This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stardust

Saw this movie (based upon the book by Neil Gaiman) the other day, and it was absolutely wonderful- I don't think I'll ever be able to watch Robert De Niro in anything else without thinking back to Stardust. Overall, one of those movies that's going to be one to watch many times over.

So, has anyone else seen it, and what did you think?

Loved it! Sweet and whimsical. Not quite like the book, but I don't have any major quibbles with the changes and I'm very happy that it wasn't as horrible as some book adaptations have been.

I wish it'd done better opening weekend, though (bit unlikely given the competition) because what I'd REALLY like to see next is an adaptation of Good Omens, which Gaiman co-wrote.

Might have to reread Stardust again.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      Loved it! Sweet and whimsical. Not quite like the book, but I don't have any major quibbles with the changes and I'm very happy that it wasn't as horrible as some book adaptations have been.

I wish it'd done better opening weekend, though (bit unlikely given the competition) because what I'd REALLY like to see next is an adaptation of Good Omens, which Gaiman co-wrote.

Might have to reread Stardust again.
      I quite liked the changes they made from the book- they were some good choices, I was really impressed by the adaption (I've read the book many times and know it very well), it's certainly one of the better ones out there.

I'd have liked to see it do better numbers as well- so much of Gaiman's work is well-suited to big screen adaption (I'd love to see an "Anansi Boys" film). On the bright side we've got the Beowolf adaption he's written coming this winter, and Coraline next year and hopefully they'll be good and do well.

And it sounds like he's planning on directing "Death: The High Cost of Living" himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
        Saw this movie (based upon the book by Neil Gaiman) the other day, and it was absolutely wonderful- I don't think I'll ever be able to watch Robert De Niro in anything else without thinking back to Stardust. Overall, one of those movies that's going to be one to watch many times over.

So, has anyone else seen it, and what did you think?
        Thanx for the head's up Lady Trek. I was kind of on the fence as whether to see it or not, but it looks like a great date movie.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

BTW, the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab has a selection of Stardust-inspired scents. I wasn't too keen on Yvaine, unfortunately, but I might try Fairy Market.

There's a separate Gaiman section containing scents for American Gods and Anansi boys AND a Good Omens section. A portion of the proceeds goes to various charitable organizations.

*huggles the lab* They're so cool!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
            BTW, the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab has a selection of Stardust-inspired scents. I wasn't too keen on Yvaine, unfortunately, but I might try Fairy Market.

There's a separate Gaiman section containing scents for American Gods and Anansi boys AND a Good Omens section. A portion of the proceeds goes to various charitable organizations.

*huggles the lab* They're so cool!
            Ahh, yes, those are tempting- so are some of the Alice in Wonderland ones. The description of Fairy Market sounds very nice.

Comment

Man I'm dying to see this movie, but contemplating whether I should read the book first.
              sigpic

Comment

I'd say see the movie and THEN read the book- you might get more out of both that way.

Comment

i LOVED it.

great fun, a dramedy with shades of Ever After, Willow, a bit of Star Wars (in the irreverant adventure humor aspect).

It was just fun. a good story, good effects (i only saw one oops), decent story. no real gore (one little bit). a good message and a nice sense of humor

and yes, DeNiro...sigh...teh role of a lifetime and, honestly, his part is worth the price of admission all on its own (please, don't spoil it for those that haven't seen it. the joke is better if you don't know it's coming)

It is on my 'i'm gonna buy it' list

Oh, and i never read the novel, so i walked into it with a totally open mind so no need to read before

It's a good date movie, one to show the older young'ens you may be babysitting (10+ or so) or one for an adult to kill a couple of hours with
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    i LOVED it.

great fun, a dramedy with shades of Ever After, Willow, a bit of Star Wars (in the irreverant adventure humor aspect).

It was just fun. a good story, good effects (i only saw one oops), decent story. no real gore (one little bit). a good message and a nice sense of humor

and yes, DeNiro...sigh...teh role of a lifetime and, honestly, his part is worth the price of admission all on its own (please, don't spoil it for those that haven't seen it. the joke is better if you don't know it's coming)

It is on my 'i'm gonna buy it' list

Oh, and i never read the novel, so i walked into it with a totally open mind so no need to read before

It's a good date movie, one to show the older young'ens you may be babysitting (10+ or so) or one for an adult to kill a couple of hours with
                    Glad you liked it!

The really nice thing is that it's just separate enough from the book that I hardly thought about the book while watching, and then when I re-read it afterwards, images of the movie didn't keep popping into my head in the place of my own imaginings, but it wasn't so different as to remain annoyingly unfaithful to the source material. REALLY nice to have that happen. It doesn't much with adaptions, so I was really impressed. It's definitely a film to add to the "must buy" list.

Comment

Saw it yesterday, it was great! Even though its an adaptation it's refreshing to see a good movie come out that isn't a remake or a sqeuel or a threquel.

Comment

no kidding

I"m so sick of sequals, remakes and mimicks

nad all we ever hear 'movie attendance is down....' well folks, if you'd get off your tushes and make something original every once in a while. there'd be something for us to go see
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          no kidding

I"m so sick of sequals, remakes and mimicks

nad all we ever hear 'movie attendance is down....' well folks, if you'd get off your tushes and make something original every once in a while. there'd be something for us to go see
                          Yup. But then again, "Rush Hour 3" earned nearly four times the amount Stardust did on opening weekend.

I liked the tagline that Neil Gaiman mentioned on his blog: "Stardust: It's not a sequel to anything."

Comment

So Stardust is based on a novel? Not a graphic novel?
                            Just checking because I've only heard of Neil Gaiman in relation to his graphic novels.
                            I've seen the trailer and thought it looked wonderful. Don't know when we'll see it Down Under.
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

It's already out? Coolness. When I went to see Order of the Phoenix it said "coming soon" in the trailer....

*wants*
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                              X