Ha'Tak vs Wratih Hive Ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha'Tak vs Wratih Hive Ship

Nope this isn't a vs thread (and yep thats coming from me)

My Question is wheter the ha'tak shield is more powerful then the armor on the hiveship

I have seen lots of debate where people aren't imprssed by hiveships becuase they lack shields and that the ha'tak is harder to kill but I've heard that the hiveship armor is better then hat'tak shields

So which is it Armor or Shields?

My personal thought on the matter is that Wraith Hive ships aromr are better then the ha'tak shields
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

I'd say the Hiveships' armour beacause... well i dont know really, just a feeling.

The drones from the Orion took longer to destroy a Hiveship than the drones from Earth took to destroy a Ha'tak - and the drones can puncture a Ha'tak's shields easily, and take time to get through the armour of a Hiveship.
    Last edited by Captain Chaap; 25 August 2007, 01:35 AM.

Comment

i would say wraith armor is stronger
      2 drones from a puddle jumper complete destroyed a ha'tak Where as a wraith cruiser survived a point blank range shot from a jumper

Comment

Originally posted by Xeon_1 View Post
        ...2 drones from a puddle jumper complete destroyed a ha'tak Where as a wraith cruiser survived a point blank range shot from a jumper
        ^ That's a good point actually, if two drones can destroy an entire ha'tak, why didn't they destroy anubis' fleet using maybe 50 drones, and give the rest to Atlantis? That's a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
          Nope this isn't a vs thread (and yep thats coming from me)

My Question is wheter the ha'tak shield is more powerful then the armor on the hiveship

I have seen lots of debate where people aren't imprssed by hiveships becuase they lack shields and that the ha'tak is harder to kill but I've heard that the hiveship armor is better then hat'tak shields

So which is it Armor or Shields?

My personal thought on the matter is that Wraith Hive ships aromr are better then the ha'tak shields
          Hataks aren't really that strong. Look at how much damage the Daedalus took from a Hive. Multiply that by at least 2... or 3

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Actually, the Hatak shields are probably equal to the hive armor. My reasoning- the 304 railguns are just as effective. Now the only reason it took longer to destroy the Hive is because it is at least 4 times bigger than the Hatak. An the drones passed right through the Hatak shields. It's the same reason why it took anubis' ship longer to destroy. Bigger size and hull integrity. Shields are obsolete when faced with drone technology.
            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Depend on what you mean by stronger.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I'd say the shields are stronger, but not by much.

As we know from "It's Good to Be King", the drones in that instance most likely hit a critical system, which was why only two could destroy the entire ha'tak.

As someone else said, railguns have proven to be very effective against hive ships, if the fire is concentrated. Thus far, railguns have proven rather ineffective against ha'tak shielding, and the Odyssey usually ends up having to retreat against them.

Now, some might say that ha'tak shielding is weak, as "The Ori main weapon sliced through it in once shot, and the Korolev took two!". My response is: so what? For all we know, the first shot dropped the 304's shields down to 1%, and the second shot finished it off; we really don't know. And secondly, the Ori main weapon is probably the strongest energy weapon in Stargate (the LaGrande Satellite may be as strong shot-for-shot, we have yet to see). Is it really that surprising the ha'tak shields buckled under that?

So, I vote that the shields are stronger, albeit only a small bit.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Not sure what is stronger...Hives are harder to destroy because of their size + armor so overall it can absorb more damage.

I'd say shields are better because the ship doesn't get damaged after the initial hit but I don't think it can absorb more energy then the armor can. Needless to say the Hives sheers size it being probably being 70x larger than a Ha'tak added to it's armor make it much harder to destroy IMO.

The rail guns hit an open area causing secondary explosions, rail gun fire has never damaged the armor of a hull.
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

The advantage of shields is that they presumably can repair themselves faster, even slowy recharging during combat when they're not being directly fired on in theory. They also block objects from hitting the hull so you shouldn't, again in theory, have to worry about loosing system like engines, or weapons until the shields fail first. We now this last one to be pretty much false on stargate though given that we've seen systems go down and the ship itself suffer damage when shields were still up.

Now given those advantages of shields that's not to say that a shield will never be outdone be a suffciently thick or sophisticated facing of armour.

The advantage of armour is that it doesn't just suddenly "go down" in battle after taking X amount of damage and leave you standing there with your dick in your hand while the next shot blows you into a million pieces. To destroy a heavily armoured ship you would have to hit the same spot repeatedly to wear through the armour, (or once with something really nasty but the same goes for shields of course) where as with shields anyhwere seems to cut it to drain the overal shield strength. Even glancing hits and the like that would probably just have skipped off or caused superficial surface damage to an armoured hull seem to be absorbed fully by shields, weakening them.

Shields also increase a ship's overall target profile by surrounding it in a massive bubble while as hull armour obviously does not.

I'm glad you brought this to attention actually because there is a tendancy around here to automatically assume shields=better regardless of actually comparing performance.

Comment

Could you "grow" bio-armour on a ship and still have energy shields? Or would the bio-armour be affected by shields.

As to the thread question I would say bio-armour because it is adaptive.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't think it's a question of shields so much as size. If you had a cinderblock wall one layer thick, and had another one 5 layers thick, it'd take longer to destroy the 5 layer one due to sheer size so to speak. Hive ship is positively massive, I'd think more than 4 times Ha'tak. I think at one point they were stated to be 11km long, but I don't remember where exactly.
                        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                        Zatnikitelman

Comment

A better comparison would be a Cruiser to a Hatak. In that case i would probably go with the Hatak. If a Hive fired a shot at either ship a Hatak's shields can prevent the hull from getting hit but would loose a lot of shielding, but the cruiser would probably suffer heavy damage, not to mention a large gash in the ship. But i believe it could survive, the hatak when its shields are depleted would probably be destroyed in the next shot. Over all they would probably take the same amount of shots fired before either one is destroyed.
                          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Well whats more impressive taking a hive out in one shot or a Ha'Tak in one shot?
                            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                            A Face you Can Trust
                            sigpic
                            So whats the worst that could happen?
                            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                              Well whats more impressive taking a hive out in one shot or a Ha'Tak in one shot?
                              Doesn't matter if the weapons used to do it could take them both out in one shot... (LaGrange Satellite and Ori main weapon seem to be about equal in overall power. So what's your point? The (about) same amount of power can destroy each one in a single shot.)
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                              X