This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masters of Science Fiction

Anybody else been following this show. The premiere episode (A Clean Escape) which aired last week was pretty good. Last night's episode (The Awakening) with Lost's Terrance O'Quinn was very good as well. I know they originally stated that 4 episodes would be shown, but ABC has purchased 3 more scripts so we might get 7 or more episodes this season. Let me know what you think so far.

Masters of Science Fiction is basically a modern day version of Outer Limit's that will feature works from some of the brightest authors of science fiction, from Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein and HG Wells. - Featuring a stellar lineup of actors and directors, and narrated by acclaimed physicist Professor Stephen Hawking.

Here is a brief synopsis of the four sceduled episodes.

Spoiler:
    The series premieres with "A Clean Escape" (SATURDAY, AUGUST 4), based on Nebula Award-winning author John Kessel's short story. Mark Rydell ("On Golden Pond," "The River," "The Rose") directed from a script by Sam Egan ("The Outer Limits"). In "A Clean Escape," set not too far in a post-Apocalyptic future, psychiatrist Dr. Deanna Evans (Judy Davis) interrogates a distinguished, if befuddled, man (Sam Waterston) who appears to be suffering from a lapse in memory. Why can't he remember - and why is it so important that she uncover the secret he holds deep inside?

The second episode, "The Awakening" (SATURDAY, AUGUST 11), stars Terry O'Quinn and Elisabeth Rohm. Based on the short story by Hollywood Blacklist author Howard Fast ("Spartacus," "Citizen Tom Paine"), the episode opens outside Baghdad, where U.S. soldiers discover a mysterious casualty - one they can't even identify as human. William B. Davis ("The X-Files") guest stars as the President of the United States. Michael Petroni ("Till Human Voices Wake Us") directed from a script he wrote, based on the short story by Howard Fast.

The third installment is "Jerry Was a Man" (SATURDAY, AUGUST 18), featuring Anne Heche and Malcolm McDowell. Michael Tolkin ("The Player," "The Rapture," "The Burning Season") directs from a script he wrote based on the classic Robert Heinlein story. Set in the future, the world's seventh richest couple, the van Vogels, find their lives changed forever when they acquire an anthropoid named Jerry.

The series concludes with "The Discarded" (SATURDAY, AUGUST 25), based on the short story by seven-time Hugo Award winner, three-time Nebula Award winner and Science Fiction Grand Master Laureate Harlan Ellison. The episode is written by Harlan Ellison and 2005 Academy Award nominee Josh Olson ("A History of Violence"). Jonathan Frakes ("Star Trek") directed. Brian Dennehy, John Hurt and James Denton star in this ultimate story of despised minorities sentenced to drift in the darkness of outer space forever. These men and women make a desperate pact in the hope of being offered refuge at home on Earth.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

I think the orginal corder was for 13, then downed to 6 but only 4 will be shown.

The show is as good as canceled before it was even shown. Saturday night at 10pm in the summer with no ads? I see a hit!

The first two epsidoes were good, next week's looks very bad and really cheesey.

Comment

I saw the first one- had to record last night's ep and haven't watched it yet. Really liked the first one, though the dialogue did feel a bit like it was taken directly from the written story a bit too much, if you know what I mean (for example the guy says "SOB"? That just always sounds wrong in any medium aside from print fiction.). I could be wrong though, never read the story.

However, both of the main actors were really good, and over all I really liked it. Can't wait to watch the second one- I noticed Elizabeth Rohm from Angel is in it.

I'm also really disapointed with how ABC has handled this series- I've been really excited about it ever since it was first announced; if the first ep is any indication, they could have something really good here. Every episode can't be a masterpiece in an experimental show like this, and if they only made six.....well, to panic over it seems a bit premature.

Comment

What there is a show like this and I never heard of it before? If I had known it was on last night I would have watched it, instead of my DVDs of the Lord of the Rings.

Figures that a network channel would handle a show this badly.
        sigpic

Comment

First ep seemed like a stereotypical Outer Limits ep (newer series, not older). Forgot to watch the one last night and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. Is this series really going to showcase top-notch stories from verified masters of the genre (I've never heard of the guy who wrote the pilot ep) or is it just going to be a chance to showcase a lot of big-name actors prancing about in the interchangeable Moral Dilemma of the Week?

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
            What there is a show like this and I never heard of it before? If I had known it was on last night I would have watched it, instead of my DVDs of the Lord of the Rings.

Figures that a network channel would handle a show this badly.
            Oh yeah they have never shown an ad for this show, never. They also pushed it from it's mid season start. The way the network treated the show isn't shocking but silldisappointing.

And it is a slightly less cheesey Outer Limits, but I see problem with that.

Comment

I've seen a few commercials for it, but they spend all their time talking about the actors, not the writers.

Comment

ive seen both of them and i think that last nights was not very good so i may not be watched the last to because ive been disapointed with the first two. just my two cents on this subject.

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

I have seen the first one, and thought it was brilliant. Shall try to watch the 2nd tonight. Seems like it could be a great series
                  Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

For Canadian viewers, it looks like all six episodes will be airing on SPACE this November, starting on the fourth.

http://www.spacecast.com/shows_4392.aspx

I'm really glad we'll get to see them all- even the apparently less-than-decent episodes would be interesting to watch.

Comment

I cant see it being better than the Outer Limits, but ill give this show a chance...cant be worse than most of the crud calling itself sci-fi on tv these days.
                      Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                      Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

2nd ep was pretty good too
                        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
                          2nd ep was pretty good too
                          Yes, I thought so too, it's a shame there isn't more shows like this; it's one of my favorite show formats.

My other all time favorite is the ghost story type of show, I never see these things anymore. I often watch the haunted house show on the discovery channel, because it's the best thing on in that genera.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                            Yes, I thought so too, it's a shame there isn't more shows like this; it's one of my favorite show formats.

My other all time favorite is the ghost story type of show, I never see these things anymore. I often watch the haunted house show on the discovery channel, because it's the best thing on in that genera.
                            Yes i like this short story format too. Which is strange, because i consider myself an arc/character development type show fan.

I think this works because its a new theme/time/story each week with a different cast.

Looking forward to the 3rd ep

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
                              Yes i like this short story format too. Which is strange, because i consider myself an arc/character development type show fan.
                              I'm definitely a character arc/development type fan as well- so I was surprised by how much I like this format. Perhaps it's the fact that we could get anything each week? I haven't looked up the eps on the internet or anything, so I'm clueless as to what each ep will be.

Comment

Working...
                              X