined the cast if she had gotten tired of playing Sam Carter

gater62
October 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM
sam/amanda barely got anything to 'do' in sg1's last two seasons. the only eps i actually liked (as in record it to keep) were 'the scourge' and 'line in the sand').

You got that right! Sam was made a wallflower in the last 2 seasons-definitely underutilized. The character of Sam was glossed over, but she still did an amazing job being regulated to an "extra" especially in season 9. Amanda's great acting still shone through.

Mitchell82
October 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Actually the reason 1 didn't is my fingers got tired. But there are quite a few that stand out for Sam in the last 2 in season 9, "Beachhead", "Fourth Horseman 1 and 2", Colaterall Damage", "Ripple Efefect" "Ethon" and "Camelot" in season 10 " "Morpheus", "Pegasus Project", "Counterstrike", "Memento Mori", "Company of Thieves", "The Quest 1 and 2", "Line in the Sand", "Road Not Taken", "The Shroud", "Dominion" and "Unending".

Mitchell82
October 6th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Actually I disagree with you on that one. She had quite a few but as you know I was very much pro seasons 9 and 10.

AutumnDream
October 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Actually the reason 1 didn't is my fingers got tired. But there are quite a few that stand out for Sam in the last 2 in season 9, "Beachhead", "Fourth Horseman 1 and 2", Colaterall Damage", "Ripple Efefect" "Ethon" and "Camelot" in season 10 " "Morpheus", "Pegasus Project", "Counterstrike", "Memento Mori", "Company of Thieves", "The Quest 1 and 2", "Line in the Sand", "Road Not Taken", "The Shroud", "Dominion" and "Unending".

She wasn't nearly as good in any of those as she was in the first batch you mentioned. :(

SmallTimePerson
October 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I actually thought she was quite good in "Unending", especially since her character was substantially aged and different.

As for the start of season 4... some of it ok some of it really good, I'll wait for episode 3 and 4 before I make up my mmind.

Agent_Dark
October 7th, 2007, 01:08 AM
amanda tapping pwns noobs.

AGateFan
October 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Or it could be the last couple of years was filled with bad writing, particularly for the Carter and Teal'c characters (even Daniel characterization was off). So I wouldnt necessarily chaulk it up to boredom on the actors part as much as a "change of direction" on the showrunners part.

Jumper_One
October 7th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Or it could be the last couple of years was filled with bad writing, particularly for the Carter and Teal'c characters (even Daniel characterization was off). So I wouldnt necessarily chaulk it up to boredom on the actors part as much as a "change of direction" on the showrunners part.

that's exactly what I think happened. it's not the actor's fault if the writers screw up

majorsal
October 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I actually thought she was quite good in "Unending", especially since her character was substantially aged and different.

sam was the only thing i really liked about 'unending'.

AutumnDream
October 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Also: can anyone explain why a military officer on duty is loaded with blush/mascara/lipstick/whatever? Is that how the USAF conducts combat these days?

"Fight in style or don't fight at all! Join the air force today!"

"The terrorists hate our wide variety of cosmetic products! Join the air force today and show them we won't surrender our fashionable freedoms!"

Jumper_One
October 7th, 2007, 05:56 PM
well it is a tv show after all

AGateFan
October 7th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Also: can anyone explain why a military officer on duty is loaded with blush/mascara/lipstick/whatever? Is that how the USAF conducts combat these days?

"The terrorists hate our wide variety of cosmetic products! Join the air force today and show them we won't surrender our fashionable freedoms!"
Same way Sheppard gets away his bed head and inability to salute...oh and his makeup since this is TV and he and the rest of the guys are wearing as much as the women.

Again though, this has more to do with the show runners then with the character or the actress since I am sure the character (if in character as created) probably doesnt care too much about such things. Well any more then most USAF Col....and yes they do wear makeup sometimes. Its not like they were in some jungel somplace, it was a simple maintenance trip, thats why the civilian was with her.

Mack_1
October 7th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Wow. I mean, she's always been gorgeous, but wow. AT was absolutely stunning in this episode. She seems to be one of those women who just looks better and better with age.

Performance in the episode was just spot-on as well. I mean, I know she's been playing the character for more than 10 years now and should be comfortable in the role, but she executes it with a grace few television actresses can manage.

Props to her.

I so agree with you on the first, thoug the hair is going to take a little bit more of time for me to get used to, but she do looks gorgeous.

And I tink you are talking on the second episode for Atlantis? and yes I agree with you again, she just play her character so different when she needs to, she was there just to assist in a way and she delivers just as the great actor she is, not to much and to to little, she steeps up whe she needs to and steep out when she has to.

Amanda all the way, just hope TPTB write good lines or acting scenes for her, I know she'll do really good.:sam:

VSS
October 8th, 2007, 08:00 AM

I thought she was wearing much less make-up than in seasons 7 & 8 (didn't watch 9 & 10, so no comment there). It reminds me of how she looked in the early seasons, except for the long hair.

bossluna
October 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM

awww...don't be hatin'. She can't help it if she's byootifull...and a damn good actress to boot. I like the way she keeps acting even when the camera isn't on her. She strikes me as one of those generous actors who help the others shine, but still ends up in the center of the shot through no fault of her own because the camera just loves her. She could be in the periphery and your eyes are still drawn to her and the little things she does to keep the scene real.:o

Jumper_One
October 8th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I thought she was wearing much less make-up than in seasons 7 & 8 (didn't watch 9 & 10, so no comment there). It reminds me of how she looked in the early seasons, except for the long hair.

I concur. IIRC she wasn't wearing that much in seasons 9 and 10. at least less than in seasons 7 and 8

AutumnDream
October 8th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Heh. One joke and a legion of AT defenders arrives!

bossluna
October 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM

LTS...

Jumper_One
October 9th, 2007, 01:03 PM

lol

Mitchell82
October 9th, 2007, 11:04 PM
She wasn't nearly as good in any of those as she was in the first batch you mentioned. :(

True the first batch had a lot but I personally thought she was great in most of them but IMO she really stands out in "Beachead", "Fourth Horseman", "Ripple Effect" and "Camelot". Also IMHO she really shined in "Quest 2", "Line in the Sand", "Road Not Taken", and "Unending".

Mitchell82
October 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Actually I thought the writting of seasons 9 and 10 was great especially for Carter and Teal'c. "Road Not Taken", "Line in the Sand" are great examples of Carter and "Talion", "Fourth Horseman" are great examples for Teal'c.

SmallTimePerson
October 10th, 2007, 02:09 AM

Have you ever seen somebody under studio lights without makeup?

AutumnDream
October 10th, 2007, 03:10 AM
There are makeups that deal with the lights satisfactorily and are all but invisible. I think that's what they use on the men. ;d

Uber
October 10th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Heh. One joke and a legion of AT defenders arrives!I wasn't aware that 3 people (who I don't recognize as necessarily being AT fans/supporters/defenders per se) constitute a "legion" these days.

Frankly I assumed your comment was meant in good humor that didn't and wouldn't require any kind of concerted or organized defense. Unless you're suggesting it was meant to elicit some sort of response from AT fans...in which case, the pseudo jab fell short.

AGateFan
October 10th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I wasn't aware that 3 people (who I don't recognize as necessarily being AT fans/supporters/defenders per se) constitute a "legion" these days.

Frankly I assumed your comment was meant in good humor that didn't and wouldn't require any kind of concerted or organized defense. Unless you're suggesting it was meant to elicit some sort of response from AT fans...in which case, the pseudo jab fell short.
True, while I like and respect AT as an actor well enough I am not an AT defender. As I have always said, I am a fan of CHARACTERS not ACTORS.

For instance I LIKE Aryen Sun... I dislike Vala.... See, same actor, different character.
I also like Samantha Carter (as long as they keep her true to character) but I have little use for the character I happend to come across AT playing on some Lifetime movie.

I assumed the comment was made in order to elict the response that was then claimed to have happened. But hey I'm bored so I will play.

Mitchell82
October 10th, 2007, 07:12 PM
There are makeups that deal with the lights satisfactorily and are all but invisible. I think that's what they use on the men. ;d

Yes but it is acceptable for women to use makeup as long as it isn't over done. They are allowed to wear lipstick,blush mascara(sp sorry male speaking;)) and even have long hair as long as it is kept up. From what I have seen she meets the requirements and does skirt it from time to time but for a tv show they get it pretty close.

AutumnDream
October 10th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I wasn't aware that 3 people (who I don't recognize as necessarily being AT fans/supporters/defenders per se) constitute a "legion" these days.

Not at all, I just didn't expect anyone to react, really. And it was 5 people, one of which thought I was "hatin'", which I wasn't. AT is pretty rad in my books. ;)

bossluna
October 10th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Not at all, I just didn't expect anyone to react, really. And it was 5 people, one of which thought I was "hatin'", which I wasn't. AT is pretty rad in my books. ;)

awww....i was just using a common expression around my part of town. It means, "lighten up" and that "it's all good" :o

If you think AT is pretty rad then you should have understood what I was saying about the art of her acting. She's been doing this character for years and years and has explored different areas of Sam, so who would know Sam better than the actress actually bringing Sam to life? And that means that you've also seen time and time again how she engages the other actors in the shot with a glance, a touch, or a knowing look or how she keeps things fresh by reacting to the characters in a scene...She was the perfect "straight-man" for Felger's antics in "Avenger 2.0" which was hilarious, don't you think? And if you're able to hear the commentary, you'll be laughing all the way through. lol! And in "Pegasus Project" - the briefing room scene...great stuff. or in "Ascension" - when she tells O'Neill "I'm not tense! am I tense? when did you first notice?" and O'Neill says, "The moment I met you!" and Carter says, "really? I always thought i was just focused...." Or in "The Tok'ra pt 2" when her dad asks for 5 min with his kid...That scene when he tells her he was always proud of her and he cups her face in his hands and the look she gives him..."I think you've said it pretty well..." and in "Grace" - when she confronts halluci-O'Neill - "What if I quit the Air Force? Will it change anything or is it just an excuse .." And AT's ability to convey a thought or emotion without saying a word like in "Divide and Conquer", "Beneath the Surface," "Lost Paradise" "Heroes.pt2" "Threads" "Line in the Sand" "Unending"...

I'm really sorry if I seem overexuberant in my praise for her acting...but imho she really is that good. ;)

andromeda_dan
October 12th, 2007, 10:40 AM
AT is always enjoyable to watch. Of all the female lead actresses in a scifi show I have watch, AT is the best. Not only great acting, but the best of all is how she makes the field of science exciting with her technobable skills.

Tachyon
February 2nd, 2010, 08:47 AM
Loved seeing Amanda in this episode. Though I was also saddened by seeing Elizabeth leaving.

Jacquelyn
April 7th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Wow i see alot of dislike for Carter (Amanda) after season 8. :eek:
I don't know why. Amanda was outstanding in all the seasons of SG-1 and now that she was starting on Atlantis proves she can take her role and make it a reallyy GREAT performance. I mean being on a set when you don't know that much of the cast is kinda tough. But she did it! :D :D :D

TennisMennis
July 31st, 2010, 07:58 AM

Props to her.

I love AT too, but I didn't think she was any hotter in this episode than SG1. I am about to watch season 4, so I hope they have written better roles for her than they wrote for Dr. Weir.