John/Chiana Discussion & Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John/Chiana Discussion & Appreciation Thread

Let me start off by saying that I am not proposing a John/Chiana ship over a John/Aeryn one, but I think that John/Chiana is one of the most interesting and touching relationships on the show, and deserves its own thread.

This is a place for shippers, friendshippers, or just general Farscape fans to discuss, share pictures, art, videos, etc.

Hopefully I'm not the only one who enjoys watching these two interact, in any capacity!

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Some of my favorite pictures...

Spoiler:

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Stef View Post
      Let me start off by saying that I am not proposing a John/Chiana ship over a John/Aeryn one, but I think that John/Chiana is one of the most interesting and touching relationships on the show, and deserves its own thread.

This is a place for shippers, friendshippers, or just general Farscape fans to discuss, share pictures, art, videos, etc.

Hopefully I'm not the only one who enjoys watching these two interact, in any capacity!

-Stef
      I soooo agree. The John/Chiana relationship is my favorite one on the show. Like you said, not a romantic one to replace John/Aeryn, but the lovely big brother/flirty/friendly/whatever relationship that they have.

I love how when Chiana first sees John, she knows that he is the type of guy that will help her. I love how their relationship grows and John proves [in Family Ties] that he is the one man [besides her brother] that won't make her pay for his friendship and protection with her body.

I absolutely adore, in A Clockwork Nebari, the beginning where she knows John is pissed at her, but she teasingly tries to trip him as he walks, like she is saying, "Yeah, I know you're pissed, but you still love me, right?" --and she is confident in that love.

John is the guy Chiana can count on, and she needs that so desparately.

For John, I think he knows that no matter how Chiana may act, even when she is fussing with him, she respects him and needs him and that is something that he needs.

Thanks for starting this thread, Stef. I adore John and Chiana.

Comment

I too love this relationship. it remind me of my best male friend and I. We know we can get away with anything with eachother because the love is just to strong there.

I love the ways in which they play with eachother!
        Sun'Shyne

Made by Me!

Comment

I love this relationship. It has elements of all sorts of different relationships, but I always felt it was most prominently a big brother/little sister relationship. They're teasing attitude and ability to confide in each other was always played out well. I also liked how John could get kind of protective of Chiana and would try to give her advice despite her own resistance.

Comment

Cool, I'll do that when I get back later

One of things that I love about John/Chiana is that you can't define their relationship. It's kind of a big brother/little sister vibe...but then they'll have these moments that show you show a side of their relationship that is anything but brother/sister! You know what I'm talking about Chiana has tried to get with John for a long time, and despite the fact that he always rejects her, sometimes I get the feeling he wants to....

And does anyone find it kind of funny that...
            Spoiler:
            ...Chiana takes John's virginity?

I could never see J/C as a full-fledged couple, but I can't help but love it when they're on screen together. That final scene in "My Three Crichtons" is one of my favorites of the series:

CHIANA: I heard about what you did. You really offered to take the dive?
            CRICHTON: It took me a while... and I needed some help.
            CHIANA: Well... for what it's worth... I'm glad it worked out the way it did.
            CRICHTON: I wish I could be.... I always thought I was a good guy, Chiana. But it was the least developed one of me... the one I thought least likely, who did the right thing. ... And somehow you knew.
            CHIANA: ( softly ) I know you.

I also love them in "Taking the Stone." I'm not a fan of the episode, but the way they interact makes it infinitely more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise. John's so protective

Okay, I'm blathering...

-Stef

Comment

And does anyone find it kind of funny that...
              Spoiler:
              ...Chiana takes John's virginity?
              I like what someone on another forum said [greatly paraphrased]
              Spoiler:
              This happened in season 4. Between seasons 3 and 4 something horrible happened to Chiana. It is suggested that rape was involved. Sex is a natural part of Chiana's life, but it's usually sex that she wants or uses to gain control of a situation. What happened to her is the reverse of that and Chiana was scarred by it. Then Chiana goes to the one person that she can still trust with her heart and her body. John. She can't have the "him" that she loves, but she can have the younger John, that is both the John that she loves and a different John. She knows she can trust him, because he is the John that she loves, and she knows that by using his "alternate", she can regain that part of herself that needs him to help her regain her "center" without spoiling what they have become to each other in the "reality".

Hope that made sense. It's hard to find the words to differentiate how they are the same John and yet different for Chiana.

I could never see J/C as a full-fledged couple, but I can't help but love it when they're on screen together.
              Oh, yeah. I don't think they'd even make it as a couple because their ideas of a relationship are different. John's and D'Argo's ideas of a relationship are much the same and look what Chiana did there when she got scared.

I also love them in "Taking the Stone." I'm not a fan of the episode, but the way they interact makes it infinitely more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise. John's so protective
              I know it's not a popular opinion, but I liked Taking the Stone - and mostly because of the John/Chiana interaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddess View Post
                I love this relationship. It has elements of all sorts of different relationships, but I always felt it was most prominently a big brother/little sister relationship. They're teasing attitude and ability to confide in each other was always played out well. I also liked how John could get kind of protective of Chiana and would try to give her advice despite her own resistance.
                I agree that the big brother/little sister is the predominant aspect of their relationship, but there are other facets that make it quite intriguing. I'm looking forward to some interesting conversations on this thread about all of that!

[that's the closest I can come to a Chiana smilie. LOL. Just pretend like the hair and skin is white!]

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost View Post
                  I agree that the big brother/little sister is the predominant aspect of their relationship, but there are other facets that make it quite intriguing.
                  Everyone keeps saying brother/sister, but even besides the occasional sexual innuendo and flirting, I always see them more as cousins. Close cousins, but still.

He's protective of her in a way that feels familial, but not brotherly. He's much more accepting of who she is and her sexual forwardness and high activity (-: than I think a brother would be and she's more open about those aspects with him than a typical sister. The way she rebels against him sometimes is kind of brother/sister like, but overall it's just not the vibe I get.

And yes I do have 2 brothers and female cousins so I'm going by personal experience (no kissing cousins or anything, but that relationship just seems to resemble John & Chiana's more).

Comment

I like what someone on another forum said [greatly paraphrased]
                    Spoiler:
                    This happened in season 4. Between seasons 3 and 4 something horrible happened to Chiana. It is suggested that rape was involved. Sex is a natural part of Chiana's life, but it's usually sex that she wants or uses to gain control of a situation. What happened to her is the reverse of that and Chiana was scarred by it. Then Chiana goes to the one person that she can still trust with her heart and her body. John. She can't have the "him" that she loves, but she can have the younger John, that is both the John that she loves and a different John. She knows she can trust him, because he is the John that she loves, and she knows that by using his "alternate", she can regain that part of herself that needs him to help her regain her "center" without spoiling what they have become to each other in the "reality".

Hope that made sense. It's hard to find the words to differentiate how they are the same John and yet different for Chiana.

Oh, yeah. I don't think they'd even make it as a couple because their ideas of a relationship are different. John's and D'Argo's ideas of a relationship are much the same and look what Chiana did there when she got scared.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I liked Taking the Stone - and mostly because of the John/Chiana interaction.
                    Wow, that's a VERY interesting take!! I can completely see that as being true. Out of all the people aboard Moya, I think the only person who's been there consistently for her is John. There's an intimate trust there, a trust I don't see echoed as strongly in anyone else.

They're also very protective of each other, something I noticed recently when I was watching "A Constellation of Doubt" where Sikozu wants to tell John the search is over but Chiana stands up to her and shoots her down, then goes and tries to reassure John. It's nice to see Chiana protective of John!

As for Taking the Stone, yeah, that episode has grown on me considerably. A good part of that is the John/Chiana interactions. I love how protective he is of her and that final scene with them burying the chip thing was cute.

Originally posted by joshing123 View Post
                    Everyone keeps saying brother/sister, but even besides the occasional sexual innuendo and flirting, I always see them more as cousins. Close cousins, but still.

He's protective of her in a way that feels familial, but not brotherly. He's much more accepting of who she is and her sexual forwardness and high activity (-: than I think a brother would be and she's more open about those aspects with him than a typical sister. The way she rebels against him sometimes is kind of brother/sister like, but overall it's just not the vibe I get.

And yes I do have 2 brothers and female cousins so I'm going by personal experience (no kissing cousins or anything, but that relationship just seems to resemble John & Chiana's more).
                    True, I think it's just when we see slightly more familial relationships between a man and a woman, we tend to just use "brother/sister" as a kind of generic comparison. But yeah, I see your point...I think it is kind of a cousins thing. Still, John was pretty protective in "Taking the Stone." To the point that he was going to drag her out of there.

-Stef

Comment

Yes, I like how John and Chiana's relationship grows in Season 2. Taking the Stone, A Clockwork Nebari. Especially in the end of ACN when John is there for her, tells her that
                      Spoiler:
                      "People like us do not always get what we want" and he's there to hold and comfort her as she knows she'll probably never get to see her brother again. Stef's first picture ...

I see the brother/sister, but also see the flirtatious friends as well.

The John/Chiana relationship rivals John/Aeryn's ship for me, mainly because they're different and we get to see different sides of John, and BB plays that off sooooo well!!

Did I mention I've seen ACN about four times now?
                      Last edited by MFA; 23 August 2007, 10:59 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I agree. I feel guilty sometimes for enjoying John/Chiana as much as I do. When she tries to have sex with him (on numerous ocassions) I kind of secretly hope that she'll succeed. I love J/A, but part of me has a soft spot for J/C. The writers did a great job of writing a secondary ship that you don't necassarily want to see together but still kind of root for. Does that make any sense?

-Stef

Comment

Originally posted by joshing123 View Post

I generally say brother/sister because it's easier, but if I wanted to type a lot... I actually see it as a guy and his best friend's little sister. You know, she's not your sister, so you can be attracted to her, but she is your best friend's little sister, so there is some taboo there. Also, he's been your best friend for a while, so you've known his little sister since she was a scabby-kneed tomboy that wanted to tag along and screw up your day, so now it's hard to get your head around the whole, "she's grown up and lookin' good" part of it all. I know John hasn't known Chiana since she was a kid, but the age difference and just the way they so quickly bonded, almost does reflect that attitude. And Chiana is like that little sister of your best friend that has a crush on you. It's all so sweet.
                          Last edited by ChillinTheMost; 24 August 2007, 04:17 AM. Reason: added last 2 sentences.

Comment

I agree. I feel guilty sometimes for enjoying John/Chiana as much as I do. When she tries to have sex with him (on numerous ocassions) I kind of secretly hope that she'll succeed. I love J/A, but part of me has a soft spot for J/C. The writers did a great job of writing a secondary ship that you don't necassarily want to see together but still kind of root for. Does that make any sense?

-Stef
                            YES!! That makes total sense!! I totally ship J/A, nothing could turn me from that, but I always look forward to when J/C are on screen together too!

I generally say brother/sister because it's easier, but if I wanted to type a lot... I actually see it as a guy and his best friend's little sister. You know, she's not your sister, so you can be attracted to her, but she is your best friend's little sister, so there is some taboo there. Also, he's been your best friend for a while, so you've known his little sister since she was a scabby-kneed tomboy that wanted to tag along and screw up your day, so now it's hard to get your head around the whole, "she's grown up and lookin' good" part of it all. I know John hasn't known Chiana since she was a kid, but the age difference and just the way they so quickly bonded, almost does reflect that attitude.
                            Haha, nicely put! I like that idea, that it's a "best friend's little sister" type of relationship!
                            Sun'Shyne

Made by Me!

Comment

-Stef
                              Perfect sense. At least to me, because I feel exactly the same way. About it all. About secretly wishing Chiana would succeed, about loving J/A, about having a soft spot for J/C, and about what the writers created.

Comment

Working...
                              X