This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NASA Photographs Big Galactic Collision

A major cosmic pileup involving four large galaxies could give rise to one of the largest galaxies the universe has ever known, scientists say.

Each of the four galaxies is at least the size of the Milky Way, and each is home to billions of stars.

The galaxies will eventually merge into a single, colossal galaxy up to 10 times as massive as our own Milky Way.

"When this merger is complete, this will be one of the biggest galaxies in the universe," said study team member Kenneth Rines of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

The finding, to be detailed in an upcoming issue of Astrophysical Journal Letters, gives scientists their first real glimpse into a galaxy merger involving multiple big galaxies.

"Most of the galaxy mergers we already knew about are like compact cars crashing together," Rines said. "What we have here is like four sand trucks smashing together, flinging sand everywhere."

Galaxy collisions are a common occurrence in the universe. Our own Milky Way is fated to collide and merge with its neighbor, Andromeda, in about 5 billion years.

Astronomers have observed several clashes involving one big galaxy and several larger ones, and they have also witnessed more major mergers among pairs of big galaxies. But the new findings mark the first time major mergers between multiple hefty galaxies have ever been seen.

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope serendipitously spotted the quadruple merger during a routine survey of a distant galaxy cluster, called CL0958+4702, located nearly 5 billion light years away. Spitzer's infrared eyes observed an unusually large fan-shaped plume of light emerging from a gathering of four blob-shaped elliptical galaxies. Three of the galaxies are about the size of the Milky Way, while the fourth is three times as large.

The plume turned out to be billions of elderly stars ejected and abandoned during the clash. About half of the stars in the plume will later fall back into the galaxies.

Spitzer observations also show that, unlike most known mergers, the galaxies involved in the quadruple collision are bereft of gas, the source material that fuels star birth. As a result, astronomers predict that relatively few new stars will be born in the new, combined galaxy.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/nasa-ph...00010000000001

There is a Stargate Story to be done here based off of this.

This may be the backlash from sending the Sangraal into the Ori Galaxy.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

That crazy Adria, too bad we didn't kill her when we had the chance.....

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz View Post
        That crazy Adria, too bad we didn't kill her when we had the chance.....
        How dare you! Even if she is a murdering menace, she deserves to live. If we just submitted, she would convert us without bloodshed.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrolan View Post
          How dare you! Even if she is a murdering menace, she deserves to live. If we just submitted, she would convert us without bloodshed.
          Agree. Let's all submit to Adria.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
            Agree. Let's all submit to Adria.

Honestly, if she's at the end of Origen, I am so there.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrolan View Post
              Honestly, if she's at the end of Origen, I am so there.
              Everyone will be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
                Everyone will be there.
                Wonderful! It's party. Morena can bring the beer!

Comment

lol

Comment

So anyway, big galactic collision, cool.
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Cool. I haven't studied astronomy for a long time, but how do they know "When this merger is complete, this will be one of the biggest galaxies in the universe?"

I mean, it will be one of the biggest KNOWN galaxies....

Comment

Must have been some highly anticipated convention, for having literally four galaxies crush into each other...
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Cool! So when's this going to happen? Can I look about , uhm, saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                            Cool! So when's this going to happen? Can I look about , uhm, saturday?
                            Check out your emails. You'll receive one when the galaxies will have collided.
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

No way, the galaxy has an email notification option? That's so good.

I wonder if they sell hotdogs when it happens

Comment

Working...
                              X