PDA

View Full Version : Saving the world ?

YodaMate
September 30th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Now that a great many of us have seen the new season premiere and have a grasp (loose as it probably is) on where we're headed next, perhaps it's a good time to reflect on last season's themes/goals, especially the last few episodes. For me, many questions still remain but first and foremost : did the Heroes manage to save the world ?

What i love about this show is how there are many different interpretations by the characters on the proper use of their powers, different opinions on how they can save the world. So just to be clear, i'm using Future Hiro's definition and referring to the world order glimpsed in Five Years Gone, specifically the threat to NYC by an Exploding Man.

Peter was looking unstable prior to meeting Ted (i.e. when Claude knocked him out) but did he really have the energy required to blow up half the city before he met Ted ?

Sylar became committed to blowing up NYC in order to become President after his mother's death. It was clear that he intended to provoke Peter into being the Bomb. Was this because Sylar didn't think he could survive if he himself was the Bomb ? Or did Sylar not have the stomach to directly slaughter so many innocent people ? A third possible option is that Sylar was physically incapable of creating an explosion that size.

The answers partly turn on Ted himself and the nature of his power. He did a large amount of damage to the Bennet house without harming himself at all. Was it possible for him to survive a Big Blast, if it was all directed out away from him ? If so, then Sylar could create the Bomb any time he chose.

Another possible factor is Ted's mood : he'd have to pretty upset and become very unstable in order to cause the Bomb, as we saw in Company Man. It's possible that Sylar's primary power (seeing how things fit together) means that he is inherently too stable, he can't actually lose control to the extent required to set off the Bomb. Peter, on the other hand, is extemely unstable.

It is my belief that Sylar is still alive. We know Peter is (sans memory). So the question remains, with both these men still alive, is New York (or anywhere else for that matter) still in danger of being Bombed ? With Nathan presumably out of politics, the world order of Five Years Gone is less likely to occur but in theory any politician positioned correctly could take advantage of a new Bomb and take Nathan's place. The world could still need some saving.

IcyNeko
October 1st, 2007, 01:10 PM
It's a work in progress.

the fifth man
October 1st, 2007, 06:21 PM
It's a work in progress.

No doubt about that.;) The world is still far from safe. And we still haven't seen Isacc's other paintings. Who knows what disasters they might detail?

s09119
October 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM
No doubt about that.;) The world is still far from safe. And we still haven't seen Isacc's other paintings. Who knows what disasters they might detail?

I don't know if we have to worry about that, seeing asthe paintings seem to be detailing only deaths of the older generation.

MarshAngel
October 10th, 2007, 10:56 AM
For me, many questions still remain but first and foremost : did the Heroes manage to save the world ?
From one thing, yes. There's always something else.

Peter was looking unstable prior to meeting Ted (i.e. when Claude knocked him out) but did he really have the energy required to blow up half the city before he met Ted ?
He had the ability to explode but not the nuclear power. We'll never know the damage he could have done without Ted's but we know what he can with it.

Sylar became committed to blowing up NYC in order to become President after his mother's death. It was clear that he intended to provoke Peter into being the Bomb. Was this because Sylar didn't think he could survive if he himself was the Bomb ? Or did Sylar not have the stomach to directly slaughter so many innocent people ? A third possible option is that Sylar was physically incapable of creating an explosion that size.

If he had Ted's ability, he could have survived. He didn't want to do it. Sylar doesn't get his pleasure out of mass murder. It's the thrill of gaining an ability from the deed that rocks his boat. Also, I believe he takes pleasure in the idea of a good guy being responsible, particularly one whose abilities he couldn't take.