• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Essential Scripts Book

From Titan Publishing Group:

http://www.titanmagazines.com/bookscompetitions.html#

Stargate SG-1: The Essential Scripts

We have 10 copies of the great tie-in book: Stargate SG-1: The Essential Scripts to give away -- the first ever publication of scripts from Stargate SG-1, the hit TV series spin-off from the blockbuster action-adventure movie Stargate!

Simply click here:

http://www.titanmagazines.com/booksnewsletters.html

and join our mailing list and you will be automatically entered into our superb competition.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Got it for my birthday - no need to enter contest!
    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Here's a simple question for anyone who has purchased this book: Exactly what scripts does it contain?
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
        Here's a simple question for anyone who has purchased this book: Exactly what scripts does it contain?
        I haven't purchased it (yet) but it sounds interesting. The scripts included are:
        The Torment of Tantalus
        The Fifth Race
        Window of Opportunity
        Wormhole X-treme!
        Abyss

Here's more information from the Gateworld write-up

First up is "Stargate SG-1: The Essential Scripts" from Titan Books in the U.K. (publisher of the Illustrated Companion series). In addition to a collection of scripts from the show, the 352-page book also includes commentary and background material, photos, interviews with the writers, and an in-depth introduction to writing for the show.

Here's one person's opinion. One of those "why don't you get a life instead of getting this book" reviews. LOL!

http://www.sci-fi-online.50megs.com/...ateScripts.htm

Hopefully someone else in this forum will have the book and comment. I'd be interested in a few other opinions!

Last edited by keshou; 05 September 2004, 01:39 PM.
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Thanks for the info. Odd choice of episodes, though. I'll probably pick it up, but I hope they'll publish more scripts besides these.

One script I'd really like to see would be the feature film script that was re-written to become the 'Lost City' episodes. I've been wondering how it would differ in many aspects, like how it would play out if there were no season 7...
          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Even the first episode written draft was quite different in many parts to the actual episode. (From what I saw Teal'c had a lot of "well duh" dialogue, like in Death Knell, i.e. "This cavern appears to have been long abandoned" )

Comment

Those episodes are supposebely the "best" episodes in the season. (according to a review)
              O'Neill: Right, Carter you can fix it right?
              Carter: Uh, I don't know sir...
              O'Neill: What?!!??
              -From Red Sky

Comment

I don't think 2010 or Wormhole X-TREME! were that great. All the other choices are awesome.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Why no season 3 episode?

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                    I haven't purchased it (yet) but it sounds interesting. The scripts included are:
                    The Torment of Tantalus
                    The Fifth Race
                    Window of Opportunity
                    Wormhole X-treme!
                    Abyss

Here's more information from the Gateworld write-up

First up is "Stargate SG-1: The Essential Scripts" from Titan Books in the U.K. (publisher of the Illustrated Companion series). In addition to a collection of scripts from the show, the 352-page book also includes commentary and background material, photos, interviews with the writers, and an in-depth introduction to writing for the show.

Here's one person's opinion. One of those "why don't you get a life instead of getting this book" reviews. LOL!

http://www.sci-fi-online.50megs.com/...ateScripts.htm

Hopefully someone else in this forum will have the book and comment. I'd be interested in a few other opinions!

Hm. This reviewer obviously doesn't know much about writing. He notes that all the scripts are too long--if filmed exactly, would be longer than the 44 minutes of airtime that each episode is. He claims that this is "shoddy writing." Well, as a writer myself, I can tell you that it is _far_ easier to write something that is too long and edit it to be shorter than to write it too short and have to figure out something to put in. And writing too long and editing it shorter almost always results in tighter writing than if you just wrote it to the proper length in the first place, besides making editing easier. This holds true (in my experience) whether one is writing term papers or novels or poetry or articles or _anything_. And every writing/english class or book I've ever seen has suggested doing it. I can't imagine that scriptwriting would be any different.
                    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Howdy Campers,

This may have already been posted -- or may not even belong under the "General Discussion" topic. But, I'd like to discuss the book "The Essential Scripts" in general terms so ... yeah, I know, I'm using the word in the definition. Okay, moving on...

Has anyone picked up the book "The Essential Scripts?" I got a few weeks ago and think it's great. It's really neat to see the scripts in their original form. I also thought it was interesting to see what the writing deemed "essential" when it comes to writing for the show. I was very happy to see "The Fifth Race" and "Abyss" in print -- it's good to see how things were added or deleted -- and where the actors improvised and in some cases why they did what they did. The images were great -- there are a few I'd like to have in color on my walls

I did find the comment about how it's frustrating for the writing team to get feedback from fans saying they need to write more team episodes interesting. I mean I've been a proponent for team episodes, especially now in Season 8 where things are a little shaky in that department. But I think -- now that I've read the writers comments on that -- I'm going to stop criticizing a "weak team" episode. Season 8 is a great place to flesh out all of the back stories that have been on hold for the past 7 years. Episodes can be dynamic when it focuses around one or two characters -- look at "Solitudes" and "Abyss."

I guess what my nattering boils down to, it that the book "The Essential Scripts" gave me more insight on how the writers write for SG-1 and why they write what they write. And as cheesy as it may sound, I appreciate their work more and look forward to seeing what they come up with for the future.

Am I alone on this thought, or might there be others who feel this way too?
                      Bander

"LTS" -- Mr. Richard Dean Anderson

"I only understand one percent of what she says half the time." -- Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Working...
                      X