I gonna check into Babylon 5 but need chronology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gonna check into Babylon 5 but need chronology

Back in September of '06 I watched the first few episodes and was a little confused so I stopped watching. But after hearing more about it I've decided to check into the show again. Unfortunately I have no idea what to start with, the movies? or the first season? Does anyone know how to watch the series and movies and crusade and the lost tales in order? Thanks
    There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

Here is a list including the movies in order.

Pilot Movies

Babylon 5: In the Beginning
    The Gathering
    Season One ("Signs and Portents")

Midnight on the Firing Line
    Soul Hunter
    Born to the Purple
    Infection
    The Parliament of Dreams
    Mind War
    The War Prayer
    And The Sky Full Of Stars
    Deathwalker
    Believers
    Survivors
    By Any Means Necessary
    Signs and Portents
    Grail
    Eyes
    A Voice in the Wilderness part 1
    A Voice in the Wilderness part 2
    Babylon Squared
    The Quality of Mercy
    TKO
    Legacies
    Chrysalis
    Season Two ("The Coming Of Shadows")

Points of Departure
    Revelations
    The Geometry of Shadows
    A Distant Star
    The Long Dark
    A Spider in the Web
    A Race Through Dark Places
    Soul Mates
    The Coming of Shadows
    GROPOS
    All Alone in the Night
    Acts of Sacrifice
    Hunter, Prey
    There All the Honor Lies
    And Now For a Word
    Knives
    In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum
    Confessions and Lamentations
    Divided Loyalties
    The Long, Twilight Struggle
    Comes the Inquisitor
    The Fall of Night
    Season Three ("Point of No Return")

Matters of Honor
    Convictions
    A Day in the Strife
    Passing Through Gethsemane
    Voices of Authority (this was originally meant to air before "Passing Through Gethsemane," but since the events of this episode tie into the beginning of "Dust to Dust," and aren't mentioned at all in "Gethsemane," the initial airing order is actually an improvement)
    Dust to Dust
    Exogenesis
    Messages from Earth
    Point of No Return
    Severed Dreams
    Ceremonies of Light and Dark
    A Late Delivery From Avalon
    Sic Transit Vir
    Ship of Tears
    Interludes and Examinations
    Walkabout
    War Without End, Part One
    War Without End, Part Two
    Grey 17 Is Missing
    And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place
    Shadow Dancing
    Z'ha'dum
    Season Four ("No Surrender, No Retreat")

The Hour of the Wolf
    Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?
    The Summoning
    Falling Toward Apotheosis
    The Long Night
    Into the Fire
    Epiphanies
    The Illusion of Truth
    Thirdspace
    Atonement
    Racing Mars
    Lines of Communication
    Conflicts of Interest
    Rumors, Bargains and Lies
    Moments of Transition
    No Surrender, No Retreat
    The Exercise of Vital Powers
    The Face of the Enemy
    Intersections in Real Time
    Between the Darkness and the Light
    Endgame
    Rising Star
    The Deconstruction of Falling Stars
    Season Five

No Compromises
    The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari
    The Paragon of Animals
    A View from the Gallery
    Learning Curve
    Strange Relations
    Secrets of the Soul
    In the Kingdom of the Blind
    A Tragedy of Telepaths
    Phoenix Rising
    The Ragged Edge
    Day of the Dead
    The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father
    Meditations on the Abyss
    Darkness Ascending
    And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder
    Movements of Fire and Shadow
    The Fall of Centauri Prime
    Wheel of Fire
    Objects in Motion
    Objects at Rest
    River of Souls
    The Legend of the Rangers
    Sleeping in Light
    Spinoffs

A Call to Arms
    Crusade - This ordering, which JMS specified, ignores the uniform change in favor of maintaining continuity of storyline.
    Racing the Night
    The Needs of Earth
    The Memory of War
    The Long Road
    Visitors from Down the Street
    The Well of Forever
    Each Night I Dream of Home
    Patterns of the Soul
    The Path of Sorrows
    Ruling from the Tomb
    The Rules of the Game
    War Zone
    Appearances and Other Deceits
    Voices in the Dark

Here is the link for more info.

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countr...er/eplist.html

Comment

Thank you. Now I can start watching
      There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

Comment

I would highly advise against watching "In the Beginning" first because it requires that you know much of the major plot points of seasons 1-4. If you watch "In the Beginning" before starting the series, much of the mystery of the first few seasons will be ruined. Anyway, this is what I personally think is the best order (movies are in blue):

"The Gathering"
        Season 1
        Season 2
        Season 3
        *Season 4 up through "The Illusion of Truth"
        "Thirdspace"
        The rest of Season 4
        "In the Beginning"
        **Season 5 up through "Objects at Rest"
        "The River of Souls"
        "Legend of the Rangers"
        "A Call to Arms"
        ***Crusade (The Complete Series)
        ****"The Lost Tales"
        *****Season 5 Finale "Sleeping in Light"

*The consistency gets a little confusing here, because at the beginning of Atonement we see Zack getting his new uniform but in "Thirdspace" he already has it. But I think you can live with a slight uniform inconsistency.
        **The episode "Day of the Dead" on the S5 DVD boxed set is put as episode 5x08, however it was intended to be put after "Pheonix Rising" as 5x11.
        ***The viewing order is really wacky with this one. TNT screwed up the order when it was being aired. JMS set up what he thinks is the best viewing order (Click here) but there are still inconsistencies. There is no perfect order since there will always be inconsistencies, so just choose whichever one you like.
        ****Only one part of this collection has been made so far, more will hopefully be made over the next few years.
        *****While this episode is the S5 finale, it takes place 20 years after "Objects at Rest" and really is chronologically the last thing you should watch.

I hope that helped.
        Last edited by Xicer; 06 August 2007, 01:26 PM.
        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

there are two versions of "the Gathering" the originals and the TNT one, if you get the movie collection you will get the better TNT version. After that there is a argument some b5 say watch "In the Beginning" another TNT movie first and you will understand what going on in season 1, but I believe that you should want season one first then watch "In the Beginning"

The other thing you can do is start with season 2 and skip season 1 for a bit, honestly season 1 is the slow part of the whole run of the show as suffers from two many writers trying to do to many things. Where Later seasons with JMS writing almost every script have a much more focused. I think you will find that start in season 2 you might be able to get into B5 better and after your into the show you can go back to season 1 and have better understanding and also a desire you watch it as well
          "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

I'd also strongly recommend NOT watching "In the Beginning" until you've gone through Season Four. That's when it first aired; it's an amazing film that is set before Season One, but it ties together all of the pieces of the mystery and assembles them into a single story.

A LOT of what B5 is about, at least for the first few years, is slowly teasing out what had come before.
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I suggest NOT watching Legend of the Rangers, it was awful and didn't really add anything to the B5 verse.
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
                If you watch "In the Beginning" before starting the series, much of the mystery of the first few seasons will be ruined.
                Not to mention it's silly to start with a top-quality movie then take a giant step backwards to the dawn of CGI and a series concept still in development. Start with the earliest work and make your way forward.

I advise "The Gathering", seasons 1-4, "In the Beginning", season 5, then the rest of the movies. --The way the audience saw it.

Also, Night Marshal is right, you *can* start with season 2 if you have no interest in "getting into" Babylon 5.
                Last edited by Wordsmit2; 21 August 2007, 08:15 AM.
                Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with getting into "In the Beginning" at all.

1. If you use it as a starter, well as people say, it'll blow all mysteries up to
                  S3.

2. You find out enough about the Earth-Minbari war throughout the series anyway.

Now personally, I first got into the show through a novel and S3 aired a couple of months later.

However I've you're doing this from the start, I'd go with:

The Gathering(Pilot)
                  Season 1
                  Season 2
                  Season 3
                  A large chunk of S4
                  Thirdspace
                  Rest of S4
                  Most of S5(don't bother with Sleeping in Light)
                  A Call to Arms
                  Crusade
                  Lost Tales
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Watch the episodes and movies in the order they originally aired and you can't go far wrong. I wouldn't miss any episodes or movies for a first watch, but if you find some of them weaker than others, you can skip them on any re-watches.

The thing with B5 is that you get hints of future events very early in the first season, that you'll only understand when watching it again when you know what happened. This is why B5 is a bit different from the episodic shows such as Stargate (there may be a long-term plotline but the events of each episode are more important), it may take a bit more work getting into it, but it's certainly worth it in the end.

However, once you get to Crusade, which to my mind is a crucial part of B5 mythology, you'll do better watching the episodes out of order. TNT intentionally sabotaged the show by showing episodes in a weird order.

Air Date Ep# Prod# Title
                    01/04/09 9 103 Racing the Night
                    01/04/10 11 101 The Needs of Earth
                    01/04/11 10 102 The Memory of War
                    01/04/12 2 107 The Long Road
                    01/04/16 12 104 Visitors from Down the Street
                    01/04/17 3 106 The Well of Forever
                    01/04/18 13 105 Each Night I Dream of Home
                    01/04/19 5 110 Patterns of the Soul
                    01/04/23 4 109 The Path of Sorrows
                    01/04/24 6 111 Ruling from the Tomb
                    01/04/25 7 112 The Rules of the Game
                    01/04/26 1 108 War Zone
                    01/04/30 8 113 Appearances and Other Deceits

See the ultimate B5 resource: Lurker's Guide
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                      However, once you get to Crusade, which to my mind is a crucial part of B5 mythology, you'll do better watching the episodes out of order. TNT intentionally sabotaged the show by showing episodes in a weird order.
                      On the other hand, in the periodic Crusade discussions in the "Babylon 5?" thread here at Gateworld, people seem to find the sequence on the DVDs (TNT's sequence) more enjoyable than any other. Straczynski's sequence makes Gideon much more interesting, but you find other characters hard to take.
                      Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Thank you all. I can't wait to go out now and pick up the sets to start enjoying them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2 View Post
                          On the other hand, in the periodic Crusade discussions in the "Babylon 5?" thread here at Gateworld, people seem to find the sequence on the DVDs (TNT's sequence) more enjoyable than any other. Straczynski's sequence makes Gideon much more interesting, but you find other characters hard to take.
                          I didn't really notice that much, apart from another uniform confusion, but I don't really care about the visuals in that sense enough to worry about some pesky uniform change. Gideon after all is the main character, much more so than Sinclair, Sheridan or Lochley.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                            but I don't really care about the visuals in that sense enough to worry about some pesky uniform change.
                            Yeah. I'm always a bit boggled by people's obsession with it. I can only think of one scene in which I notice a uniform, and the director probably meant us to, since it gives a nice clear view of insignia.
                            Wordsmit2

Comment

I've got a question then. For a first time viewer, what's the best? The order on the DVD, JMS' revised order or chronological?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusade...leted_episodes

After a little research, i'm leaning towards the chronological but... I'm a bit confised tbh. What do you folk think?

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Working...
                              X