This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Atlantis

First off let me just qualify and say that this is not an Atlantis bashing thread. I like Atlantis alot and I think the show has a lot of potential. That being said I think there are a few problems with the show that should be addressed.

First off I think that they have had a way to easy of a time accessing and using the technology they have found in atlantis. The whole "any body can use the technology once it is activated" is a cop out. They should have built up slowly what they can use and should have had them struggle with the city.

Second, the gene therapy thing. I think that this is another cop out that wasted a lot of potential character development. Given McKays personality and frustration at not having the gene they could have really developed his character by having him, and others, have to struggle to do anything in the city.

The city itself is another problem, I know they havnt been their long but they havnt really explored the city hardl;y at all. They are devoting lots of energy to search for ZPM's on other planets. It seems to me that since the ZPM's are the only power source powerful enough to power the shield and save the city, then the ancients would have a few extras around. given the size of them they could have a couple hundred in a closet somewhere in Atlantis. They should be devoting more efforts to exploring the city.

I have some more but Id love to hear what everyone else thinks, but remember this is a constructive thread on how the show could be improved and problems that should be addressed and not a "Atlantis sucks" thread. remember people SG-1 has changed alot from the first episodes and needed to, and so will Atlantis

1. i agree, a cop out, but they said only some tech needs to be actived by the gene, some needs the gene to use it and other stuff just works anyway. but could have made some great eps.

2. it should have come much later, or maybe we will get lucky and it will ware off, they said it might happen. wear off at the worst possible time

3.they said if there were any zpm's in the city thay could use the city's sensors to find them, and maybe they can't really try out all the cool tech untill the get the zpm's. but i would love to see more of the city.

only 10 eps all i can say is they have a few eps left in the first season and i dont doubt this great show will have season2 and 3 to explore the many stories that the SG:A universe has to offer

Comment

Originally posted by AsgardCarnage
      3.they said if there were any zpm's in the city thay could use the city's sensors to find them, and maybe they can't really try out all the cool tech untill the get the zpm's. but i would love to see more of the city.
      but see that doesnt make any sense. from their view point i think that they are just using that as a plot device in order to get them out checking out other planets but froma realistic viewpoint (realistic relative to the stargate universe and not ours obviously) it doesnt make a lot of sense for the ancients not to have extra ZPM's stored in the city somewhere. given that they were at war with an enemy as powerful as the wraith and the energy shield is the primary means of protecting the city why take the chance that one of them were to die? i know they last for thousands of years but they dont last so long when the shield is on, plus what if one of them malfunctions? the atlantis team accepted that there are no ZPM's anywhere in atlantis too easily, even with the sensors how do they know they are reading them right? that they are calibrated? that the sensors are even programed to detect ZPM's? if i was weir i would have teams scouring every room and nook and crany for ZPM's.

another thing that bothers me is how everyone automatically knows how to use all the ancients computers and sensors and everything. im sure they all learned how to read ancient from working in antartica but that doesnt translate to being automatically being able to operate and use the most advanced ancient computer system ever designed. as daniel put it once "just because you can recognize the symbols on the keyboard, doesnt mean you can run the computer"

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
        The city itself is another problem, I know they havnt been their long but they havnt really explored the city hardl;y at all. They are devoting lots of energy to search for ZPM's on other planets. It seems to me that since the ZPM's are the only power source powerful enough to power the shield and save the city, then the ancients would have a few extras around. given the size of them they could have a couple hundred in a closet somewhere in Atlantis.
        Why the things last a very long time, thousands and thousands of years. why keep extras on board, Car batterys dont last forever, do you keep a trunk full of batteries.

And you never know there might be a ZPM charger right in front of there face, but since they don't know how to use all technolgy they dont even know its there, were just not sure yet. I'd say give it a season or two to answer some more questions.

Comment

I make criticisms becaused I loved the original idea of Atlantis too.

Things are going way too easy on Atlantis. No mystery any more. You wanna know something? Just use the DATABASE now. That's quite a cop out, isn't it. And Atlantis is way too normal. Computers fit with Windows OS.

I would have liked semi-poetic scenes, like:

- how it feels to go to sleep in a totally unknown silent warehouse and make your bed in un unexpected place.

- how it feels to talk on a balcony and gaze at an entirely new set of stars, with the noise of the waves

- one or two cute animals from this planet, etc.

I think that the team is doing great, really, but they lack money and time. It was too big a subject for a low-budget series. Ancients + Atlantis + Gate + Wraiths + Discovery + sceneries required the budget of a major sci-fi movie.

Now they end-up renting costumes of British-Canadian history movies in order to show aliens on the Pegasus galaxy. Just give them plenty of money and time, and they'll do even better than SG1.
          No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
          I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
          Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
            I make criticisms becaused I loved the original idea of Atlantis too.

Things are going way too easy on Atlantis. No mystery any more. You wanna know something? Just use the DATABASE now. That's quite a cop out, isn't it. And Atlantis is way too normal. Computers fit with Windows OS.

I would have liked semi-poetic scenes, like:

- how it feels to go to sleep in a totally unknown silent warehouse and make your bed in un unexpected place.

- how it feels to talk on a balcony and gaze at an entirely new set of stars, with the noise of the waves

- one or two cute animals from this planet, etc.

I think that the team is doing great, really, but they lack money and time. It was too big a subject for a low-budget series. Ancients + Atlantis + Gate + Wraiths + Discovery + sceneries required the budget of a major sci-fi movie.

Now they end-up renting costumes of British-Canadian history movies in order to show aliens on the Pegasus galaxy. Just give them plenty of money and time, and they'll do even better than SG1.
            I tottally agree that given time they will improve just like SG-1 did. the money thing raises another thing I noticed. the sets, while fantastic, still have this kind of cheesy scifi feel to them. for one they look too new for a city that has sat empty for ten thousand years, i dont care how good the ancients were after ten thousand years there has to be some kind of break downs and deterioration. second things like the dialer for the stargate and unfortunately the gate itself have a very cheap look to them. originally i thought that a gate that lit up and all was gonna be really cool but now i cringe every time theydial because its no longer a really cool and exciting event like it is in SG-1 and the noise that the gate makes while dialing makes me want to put ear plugs in, it is so annoying!

Comment

Thats the thing though. With the shield holding back everything, nothing was being run and Bill gates wasnt the designer of the Ancient computer software, nor was Steve Jobs. Without any kind of disturbance from the outside world, Atlantis could run for another couple centuries or more before the ZPM would be depleted completely. And to me, the reason for the set looking so new is because Atlantis was the Ancients Pride and Joy. It was their best technological achievement to date before they met the Wraith. And my theory on the ZPMs is that a lot of their powerful weapons were probably powered by the ZPMs and they most likely spent a lot of the War away from Atlantis, which would explain why the city was deserted (completely except for the creature in Hide & Seek). For me, I am waiting to see what happens once they find enough ZPMs to explore the rest of the city and find something (or someone). ANd also want to know what happens when the Wraith come back to Atlantis.
              Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

Originally posted by Andy867
                Thats the thing though. With the shield holding back everything, nothing was being run and Bill gates wasnt the designer of the Ancient computer software, nor was Steve Jobs. Without any kind of disturbance from the outside world, Atlantis could run for another couple centuries or more before the ZPM would be depleted completely. And to me, the reason for the set looking so new is because Atlantis was the Ancients Pride and Joy. It was their best technological achievement to date before they met the Wraith. And my theory on the ZPMs is that a lot of their powerful weapons were probably powered by the ZPMs and they most likely spent a lot of the War away from Atlantis, which would explain why the city was deserted (completely except for the creature in Hide & Seek). For me, I am waiting to see what happens once they find enough ZPMs to explore the rest of the city and find something (or someone). ANd also want to know what happens when the Wraith come back to Atlantis.
                even with it being the pride and joy of the ancients empire the city is still extremely old, it left earth about a million years ago but who knows how long before that it was built. it has also spent the last 10000 years deserted. now admitidly being behind the shield and underwater would have helped preserve it a good deal there would still be some deterioration and break down. but everything is fine! the air should not have been breathable! air goes bad after being stored for so long and the air in atlantis could only have been recycled so many times under the water. they really need to start showing parts of the city breaking down or deteriorated if they want to keep it realistic. (yeah i know its a show about aliens and other galaxies, i mean realistic relative to the show)

Comment

But what is there to make the air go bad? and with life support, it is meant to filter out stuff, even though nothing was really disturbing the air in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy867
                    But what is there to make the air go bad? and with life support, it is meant to filter out stuff, even though nothing was really disturbing the air in the first place.
                    im not a scientist or anything so i dont know the exact proccess of how it works. I do know that stored air does go bad after a time and can actually poison a person. a while back somebody around here found an old scuba tank in their fathers attic when he died. the tank was probablky about fifty years and when (although nobody knows why he did) the man tried the tank the bad air poisoned him. now on a scale of the size of atlantis it would take longer, plus air recycling but after ten thousand years i would think that the same thing would happen. again im not a scientist or anything so i could be way wrong.

Comment

Submarines can go a long time on filtered air (I forget how long)
                      so why shound'nt the ancients be able to do it on a much longer scale.
                      Since the air is filtered good their is no dust so it looks new. Plus their
                      metal is probably rust proof.

Comment

Originally posted by buckner
                        Submarines can go a long time on filtered air (I forget how long)
                        so why shound'nt the ancients be able to do it on a much longer scale.
                        Since the air is filtered good their is no dust so it looks new. Plus their
                        metal is probably rust proof.
                        ok so the air thing may be alright but still there has to be some kind of deterioration of the city, the city is in absolutely pristine condition for being a million years old, ten thousand of which it was un inhabited. there isnt even so much as a coffe ring stain on one of the consoles, nothing! they left the city in a hurry but they had time to scrub everything down, sand out any scratches and make it look like the city had never been used once before the team arrived?

Comment

But these are the ancients who built the Stargates which have lasted millions of years through thick and thin. Plus in order for there to be detioration, there has to be changes in the air and foreign chemicals to produce the chain reaction, but since the air was constantly monitored and the city in itself was isolated from EVERYTHING with the shield up, there was no way for foreign chemicals to get into Atlantis that would cause it to break down.

Comment

There is only one thing that truly ennoys me about Atlantis is that they dont seem to have done the level of technology that the ancients had whch they have spent close to 7 years in Sg1 building up justice. They dont seem millions of years ahead of earth or thousands ahead of the Asgard or the Nox. I mean if it they were millions of years ahead i always imagined their tech would be like unfathonable pardon the spelling. what ive seen in Atlantis its not seem to be like that.
                            Any ideas.

Comment

Well, the whole premise of the show deals with the fact that due to VERY VERY limited power, they are unable to go home, or explore the rest of the city as they originally intended to. So there is still over half the city that they need to explore more, in which case they will come in contact with some pretty advanced stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X