Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't there any BIG guns on Tau'ri Ships?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why isn't there any BIG guns on Tau'ri Ships?

Okay, so one of the primary weapons on Tau'ri ships (Pre-Unending) is the rail guns. So, where are the BIG guns? Shure, those small caliber rail-guns work great as point defenses but how about some bigger stuff for ship to ship capabilities. How about some 280mm caliber guns -- mach 5 rail gun style prefered instead of mach 2+ chemical explosive (gunpowder) if possible.

And here is the shells we could use in them -- Nuclear Artillery Shells -- Scroll down the page until you come to the first actual nuclear blast test photo -- that shell was a W9 -- and had an atomic yeild of 15 kilotons. Bet that would do a lot more damage then those little bitty caliber things when it comes to enemy capitol ships --- the missles don't seem to be getting through but the guns do -- so why not get some BIG guns and fire nuclear yeild shells.

You can also check out the W33 atomic shell which the U.S. finished disassembling in 2003 and we should therefore still have all the parts to reassemble and slate for use only on the Tau'ri ships -- I'm sure the Russians wouldn't mind (that's why we disassembled them) if we used a few on some bad guys out there in the rest of the galaxy. Heck with all the Naquada enhanced ordinance we already have getting permission to reassemble them for such a purpose as a secret addendum to the SALT pack should be small potatoes.

And one more note -- with the tech we have now we should have no problem whatsoever souping up those 1960's designs that were crude but worked with some modern engineering, captured alien technology, and a little bit of Naquada or Naquadria to get the yeilds up to the megaton level.
    Last edited by turbo1889; 06 August 2007, 08:06 PM.

I've been saying, or at least thinking, that stuff for a while. Green for you.
    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Because every group in the SG universe is militarily incompetent?

Honest answer is that the power of the enemy shields would have to get proportionally more powerful to stop 1 hit kills from being possible. Plot is the reason.

Why didn't the Asgard time dilate the supergate, giving the galaxy a hundred or so years to deal with the Ori? Why don't they use time dilation in battle (a single O'Neil class ship properly using it could destroy a dozen Ori motherships at once)

Why didn't the Ancients weaponize ZPM's? At 50% charge one could wipe out the Sol system. Or make a mobile chair weapons platform armed with 10,000 drones and a ZPM? It would destroy wraith armadas without effort.

Why didn't the Tau'ri use the ZPM we got from Camulus to blast the Asurans away? Or the supergate.

Yes, humanity should have Halo style MAC guns on their ships. No in story reason why they don't.

Comment

I think, and don't quote me on this, that the reason you can't use explosive or nuclear ordinance with a railgun is that the round, or at least the outside of it turns into a plasma. Anyway it's something I thought I remembered reading. A coilgun launched nuclear shell would probably be feasible.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
          I think, and don't quote me on this, that the reason you can't use explosive or nuclear ordinance with a railgun is that the round, or at least the outside of it turns into a plasma. Anyway it's something I thought I remembered reading. A coilgun launched nuclear shell would probably be feasible.
          I can't see this happening in a vacuum somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
            I can't see this happening in a vacuum somehow.
            Why not, I believe it happens because of heat built up during firing.

Although the naquadah enhanced nuclear ordinance could be fired with a regular naval gun tacked on to a 304. It would be slower and shorter range than a railgun, but the rounds would be harder to intercept than a missile, and would pack a punch. They could do close in strafing runs with them, and heck they fight at spitting range anyway. They could also attach one to a missile a 302 could carry.
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

E= 0.5*m*v^2

A much heavier projectile would need alot more energy to catapult, which we probably cannot sustain for a long time.

Comment

i say that the ships should always have a nuclear bullets but the guys in the sg writers never thought of it

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
                  Because every group in the SG universe is militarily incompetent?

Or make a mobile chair weapons platform armed with 10,000 drones and a ZPM? It would destroy wraith armadas without effort.
                  Ever hear of the Aurora-Class Warship?
                  And, hint: it did.

The Lanteans claimed they could hypothetically win every Space-based battle, but they couldn't win the war outright.

Why didn't the Tau'ri use the ZPM we got from Camulus to blast the Asurans away? Or the supergate.
                  The IOA probably hopes to eventually kill the Asurans using a PWARW satellite, and recover their tech. Using the Horizon device they only destroyed key military targets, and planned to use the PWARW later.
                  sigpic
                  "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                  ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                    Ever hear of the Aurora-Class Warship?
                    And, hint: it did.

The Lanteans claimed they could hypothetically win every Space-based battle, but they couldn't win the war outright.
                    Then they sucked at war. Winning the Wraith War, even outnumbered a thousand to 1 should have been no problem with shown Ancient tech.

The Aurora has never been shown to carry anywhere near an appropriate number of drones or the ability to properly utilize them.

The IOA probably hopes to eventually kill the Asurans using a PWARW satellite, and recover their tech. Using the Horizon device they only destroyed key military targets, and planned to use the PWARW later.
                    The IOA is stupid them. Still why didn't they use it on the Supergate?

Comment

Then they sucked at war. Winning the Wraith War, even outnumbered a thousand to 1 should have been no problem with shown Ancient tech.
                      Spoiler:
                      If Michael could create hundreds of Bug-people artificially over a period of months, can you imagine how quickly the millions of existing Wraith could've naturally created offspring? And if the Wraith could grow Warships on any planet, how would you propose destroying the Wraith Armada (without committing genocide)?

The Aurora has never been shown to carry anywhere near an appropriate number of drones or the ability to properly utilize them.
                      You mean the millenniums-old Orion? The one that was severely damaged, and hugely underpowered? The one that the Wraith Fleet couldn't destroy until they decided to turn off their shields? The one that unleashed a wave of dozens of drones in the blink of an eye and destroyed a Wraith hiveship just that quickly?

No... no... you couldn't have possibly meant that one...
                      sigpic
                      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                      ~David Hewlett

Comment

Ancients were impotent at war and facing a relentless enemy that far out numbered them. They were better at retreat.

We already were given an example of Ancient impotence: Captain and crew of the Tria.

Earthlings are so far better at war. Why? So much more experience and we do what needs to be done. If we had the Ancient tech, Wraith would be toasted. Replicators? Forget about it. Ori? Would have been decimated before they could Ascend.

Ancients were just nerds like the Asgard. Nox are even worse.

Comment

The IOA is stupid them. Still why didn't they use it on the Supergate?
                          because they would just build another supergate and then we would not have anything to destroy that one with

Comment

Originally posted by Xeon_1 View Post
                            because they would just build another supergate and then we would not have anything to destroy that one with
                            Yes but it buys you time.

Comment

As for the time dilation thingy, it's actually possible that it takes time for the Asgards to build one.

We can assume that they integrated their last one to the computer core as well.

As for the topic, a coilgun in space, like 1 meter wide, would be a deadly weapon, with proportionally sized weapons.

Used as super guns, instead of raining plenty of shells, the big coilguns should be used like berthas, and fire huge reinforced shells, with naqahdah enhanced and focused warheads.

High gigaton yields would be required, to deal the maximum damage in the less shots.

Yields could be dialed up or down by dosing the amount of reactants into the warhead. A system should be made to be able to load pellets of naqahdah into a warhead, depending on the boost you're looking for.
                              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Working...
                              X