Asgard choices...spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard choices...spoilers

so yeah the Asgard killed themselves (what a waste) so I have two questions here they are
    1. So why did they kill themselves and not go down fighting against the ori?
    2. since they killed themselves they gave all their technology to earth, why didnt they give us thier ships as well? they wouldnt be using them right? did those all get destoryed too?
    Thats all I can say seems to me their demise was pretty lame and fast. I kow they gave us their technology but why not their ships?
    I miss Thor...

The Asgard decided to commit mass suicide becuase their most recent effort to reverse their genetic degridation/clong problem resulted in each of them contracting a fatal genetic flaw/disease which would of killed them in a very short space of time (a few weeks, I believe).

Rather than continue to suffer & work on what they saw as an incurable & on-going problem, they chose to commit mass suicicde rather than suffer in absolute agony (life without a decent qaulity of life is not living @ all IMHO) - remembering here that they have had thousands, if not millions, of years to work on this problem & it has been hinted at many times through SG-1's ten-year run in many episodes that their genetic degridation & cloning problem has been a on-going, constant issue for them for a very, very long time.

They gave Earth all their knowledge, history, etc as they trusted Humanity with it; preferring to give it to friends than let their technology fall inrto the wrong hands, such as those of the Lucian Alliance, the Goa'uuld, etc. This would of been in part too why they would of morethanlikely destrouyed all remaining technology, shps, etc; to ensure that those like Baal, etc couldn't use their technology for inaproperiate/evil ends.

It is also makes sense that they *MAY* have left various Asgard-populated worlds to their own devices (left structures on other worlds they have colonized in Ida Galaxy), although that they have stripped them off all dangerious/potentially deadly forms of technology/weapons; as stated before, they wanted to entrust their legacy to a species/culture they felt they could trust to use it respoonsibly & ethically as much as possible.

The question of left over technology, shps & wepaons may be answered in future DVD releases of STARGATE, however, we will not really know for sure unless the TPTB telll us otherwise (Although ti is fun to speculate! ).

Hope this helps answer some of your questions & that my take on things has helped give you some more interesting things to think about!

& FYI, I miss Thor & the Asgard too (I cred when Orilla blew to bits! ); it certainly makes the universe a less brighter place now they are gone. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by akren View Post
      The question of left over technology, shps & wepaons may be answered in future DVD releases of STARGATE, however, we will not really know for sure unless the TPTB telll us otherwise (Although ti is fun to speculate! ).

Hope this helps answer some of your questions & that my take on things has helped give you some more interesting things to think about!

& FYI, I miss Thor & the Asgard too (I cred when Orilla blew to bits! ); it certainly makes the universe a less brighter place now they are gone. . . .
      Hopefully we will get some resolution on what happened to all of the Asgard's ships and other technology. IMO, just more reason to keep these movies coming.

I know I miss Thor and the other Asgard too. I just hope humanity can live up to their hopes and expectations as the Fifth Race.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Darkdreams View Post
        1. So why did they kill themselves and not go down fighting against the ori?
        They were incapable of thinking that, they lack the creative mind of humans or another race. Remember they needed someone dumber to help them out when the Replicators took control of three of their ships and Carter suggested to use the Daniel Jackson as a poly to get them to follow since the the ship was the most advance ship the Asgard had and then enter hyperspace then use the self-destruct to destory the three Replicator controled ships. But the Carter suggested it Thor said he or another Asgard would have never ever thought of that.

Comment

Let me answer your question with a question...

Why do we arm the self destruct at the SGC any time there is a good chance that it has been overrun by aliens? To keep them from getting information and technology that we don't want them to have.

Sure, the Asgard could have "gone down fighting", but what if the Ori or Ba'al captured one, just one, of their ships? They could study it for a few months and then duplicate the massively advanced technology. Instead of risking such a horrible outcome they chose to give all of their knowledge and technology to the Tau'ri and then destroy any remaining pieces that could fall into enemy hands.

To put it another way, they put all of their knowledge onto and external hard drive and then wiped their computer so that no hacker could come along and steal the information that was there before. The information is still safe since it is on that external, but it is sequestered into a more containable space.

Comment

actually they activate the self distruct in the SGC so that earth isnt invaded by a hostile force

And the asgard problem wasnt that degenitive they had enough time to create the database for the humans

and as I just said in another thread the desease was easy to cure? just go back to a previous DNA sample before the desease..............

Comment

Originally posted by HAL View Post
              and as I just said in another thread the desease was easy to cure? just go back to a previous DNA sample before the desease..............
              They tried. Remember the episode in season 6 where the team is sent in to rescue that Asguard hidden on the planet? Theyhad that spemin to work from, but who knows what it caused.

Comment

Originally posted by Konman72 View Post
                Let me answer your question with a question...

Why do we arm the self destruct at the SGC any time there is a good chance that it has been overrun by aliens? To keep them from getting information and technology that we don't want them to have.

Sure, the Asgard could have "gone down fighting", but what if the Ori or Ba'al captured one, just one, of their ships? They could study it for a few months and then duplicate the massively advanced technology. Instead of risking such a horrible outcome they chose to give all of their knowledge and technology to the Tau'ri and then destroy any remaining pieces that could fall into enemy hands.

To put it another way, they put all of their knowledge onto and external hard drive and then wiped their computer so that no hacker could come along and steal the information that was there before. The information is still safe since it is on that external, but it is sequestered into a more containable space.
                I understand what you are saying but it doesnt make any sense, if they gave us their technology then we can make more of thier ships it will just take time. I dont really see the difference. If they gave us their technology AND their ships we would be in a better possition to fight the Ori, as it is the only reason that I could see that they "destroyed" all their ships would be so that we have to spend the time to study and know the technology before we have the fire power of all their ships at our disposal. as it is they upgraded our ship.
                I gues we shall see maybe they mothballed theri ships and we will find them later in the upcoming movies

Comment

Originally posted by Darkdreams View Post
                  would be so that we have to spend the time to study and know the technology before we have the fire power of all their ships at our disposal. as it is they upgraded our ship.
                  That is what i think their intent was. We will know how to properly use their ships once we understand them bette.r

Comment

I've posted this around before but what if they wanted us to take over solving their cloning problem? They gave us their knowlege, all their history, all their technology, what if we could use all of that and make unique Asgard AI? One day we could solve their cloning problem and down load the Asgard AI into the the new body, recreating their race?

As for their ships, i believe they are all destroyed. Of course it would be nice if we got an Oniell but for them it must have been like a general handing a new recruit the keys to a Nimitz class aircraft carrier.

Why they didn't go down fighting, maybe they were days away from that extremely painful death, or close enough so that they were not sure how much longer they had. If they launched all their war vessels to battle they might have died enroute leaving several extremely powerful, highly advanced vessels unmanned and open for the taking (for who ever can get passed the shield).

IF the Human race were in the position of the Asgard, with a rapidly progressing disease, and the people around you are the same people who you have been with for thousands of years, wouldnt you like to go out with your own kind, especially if you are not sure you can make it to the battle? And they did seem to have destroyed 2 vessels when they blew Orilla up.
                    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I would image that the asgard faked their death (with ORI and humans watching) so they could leave and start over. Even if the asgards as we know them are gone there are most likely more "primitive" versions spread throughout the cosmos.

As far as the O'neils and mothballed Belinskers go, there is probably a subterrean vault somewhere where they are being stored for safekeeping until the ori are gone. Think about it, if the ships aren't able to beat the ori, they will be wasted in pointless battle as cannon fire and we would lose ships we would never otherwise have the capability to construct. I would imagine that IF stargate survives as a series or concept, +these ships will be discovered, the wraith and asurians will be permanently dealt with and earth will colonize milky way, pegasus, and ida galaxies. The asgard and ancients didn't have any concept on how to utilize weapons like an aurora, belinsker, oneil, odessy etc. and we do.

Comment

Simply it was the end of the show & they needed something big!

Realistically it wouldn't have gone down like that. They were struggling as a race & it'd be idiotic to have them all try something new & experimental on themselves. Which if it went wrong, it would doom them all. Instead they would have isolated & tested it on a single subject. Monitored them then gradually spread it to the others.

It's moronic to get everyone together then have them all take the magic new pill, especially when nobody knows what the long-term consequences would be. If it goes pear shaped, they're all screwed all because they were rash in jumping into something weithout knowing what the outcome would be.

The best possible way to have ended it would be for the Asgard to have chucked themselves all in stasis, then left it to 'the 5th race' & their greatest allies. A race that they have placed all their trust in to find a way to save their species. That would have been an awesome tribute & fitting way to end the series. Then it leaves open the door for more movies in which they have all the Asgard gathered together in their stasis pods. Then they have this knowledge that they can use to try & help not only the Asgard but also the other races of the various galaxies with their new found technology. They could even introduce old enemies from the time of the great alliance. In which they find out that the Asgard escaped the original attack that broke up the alliance. They thought they had wiped out them all. However some Asgard fled to IDA. Furlings were wiped out apart from a few stragglers. Nox went into hiding on a single planet. While Ancients who did survive managed to ascend. Now they come looking to finish the job once & for all, meaning Earth or whatever planet they are being kept on is in huge danger.

Heck they could even have done a mini-series out of such an idea then broadcast it on Sci-Fi & then eventually on DVD.

If it were more 'real' then the Asgard would have been all over Atlantis the moment they heard about the fact that humans had not only a fully working Lantean city but also 'the city', the main city of their operations in Pegasus. Yet we never seen or heard anything about them going through the city.

The other choices would have been the Time-Jumper they had in Area 51. They could have went back in time to get direct samples or whatever from the Asgard pre-cloning. If the generator was damaged then with direct access & a few years worth of study time, I'm sure they could have easily repaired the thing again.

The most obvious choices though are using Robots to download their consciousnesses into. They won't suffer from memory problems like humans & they can be always upgraded or whatever making them virtually immortal. If they went to Altair I'm sure Harlan could have built them all new bodies.

The last one is what we've seen happen with Thor before. Where they put their mins into the ship itself. This way they become the ship & so again are virtually immortal. At least until they get the ability to find a way around their cloning problems, in which case they can go portable once again.

It's a silly choice to not be seen or involved much, then suddenly we are dying because we done everyone at the same time & doomed our race. Take this as & remember us, then bye bye, boom, boom! Heck, they wanted the humans to carry on their work in helping others, yet they didn't even think that in order to do it properly the humans could really have done with all their ships in order to get around the galaxy together. Considering they knew the limited number of Earth ships that's up & running, their uber ships could have been the start of a scary fleet. They had at least half a dozen warships in S8 after the Reps were taken care of. So 2 years later I'm sure a few more would have been added, as well as any DJ class or whatever.

I like 'Unending' I really do, but the sudden way in which it was done was too rushed. Considering the possibilities that I mentioned above were never seen or referenced on the show at all. To me it's nothing more than lazy writing!

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                          Simply it was the end of the show & they needed something big!

Realistically it wouldn't have gone down like that. They were struggling as a race & it'd be idiotic to have them all try something new & experimental on themselves. Which if it went wrong, it would doom them all. Instead they would have isolated & tested it on a single subject. Monitored them then gradually spread it to the others.

It's moronic to get everyone together then have them all take the magic new pill, especially when nobody knows what the long-term consequences would be. If it goes pear shaped, they're all screwed all because they were rash in jumping into something weithout knowing what the outcome would be.
                          The only possible explanations I can think of are:
                          1. They did test it on a single person/group of persons as monitored them for 6 months maybe. Everything was fine so they gave everyone the treatment, and then the disease became apparent and by that time it was too late.
                          2. They were all so close to dying that the only option was to all have the treatment and take the risk (think on the floor gasping for breath desperate).
                          3. Either that, or they still haven't learnt that they ain't exactly that good with genetics, thought they had the solution and were so confident it would work that they just gave it out to everyone and didn`t really think of the consequences.

Comment

Do we know if Hermiod died with them? Wasn't he in the Pegasus galaxy at the time...?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                              As for their ships, i believe they are all destroyed. Of course it would be nice if we got an Oniell but for them it must have been like a general handing a new recruit the keys to a Nimitz class aircraft carrier.
                              Admiral. GEnerals don't have command access on Naval warships.

But true enough. The Asgard did what they could. I'm just surprised they didn't ask for our help earlier.

Though, if they store their consciousness in comptuer storage, I'm surprised they couldn't just revert to an earler model of the clone body and just go from there. That way they avoid the whole disease and suicide thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X