This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG Bigscreen?

Why not a made for theater Stargate movie?

Not enough fan-base to merit an attempt...

But, on the other hand, Firefly got picked up (Serenity) and released on cinemas so nothing's impossible...

I just don't see it happening though, with all these "lucrative" direct-to-dvd movies that seems to be the latest fashion for Sci-fi shows (Babylon 5, Farscape, Stargate)... Cheap, fast and will probably make more money than it cost to make them...

So why would they want to risk time and effort on a bigscreen adaption if they weren't sure they were gonna make lots and lots of money?

Unless it's an Emmerich sequel (god forbid!).
    Resident Swede on Gateworld Forum

Comment

It's because with a DVD movie budget (according to tptb) the SG-Movies are guaranteed to be profitable. On a feature budget, they'd probably loose lots of money, and while Beau & RDA are huge names by straight to DVD standards, they would barely even be a draw for a feature film.
      sigpic
      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
      ~David Hewlett

Comment

About Serenity, don't forget that Whedon was behind it. He already wrote ALIEN RESURRECTION, so he had better cards.
        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid View Post
          That was the original plan when the movie was going to be "Lost City," before it became the Season 7 finale. Had the show ended with Season 8, we would have had a theatrical movie about evil Ancients. Instead, that was fleshed out as the Ori. After Season 8, which saw the fall of the Goa'uld, the Replicators, and the loss of O'Neill as a main character, the show took went in a new direction with a new lead for Seasons 9-10. MGM probably felt that Mitchell and the Ori are good movie material, but not enough to warrant a theatrical release. I agree with this. The Ori saga would make good direct-to-video sales, but wouldn't earn enough theater tickets to warrant a theatrical release.

By the way, don't think direct-to-video means the movie will look cheap. I've seen a few direct-to-video movies that I thought were theatrical releases.

Comment

I'm pretty content with the route TPTB have taken with these movies. Overall, I think they'll make a lot more money off of these two movies going direct-to-DVD. And making more money, means a better chance of us getting more movies.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yeah if what RCC says is true, then there is basically no way that they will not make money on these films and if thats the case, that we can probably expect one or two of these films a year for some time and then once SGA ends they will probably start making films for them aswell which is much better than what happened with the ST film franchise, which would have ended with ST VI had the studio not wanted to make TNG films. And then again after ST X had JJ Abrams not wanted to reinvent the franchise.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                Yeah if what RCC says is true, then there is basically no way that they will not make money on these films and if thats the case, that we can probably expect one or two of these films a year for some time and then once SGA ends they will probably start making films for them aswell which is much better than what happened with the ST film franchise, which would have ended with ST VI had the studio not wanted to make TNG films. And then again after ST X had JJ Abrams not wanted to reinvent the franchise.
                Man, I sure hope so. One or two SG-1 films a year would so make me one happy camper. Some is better than none at all.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  Man, I sure hope so. One or two SG-1 films a year would so make me one happy camper. Some is better than none at all.
                  Definatly, If the films are as good as the series was, one or two a year would be a great subsititute for the show.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                    Definatly, If the films are as good as the series was, one or two a year would be a great subsititute for the show.
                    Personally, I have no doubt these movies will be at least as good as the show was. In fact, with all the work they've put into them, I wouldn't be surprised if they blow the show away.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

lost city was supposed to be the next big theater movie for stargate but of course it didn't happen

Comment

I already posted that earlier in the thread and explained why that didn't happen. To sum up, the movie was cancelled when SG-1 was renewed for an eighth season to air alongside Atlantis. Since the movie was suppose to bridge the two shows, it became the Season 7 finale, a special 84-minute episode. Now that the movie is back on, it will have a different plot: resolving the Ori saga.

Comment

Originally posted by HD89 View Post
                          Not enough fan-base to merit an attempt...

But, on the other hand, Firefly got picked up (Serenity) and released on cinemas so nothing's impossible...
                          I would think Firefly would be easier to do bigscreen compared to SG-1. I loved Firefly, but it had what, 10 episodes compared to 10 years of SG-1. I would be easier to get people in to watch Serenity, not as much backstory.

I'm happy they're going the DVD way, small town that I'm in probably wouldn't air the movie anyway. Serenity wasn't, even if the poster was up for weeks.
                          there’s a decent living to be made in the selling out of ideals--Darren Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post

By the way, don't think direct-to-video means the movie will look cheap. I've seen a few direct-to-video movies that I thought were theatrical releases.
                            I know it sounds really childish, but the Disney Aladdin movie (the first one, not the sequels) were great movies for a kid's audience and sold fairly well. Robin Williams was even in it.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson View Post
                              I know it sounds really childish, but the Disney Aladdin movie (the first one, not the sequels) were great movies for a kid's audience and sold fairly well. Robin Williams was even in it.
                              Aladdin was theatrical. Only the crappy sequels went straight to video.
                              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Working...
                              X