PDA

View Full Version : PJ fleet

immhotep
September 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM
WOW What a corker of a scene that was!
I mean it was a brilliant show of what power atlantis has when its used effectively. And i cant wait for Mc'shep to go Oceans11 :D

garhkal
September 29th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Yes it was majorly impressive... And i loved it that they had such a diverse crew for the jumpers.... Though it brought up one question... How do they reload the jumpers of drones? Hand put them in?

immhotep
September 29th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I think so, now we know the drones are stocked in those little honeycomb things and they looked manually stacked, so i assume it was manually reloaded as well. Who knew the ancients werent just lazy incompetent know it alls

any_gopher
September 29th, 2007, 07:02 PM
That sure was a fabulous scene :sheppard:.

the fifth man
September 29th, 2007, 08:11 PM
That sure was a fabulous scene :sheppard:.

Indeed it was. Great CGI work on that sequence.:)

Lauriel
September 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Indeed it was. Great CGI work on that sequence.:)

I agree. The CGI was spectacular all the way through, but that scene rocked. The fantasy buff within me couldn't help but smile at the similarity between the PJ's and a knights' charge. :)

Homeslice55
September 29th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I really like the diversity of people. It really was fun to see other people using the jumper for a change. And the visual effects were fantastic. Do they have bigger budget for Atlantis now that there is no SG1?

Trek_Girl42
September 30th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Wow, yes. The CGI was fantastic, and I too loved the diverse group flying those jumpers, rather than the usual group of pilots. I wasn't expecting any sequences like that and was plesently surprised. :)

*Erika*
October 1st, 2007, 09:45 AM
I loved how insecure those folks were. All of a sudden they are called from their workstations to fly a spaceship and save the day!

P-90_177
October 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM
i hope we see a scene like that in the future but against a squadron of wraith darts!

Trek_Girl42
October 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
I loved how insecure those folks were. All of a sudden they are called from their workstations to fly a spaceship and save the day!
Loved that. :D

i hope we see a scene like that in the future but against a squadron of wraith darts!
Oh I hope not.....because they should be slaughtered if that were the case, and then Rodney wouldn't have anyone to order around, proving he survived, that is. ;)

P-90_177
October 1st, 2007, 10:17 AM
Loved that. :D

Oh I hope not.....because they should be slaughtered if that were the case, and then Rodney wouldn't have anyone to order around, proving he survived, that is. ;)

don't see why they would be slaughtered. the f-302's do ok.

Trek_Girl42
October 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM
don't see why they would be slaughtered. the f-302's do ok.
Oh! I assumed you meant you wanted to see the scientists flying into combat against the wraith darts in puddle jumpers, like they did in Adrift with the asteroids. :P

P-90_177
October 2nd, 2007, 01:24 AM
Oh! I assumed you meant you wanted to see the scientists flying into combat against the wraith darts in puddle jumpers, like they did in Adrift with the asteroids. :P

lol. no. the pj's can be manned by military personal i just think it would look cool.

Mitchell82
October 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
Wow, yes. The CGI was fantastic, and I too loved the diverse group flying those jumpers, rather than the usual group of pilots. I wasn't expecting any sequences like that and was plesently surprised. :)

Same here it was an interesting twist.

Aussie_Fan
October 5th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Oh my goodness!! I thought the PJ fleet was the cutest thing ever!! It had me squeeing, lol. My brother was slowly edging away from me..

SmallTimePerson
October 5th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Oh my goodness!! I thought the PJ fleet was the cutest thing ever!! It had me squeeing, lol. My brother was slowly edging away from me..

lol... I didn't quite have that reaction but I can see why you think they look cute.

Mitchell82
October 5th, 2007, 09:44 AM

My reaction was quite different. I thought it just looked awsome and a great scene.

freyr's mother
October 5th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know how many there actually were. Because then we'd actually have a final count to keep track of.

Ed
October 5th, 2007, 11:03 AM
ill go rewch that scene and count after this we should keep track

Ed
October 5th, 2007, 11:07 AM
dam it was removed

Ripple in Space
October 5th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know how many there actually were. Because then we'd actually have a final count to keep track of.

No we wouldn't, because they only took out as many jumpers as they could find ATA gene people to pilot. There could've been many more. And since a ton of the Expedition was on Apollo at the time we couldn't even get an accurate count of how many people have the gene in the expedition.

garhkal
October 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM
IIrc that was the full compliment of the upper jumper bay in the central spire, but what about those 3 other jumper bays on the 3 piers which have the 'top' of the central spire looking structures, AND the underwater bay..?

Sicktem
October 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Fifteen jumpers flew out to meet the asteriods. One can reasonably assume the experimental jumper was not among them and that Earth has a jumper in the SGC. If there are more we don't know, but I doubt they would store other jumpers away from the gateroom. They are understocked so would would assume they would move them all to the same place (they operate everything from within the tower anyway) and now that parts of the city aren't flooded they'd be able to check if there were any jumper bays that they missed after the season 3 mid-season episodes. I do, however, agree that it's perfectly plausable that they left jumpers behind since they didn't have pilots for them.

MechaThor
October 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM
This scene was amazing! Such a cool cnept and with Excellent CGI!

I would say it was one of my fav moments from both shows, and no one Died!

Also i would say they where not all the jumpers, as yes their are more bays than just that one and i am sure they could not take every1 with the ATA gene as imamgine if the mission went horrably wrong? They would all be dead! and every1 else on Atlantis would be unable to use half the technologies!

freyr's mother
October 6th, 2007, 07:37 AM
IIrc that was the full compliment of the upper jumper bay in the central spire, but what about those 3 other jumper bays on the 3 piers which have the 'top' of the central spire looking structures, AND the underwater bay..?

What other 3 jumper bays? I'll give you the underwater jumper bay, but those jumpers could have been moved up to the one above the gate room. Are you talking about the things the drones came out of from the end of the piers in Siege II?

garhkal
October 6th, 2007, 02:51 PM
No. Take a look at the city when they show it all. On three of the piers are structures completly resembling the top of the central spire, including the 'face' part as well as the top opening where the jumpers come out of. IMO they are additional jumper bays, it is the only thing that makes sense.

freyr's mother
October 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM
No. Take a look at the city when they show it all. On three of the piers are structures completly resembling the top of the central spire, including the 'face' part as well as the top opening where the jumpers come out of. IMO they are additional jumper bays, it is the only thing that makes sense.

Those are drone vents. Watch siege II drones come out of them. Not jumpers.

Detox
October 6th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I'm pretty sure we can get a PJ count from the ep because...

- Rodney told Sheppard that there were about 20 people on the base with the ATA gene.

- And during the scene in the jumper bay, Sheppard said they were going to fly every single jumper they had.

So there should actually be a surplus of pilots rather than a shortage of jumpers.

Also, a little off topic, but doesn't Atlantis have a small compliment of 302s? Or how else would you explain why there's at least one 302 pilot on base.

Jumper_One
October 7th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Also, a little off topic, but doesn't Atlantis have a small compliment of 302s? Or how else would you explain why there's at least one 302 pilot on base.

didn't they use 302s in First Strike to redirect the asteroid? although they could've come from the Apollo

SmallTimePerson
October 7th, 2007, 05:32 AM
didn't they use 302s in First Strike to redirect the asteroid? although they could've come from the Apollo

They did as Colonel Sheppard (I think) got Ellis to beam Lorne up to the 302s to lead the wing.

Sicktem
October 7th, 2007, 08:27 AM

- Rodney told Sheppard that there were about 20 people on the base with the ATA gene.

- And during the scene in the jumper bay, Sheppard said they were going to fly every single jumper they had.

So there should actually be a surplus of pilots rather than a shortage of jumpers.

You're right. I just went back and counted the number of people Sheppard and Mckay were addressing and there's more people than there were jumpers that flew out. I can't get an exact number since Mckay and Sheppard's head are blocking a few people. But there's 16 heads which I was able to visibly see, plus a few more that were blocked from view, plus Mckay and Sheppard.

Ripple in Space
October 7th, 2007, 08:55 AM

I think it would be more likely that a few of the people Shepp was talking to were just completely unfit to do fly jumpers, or they were needed in the city (i.e.- doctors). This assumption is based on the fact that we know that there are at least 2 jumper bays, and the secondary one alone had at least a dozen, probably more.

garhkal
October 7th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Those are drone vents. Watch siege II drones come out of them. Not jumpers.

I have, and the places i saw the drones come out of were on the edges of platforms.. If i had a screenshot capable program i would show what i am on about..

PG15
October 7th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Well, these are the drone vents:

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s1/120/html/siege252.html

SmallTimePerson
October 7th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I have, and the places i saw the drones come out of were on the edges of platforms.. If i had a screenshot capable program i would show what i am on about..

If you have a record of the show in some form (DVD etc.) just hit the "printscreen" button located to the right of the backspace button.
Then paste the image into some sort of image program (paint is fine) and save.

garhkal
October 8th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Well, these are the drone vents:

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s1/120/html/siege252.html

And that is differen from what i am looking at..

If you have a record of the show in some form (DVD etc.) just hit the "printscreen" button located to the right of the backspace button.
Then paste the image into some sort of image program (paint is fine) and save.

At this time neither of my laptop or my desktop are DVD capable... Then again i use my TV and dvd player to watch stuff.... So i have never needed to add one to the pc. Give me a little to see if i can screen cap from the TV/.

PG15
October 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Just take a picture of the TV screen when that scene comes up then.

garhkal
October 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I don't seem to have a picture editor program... Crap.

Vala_M
October 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I know exactly the towers of which you speak of. In each of the 3 larger parts of Atlantis on the outside, the layout of the central towers is repeated on a smaller scale.

Vala,

PG15
October 8th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Oh, I know. Go here:

http://www.alecm.com/gallery.htm

Click on the Atlantis 3D models, and pick out the towers.

EDIT: Heh, I already know what you're talking about.

.jolinar.
October 8th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I'm sorry but whaton Earth are you guys accually talking about? I'f you refering to an episode you should quote it's title.

wise one
October 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM
if its just me then....

but when all the jumper exited the bay one of them had a red underglow

and it was the same with the jumper in return part 2 which was a different jumper since the thruster folded upwards....maybe that was the asuran jumper sheppard took in progeny?????

jenks
October 9th, 2007, 11:42 AM
The jumpers have had those red lights underneath since Rising.

garhkal
October 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM
THanks vala... Finally someone knows what i was on about..

.jolinar.
October 9th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Oh, that episode frst aired about three hours ago, it was pretty awsome, pity about the asteroid damage tho.

Atlanis
October 9th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Drones are arn't that long so I'd say they are all pre loaded in the launchers when built and then reloaded form the mothership or station

sg1adam
October 10th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Is that was this is of? the drone vent http://www.alecm.com/images/gallery/galleryBIG_ATLcity_v05.0010.jpg

The circular area at the end of the pier?

PG15
October 10th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah, that's definitely the drone vent.

captain jake
December 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I found it kinda hard to believe that so many unexperienced pilots could go through that without at least one crashing into an asteroid.

Jumper_One
December 10th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I found it kinda hard to believe that so many unexperienced pilots could go through that without at least one crashing into an asteroid.

they were all very lucky ;)

captain jake
December 10th, 2007, 12:03 PM
they were all very lucky ;)

Clearly,

I was just thinking wouldn't it have been so much cooler if a few people would have refused and been thrown in the brig. (Does Atlantis have a brig?)

garhkal
December 10th, 2007, 02:29 PM
While it would have been a little more realistic to see some refuse due to the danger, even those would have known the risk was not too great since it was the city itself under threat.

Jumper_One
December 10th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Clearly,

I was just thinking wouldn't it have been so much cooler if a few people would have refused and been thrown in the brig. (Does Atlantis have a brig?)

yes Atlantis has a brig, just Atlantean style. but I doubt any civilians would've ended up in the brig. sure the military guys would have to follow Shep's orders but all the scientists could basically do whatever they felt was necessary

captain jake
December 10th, 2007, 06:23 PM
yes Atlantis has a brig, just Atlantean style. but I doubt any civilians would've ended up in the brig. sure the military guys would have to follow Shep's orders but all the scientists could basically do whatever they felt was necessary

Is that true though? I mean if one of the guys refused couldn't Sheppard do something? How else would they keep the peace in extreme circumstances. Scientists have to answer to somebody don't they?

Jumper_One
December 11th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Is that true though? I mean if one of the guys refused couldn't Sheppard do something? How else would they keep the peace in extreme circumstances. Scientists have to answer to somebody don't they?

hm I'm not sure. in s1-3 Shep was the military commander and managed the civilian and political stuff. like I said Shep could order his people but this is not the case with Weir. however again this was a desperate situation (Weir injured, the city in space literally adrift), you'd probably have to try to convince the noin-military personnel with the gene

Lythisrose
December 11th, 2007, 08:50 AM
perhaps a state of martial law is understood during these kinds of circumstances?

Jumper_One
December 11th, 2007, 09:01 AM
perhaps a state of martial law is understood during these kinds of circumstances?

maybe but then the question would be who has the power to declare martial law? and what if this person is captured/injured/otherwise unavailable?

Lythisrose
December 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM
maybe but then the question would be who has the power to declare martial law? and what if this person is captured/injured/otherwise unavailable?

I'm not sure...
On a real military base, what is the "chain of command" when it comes to civilian contractors? If the base were under attack?
And in everyday life, in our cities, what happens when there is some sort of crisis? Do people have to follow military orders? I'm thinking of things like hurricanes, earthquakes, riots, etc.???????? I really don't know.

Jumper_One
December 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure...
On a real military base, what is the "chain of command" when it comes to civilian contractors? If the base were under attack?
And in everyday life, in our cities, what happens wen there is some sort of crisis? Do people have to follow military orders? I'm thinking of things like hurricanes, earthquakes, riots, etc.???????? I really don't know.

neither do I, maybe someone else any idea

ngewakl
January 16th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Just started watching season 4. I agree that was a very good scene except a real asteroid field would be easy to navigate even with the whole city. But good scene anyway

Fenrir Foxz
January 17th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Just started watching season 4. I agree that was a very good scene except a real asteroid field would be easy to navigate even with the whole city. But good scene anyway

That would depend upon the size of the asteroids and their proximity to each other... It was a good episode, I liked it that they actually got round to using loads of Jumpers together in one scene...

escyos
June 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM
i think the drones are automatically reloaded perhaps a tube extends from the wall to the jumper and loads them in.