Why watch b5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why watch b5?

I am looking for a new show to watch. I love firefly, star wars, and of course stargate. Along with BSG. How does this show compare? I have never watched even one episode. AS a martial artist I just read somewhere that their is an ep of this show with a planet of fighters or underground fighters or somthing in the first season. Can anyone break down the show for me? THanks.

I think that episode is called TKO, it's not the best but it ain't bad either.

Anyhow back to B5, its a slow series at first - kinda like an old steam engine train starting off but it's got some fantastic characters and wonderful long story arcs and complex subplots. Season 1 is slow, but you shouldn't skip it because the Babylon-5 stoyline is very complex. By the time you get Season-2 you love the series and be addicted to the characters and at this stage the series starts moving at full steam.

watch out for the minbari warrior cast
    or mysterious 'shadows'
    those are some badass aliens

Comment

wow there is a sci fi fan who has not whatched b5 !!! well the reason to whatch b5 is mystery and action the piolt and the first season might be slow but when you get to season 3 you will be amazed

Comment

Reasons to watch Babylon 5? There are plenty!

For one, it was basically one of the first arc-based scifi shows for its time and set the ground rules for other great shows of the same nature (i.e. Star Trek DS9). Babylon 5 is basically a novel on television. The show grows and progresses and has a definite beginning, middle, and end.

The CGI, while not very impressive now, was revolutionary for its time. B5 also takes into account the physics of space ships and battles really well. They actually sat down with guys from NASA and discussed how to make the show more realistic.

Season one starts off slow but slowly grows and matures as episodes go by. Characters change drastically and contribute to the plot. It is very important to watch the show in order from beginning to end because missing one episode can mean missing some MAJOR plot points. Each season is also named after a specific episode which summarizes the season into a few words. They go like this:

Season One: Signs and Portents
        Season Two: The Coming of Shadows
        Season Three: Point of No Return
        Season Four: No Surrender, No Retreat
        Season Five: The Wheel of Fire

Trust me, as time goes by you're gonna LOVE the show. Lurker's Guide is an excellent guide to the B5 universe and has episode guides for every episode. There are also several movies and the spin-off series Crusade along with various comics/books/short stories which are considered canon. If you need any help, just look around some of the threads on this forum if you need help. And also don't be afraid to ask silly questions from time to time, many times they're not really silly at all.

Have fun!
        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

first season aint the best, but rest is superb( especially 2,3and4). The only epp i really hated was(1st season, around 10th epp) when some kid`s parents didnt want him to get medical care because of there religious believes. retraded epp imo rest is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
            It is very important to watch the show in order from beginning to end because missing one episode can mean missing some MAJOR plot points.
            On the other hand it isn't *critical*. Missing an episode here and there did not get you totally lost, unlike some shows. I appreciated that, as I tended to miss about four episodes a season.

Word to the wise: Don't look at an episode guide for an episode you haven't seen yet. It's much more fun to see it cold.
            Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Yeah, it's best to read through an episode guide for an episode after you see it. Just so you could better understand said episode.

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
              Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
              Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.

Comment

It has one of the best (if not THE best constructed) storyline of any scifi show I have ever seen.
                And I love arc-based scifi...
                And it is the only show that I can think of that uses flash forwards in such an intriguing manner.
                And the speeches... I love the speeches...
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Theimmortaljedi. The only reason you'll ever need to watch B5, is to witness the immortal "Ivanova Dance." IMO!
                  "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

LOL indeed! Life isn't complete until you've seen the Ivanova Dance!

Comment

it is easily the best sci-fi show ever.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

answer is quite simple. It's the best scifi ever made
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

You'll be disappointed in TKO. The fighting was more like boxing. And I don't seem to remember kickboxing. But... Ivanova sitting shiva was wonderfully scripted and played. Loved "Uncle Yassof".

Seriosly, B5 first season was a bit hit or miss. Good bones, but presentation was sometimes a bit lacking. Seasons 2 and 3 were great. As was much of action-packed season 4. Season 5 was again a bit hit or miss for various reasons.

suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

i think the first season was a bit hit or miss because often the acting of the supporting actors was a bit thin. this seemed to change very quickly though.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Most of the first season is... well, it has the usual problems of science fiction shows. Not to mention I'm not the biggest fan of Jeffrey Sinclair.
                              Spoiler:
                              Okay, I'm veyr far away from being one of Sheridan's fans, either, but at least the actor could actually act...

It's got some gems tho, namely the two parter towards the end, can't remember the title! argh. It does have one of the greatest Ivanova lines ever tho
                              Spoiler:
                              Repeat the Babylon 5 mantra: Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God!
                              - and I think the boom line is from there, too? And Babylon Squared which is great. But as people said, most of the seaosn is a set up for the main plot line that starts in season 2, and that's when the series starts getting into gear and become wonderful, even 15 years afterwards.

You so do want to give it a try.
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                              X