• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Glider Question

In the show Death Gliders had a cockpit and seats but in the movie
    they had no closed cockpit. It looked like the pilot was lying down
    to operate the glider. You don't really get a good look at how they
    were flown in the movie.

Were the movie style gliders ever used in the series?

I also find the name funny because both styles have engines don't they?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

The original ones looked like they were sitting, but they were open topped (why?), but yes, the writers of SG-1 wanted to make them Space-worthy, so they needed a closed-top.
    Disliked a recent episode?
    Hate the current season Stargate Atlantis or SG1?
    The writers killed off your favourite character?

Well suck it up Cupcake. It is only a Television Show.

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Templar View Post
      The original ones looked like they were sitting, but they were open topped (why?), but yes, the writers of SG-1 wanted to make them Space-worthy, so they needed a closed-top.
      They were closed topped, u can be sure of that. They just looked open due to how it was shot (i.e through the glass pannelling of cockpit)
      sigpic

Comment

Nope, the movie gliders did look different than the series ones and they were in fact open topped. It can be clearly seen in the movie, we can see the Horus guard pilots clearly without a glimpse of a glass cockpit anywhere. Also, there was a toy death glider which was part of the movie merchandise. Also with the Horus guard and no cockpit.

Here's a screencap that shows it:
        http://scifiunited.com/community/ind...q=si&img=58397
        Last edited by Hotep Ka Heru'ur; 22 September 2007, 08:40 PM.

Club Mats likes you.

Comment

they were most defiantly different. I think the wings even folded up on the side.
          Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by Hotep Ka Heru'ur View Post
            Nope, the movie gliders did look different than the series ones and they were in fact open topped. It can be clearly seen in the movie, we can see the Horus guard pilots clearly without a glimpse of a glass cockpit anywhere.
            Actually Teal'c mentioned early on that the Goa'uld often use energy fields rather than glass on their crafts. They're clearly not the same death gliders from the series, but it doesn't mean that they don't exist in the series. They could easily be space-worthy if an energy field encompasses the top. We have seen at least one other type of retired glider, that was designed to go through stargates that Bra'tak & Hammond flew.
            sigpic
            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
              Actually Teal'c mentioned early on that the Goa'uld often use energy fields rather than glass on their crafts. They're clearly not the same death gliders from the series, but it doesn't mean that they don't exist in the series. They could easily be space-worthy if an energy field encompasses the top. We have seen at least one other type of retired glider, that was designed to go through stargates that Bra'tak & Hammond flew.

And I think I remember that episode......

It looked like Hammond was having a ball flying and taking down names
              hehe....

Pity Earth forces never invested in more fighters that could fly
              through an open gate
              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Ah yeah, that modified "Gate Glider" is pretty cool, pity we didnt see more of them. What is with that? Is it a prototype that was never put into mass-production, or a discontinued model or something?

Gate Glider

and in the Gate-Glider Cockpit

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                  The udajeets wre aircrafts, and the masks Ra's men used was plain enough for the protection they needed.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

It's funny how there are obvious differences, but the show used footage from the movie of the gliders flyin about. It's throughout most of the series. To their credit, though, they never show movie footage from the top, only the bottom of the gliders.
                    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
                    Mark Twain

Daniel Jackson and Sam Carter are the kinds of nerds I want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiefer13 View Post
                      Ah yeah, that modified "Gate Glider" is pretty cool, pity we didnt see more of them. What is with that? Is it a prototype that was never put into mass-production, or a discontinued model or something?
                      i think that's right, they were too hard to fly through gates, was the main reason,
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

BRA'TAC: The STARGATE is most defensible. To be assured of victory, we will require an advantage, one hidden away, forgotten when I was still First Prime of APOPHIS.

HAMMOND: Why?

BRA'TAC: Few pilots could master it.

HAMMOND: And how long ago was it?

BRA'TAC: Some.hundred years. The forest has changed much in that time.

TEAL'C: There is an old Jaffa saying, General HAMMOND - they do not build them as they once did.

BRA'TAC: (uncovers what appears to be an ancient Death Glider.) Here!

HAMMOND: You intend to fly this thing?

BRA'TAC: Not I. Threading the needle is a skill for the young.
                        It seems to be a very old type of glider that isn't used anymore because it was too hard to fly through the gates. As for Ra's Gliders... they were used to instill fear in the population of Abydos, they didnt have tops because they didn't need to fly in space. Or they had retractable tops (using the same technology as the masks) for when it was raining or for spacetravel!

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                          Or they had retractable tops (using the same technology as the masks) for when it was raining or for spacetravel!
                          lol, probably,
                          although rain on abydos? not particularly likely,
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

Not on Abydos, but maybe on one of Ra's other planets? He was Supreme System Lord so must have had more than one!

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                              Not on Abydos, but maybe on one of Ra's other planets? He was Supreme System Lord so must have had more than one!
                              good point, i guess if he didn't he would never need to leave abydos at all.
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              Quotes!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X