This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hullo, this is weird !!!

Many people say that Stargate Atlantis sucks, but has a great potential. That's my opinion too. I want to be taken into a dream of new landscapes discoveries.

But sometimes I try, and some details just make the dream crash down, and I remain on the floor with just one thing in my mind: "Who's the guy who decided that"?

Now who's the guy who's decided Weir should be called Weir, and is it the same guy who insisted that she should utter the phrase "This is Weir" every time she wants to talk to her team on the radio. Even I, not being a native Anglophone, can sense the ridicule of this.

The ridicule is even enhanced by the situation. When she says that, it is most often in critical situations, and she ends up with the constatation that she can do nothing about it, and just has to let her team do what is urgent and necessary.

This adding up with Wraiths as Halloween for children monsters, the Genii Booh! they dress like fascists, Atlantis not explored but with ready database like a convenient highschool library, oh my, just what are they doing with this show?
    No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
    I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
    Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

the way SG-1 Season 8 has been going lately i can forgive Atlantis anything as im beginning to live it above sg-1

Comment

i dont think its weired. Its possible that BECAUSE you are not a native speaker you feel so. I personally think its normal. Everybody in the radio can be called by his last name and they usually do so.
      "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
        i dont think its weired. Its possible that BECAUSE you are not a native speaker you feel so. I personally think its normal. Everybody in the radio can be called by his last name and they usually do so.
        I'd have to agree with that sentiment. Her name is similar to the word 'wierd', but phonetically quite distinct. The 'd' sound at the end of wierd should always be pronounced after all.

Nothing wierd about this at all

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
          Now who's the guy who's decided Weir should be called Weir, and is it the same guy who insisted that she should utter the phrase "This is Weir" every time she wants to talk to her team on the radio. Even I, not being a native Anglophone, can sense the ridicule of this.
          It is not uncommon in military and law enforcement situations for people to resort to using just a surname to refer to people. This eliminates the touchy issues of familiarity with superiors. She could be talking over an open channel where the other people on the system need to know who is speaking. We are lucky that they haven't given her a nice acronym to call herself by on the radio. Additionally we do not know how many other 'Elizabeth's there are on the expedition. It's a very common name.

Comment

I thought of the similarity, too, but I didn't think much of it. It does sound a little strange, though, and one would hope that she could come up with something besides, "This is Weir."
            Personally, I'm not very fond of her character, anyway. But maybe she's supposed to lack creativity and variety in her speech. Maybe it's a standard, so they can always be sure it really is Weir.
            Tripudire est irritus
            Jumping is useless

Nu ani Lunatas
            We are the Mooninites

Comment

WurdBendur:

Well you also say: "This is colonel O'Neill" or "this is major Carter" or "this is general hammond"
              But since Weir does not have a military rank she says only "This is Weir"
              When i listen to it i never think of a word wierd. Funny do you?
              So nuttin wierd at all!

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

rmbeast:
                What the hell does this have to do with this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
                  rmbeast:
                  What the hell does this have to do with this thread?
                  Was wondering the very same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                    Was wondering the very same thing...
                    At least he's not saying "ATLANTIZ SUX J00Z F001Z!!!11!!"

Furling God, I've never heard anyone say her name so that it sounds like "weird". If someone says "We're going to the shops" do you think they've said "Weird going to the shops"?

Comment

A good one with that "we're" DDDD

Comment

"This is Weir" sounds much better than "Weir here." (that's more of a phonetic issue) I suppose she could say "Weir speaking" but I don't see why it would be an issue because everyone knows what she's saying. Weir, while not the most common last name ever, IS her last name and anyone who would mock her is probably asking for the same treatment that one scientist got for whining at her instead of doing his job. Fans are always a different matter however, but I doubt many immediately thought weird when they heard her name. I didn't, still don't.

Like people have already stated, going by "Elizabeth" wouldn't be professional. She could slap "Dr." at the beginning but there's no real need to.

Comment

FH: Yeah Dr.Weir would soumd perhaps a bit better, Though i dont mind just "Weir"

Comment

With all those wraith monsters and the phantasms they create running all over the place, I'm betting she turns out to be a Weirwolf.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Weiry FunnY !!
                              sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Working...
                              X