Chiana discussion and appreaciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chiana discussion and appreaciation

Chiana is one of my favorites from Farscape. You may post pics of her if you like. She's a scrappy character that's why I like her.
    sigpic
    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

I always liked Chiana, for the most part (aside from what she did to D'Argo in Season 3). She wasn't my favorite Farscape character, but she is one that I grew to like more and more as the show went on.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I haven't seen that yet but I have read about it I never really liked her with D'Argo any way he always seemed too dominarering for her she needed a free spirit like her.
      sigpic
      My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
      poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Chiana had to grow on me as well. At first, she seemed more of a spoiled brat or a whiney kid who wasn't happy unless she was getting her way. but she became more than that developed some character near the end of S1.

In S2 she became everybody's little sister, though D'Argo told her in one early S2 episode that he was not interested in being her "big brother" when he (and John) were trying to get her to see reason. I always liked her relationship with D'Argo and how it progressed in S2 and also her relationship with John as well.

Chiana is useful, always getting into trouble, but creative in getting out of trouble! "Ms. Kitty" could cry, kiss, or kick her way out of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by MFA View Post
          Chiana is useful, always getting into trouble, but creative in getting out of trouble! "Ms. Kitty" could cry, kiss, or kick her way out of anything.
          And she was very proficient at all three tactics.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Personally, I always enjoyed that little triangle with Chi, Jothee and D'Argo. A not so subtle reminder that we are dealing with characters that are far from perfect, it sure raised the intensity level of those eps! Chi's explanation to Rygel when he happens upon her and Jothee and the big mess in the galley, "A pot exploded", always cracks me up.

Bill K

Comment

Yay for Chiana! I must admit though to also having to let Chiana grow on me. I wasn't sure about her when she made her first entrance but the character proved to be one of the best!

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
              I always liked Chiana, for the most part (aside from what she did to D'Argo in Season 3). She wasn't my favorite Farscape character, but she is one that I grew to like more and more as the show went on.
              It's funny, that bit with Jothee just made me like the character that much more. I hated what it was going to do to D'Argo, but, from a purely character standpoint I think it really showed Chiana's vulnerability. To me, it showed that no matter how much Chiana had grown during her time on Moya and in her relationship with D'Argo there was still a lot of growing for her to do.

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
              "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

It's refreshing when a TV show has characters who are not always perfect, who do not always (and rarely do) make the right decisions, that actually has real consequences to their actions, and where things do not always (again, rarely do) work out just hunky-dory by the end of the 1 hr program. And it doesn't come across as soap opery at the same time.

Of all the Farscape characters, I believe Chiana had the most flaws and made the worst mistakes and hence had the most to overcome (aside from Aeryn). I think that's what makes her character so special.

I heard it somewhere (maybe here?) - that the writers never intended for Chiana to stay around, they intended to eventually write her off, but her character grew and they decided to have her stick around. Sure glad they did!

Comment

I think that's why I like her I like my characters flawed.
                  sigpic

Comment

^Ditto.

It gives them dimension, and Chiana definitely had that. Her character was intense. In a lot of ways she was solid, that is that her loyalties were to the crew of Moya (after self-preservation of course). At the same time though, she's this wildcard ... You never quite now how Chiana is going to take something, how she's going to react, that kind of thing.

"Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

I just watched Suns and Lovers, and you know,
                      Spoiler:
                      I hated what Chiana did to D'Argo, I hated the way she used Jothee, but I also couldn't help but feel sorry for Chiana. Here she has spent most of her life running, fending for herself, and hiding from her own people. She was separated from her brother, later thought he was dead just to find out later he was alive and then that she still couldn't see him. She has never had anybody care for her the way D'Argo has. Yes, she's been on Moya long enough to become part of the crew, she knew what she was doing would hurt D'Argo, but she still got scared and fell back on her old impulses and tricks. As she said to Jothee, she knew D'Argo would never accept "no", so she did the only other thing she could to make him change his mind.

I know a lot of folks despised Chiana for what she did, but still, I couldn't help but feel sorry for her.

Comment

Great explanation MFA! I definitely agree. What she did with the Jothee/D'Argo situation, I think, was such a natural thing for her to do. Not that she wanted to hurt D'Argo (I don't think she did at all) but with her history and the let-downs she'd faced I think running away in the complete opposite direction, and doing something she knew would mess things up was a natural self-preservation response.

Though, I can see how it would make some people dislike her. It's more, for me at least, the action that I didn't like, not the character. For the character it made me feel for her more and see her transformation in the end as much greater.

Comment

Thanks

And in Self-Inflicted Wounds, her pain and remorse for what she did to D'Argo is clearly visible. I wonder if she just didn't realize he'd react that strongly, or if she just didn't think that far ahead. Either way, it's clear she's sorry for her actions.

Comment

Working...
                          X