This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egeria the Tok'ra Queen was Jesus???

I've been wondering about this for a while and a few searches here didn't seem to turn anything up. But SG seems to have some sort of alien relationship for most mythological and religious figures in our history, but with an obvious exception of Christianity. Probably so they wouldn't alienate any viewers, I'd imagine.

But it seems like they imply (loosely) who Jesus could have been - Egeria the Tok'ra queen. It was 2000 years ago that she changed her Goa'uld ways and started her rebel faction of Tok'ra. Can the 2000 years be merely coincidence to the time of Christ? Also, Christ was crucified (assumed dead and buried in the cave). But managed to rise a few days later and ascend to the heavens.

Well, as a Goa'uld and with a Sarcophagus, Egeria/Jesus could revive from the dead in a few days. And the ascension to the heavens could have been the rings transporting her/him to a ship.

Well, I said it was a loose implication. I not trying to anger anyone or anyone's religion, just wanted to know what others thought of this theory. I would be interested in hearing how I'm wrong, using the facts of the show and not any non-show/religious beliefs or feelings.

I know in one episode Teal'c mentions that no Goa'uld could emulate the God of the Bible, but you're probably write I imagine they stayed away from the God of the bible for the same reason that they stayed away from Allah, to many people to offend.

Funny that they didn't feel the same way about the Hindu religion, with Nirrti.

But, back to your point, I'm not sure that that was the implication, it's a bit vauge. Has anyone watched the commentary for that episode, is it mentioned at all?

Comment

In "Demons", Teal'c states, "I know of no goa'uld capable of showing the necessary compassion or benevolence that I have read of in your Bible."

Egeria was certainly not like other Goa'uld. I quite imagine she, like the other Tok'ra, preferred not to even be considered a goa'uld. So, it would have been possible for her to be like Jesus, as, far as the fact that she was not a goa'uld in the true sense, and did show compassion, but to say that a comparison to her and Jesus was intended is indeed a stretch, particularly as the idea of comparing Jesus's resurrection and the use of a sarcophagus is way out there. The sarcophagus is a device used by the Goa'uld, (not the Tok'ra, which again mars the possibility of a connection) which ultimately corrupts anyone who makes a habit of using it. Resurrection is more comparable to retaking human form after ascending.

Honestly, if any individual can be compared to Jesus in SG-1, it's Daniel. Sacrificing himself to save so many others, ascending to a higher plain, and ultimately coming back to Earth in his corporeal form. Of course, it still isn’t an exact comparison, and this, too, is most definitely not meant to be a Jesus reference, but the idea of it being so is rather a better fit.

As for other comparisons to Christianity, not to Jesus, and only as far as the corrupt, close-minded version of the religion, the Ori quite have that angle covered.

Speaking more on the Goa’uld now: Well, they take on the persona of many different gods and goddesses, generally (though not always, obviously) minor, never fully considering how these gods and goddesses really are, or meaning to fully act like them. All they care about is getting people to worship them, at times through pretending to be good, and so in some ways acting in the manner of the gods and goddesses they call themselves, but more often through fear, in no way truly acting like those generally benevolent ethereal beings, or genuinely encompassing the religions they’re from. Nirrti is fairly typical. She may be of Hindu influence as far as her name, but her actions as a goa'uld are in no way Hindu like, and while she may take her name from the goddess of destruction, that original Nirrti was not meant to be a truly evil force.
      The main exception to all of this, of course: Sokar, who was, quite understandably, very much like who he personified.

Comment

Wow, as a Christian, it's interesting I had never thought of this before.
        sigpicI love the Lord my God with all my heart!!!!http://www.geocities.com/Lessien2002 Save stargate sg1!!!! Let us shippers have a good resolution please!!!! My fanfiction http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1023184/- there's more to come!
        My GW fanfiction-http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...ogetherat.html
        http://www.fanfiction.net/c2/37559/3/0/1/-the c2 community sam/jack relationship community.
        http://www.petitiononline.com/P3X595/petition.html
        Now is the time for us to shine, to shine with the power of Christ Divine! The Lord has promised us revival and it WILL come!

Comment

Working...
        X