Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the writers so afraid of romantic relationships between the characters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are the writers so afraid of romantic relationships between the characters?

Seriously, I don't understand what the writers are afraid of. Some of the main characters could be romantically involved without it turning into a soap opera or something. And the real problem is that, there have been so many opportunities.
    Let's take Sam & Jack. We have gotten so many "what if..." episodes that it makes me abseloutly furious. In the end teasing doesn't get you anywhere. Every opportunity these 2 have gotten, has been wasted. The same with Sam & Rodney, Rodney & Weir, Sheppard & Weir, Sheppard & Teyla, Ronon & Teyla, Daniel & Vala (their memories were conveniantly wiped in 'Unending' *sigh*), I could go on.
    The writers should either completely drop the idea of these characters getting romantically involved with eachother or just have them (the characters) get it on.
    Doesn't it bother anyone else?
    sigpic

Originally posted by SpyDude View Post
    Seriously, I don't understand what the writers are afraid of. Some of the main characters could be romantically involved without it turning into a soap opera or something. And the real problem is that, there have been so many opportunities.
    Let's take Sam & Jack. We have gotten so many "what if..." episodes that it makes me abseloutly furious. In the end teasing doesn't get you anywhere. Every opportunity these 2 have gotten, has been wasted. The same with Sam & Rodney, Rodney & Weir, Sheppard & Weir, Sheppard & Teyla, Ronon & Teyla, Daniel & Vala (their memories were conveniantly wiped in 'Unending' *sigh*), I could go on.
    The writers should either completely drop the idea of these characters getting romantically involved with eachother or just have them (the characters) get it on.
    Personally, I'd vote for dropping the whole 'relationships between team mates' schtick all together.
    The writers have proved time and again that they can't write mature, realistic relationships between two characters so they should just drop the whole idea and leave it to show runners such Joss Wheldon and those who did Farscape who clearly are good enough writers to carry it off.
    They should stick to what they are good at; strong, team driven adventure stories.

They don't need to neuter the characters, they could stick to off screen spouses and relationships, mentioned in passing rather than trying to write clumsy and unrealistic plotlines which frustrate those who like the relationship and annoy all of us who don't.

YMMV, of course.

FF
    sigpic

Comment

Yes it bothers me,the Jack/Sam relationship however was never gonna work because of the Military regs which kinda suxs cause i would have liked to see them get together but as for John/Teyla,well Teyla's not Military or from Earth so they don't have regs to follow.
      I mean why give us glimpses of them maybe having feelings for each other if they aren't gonna explore it,it's just a waste of time then ain't it and it leaves some of us waiting anxiously for something that isn't gonna happen and at the end of the day we're just very frustrated and disappointed!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
        Yes it bothers me,the Jack/Sam relationship however was never gonna work because of the Military regs which kinda suxs cause i would have liked to see them get together but as for John/Teyla,well Teyla's not Military or from Earth so they don't have regs to follow.
        I mean why give us glimpses of them maybe having feelings for each other if they aren't gonna explore it,it's just a waste of time then ain't it and it leaves some of us waiting anxiously for something that isn't gonna happen and at the end of the day we're just very frustrated and disappointed!
        I always thought that the military issue was a poor excuse. I'm pretty sure that considering how important both Jack & Carter are, noone would dare to kick them off the army. The army 'thing' is so eggaretated in the series.
        Otherwise agree with you 100%, it's pointless to tease. In my opinion some romantical relationships have the potential to really develope characters. Anyway, that has been one of my biggest problems with the 2 shows (I still love them though).
        sigpic

Comment

I always thought that the military issue was a poor excuse. I'm pretty sure that considering how important both Jack & Carter are, noone would dare to kick them off the army. The army 'thing' is so eggaretated in the series.
          Otherwise agree with you 100%, it's pointless to tease. In my opinion some romantical relationships have the potential to really develope characters. Anyway, that has been one of my biggest problems with the 2 shows (I still love them though).
          Ah yes,the amount of times they've saved Earth i think they'd give them some leeway!

Yes if it's done right it could be a good thing,i mean they don't have to become all lovey dovey,i definately wouldn't want that but why tease us if they aren't gonna go anywhere with it!
          sigpic

Comment

This is what I mean; those of us who don't like a 'ship have to suffer through it, those who do like it also have to suffer the writers dangling a carrot in front of them with no payoff. It's a loose/loose situation.

From your example, Sam and Jack; they were never going to give any realistic closure while the series was running. Bridge Studios and MGM were too proud of the US Airforce backing to risk annoying them by showing two officers in a compromising situation.

Now the series is over, the fans of that relationship have a better chance of seeing something, but SG1 the TV series is 'closed canon': the show is over, any films or mini series are a bonus, not part of the show itself, a codicil as it were, so they have a bit more flexibility.

FF
            sigpic

Comment

Why are the writers so afraid of romantical relationships between the characters?
              Because they can't write it.
              sigpic
              My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
                Because they can't write it.
                Nailed it in one! Well done!

FF
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                  This is what I mean; those of us who don't like a 'ship have to suffer through it, those who do like it also have to suffer the writers dangling a carrot in front of them with no payoff. It's a loose/loose situation.

From your example, Sam and Jack; they were never going to give any realistic closure while the series was running. Bridge Studios and MGM were too proud of the US Airforce backing to risk annoying them by showing two officers in a compromising situation.

Now the series is over, the fans of that relationship have a better chance of seeing something, but SG1 the TV series is 'closed canon': the show is over, any films or mini series are a bonus, not part of the show itself, a codicil as it were, so they have a bit more flexibility.

FF

Yes true,not everyone is a fan of ship but i just wish if they are gonna imply feelings then just do it or just stop dangling carrots in front of our faces,it just annoys everybody!
                  sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Then they need new writers lol. And what do I hear about a new boyfriend for Teyla? This idea sucks. I think that's even more boring for non-shippers than having, for example, Teyla & Sheppard together.
                    Last edited by SpyDude; 16 September 2007, 10:52 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Then they need new writers lol. And what do I hear about a new boyfriend for Teyla? This idea sucks. I think that's even more boring for non-shippers than having, for example, Teyla & Sheppard together.
                      Possible season 4 spoiler
                      Spoiler:
                      All that's been said is a love interest or someone taking an interest,don't know if it's an actual boyfriend or not...I mean how could she keep that secret for the past 3 years,we've discussed this at great length at the JT thread and they've come to the same conclussion!
                      sigpic

Comment

I would say that a big part of why they don't commit to a relationship between any of the main characters is that they are afraid of upsetting other viewers.

If, for example, they commit to a Sam/Jack ship, show their wedding, them living happily together, etc, the while they may please Sam/Jack shippers, they're going to upset fans who pair one or both characters with another character because this will essentially mean that their favoured pairing isn't ever going to happen and fans who are opposed to Sam/Jack ship for other reasons.

At this point, I think that the Sam/Jack ship has come so far that it needs to be resolved but I think that if it is resolved, it will be in the movies or on Atlantis. Ironically, it probably has a better chance now that SG-1 is all but over.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Possible season 4 spoiler
                          Spoiler:
                          All that's been said is a love interest or someone taking an interest,don't know if it's an actual boyfriend or not...I mean how could she keep that secret for the past 3 years,we've discussed this at great length at the JT thread and they've come to the same conclussion!
                          Spoiler:
                          Why 3 years? Maybe only a couple of months or something? And aren't they writing Rachel Luttrell's pregnancy into the S4 storyline? Perhaps it's the father of Teyla's unborn child or sth?
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't think they're afraid to write relationships, but SGA/SG1 is not a soap opera and to be perfectly honest seeing people continuously sucking each others faces off, doesn't appeal to me, and i'm both a shipper and non shipper respectively I like that people can see what they want to see without it being to overt, I like the UST, it makes things interesting, litlle looks, certain glances, words here and there. But overt? Not for me, and I don't think it would fit in with the whole atmosphere to be honest.

However, I would like to see resolutions to certain things, if it's been clear from the onset, but not until the very end.

Comment

Well, what about Vala & Daniel in 'Unending'? It was the last episode for heaven's sake. Another damn cop-out.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X