Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Various oservations on episode 1 of new season (spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Various oservations on episode 1 of new season (spoilers)

I've just seen Episode 1 of Atlantis Season 4, and I am quite impressed by Jewel Staite's performance as the new chief medical officer. She is well on the level of Teryl Rothery/Janet Frasier as far as acting skills, and her character certainly has a lot of potential.

However, there were some seriously eyebrow-raising moments:

1)The micro-meteorite hitting Zelenka's leg. Okay, suppose he wouldn't lose all the air and suffocate- but wasn't his body still supposed to have taken a LOT more damage from the exposure to the cold, pressure-lacking interstellar space? I am not sure what effect such an exposure would have had on a bleeding wound (it probably wouldn't freeze instantly, the vacuum being a perfect insulator and all), but being up and around within minutes like he was just doesn't strike me as realistic.

2)Teyla is becoming way too good with technology. I suspect she will steal McKay's job eventually.

3)Did Carter grow long hair? Not that I mind or anything, but isn't it slightly out of character for her?

4)Is it just me, or does the new Midway Station look like an oversized Puddle Jumper?
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    I've just seen Episode 1 of Atlantis Season 4, and I am quite impressed by Jewel Staite's performance as the new chief medical officer. She is well on the level of Teryl Rothery/Janet Frasier as far as acting skills, and her character certainly has a lot of potential.
    Agreed. Hopefully, with the likes of "Missing" coming up this season, we will see a lot more of Dr. Keller. I certainly loved her in Firefly / Serenity.

However, there were some seriously eyebrow-raising moments:

1)The micro-meteorite hitting Zelenka's leg. Okay, suppose he wouldn't lose all the air and suffocate- but wasn't his body still supposed to have taken a LOT more damage from the exposure to the cold, pressure-lacking interstellar space? I am not sure what effect such an exposure would have had on a bleeding wound (it probably wouldn't freeze instantly, the vacuum being a perfect insulator and all), but being up and around within minutes like he was just doesn't strike me as realistic.
    Agreed, I would have liked to see Sheppard and Zelenka being rescued by the jumper, and the ensuing medical emergency to save Zelenka's leg, but seeing as how we'd already had a medical emergency in that episode (Weir, and to a lesser extent Ronon) I can forgive them for not wanting to dwell on yet another injured character needing Keller's attention.

At least they didn't kill Zelenka off!

2)Teyla is becoming way too good with technology. I suspect she will steal McKay's job eventually.
    And here's most people more worried that Carter will steal McKay's job! To my mind, Teyla is just more experienced using the Ancient computer interface... it's the difference between using a Windows PC, and building a new PC from spares. Plus, Teyla has always been a leader, and with Weir injured, McKay helping Keller, and Sheppard space walking (jumping!), that left her in charge of Atlantis. Indeed, if Carter hadn't joined the cast, I wouldn't have minded seeing Teyla in charge of Atlantis a bit more.

3)Did Carter grow long hair? Not that I mind or anything, but isn't it slightly out of character for her?
    Carter gets new hairstyles every year or two. Of course, I thought Tapping had finally found a style she liked for the last few years of SG-1 (she mentioned it in one of the behind-the-scenes specials, I think), but her hair is still regulation. Plus, she's entitled to change her hair if she wants to. Overall, hair style is one of the last things I judge an actor's performance on.

4)Is it just me, or does the new Midway Station look like an oversized Puddle Jumper?
    It's just you. However...

Is it just me, or does the interior of the Midway Station, with the big ramp leading up to the stargate, the hexagonal design of the gateroom, the control room on the second level and the small bays on the first level (vehicle bays? storage?) remind anyone else of the SGC from Stargate: Infinity?
    Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
      Agreed, I would have liked to see Sheppard and Zelenka being rescued by the jumper, and the ensuing medical emergency to save Zelenka's leg, but seeing as how we'd already had a medical emergency in that episode (Weir, and to a lesser extent Ronon) I can forgive them for not wanting to dwell on yet another injured character needing Keller's attention.
      Yes, but having him up and around within seconds of screen time? I could buy Ronon doing that, but Zelenka?

And here's most people more worried that Carter will steal McKay's job!
      I suppose Teyla and Carter could sort this out in a swimsuit contest. After all, the correlation between breasts size and IQ is a proven scientific fact.

To my mind, Teyla is just more experienced using the Ancient computer interface... it's the difference between using a Windows PC, and building a new PC from spares.
      For someone who until four years ago didn't know what a computer is, she is way too competent taking readings from a whole bunch of sophisticated equipment.

Indeed, if Carter hadn't joined the cast, I wouldn't have minded seeing Teyla in charge of Atlantis a bit more.
      I would. An alien in charge of an Earth expedition? It'd be about as bizzare as Teal'c becoming the new SGC commander. (Could be entertaining though).

Carter gets new hairstyles every year or two.
      But they are always short ones. I've always felt that they made a deliberate effort to not make her look conventionally feminine except on a very rare occasion- which is why I consider her new long hair a departure from that pattern.

P.S. In case anyone got fooled, the boobs=intelligence story is a spoof.
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

the thing with Teyla and technology is a pretty stupid plothole
        she comes from a race of farmers for god sake!!
        she shouldn't even know what an asteroid is, let alone be able to take readings that even Sheppard can't handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
          the thing with Teyla and technology is a pretty stupid plothole
          she shouldn't even know what an asteroid is, let alone be able to take readings that even Sheppard can't handle.
          She's capable of reading a computer display, and of telling if the little arrow which McKay said was important was pointing at red or green!

Also, who said she's a farmer? Or that every Athosian is a farmer? Or that farmers are stupid? I know plenty of farmers who would like to have words with you, re: your perception of their intelligence!

Plus, any culture is made up of more than one profession. Having farmers is no good unless you have people and equipment to process the crops (turn wheat into bread, etc). And that's not even mentioning livestock. Just because we haven't seen Athosian scientists and teachers doesn't mean they don't exist!

While Teyla and the Athosians may well be primarily farmers, that does not mean they do not have technology (remember Teyla's fire lighter?), or that they don't have an understanding of the universe. Between that, the other cultures the Athosians traded with, and Teyla's time on Atlantis... your belief that she wouldn't know about asteroids or how to read a computer screen is unfounded.
          Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

How about Wier's hair growing back so quick after they shaved it for the operation?

Probably replicators, but still, I don't think it's go back to the same length and style as before

Comment

About Carter's hair - I believe Amanda said that she and the producers wanted to grow it out longer, but it wouldn't be allowed by military regulations. One of the benefits of moving her over to Atlantis is that little regulations like that can be loosened a bit.

And as for Teyla and technology - she and her people obviously know what the Stargates are, and she's a bright woman; after four years, she should be able to use the Atlantis computers. I don't expect her (or Sheppard) to be rewriting the code, but she should be able to use the systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                Careful now You don't want to make fun of the people who feed you Besides, farmers are used to watching nasty things fall out of the sky (like hail and tornados), they can recognize when the s**t is about the hit the fan

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
                Also, who said she's a farmer? Or that every Athosian is a farmer? Or that farmers are stupid? I know plenty of farmers who would like to have words with you, re: your perception of their intelligence!

Plus, any culture is made up of more than one profession. Having farmers is no good unless you have people and equipment to process the crops (turn wheat into bread, etc). And that's not even mentioning livestock. Just because we haven't seen Athosian scientists and teachers doesn't mean they don't exist!
                Thank you for sticking up for farmers everywhere, even those in the Pegasus Galaxy

Originally posted by Turbo View Post
                About Carter's hair - I believe Amanda said that she and the producers wanted to grow it out longer, but it wouldn't be allowed by military regulations. One of the benefits of moving her over to Atlantis is that little regulations like that can be loosened a bit.
                Long hair is within regulations as long as it is neatly up, off the collar.

Comment

She's a great actress, give Firefly a watch.

Comment

The most techie thing I remember her doing was when she disconnected the wraith hallucination device using McKay's computer in Phantoms. I'd actually like to see her learn some geeky stuff, kinda like in this fic.

Honestly though, I can't remember her doing anything geeky in Adrift. (then again, I only saw it once. )
                    || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Working...
                    X