Clear All

Shield in Adrift .SPOILERS

spoilers!!! for 4x01 adrift
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Spoiler:
    in adrift, McKay shrunk the shield to just around the main tower to conserve power while floating in space. does anyone know why he couldnt have done this in 3x20 when they were being attacked by the laser? sure its risky that it might move, but the laser was only aiming at the main tower and it probably would have saved them alot of energy
    any theories?
    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

It may have been because it would have taken too long to reconfigure the shield to shrink it, shutting it off completely is faster and simpler. Either that or the shield just around the tower was still sucking too much power.
    "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Comment

but it would have been better than the full thing and it didnt seem to take mckay too long to do-especialy compared to all the time they spent under the laser before going to hyperspace
      I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

The Asurans were controlling it.
        If they had done that... the Asurans would have shot the unshielded parts.

Aldo, we don't know what effect the energy beam would have on shields that are changing their configuration.

Comment

as the shield shrunk, it could only get stronger-if they used the same amount of energy to power it over the smaller space that is

Comment

Originally posted by corey2002 View Post
            as the shield shrunk, it could only get stronger-if they used the same amount of energy to power it over the smaller space that is
            We know from The Rising that vital parts in Atlantis are shielded better, therefore, the tower with the main ZPM conduits has, probably, the best shielding.

Voila ...

Spoiler:

Comment

Problem with using a limited shielding against the laser was that it was a controlled weapon as already mentioned and the Asurans would have redirected the beam to the unshielded parts thus destroying the city piece by piece. Plus, remember that the Expedition didnt know what they were about to face....

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by corey2002 View Post
                but it would have been better than the full thing and it didnt seem to take mckay too long to do-especialy compared to all the time they spent under the laser before going to hyperspace
                Short answer - It's a plot point. They do what they need for the particular ep, even if it screws up something that they should have done previously but didn't.

If you asked JM this, then I beleive his answer would be that the ZPM didn't have enough power to raise it at all for that minute, even around the central tower itself.

Comment

Let me make this painfully clear for you.

Shrinking the shield is not only dangerous, but haphazard. They shrunk the shield out of necessity, and it's not something the shield was designed to do. If McKay had shrunk it earlier, and say.. the beam twirled around, they wouldn't have been able to expand it fast enough to not get damaged/destroyed. Also, escape would have been impossible since exist velocity/friction would have torn atlantis apart WITHOUT THE SHIELD fully aorund the city.

Comment

Is it just me or are the CG models of Atlantis getting cheap? Those pics of the shield shrunk look like the city is just a plastic model, no lights, no colors or textures, the model at the end of "Adrift" was the same way, just made the city glow yellow instead of the individual lights inside the buildings like in "Progeny".

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s3/3...rogeny436.html
                    That looks very realisitic and well done

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s3/3...trike1102.html
                    That looks totally fake by comparison

Vala,

Comment

Vala I must agree with you Sorry for the bad quality

Pics with Atlantis before S4:

Spoiler:

No comparison to S4 Atlantis. Dunno whats going on but its not good!

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post

Spoiler:

the answer is simple, the version most people have seen so far has not got all the cgi detail yet, wait until Adrift comes out on Friday and i bet that Atlantis looks as good as the ones in ur message.
                        sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by IWKYZerocool View Post
                          the answer is simple, the version most people have seen so far has not got all the cgi detail yet, wait until Adrift comes out on Friday and i bet that Atlantis looks as good as the ones in ur message.
                          Exactly I mean come on we now know the episodes that were leaked were unfinished that means the visual effects were also uncomplete. Scifi would never let visuals like that as the final product. It's obviously test visuals which is something done during production just to get a feel as to how the episode flows then finished in post. As to the shield I agree with what most have siad it was too dangerous and risky to do something it wasn't designed to in that situation. The Asurans would have simply rotated the device and destroyed parts of the city making it impossible for us to fly it out of there.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by IWKYZerocool View Post
                            that and all lights and power was off to the entire city except for the shielded area

another question i just thought of is: where r the shield generators-normaly the shield emanates from the edges of the city and works its way to the top of the tower, but for only the tower to be shielded, wouldnt the generators have to be at its base? wouldnt the generators have to be at the edges of where the shield starts? generators at he edges of the city can not "send" the shield to the tower, they would have to be connected to it. right?

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post

Spoiler:

Don't forget my cynical friend that, that may not be the finished quality. The ep released was unfinished, so may not be the finished product. I'm assuming it is, but you know what i'm like with assumptions. But I agree, not one of their best shots. But as per usual i'll reserve judgement until the end result and see what it's like. I loved the shots from Progeny, but Adrift shots of the city, did look a bit off.

Comment

Working...
                              X