Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGA - Scribe Awards - Stargate Atlantis: Casualties of War Wins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA - Scribe Awards - Stargate Atlantis: Casualties of War Wins!

Old news, but I just ran across the information.

From SF Scope:

http://sfscope.com/2007/07/scribe-aw...or-tieins.html

Scribe Awards for Tie-Ins

By Ian Randal Strock July 31, 2007

The International Association of Media Tie-In Writers used the occasion of the just-concluded San Diego ComicCon to annonce the winners of their annual Scribe Awards. They give awards in five categories, and, in addition to the winners, below are also listed the other nominees.

Best Speculative Fiction Novel—Adapted: Superman Returns by Marv Wolfman

The other nominees were:
    Slaine: The Exile by Steven Savile
    Toxic Avenger: The Novel by Lloyd Kaufman & Adam Jahnke
    Ultraviolet by Yvonne Navarro
    Underworld: Evolution by Greg Cox

Best Speculative Fiction Novel—Original: Thirteen Days of Night: Rumors of the Undead by Jeff Mariotte & Steve Niles

The other nominees were:
    Star Trek Crucible: McCoy—Provenance of Shadows by David R. George III
    Stargate Atlantis: Exogenesis by Sonny Whitelaw & Elizabeth Christensen
    Warhammer: Faith and Fire by James Swallow
    Warhammer: Orc Slayer by Nathan Long

Best General Fiction Novel—Adapted: Snakes on a Plane by Christa Faust

The other nominee was:
    The Pink Panther by Max Allan Collins

Best General Fiction Novel—Original: Las Vegas: High Stakes Game by Jeff Mariotte

The other nominees were:
    CSI New York: Blood on the Sun by Stuart Kaminsky
    Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii by Lee Goldberg
    Oakdale Confidential: Secrets Revealed by Alina Adams

Young Adult—All Genres: Best Novel: Buffy the Vampiure Slayer: Portal Through Time by Alice Henderson

The other nominees were:
    Alias APO: Strategic Reserve by Christina York
    Dragonlance: Warrior's Heart by Stephen Sullivan
    Knights of the Silver Dragon: Prophecy of the Dragons by Matt Forbeck

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

SGA - Novels - IAMTW Blog: '08 Scribe Award Nominees Announced:

From the IAMTW blog (I am a Tie-in Writer):

http://iamtw.blogspot.com/2008/04/sc...announced.html

(Please follow the link for the complete article. Last year, the Stargate Atlantis novel, Exogenesis by Sonny Whitelaw & Elizabeth Christensen was nominated.)

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=7038631&postcount=1

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Scribe Award Nominees Announced

The Second Annual Scribe Awards, presented by the International Association of Media Tie-in Writers, acknowledges and celebrates excellence in licensed tie-in writing -- novels based on TV shows, movies, and games. We are proud to announce this years nominees for the Scribe Award.

**snippage**

BEST SPECULATIVE ORIGINAL

LAST DAYS OF KRYPTON by Kevin J. Anderson
    STARGATE ATLANTIS CASUALTIES OF WAR by Elizabeth Christiansen
    STAR TREK: Q&A by Keith R.A. DeCandido

**snippage**

The Scribe Awards will be given at the Comic-Con Convention in San Diego in July. The Special Gaming Scribes will be awarded at Gen Con Indy in August.

**snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

From www.stargatenovels.com

Nomination nerves

There's nervous excitement and anticipation brewing here at Fandemonium following the news that we have had one of our books nominated for an award (first time ever! *Cue jitters*).

STARGATE ATLANTIS: Exogenesis has been nominated in the category of "Best speculative fiction novel - original" in the Scribe Awards, organised by the International Association of Media Tie-in Writers.

Being our first award nomination, we're rather pleased, excited, chuffed, over-joyed, nervous (did I say nervous already?)... You get the idea. The winners will be announced in late July at Comic-Con in San Diego, California.

Congratulations to Sonny Whitelaw and Elizabeth Christensen, co-authors of Exogenesis, for the nomination. They're up against some stiff competition so keep your fingers crossed.

Congratulations are also in order for another of our authors, James Swallow. James has been nominated (in the same category as Exogenesis, but never mind!) for his Warhammer novel, Faith and Fire. James is the author of STARGATE ATLANTIS: Halcyon and the forthcoming STARGATE SG-1: Relativity (publication date: October 2007). It's well worth a visit to his website to appreciate the vast range of novels and other projects that James has worked on.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

Yay to Beth and Sonny and of course James as well. Very proud moment!

Comment

I'm just starting to look into buying Stargate novels.

Two of the books I'm interested in is Exogenesis and Halcyon...

Is it a coincidence they're both not available any more?

Will they be printed again?

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
            I'm just starting to look into buying Stargate novels.

Two of the books I'm interested in is Exogenesis and Halcyon...

Is it a coincidence they're both not available any more?

Will they be printed again?
            You might want to emai stargatenovels directly and ask them.

[email protected]

Actually 3 were listed as Out of Stock on the order form (Chosen, Halcyon, Exogenesis).

Comment

I suppose they're all out of print now. Who knew my copy of Exogenesis would be worth $60 or more now?

Comment

That's not funny.

2 years isn't old yet...

For crying out loud, you can still fluently buy HP1, probably...

Comment

Oh, and I actually ordered The Chosen from them yesterday night, and the other two were 'Out of Stock'. The question is: will it be forever, or are they going to get new copies?

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
                    Oh, and I actually ordered The Chosen from them yesterday night, and the other two were 'Out of Stock'. The question is: will it be forever, or are they going to get new copies?

Yes, I have searched for these two for some time, too. And have asked myself the same question. It can't be a problem to make new copies. I'm sure they wouldn't be shelf warmers.

The prices from private sellers on Amazon are astronomical. And e-bay Germany hasn't offered them yet.

I made a email to stargatenovels (to a different address as in the post above) but didn't get an answer.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi, folks ...

Well, regardless of the year, the authors appreciate the good wishes. However, the headline isn't entirely wrong, since a Stargate novel is on the 2008 nominee list as well: Atlantis's Casualties of War (http://www.iamtw.org/awards.html) Also, if you checked the IAMTW site for last year's awards, you might have recognized the name of another 2007 nominee: Steven Savile, who has joined our little Stargate gang and will be penning an SG-1 trilogy.

As for the availability of earlier novels: the last time I communicated with the publishers at Fandy, I was told that they were gauging the demand level for a new printing of the books, and that the inquiries so far had been positive enough that they'd most likely be arranging for a reprint soon. That was a couple of months ago, though, so I'll check in with them and see if there's anything new to report. (After all, seeing Chosen and Exo reprinted is in my best interest, too ...)

Will let you know if/when I hear anything -- and in the meantime, thanks very much for supporting the novels!
                      Beth
                      http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
                      http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post
                        Hi, folks ...

Well, regardless of the year, the authors appreciate the good wishes. However, the headline isn't entirely wrong, since a Stargate novel is on the 2008 nominee list as well: Atlantis's Casualties of War (http://www.iamtw.org/awards.html) Also, if you checked the IAMTW site for last year's awards, you might have recognized the name of another 2007 nominee: Steven Savile, who has joined our little Stargate gang and will be penning an SG-1 trilogy.

As for the availability of earlier novels: the last time I communicated with the publishers at Fandy, I was told that they were gauging the demand level for a new printing of the books, and that the inquiries so far had been positive enough that they'd most likely be arranging for a reprint soon. That was a couple of months ago, though, so I'll check in with them and see if there's anything new to report. (After all, seeing Chosen and Exo reprinted is in my best interest, too ...)

Will let you know if/when I hear anything -- and in the meantime, thanks very much for supporting the novels!
                        Just pre-ordered the latest SGA novel. can't wait till AUgust

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post

Thank you for the information. I'm sure they would sell every extra copy.

I like every SGA book I've read. And waiting for my August pre-order, too.

I'm reading "Blood Ties" at the moment. It's my favourite one, yet!
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, on Sunday night Belgian time I ordered some books through 3 different sites, two being from the UK (SGnovels and Play), and one Belgian site, and guess what? The two packages from the UK are here first.

That said, it means I now have The Chosen and Blood Ties in my possession! Muahahahahaha!!!

Comment

This is one of those things that the general book buying public don't know, and I am not sure all the publishers grasp either - but the way distribution houses like Ingram and Baker and Taylor (who supply back orders for bookstores to keep stocks on shelves) work is that an order comes in from a store, hits the computer system and if it can't be fulfilled because the title is out of stock is held for 90 days... if for 90 consecutive days the title cannot be fulfilled it gets moved automatically to out of print. Now this is bad news for a publisher who is trying to guage demand - because from 90 days onwards a. all of those accumulated back orders are lost and b. any new enquiry is automatically discarded so it won't get registered, so it will appear that there is no interest in the title...

(oh and thanks for the nod on the scribes... pout damned superman returns... )

Now, the publishing models for tie-ins like this run on a very different economic set up to normal novels - hence once they are out of print they tend to stay out of print - indeed they are more like magazines in nature than novels in terms of a relatively fast burn - which means they come out and sell in large quantities in the first 4 weeks because they are anticipated by the fans who all tend to order early or visit the stores on the first week of release... but after week 10-12 the demand slows down dramatically making it a simple question of economics - we can reprint 2,000 copies of an old novel, or 35,000 copies of a new one.... we know we'll sell 20,000 copies of the new one inside 6 weeks, over the same period we may well sell 2,000 of the old one - but if it has been reprinted outside the 90 day window and we've forgotten to notify the suppliers and make sure the stores in turn know it is available again, we could be sat on the majority of those 2,000 and trying to sell direct from our website etc... so effort against return...

Can you tell I've worked on the other side of the fence ?

Comment

Working...
                              X