This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kawoosh Question

umm why why have the Kawoosh at all just set it up so you can tell the gate to do it only if you want to have the kawoosh because it is not always needed and its very dangerous so why have it every time
    I'm also know as "Meredith" on Keepthegateopen.net and SG community.com
    "No it only sound ridiculous till you hear yourself say I'm trapped on a spaceship stuck in a time dilation field."

http://sg1.stargatecommunity.com/eluvatar

Because the ancients thought it was pretty?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Kawoosh isn't something the Ancients added, it's just the result of a wormhole forming...

Comment

Originally posted by eluvatar View Post
        umm why why have the Kawoosh at all just set it up so you can tell the gate to do it only if you want to have the kawoosh because it is not always needed and its very dangerous so why have it every time
        It isn't there for decorational purposes. It's to do with the establishing of the connection between the Stargates. Meaning it's a necessary process. For the wormhole to activate it is needed. What they sometimes do is is close the Iris, that prevents it from wooshing out. Then they step through. If the Iris wasn't closed, then it would still happen. The Ancients had been using the things for over 50 million years. So I don't think any of them would ever have been stupid enough to stand in front of it while the gate had been dialling.

For other races, I don't seriously think they had been worrying about them in future. Simply put: If they were smart enough to decipher what the Stargate was, then manage to get coordinates to other planets. Then they should be smart enough not to stand in front of the thing when a connection is taking place!

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
          It isn't there for decorational purposes. It's to do with the establishing of the connection between the Stargates. Meaning it's a necessary process. For the wormhole to activate it is needed. What they sometimes do is is close the Iris, that prevents it from wooshing out. Then they step through. If the Iris wasn't closed, then it would still happen. The Ancients had been using the things for over 50 million years. So I don't think any of them would ever have been stupid enough to stand in front of it while the gate had been dialling.

For other races, I don't seriously think they had been worrying about them in future. Simply put: If they were smart enough to decipher what the Stargate was, then manage to get coordinates to other planets. Then they should be smart enough not to stand in front of the thing when a connection is taking place!
          The NOX, Chaya, and Cassie ( 1969) dial the gate without the kawooosh!

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
            dont forget the asgard!!!!!!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
              dont forget the asgard!!!!!!!!
              My bad. I stand corrected . Bet the Furlings could do it as well

Comment

ya that is why I was asking I doubt it was for looks and It has been formed with out a kawoosh so why not have in an option on the dhds
                I'm also know as "Meredith" on Keepthegateopen.net and SG community.com
                "No it only sound ridiculous till you hear yourself say I'm trapped on a spaceship stuck in a time dilation field."

http://sg1.stargatecommunity.com/eluvatar

Comment

The non-kawoosh system probably uses some exotic system that the Ancients didn't think of or that can't be created by the lower-energy systems of the DHDs.
                  When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                  Zatnikitelman

Comment

I think it's a side effect of the wormhole. Wait a sec, I've got a magazine that has how the FX are made, I'll see if it explains.

Comment

Nope, it just says that it is "a massive blast of energy realeased each time the stargate is opened."

Comment

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargat...9#The_Wormhole :

Once an address is dialed, the gate is said to have created a "stable wormhole" between itself and the gate dialed. The creation process is depicted with great consistency, and hence has become one of the defining motifs of Stargate, at times being central in both the SG-1 and Atlantis title sequences. It involves the generation of the "puddle of water" portal which lasts roughly 2 seconds, and is completed by the ejection of an unstable energy vortex called the "kawoosh" (since Crusade),[21] resembling a surge of water or quicksilver. The "kawoosh" is portrayed as a symbol of the Stargate's power, invariably causing characters to be awed.[22] Any matter which comes into contact with the "kawoosh" effect is destroyed, as is dramatically demonstrated by a pair of smoking shoes in the episode "Prisoners".[23]

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post

i sometimes thought that when the gate dials without a kawoosh it's sort of like a "re-call" on a phone. the subspace connection is already in place between 2 places and, in the early seasons, they came up with an idea that you can just press a button and it automatically opens the gate tothe place you just came from (with inverted matter flow)
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                            i sometimes thought that when the gate dials without a kawoosh it's sort of like a "re-call" on a phone. the subspace connection is already in place between 2 places and, in the early seasons, they came up with an idea that you can just press a button and it automatically opens the gate tothe place you just came from (with inverted matter flow)
                            How to dial a gate properly

Comment

Its how they got rid of thier rubbish

Comment

Working...
                              X