This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody wish Stargate would start being more like "lost"

I was watching the second episode of lost and something dawned one me, how cool stargate would be if it was written more like this.

Not in the actual show but the fact that its one "big" story and not as episodic that most scifi has. Watching lost and other shows (24 comes to mind, but thats a different type of story) is there isnt clear cut episodes like there is in startrek/stargate.

For instance Grace, Chimera, and Heroes Pt 1 & 2, they were all good epsidoes but had nothing to do with the SG1 story at the time (the new supersoilders, impending attack on earth etc)..... Atlantis is better at this right now but I would love to really see what Atlantis could do if they moved away from the typical episodic model and to a more 24/lost model where its like watching a season long movie.

And for atlantis to me "Hide and Seek", "CHILDHOOD'S END" are two examples of this.... where the episodes have nothing to do with the greater story being told.
    Movie Theater

"Traditional" TV executive thinking has held that viewers aren't willing to commit to a series strongly enough to watch EVERY episode. That is why most shows are episodic by nature.

The first show to seriously challange this was Babylon 5. While initially episodic, it told one well thought out and preplanned story. Especially during season 3 and 4 you could barely tell where one episode ended and another began.

Shows such as 24 have of course proven that this CAN be done. And most SciFi/Fantasy shows will now include at least an overarching story, even if they still do stand alone episodes in between (Stargate falls into that category). Even Star Trek's newest incarnation has been forced to abandon the purely episodic format in favor of 'story arcs'.

The problem with story arcs (from a creative standpoint) is that you have to plan it out in advance and then stick with it. This is fine if you have someone like JMS (Babylon 5), Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel) or J.J. Abrams (Alias and Lost) at the helm, but can be very difficult if there isn't a clear show runner, that is also the primary creative talent. I.e. the guy that says 'this is how it's going to be'. You can't write an ARC by commitee. Well you can, but I wouldn't advise it.

So to sum it up. If Stargate is to move in this direction it needs a firm hand at the helm and my impression has been that its currently being written by several people, with no one person as the 'creative lead'.

Comment

Originally posted by jagowar
      For instance Grace, Chimera, and Heroes Pt 1 & 2, they were all good epsidoes but had nothing to do with the SG1 story at the time (the new supersoilders, impending attack on earth etc)..... Atlantis is better at this right now but I would love to really see what Atlantis could do if they moved away from the typical episodic model and to a more 24/lost model where its like watching a season long movie.

Chimera and heroes nothing to do with the story line?????
      I dont get you???? Dunno what you mean? Wasn't heroes a main 2 parter in the midsession??
      concerning Chimera it was the end storyline for Osiris.

My personal statement:
      I like the way it is run.
      I wouldnt compare SGA and SG1 till there will be at least 3 seasons of SGA.

Ok and now.... who wants to give me red for not having the same opinion like the one who will give it to me?
      "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

People are just bound and determined to refuse to let SGA be its own show. Between Voyager comparisons and now "I wish it was more like..." I'm starting to wonder if original thoughts even exist anymore, and whether or not they are tolerated when they come up.
        Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan
          People are just bound and determined to refuse to let SGA be its own show. Between Voyager comparisons and now "I wish it was more like..." I'm starting to wonder if original thoughts even exist anymore, and whether or not they are tolerated when they come up.
          I'm all for Stargate being.... Stargate. It's certainly had it's own success, why would it need to be more like someone else's show?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
            I'm all for Stargate being.... Stargate. It's certainly had it's own success, why would it need to be more like someone else's show?
            I agree, samething for Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
              I agree, samething for Atlantis.
              Me too. I like BW style

btw. it belongs to a good serie that there's always something you dont like or something happens the way you dont want to.
              Disapointments should be there tooo. Otherwise i'd considere it just too boring too perfect and too fictitious

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
                Otherwise i'd considere it just too boring too perfect and too fictitious
                You know that's one of the arguments some people make about Star Trek...

Comment

Ehh... I've never seen 'Lost', but no, I don't wish Stargate was more like anything. I like Stargate being Stargate.
                  Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                    You know that's one of the arguments some people make about Star Trek...
                    Eeeeh, a big coincidence then. I do not generally watch Startrek.
                    What does that argument suppose to mean?

Comment

i like long story arcs, but only in reruns. For example, i've been taping Farscape when it's on at 3:00 in the morning, and they show 3 episodes at a time. That means that when there's a 3-parter, i can watch it all at once. If i had to wait three whole weeks to finish the story, it would annoy me and cause me to lose interest.

Comment

Working...
                      X