Babylon 5 Withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babylon 5 Withdrawal

After spending a week of watching Babylon 5 on Itunes Apple TV, I cried on the last episode and I wanted more. I wasnt a Bab5 fan during the show it airs on TNT because I didnt have cable then.

I was wondering why the show ended on season 5?

I watch the made for tv movies like Call to Arms and I liked it. But the other tv pilot is aweful like Crusade and Legend of the Rangers.
    sigpic
    The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Originally posted by Elitenova View Post
    After spending a week of watching Babylon 5 on Itunes Apple TV, I cried on the last episode and I wanted more. I wasnt a Bab5 fan during the show it airs on TNT because I didnt have cable then.

I was wondering why the show ended on season 5?

I watch the made for tv movies like Call to Arms and I liked it. But the other tv pilot is aweful like Crusade and Legend of the Rangers.

JMS had a 5 year arc planned out and no more beyond that. I didn't care very much for S4 and 5, but S1-3...Wow. I watched when it aired and absolutely loved it. I stil think it's the best Sci-Fi show I've ever seen. G'Kar has to be one of the most interesting, complex, fascinating characters I've ever seen. What a journey he went through. Kosh, Garibaldi, Ivanova, Londo...they were alls so great. I can still see the battle scene from "Severed Dreams"; I remember it giving me goose bumps when I saw it the first time.

Just fantastic writing, great characters and some fine actors.

Comment

I didnt care about s4 and 5, but they are great scifi show that aired during the 90's excluding Star trek. Why JMS didnt ask for more?
      sigpic
      The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Comment

He had planned for a five-season story arc from the beginning. That was the whole point of Babylon 5, the story had a clear beginning, middle and end. Even though that was somewhat spoiled by the threats of cancellation, which really came to a head during season 4. Sleeping in Light was shot as a finale to season 4, and that's why Claudia Christian is in the episode. When JMS got word that the show had been renewed for season 5, they moved the episode to the end, and quickly shot to my mind the weakest episode of the whole series, The Deconstruction of Falling Stars.

JMS did ask for more, in the form of Crusade. Unfortunately that show was sabotaged by the networks from the start and was canceled after 13 episodes. It had been intended as a 5*22 episode show just like B5.

I do hope the new Lost Tales will be a success, with many more to come.
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah B5 was always intended to be a 5-year arc from the beginning. Season one was a bit weak but still good. Though I think the heart of the show is still with seasons 2-4. Season 5, I think, was weak because as stated above, JMS thought the show would be canceled by the end of S4 so he tried to wrap up all the major storylines during that season. I think the Earth Alliance Civil War story arc was originally intended to go well into season 5. So when the show got renewed for a fifth season, JMS had to fill that gap with something (the Telepath Crisis), which ended up being pretty weak.

But yeah, don't worry, more Lost Tales are being planned right now so B5 is far from over! True some of the movies sucked (LotR for example) but others were excellent (In the Beginning, A Call to Arms). I still suggest you give Crusade a chance. TNT wanted to make changes to the show and ended up causing huge mix ups in terms of episode order and continuity. It's still a good show though, you'll learn to like it.
          Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
          Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
          Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
          --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
            JMS had a 5 year arc planned out and no more beyond that. I didn't care very much for S4 and 5, but S1-3...Wow. I watched when it aired and absolutely loved it. I stil think it's the best Sci-Fi show I've ever seen. G'Kar has to be one of the most interesting, complex, fascinating characters I've ever seen. What a journey he went through. Kosh, Garibaldi, Ivanova, Londo...they were alls so great. I can still see the battle scene from "Severed Dreams"; I remember it giving me goose bumps when I saw it the first time.

Just fantastic writing, great characters and some fine actors.
            So agree GKar was one of my favorites he was such a great character very layered they all were such great characters
            sigpic
            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I had to watch Sleeping in the light again, that is a sad episode that make your tear up.
              sigpic

Comment

i have had a great amount of b5 withdrawl recently......i just want to get a mod for a game like x3 so i can bomb around in a starfury or whitestar.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Take a look here: Babylon 5 game mods.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                    Take a look here: Babylon 5 game mods.
                    Oh yes. My most favorite is a Babylon 5: Conflicts of Loyalty's for the game Nexus: The Jupiter Incedent. In a Strategy Games genre.
                    A really beautiful game.
                    http://b5col.firstones.com/

We are born capable of greatness... If we are to be who we are, and what we are; if we are to accomplish great things, then we must learn the heart's most essential rule:

Comment

I suggest reading the the b5 books to help with with drawl even the ones that aren't 100% canon are still a good read well other than book 8 thats just bad but most of the others are enjoyable for what they are. most used books stores get them from time to time just have to keep out eyes open
                      "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Yeah definitely read the books, comics, short stories (if you can find them) etc...Check out my canon guide if you need help knowing which ones to read.
                        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

I know which are canon and which are not but personally I think some of the other are very enjoyable and do a very good of showing the b5 world even if they aren't fact for fact or don't make sense in the time line.

one other suggesting for your b5 withdraw is watch blake 7 and read Alfred Besters books give you a sense where jms got some of his ideas
                          "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Originally posted by EarthandBeyond View Post
                            Oh yes. My most favorite is a Babylon 5: Conflicts of Loyalty's for the game Nexus: The Jupiter Incedent. In a Strategy Games genre.
                            A really beautiful game.
                            http://b5col.firstones.com/

It looks very pretty but I'm not wanting a startergy game. I want a game where I can fly in all my favorite ships and actually get involved in the b5 universe. That's why X3 is great for it. You can buy whatever ships you want and go whereever you want freely and do practically anything you want.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Marshal View Post
                              I
                              one other suggesting for your b5 withdraw is watch blake 7 and read Alfred Besters books give you a sense where jms got some of his ideas
                              Or Lord of the Rings...
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                              X